• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK : #1 Borderlands 3, Gears 5 Sold a Quarter of Gears 4 Sales (Boxed Sales)

Evilms

Banned

Top 10 UK :

1. Borderlands 3 (N)
  2. Gears 5 (N)
  3. eFootball PES 2020 (N)
  4. NBA 2K20
  5. Greedfall (N)
  6. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
  7. Spyro Reignited Trilogy
  8. Grand Theft Auto V
  9. Crash Team Racing Nitro Fueled
  10. Super Mario Maker 2

Gears 5 sold a quarter of the box sales of Gears of War 4 at its launch in 2016.

The numbers (physical only) of Gears of War series on this territory:

[2006] Gears of War ~ 100,000
[2008] Gears of War 2 ~ 220,000
[2011] Gears of War 3 ~ 323,000
[2013] Gears of War Judgement ~ 80,000
[2015] Gears of War Remake Ultimate Edition ~ 40,000
[2016] Gears of War 4 ~ 80,000
[2019] Gears 5 ~ 22,000

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
The thing is, we do not live in a gamepass world....We live in a "sell many copies of this new game at $60.00 on day 1 at retail and through digital stores"......This is how you recoup the high development costs today...….

Gears 5, did worse than 4 and there is no evidence that gamepass encourages people to buy more games....If they eventually buy the game, it's definitely not at $60.....

The thing is, we do not live in a gamepass world....We live in a "sell many copies of this new game at $60.00 on day 1 at retail and through digital stores"......This is how you recoup the high development costs today...….

Gears 5, did worse than 4 and there is no evidence that gamepass encourages people to buy more games....If they eventually buy the game, it's definitely not at $60.....

I'm legit interested in how well the Gamepass model works for Microsoft. Is this going to be like that movie pass thing which eventually went bankrupt? I'm not good enough at figuring out financials to understand if things are working for a company or not, personally.

Birdo

Banned
I don't know a single person who buys physical anymore (UK). All our Game stores have shut down and Supermarkets have a little shelf for them. Physical is pretty much dead here.

I'll assume the bulk was Digital and Gamepass.

MilkyJoe

It's not about encouraging to buy the games , it's about more people being subscribed than would have bought the game, paying the nominal every month until the end of time

Airbus Jr

Banned
Told everyone that Gamepass is killing sales for upcoming xbox game couple months ago but nobody believes me

Now when Gears 5 only made 1/4 of 4 i guess now everyone start to believe in me

mejin

Gamepass model is impossible for Sony or Nintendo. Only MS can burn so much money to offer a big AAA project for a buck and call it a sucess because "millions" are playing. I wonder how many games of this caliber they can offer a year like this.

Anyway, there was no doubt the game was destined to flop on sales. The gamepass deal is massive for the consumer.

Airbus Jr

Banned
No one believed you? Of course, most people knew that. It's common sense and not even worth pointing out.

I dont even have to prove myself at this point

The numbers speak for itself

Feel free to throw another jab

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

Precisely. Congratulations Microsoft, you’ve figured out how to get people not to buy games and instead buy a $2 rental plan. It won’t keep the lights on, but it at least must feel good.... right?

McCheese

No amount of funko pops are going to keep game shops alive, those numbers are an insane shift in not much time.

Mattyp

Gold Member
I dont even have to prove myself at this point

The numbers speak for itself

Feel free to throw another jab

Who didn't believe you Monster? People where always going to go with Gamepass over physical when most of the younger generation already don't appreciate physical or actually owning anything they purchase already.

All this shows me is how massive Gamepass is actually becoming. We'll get Gears 5 numbers very soon and we'll see close enough Gamepass subscriptions numbers via that, we already know its in the millions.

thelastword

Banned
The other thing is this, saying a game launched at the wrong time makes absolutely no sense...….This is Gears of War, one of MS's premier franchises, if people aren't buying it, something else is wrong.....Lets be honest, Xfans made lots of noise about Crackdown 3, SOT, SOD2, Forza Horizon 4, but they gamepassed all of these titles even if they knew buying these games at $60 would help the devs much more..... You can launch your game anytime, as long as the game appeals to people, they will buy it at the launch price......

