• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ULTROS announced - a psychedelic metroidvania PS4/5 & PC

near

Gold Member

You wake up stranded, after seemingly crashing your ship on The Sarcophagus — a giant, space-drifting, cosmic uterus holding an ancient demonic being known as ULTROS. Trapped in the eternal loop of a black hole, you will have to explore The Sarcophagus and meet its inhabitants to understand the part you play.

Are you the gruesome breaker of this cycle, or can you become a link from destruction to rebirth?

A PSYCHEDELIC SCI-FI JOURNEY

steam_feat1.gif

ULTROS is set in a multifaceted realm - a vast alien landscape teeming with life. Grounded in science fiction, ULTROS comes wrapped in an eccentric art style and a mystical soundtrack from the visionary El Huervo, renowned for his work on Hotline Miami. ULTROS explores meta-themes of mental health, life, death, and karmic cycles through deep lore and environmental storytelling.

A WORLD OF CONTRAST

steam_feat2.gif

Experience brutal, intimate, close-quarter combat with cosmic lifeforms, driven by a sense of urgency – where precision is paramount and every cut of your blade counts. Yet this intense combat is juxtaposed with cultivating the greenery and tending to plant life in The Sarcophagus, providing precious moments of contemplation and peace. In turn, this grants deeper access to obscured paths.

A MYSTERIOUS, LAYERED LOOP

steam_feat3.gif

The rich world of ULTROS holds many secrets for those curious enough — and fearless enough — to seek them out. A unique loop-based mechanic will allow you to start over at key moments in the story, providing opportunities to unfold such secrets, unlock different areas of the world and new abilities on a branching skill tree. Experiment with and master your own specific fighting style as you explore the world of ULTROS. Each loop brings you closer to the truth...

Astray

Gold Member
This looked kinda bad, the visuals are just.. far too much.

Like I can tell that I would be distracted from combat sequences by whatever psychedelia that's happening at the moment.

Pejo

Very visually distracting. Looks like one of those games where you have to do trial and error a lot because you can't tell what damages you and what doesn't.

skit_data

This looked cool, definitely on my watchlist.

Edit: My only issue is that there seems to be some kind of inconsistency when it comes to the art. Some stuff looks really good and some stuff just seems unfinished. Like two artists having different styles.

Last edited:

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
From the showcase trailer I thought the art direction was cool but don't particularly dig seeing it in motion - looks too much like flash animation in parts.

Since everyone is talking about how trippy the game is, here is a good "simulator" YouTube video. Just note that the mental effects are just as if not more intense than the sensory ones and that this video only simulates the visual and auditory effects.

It's also good fun for people who have tripped before lol.

Anyways, this game looks cool but I hope it's not too much like dead cells. A Majora's mask like metroidvania would be cool.

So this is how videogames look when you're high, uh?
You got damn right, blessings to my edibles lol.

I love metroidvanias(And try to play em all, even the bad ones lol) so ill be getting this for cheap on the PC, but it was a little weird to see it shown at a Sony specific show tbh.

The Fartist

Gold Member
Since everyone is talking about how trippy the game is, here is a good "simulator" YouTube video. Just note that the mental effects are just as if not more intense than the sensory ones and that this video only simulates the visual and auditory effects.

It's also good fun for people who have tripped before lol.

Anyways, this game looks cool but I hope it's not too much like dead cells. A Majora's mask like metroidvania would be cool.

sqox2Rm.jpg

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
tf is this shit named after me

Last edited:

skit_data

I can't make up my mind about the aesthetics of this game. On one side it feels too busy and hard to read but I also really like it.

Top Bottom