• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft seemingly ditching the "Tom Clancy" brand for XDefiant

kingfey

Banned
XDefiant

Channel 9 Reaction GIF by Married At First Sight

Every day, I keep hating, what ubisoft has become. Them and EA were pinnacle of gaming. Now they are nothing but turds.

Saucy Papi

XDefiant

Channel 9 Reaction GIF by Married At First Sight

Every day, I keep hating, what ubisoft has become. Them and EA were pinnacle of gaming. Now they are nothing but turds.
I'm not sure if I would have ever classified EA as the pinnacle of gaming but Ubisoft used to be my favorite developer/publisher and I cannot even begin to be excited about anything they do anymore. Just bloated, microtransaction heavy garbage now.

kingfey

Banned
I'm not sure if I would have ever classified EA as the pinnacle of gaming but Ubisoft used to be my favorite developer/publisher and I cannot even begin to be excited about anything they do anymore. Just bloated, microtransaction heavy garbage now.
The early games of EA were good (need for speed, early fifa, bioware, battlefield). But went downhill after that.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
It would be interesting if they made a rainbow six game based on the book. Resetera would freak out.

Tom Clancy books from the 80s don't exactly fit neatly wtih the mindset that pervades Ubi's writing rooms. Jack Ryan the book character became the president, not explicitly GOP but it was clear from the political opponents in the books that's what he was.

Saucy Papi

The early games of EA were good (need for speed, early fifa, bioware, battlefield). But went downhill after that.
Bioware was actually its own independent studio before EA bought them out right around the time Mass Effect 2 came out. You can see their level of output after that which is why so many people resent them. Maxis, Westwood, Bioware, etc... The studios they buy out either die or decrease in quality.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Ubisoft is EA with actually good project management - equally creatively bankrupt, but at least they ship games on time.

Zannegan

Not a bad move. It won't be the thing that saves it, but it does at least cut some of the baggage that's been dragging it down since the announcement. Might actually have the chance to breathe a bit and be its own thing.

kyussman

I'm surprised they would put the Clancy name on anything these days.....given what a bunch of lefties game devs are.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Not a bad move. It won't be the thing that saves it, but it does at least cut some of the baggage that's been dragging it down since the announcement. Might actually have the chance to breathe a bit and be its own thing.
Do you really think there is a place for another GaaS without radical change to the established paradigm? I don't think so and likewise - this game does nothing new.

halfHedge

Neo Member
Is it just me, or does it seem like Ubisoft is in complete freefall and the upper echelon is just sucking it dry with a straw from a distance of plausible deniability?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
They should dump the full name. Probably the entire game. I have no idea what it is, but it sounds edgy and stupid.

Zannegan

Do you really think there is a place for another GaaS without radical change to the established paradigm? I don't think so and likewise - this game does nothing new.
To your question, I honestly don't know how any of the GAAS hamster wheels make mounds of money selling skins and season passes, so I'm not really fit to judge. Lol.

But I didn't say it would be good or even successful--can't stand the whole skate deck/meme dance vibe meself, in fact. So, while it may not make a material difference, this seems like a good move. It can't hurt at least. *shrug*

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In March 2022, Ubisoft would drop the Tom Clancy brand and rebrand the title as a Ubisoft Original under the name XDefiant. The rebranding has meant that Ubisoft can now utilize its full range of IPs to introduce characters from other Ubisoft franchises into the game.

The first non-Tom Clancy faction to come to the game since the rebrand is the DedSec from the Watch Dogs franchise. If you’re not familiar with the DedSec, they are a secret hacking collective in the Watch Dogs series, and in XDefiant, they are built around hacking enemy equipment and 3D printing and replenishing their team’s grenades back.

DedSec is not the only change to come to factions either, with Wolves being renamed to Phantoms and the Outcasts have been removed from the game, at least temporarily. XDefiant’s factions now consist of:

Phantoms – From Ghost Recon games
Cleaners – From The Division games
Echelon – From Splinter Cell games
Dedsec – From Watch Dog games
Outcasts – From The Division games (Ubisoft has hinted that a healing faction will come to the game soon).

It’s expected that each faction will have at least three different characters to pick from, however at the moment Dedsec has 2, Cleaners have 3, Echelon has 1, and Phantoms have 1. At the moment, factions share the same perks and ultimate abilities, but you’ll be able to pick one unique ability.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Having held several ‘Insider Sessions’ for PC players last year, the latest playtest will see PS5, Xbox Series X/S and PC users playing together from February 16-20.

Participants will be able to sample four game modes and 13 maps, including a new battleground called Pueblito, which is set in the fictional Caribbean nation of Yara introduced in Far Cry 6.

Top Bottom