• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft: "Xbox Games Going Multiplatform Wouldn't Make A Huge Impact"

Draugoth

Gold Member
ubisoft-nao-acha-que-a-microsoft-virar-multiplataforma-tera-um-grande-impacto-na-industria-103703.jpg

During a Q&A session as part of Ubisoft's most recent third-quarter earnings call, Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot was asked for his comment on the recent Microsoft reports and what effect such a move might have on Ubisoft's business.

Guillemot could not officially comment or confirm the rumors, but said Microsoft would "decide what's best for them" in regard to publishing its first-party games on competing platforms like the Nintendo Switch and PlayStation 5. As for what kind of impact such a move might have, according to Guillemot, not much.

"What you have to look at, anyway, Activision Blizzard used to be multiplatform, so it would have an impact, but it's not a huge impact on the industry,"

Guillemot said.

When a platform going multiplatform isn't a huge impact on the industry, the purpose of a platform was not reached at all.

I'd love if MS actually does this that Sony and Nintendo agrees to a deal, where both release their games on their competitors platform since PS5 and Switch(2) are not necessarily competing anyway. So basically all becoming multiplatform and the remaining two sharing the handheld console space simply half & half and fight for the market only via the quality of their games.

Neofire

ubisoft-nao-acha-que-a-microsoft-virar-multiplataforma-tera-um-grande-impacto-na-industria-103703.jpg

During a Q&A session as part of Ubisoft's most recent third-quarter earnings call, Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot was asked for his comment on the recent Microsoft reports and what effect such a move might have on Ubisoft's business.

Guillemot could not officially comment or confirm the rumors, but said Microsoft would "decide what's best for them" in regard to publishing its first-party games on competing platforms like the Nintendo Switch and PlayStation 5. As for what kind of impact such a move might have, according to Guillemot, not much.

Guillemot said.
Talk about down playing lol. I don't game on Xbox and know it would definitely have a major impact... ..to Xbox users

MrTired

Talk about down playing lol. I don't game on Xbox and know it would definitely have a major impact... ..to Xbox users
Exactly to the Xbox user, however to Unisoft not really the AAA market is already ultra competitive so it shouldn't meaning impact Ubisofts revenue when majority of the game Microsoft now own were already multiplatform.

Reaseru

My take, but for Guillemot to start diminishing Xbox as a brand, it means he no longer sees Xbox or MS as a potential client to distribute their(Ubi) games...Meaning, they now are a rival brand, software wise.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
My take, but for Guillemot to start diminishing Xbox as a brand, it means he no longer sees Xbox or MS as a potential client to distribute their(Ubi) games...Meaning, they now are a rival brand, software wise.
Also, I think that was what the person wanted to ask -- the potential impact (positive or negative) of not having Xbox as a platform partner but a competitor on another platform (PS5).

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It states it in the OP.

As in their gaming business.

Yes, as in Microsoft possibly releasing 3P games on Playstation will not impact Ubisoft's business as they'll continue to operate as a multi-platform developer already.

How you somehow twisted this into saying he means Ubisoft won't release games on Xbox is a masterstroke.

bitbydeath

Yes, as in Microsoft possibly releasing 3P games on Playstation will not impact Ubisoft's business as they'll continue to operate as a multi-platform developer already.

How you somehow twisted this into saying he means Ubisoft won't release games on Xbox is a masterstroke.
That sounds like a bit of a stretch, obviously more developers wouldn’t impact anyone. I think you understood it wrong.

adamsapple

That sounds like a bit of a stretch, obviously more developers wouldn’t impact anyone. I think you understood it wrong.

I think it's pretty clear, you're just trying to read into it too much.

Why would Activision games releasing multi-platform impact Ubisoft's business. Their games were releasing multi-platform already and it seems like CoD etc will continue to even after the acquisition. So, not much change there.

Last edited:

Mooreberg

Activision Blizzard used to be multiplatform

When did they ever actually stop being multiplatform? Unless something flew under my radar, they weren't positioned like Bethesda to try to keep (what they were hoping would be) a big game off of PS5.

bitbydeath

I think it's pretty clear, you're just trying to read into it too much.

Why would Activision games releasing multi-platform impact Ubisoft's business. Their games were releasing multi-platform already and it seems like CoD etc will continue to even after the acquisition. So, not much change there.
There’s no value in the question you’re interpreting. Asking about the impacts of them going multiplatform (and therefore leaving their own console behind) makes more sense to be the question.

adamsapple

There’s no value in the question you’re interpreting. Asking about the impacts of them going multiplatform (and therefore leaving their own console behind) makes more sense to be the question.

It would help immensely if the OP would actually source the article the quote is from with a link, and post the very next lines, instead of just cutting it off out-of-context. Draugoth Draugoth

When he says Activision Blizzard's games releasing MP wouldn't have much of an impact, even the article states it being the same reason I gave above.

"What you have to look at, anyway, Activision Blizzard used to be multiplatform, so it would have an impact, but it's not a huge impact on the industry," Guillemot said.

As Guillemot points out, many games released by Activision Blizzard, which is now part of Microsoft following its $69 billion acquisition of the company, have long been multiplatform. That includes franchises like Call of Duty, Diablo, and Overwatch.

Last edited:

Mahavastu

I mean it would kill the Xbox console, so I think it would make a difference
not so much for Ubisoft, and that what matters for the Ubisoft investors who asked the question.
If XBox consoles would stop to exist, its users over time would go to PC or Playstation and buy their games there.
It would not happen from one day to another, it would take a few years, but it would happen.

Last edited:
Top Bottom