I'm legit interested in how well the Gamepass model works for Microsoft. Is this going to be like that movie pass thing which eventually went bankrupt? I'm not good enough at figuring out financials to understand if things are working for a company or not, personally.
Yeah, Gamepass being successful is just PR fluff at the moment.....It's just like that Iraqi general saying all is well, we have everything under control, whilst missiles litter the background where he stood...….Moreover, MS just announced great numbers for Gears 5, as beating Fortnite on Live, but the reality is, it's really all those people on gamepass, Xbox and PC and those from Steam boosting those number tremendously...…..It really says nothing about how Gears is doing relative to sales or profit.....

In my estimation, for MS to make gamepass viable, they would need 500 million to 1 billion subs at the current/regular $1-2 a month gamepass offers.....Even if 10 million people gamepass Gears 5 and that's being generous, it wont be close to being worth it, anything but....

I don't know a single person who buys physical anymore (UK). All our Game stores have shut down and Supermarkets have a little shelf for them. Physical is pretty much dead here.

I'll assume the bulk was Digital and Gamepass.
People still do, as is shown by NPD, UK charts etc.......Yet this whole gen I have been Digital only and I don't plan to go back.....I bought all my main and favourite franchises at launch $60...…...

Yet as you indicated, more persons will shift to digital as more stores continue to shutter......Still, The replacement model vs Physical puts more money in Sony and MS's pocket.....You don't have to press any discs for digital, think about returns or damaged shipments, insurance, shipment costs, marketing at stores, customs charges etc etc.....The games are on Sony and MS's storefront, they make max profit......So with so many game studios closing down in this fickle industry already, why would gamepass be viable now....it cant be. The gamepass model is no where near viable for consoles, not at 14.99 a month and certainly not at $1-2 for two months...…..MS has to motorboat subs like they are Netflix on Crack. they need to hit markets like China, Europe and Japan and even expand their sub-base in America much much more.......I just don't see it......At least not yet...

Vawn

Banned
so how many ways can you guys spin it some more that gamepass is a bad thing?
very rare to actually go into a physical game store these days ..there is a reason gamestop and many bricks and mortar sellers are moving onto other things as physical media is dying...and very fast

There's a lot more going into GameStop's issues than digital sales. For example, WalMart is all over the place and sell almost every new video game for $10 cheaper than GameStop.

Wings 嫩翼翻せ

so it's not nice
so how many ways can you guys spin it some more that gamepass is a bad thing?
very rare to actually go into a physical game store these days ..there is a reason gamestop and many bricks and mortar sellers are moving onto other things as physical media is dying...and very fast

I was actually trying to do some internet sleuthing in hopes to discover the effects Game Pass subscription has on revenue... I'm having trouble.

However, if this news provides any suggestion of the potential future of physical sales, then things seem to be heading towards decline. This game isn't the first to suffer, too, I think.

xrnzaaas

Gears 5 didn't choose a bad week to launch, a normal thinking person won't pay full price for this game when they can play it in Game Pass (for a dollar) and buy a copy in 2-3 months when it's discounted.

Imo Microsoft is playing a long game with Game Pass (and trying to generate a huge userbase) or they're desperate. I've already made up my mind not to buy any retail XB1 games because the 1$ Game Pass offers are popping up constantly.

Last edited:
There's a lot more going into GameStop's issues than digital sales. For example, WalMart is all over the place and sell almost every new video game for $10 cheaper than GameStop.
but physical media in itself is a dying medium and has been for some time
people trying to compare sales figure of something that is

1) not the preferred content delivery method
2) People can get for $1 as long as they join the MS ecosystem

its a pretty stupid comparison to have...like it or not subscription based services are going to be the common place going forward and this will be good for all games and gamers
gears5 is actually a pretty solid game and getting it for free instead of paying $60 on something which lasts 10 hours is a great thing

Airbus Jr

Banned
Yes. Great job Captain Obvious. Any other great predictions? Do you predict the sun will rise tomorrow?

Is there any particular reason here with your recent behavior / about you re becoming hostile toward me ?

