• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft Developing a Female-Driven Skull & Bones TV Show.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...g-a-female-driven-skull-bones-tv-show-1187642

Ubisoft is going where no video game adaptation has gone before.

The publishing giant has teamed with Atlas Entertainment (Dirty John, 12 Monkeys) to adapt its pirate adventure game Skull & Bones — before the game is even released. While the 2016 Michael Fassbender feature Assassin's Creed was based on one of Ubisoft's most popular franchises, this time the company's film and television division is doubling down on unproven IP.

"Ubisoft is known for creating innovative video games that combine immense worlds with rich narratives," says the company's director of development for television Danielle Kreinik, who will exec produce the TV show alongside head of Ubisoft film and television Jason Altman.

It's a bold vote of confidence for the open-world adventure game, which is planned for release this year. But is it presumptuous to assume it will be a hit? The TV adaptation is billed as a female-driven drama set in the lawless frontier of the Indian Ocean at the end of the golden age of piracy in the 1700s. Amanda Segel, who executive produced Spike TV's The Mist, will write the pilot and exec produce. Atlas' Andy Horwitz and Richard Suckle also will exec produce. Robert Amidon will help shepherd for Atlas.

Skull & Bones is the latest project in Ubisoft's aggressive push into film and TV. Its first live-action comedy, from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia's Rob McElhenney and Charlie Day, 3 Arts and Lionsgate, was ordered straight to series by Apple. Meanwhile, David Leitch is developing a feature based on Ubisoft's The Division series, with Jake Gyllenhaal and Jessica Chastain attached to star.

Oh, I thought it was in reference to that late 90s movie about the secret society at Harvard or whatever.

Last edited:

TeamGhobad

Banned
we've had 2 pirate tv shows and both failed. its a big gamble and the game doesn't have the buzz/hype to warrant a tv show.

BlazinAm

we've had 2 pirate tv shows and both failed. its a big gamble and the game doesn't have the buzz/hype to warrant a tv show.

Which shows? I can only think of Black Sails and that had 5 seasons. and it was pretty good tbh.
The game doesn't even have enough hype to warrant a tv series in any way.

KonradLaw

Wrong Ubisoft pirate to base your show on.
tumblr_o5ku08V2ZQ1r2rogso2_r1_540.gif

Finally, someone showing that all pirates were women.

No, but interestingly enough, arguably the most successful pirate in history was a woman:

She was also very progressive and ahead of her time. For example, if one of her male pirates raped anyone, that pirate would be killed... unless they had permission from their squadron leader. It might surprise you, but I've seen articles on some sites that omit that particular detail.

If only women ruled the world, am I right?

Another fun fact talked about in the video: She found many volunteers for her army of pirates from the people she defeated in warfare. They had the choice of either joining her and celebrating the victory with the rest of her crew, or having their feet nailed to the ship and then being beaten to death.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
They had the choice of either joining her and celebrating the victory with the rest of her crew, or having their feet nailed to the ship and then being beaten to death.

Cue the ex-wife jokes...

I do not understand the market Venn diagram on this one. Women who love pirates and open-world video games?

Fbh

It's ubisoft and all so there's a good chance it will at least sell decently.
But still, why not wait until the game is an actual hit before trying to turn it into some multi media project?

tumblr_o1ja0pEuV51qlv9bto1_400.jpg

guggnichso

Banned
There’s nothing wrong with a women driven pirate TV show. It’s just fantasy anyway, there’s no need to complain about this.

We‘ll see if they make something entertaining out of that premise. It could very well be some funny and entertaining adventure romp, it could also fail miserably. Until there’s footage, we know nothing.

However, pirate stories seem to be not that popular. The original first Pirates of the Carribean was great for me as a fan of the first two Monkey Island games. I mean, ghost pirates in a Hollywood adventure comedy with Depp as an alcoholic weirdo failed pirate wannabe? Fantastic and great. That was also back then when this wasn’t Depps only Shtick.

So let’s see where this goes.

iconmaster

Banned
There’s nothing wrong with a women driven pirate TV show. It’s just fantasy anyway, there’s no need to complain about this.

Agreed. Might even be enjoyable for the guys.

(Sometimes I post in the hopes that users of a certain other forum are occasionally checking GAF and just absolutely seething)

Last edited:

guggnichso

Banned
Agreed. Might even be enjoyable for the guys.

(Sometimes I post in the hopes that users of a certain other forum are occasionally checking GAF and just absolutely seething)

lol 😂I was actually thinking of mentioning this pirate movie in my original post, but thought that would be too low hanging fruit 🙈

Hissing Sid

Feeling generous today so I thought I’d do a little bit of localised market research for OobiSoft for free.

Wifey gave me a twisty faced, slightly puzzled ‘No thanks’.

Son glanced up from his iPad, beetled his brows, didn’t answer and went back to playing Roblox.

The dog showed some initial interest but then decided that licking her fanny had far greater entertainment value.

Will ask my daughter later as she’s busy sorting her Pokemon cards out atm.

I myself am more of a Sci-Fi guy so pirates of either sex are a bit of a non-starter.

Hope this helps Ubi.

Last edited:

zeorhymer

I thought the pirate craze fell out after Pirates of the Caribbean 2. I'm not a market researcher so what do I know. For all I know, there could be millions of dormant pirate fans just frothing for a movie!

Shifty

Real-life badass female pirates were a thing, just look at Gráinne Mhaol / Grace O'Malley.
Some five centuries later and people are still paying tribute to her place in Irish history:

Whether Ubisoft can execute on such an idea without making a current-year political mess of it, on the other hand, is a different question entirely. I'll give it a tentative 'no'.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
I love the pirate setting, easily my favourite.

Why the sexism, though?
Black Sails had lots of issues (the writing was so fucking stupid at times), true, but it was overall pretty good and enjoyable.
Real-life badass female pirates were a thing, just look at Gráinne Mhaol / Grace O'Malley.
Some five centuries later and people are still paying tribute to her place in Irish history:

Whether Ubisoft can execute on such an idea without making a current-year political mess of it, on the other hand, is a different question entirely. I'll give it a tentative 'no'.

Pretty cool song.

Last edited:
Top Bottom