We used to be on the same side ( playstation camp) in case you ve forgotten

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Who in their right mind would buy a physical copy of this when you can get it on Gamepass, I think MS will be surprised it sold that many.

xrnzaaas

They have been resting. Gears 4 came out in 2016 and Halo 5 came out in 2015. It's not like they're being shat out each year.
Generally the idea of resting an IP is to think of new ways of reinventing the gameplay or general state of the series. I haven't played Gears 5 yet, but 4 felt like more of the same (with some things done worse than in Gears 1-3).

small_law

Not every franchise needs to live forever. The original Gears of War trilogy was great and concluded well. For me at least, pumping out sequels is a case of diminishing returns.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I'm one of those who is inclined to believe that Gamepass will be a long term negative for the industry. I am having a hard time seeing how MS will be able to sustain high first party development costs with it and provide 3rd party games to it over the long run.
I think MS made a huge mistake opening up Day 1 availability for 1st party games. There is no going back from it. What I fear will happen is that 1st party development will suffer drastically as new games will need to be put out quickly and quality will suffer and developers will become lazy. Gamepass had a place and is excellent to put older games on and is an absolutely perfect gift for Xmas.

I bought two additional years of Xbox Live Gold for like $80 and spent the $1 to have all of that converted to Xbox Ultimate so I am no doubt going to enjoy playing MS 1st party games for the next 2+ years. I can't complain that I got something good out of it already. How many of the current subscribers took advantage of it and how many will stay on the service once the mega deal ends? WHo knows?

DanielsM

Banned
Part game pass, part the game has lost it audience. The truth of the matter, is peak audience was probably GoW1. I don't really see a sustainable business model with Game Pass for new games, Phil sold Satya a bill of goods.

Enjoy the free games while they last.
MS should release Gears on Playstation. Nothing to lose at this point :|

They need to go where the customers are, but not sure even a old school GoW fan like myself could stomach the Coalition. Remaster 1-3/J with some other studio and I'm there on day 1.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
I'm one of those who is inclined to believe that Gamepass will be a long term negative for the industry. I am having a hard time seeing how MS will be able to sustain high first party development costs with it and provide 3rd party games to it over the long run.
I think MS made a huge mistake opening up Day 1 availability for 1st party games. There is no going back from it. What I fear will happen is that 1st party development will suffer drastically as new games will need to be put out quickly and quality will suffer and developers will become lazy. Gamepass had a place and is excellent to put older games on and is an absolutely perfect gift for Xmas.

I bought two additional years of Xbox Live Gold for like $80 and spent the $1 to have all of that converted to Xbox Ultimate so I am no doubt going to enjoy playing MS 1st party games for the next 2+ years. I can't complain that I got something good out of it already. How many of the current subscribers took advantage of it and how many will stay on the service once the mega deal ends? WHo knows?

Made a very good point here

First party game like this shouldnt appeared on gamepass so soon

They shouldve wait for at least 6-7 months latter before putting Gears 5 on Gamepass

No one is going to get brand new Gears 5 at store for $60 if they knew they can get it for just $2

Last edited:

Dibils2k

tbh NPD means nothing now with the increase in digital sales and services like gamepass, we need a new metric, amount of unique players or something

Last edited:

xStoyax

Banned
tbh NPD means nothing now with the increase in digital sales and services like gamepass, we need a new metric, amount of unique players or something

New metric....like how many bananas were eatin in Sea of Thieves???

Unique players don't mean shit, and that's what MS will brag about with Gears. But when you install a game cause you got it for $2 and then you uninstall it after 30 mins....is that a number you wanna brag about?

Dibils2k

Not every franchise needs to live forever. The original Gears of War trilogy was great and concluded well. For me at least, pumping out sequels is a case of diminishing returns.
speak for yourself, gears 5 is easily the best playing gears to date

i hate how nonfans just come out with things like "just let it die"... if it wasnt making money it would die dont worry, but its clearly still profitable so stfu and enjoy whatever you enjoy

Dibils2k

New metric....like how many bananas were eatin in Sea of Thieves???

Unique players don't mean shit, and that's what MS will brag about with Gears. But when you install a game cause you got it for $2 and then you uninstall it after 30 mins....is that a number you wanna brag about?
true

then they need a way to add digital sales atleast

NPD does count digital for most games now, they normally have an asterik next to the games that don't have digital sales, in fact. They're the exception not the rule.

To me the only way millions of people playing Gears 5 for 1-2 bucks pays out is if they're selling those microtransactions, that's how games like Fortnite sustain themselves.

onQ123

LOL they really tried to pull that excuse out the bag

Top Bottom