• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft CEO defends Skull and Bones’ $70 price despite its live service leanings, calls it ‘quadruple-A’

Connxtion

ship+down.gif
Should be a budget game, as we can buy black flag for a fraction of the price and it’s basically the same game but with more.

King Dazzar

Tried the beta on PS5 and its all very meh. The performance mode looks like its running lower than 1080p and a game from PS3, quality mode has it looking quiet nice, but stutters in both quality and performance modes. Plays a bit like Black Flag but with a lot less polish. Story bits looked unfinished. Unfortunately its yet another one I'll be skipping. So how about £0 from moi.

AAAA, what a joke. No optimisation effort has been put into this, when you see how it looks and how low res the performance mode is, they be taking the piss.

Last edited:

havoc00

Tried the beta on PS5 and its all very meh. The performance mode looks like its running lower than 1080p and a game from PS3, quality mode has it looking quiet nice, but stutters in both quality and performance modes. Plays a bit like Black Flag but with a lot less polish. Story bits looked unfinished. Unfortunately its yet another one I'll be skipping. So how about £0 from moi.

AAAA, what a joke. No optimisation effort has been put into this, when you see how it looks and how low res the performance mode is.
How does it have less polish with like 10 years of development lmao

King Dazzar

What were they doing for 10 plus years lol
Who knows. I'd rather we just had a remake of Black Flag tbh.

The thing is Black Flag already had pretty good gameplay and that game is 10 years old.
Yeah I enjoyed Black Flag. I think there's some actual use of wind in this all be it very very lite use. And its combat seems OK and intuitive. But Black Flag with proper wind impact on sailing would be amazing for me. This isnt that. But tbh I gave up after 30 minutes due to how ropey it looked in performance mode.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Who knows. I'd rather we just had a remake of Black Flag tbh.

Yeah I enjoyed Black Flag. I think there's some actual use of wind in this all be it very very lite use. And its combat seems OK and intuitive. But Black Flag with proper wind impact on sailing would be amazing for me. This isnt that. But tbh I gave up after 30 minutes due to how ropey it looked in performance mode.
Agree on they. Black Flag Remake/Sequel/Whatever (drop modern BS) would be pretty amazing with enhanced combat , with wind, potentially other environmental factors affecting combat/movement.

I'm never that into pirate themed games outside of Monkey Island, so I never would have get this game anyway. but isn't this the same CEO who said consumers should get used to not owning the games they paid for and stuff? well, I'm used to not owning Ubisoft games so I'll keep doing that.

havoc00

I'm never that into pirate themed games outside of Monkey Island, so I never would have get this game anyway. but isn't this the same CEO who said consumers should get used to not owning the games they paid for and stuff? well, I'm used to not owning Ubisoft games so I'll keep doing that.
Yea this dude is on a roll recently

RavageX

Is it the same guy? I WAS going to say that this is a beta folks and I think it is important to give it a fair try considering how long they have been working on it. I am trying it myself on PC.

But FUCK THAT GUY. If they EVER want to know why a game might fail is because he said something about it.

Its not cause the game is bad or unpolished, its because he said some foul shit previously and his words will taint anything he mentions.

Shit's hilarious. Mfs at Ubisoft trying to create new terms in hopes of manipulating the idiots who are stupid enough to buy into that shit. Delusion at its finest.

There is one upcoming game that may be called quadruple A and that's GTA VI.

This game will flop so hard and people will shit hard on it, deservedly so after reading through this nonsense.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
skull-and-bones-a-768x432.jpg

Imagine being this out of touch with reality. Does no one check this retard?

The second this catches the net you light on fire sales for the game, reviews of the game, turn yourself and your company into a meme, and lessen any value your brand holds in the market place.

It’s a Christmas miracle we got prince of Persia under Ubisoft in the quality we did.

yurinka

If you spend the entire game on a boat, it probably is huge.
You don't spend the entire game on a boat.

Weren't beta testers impressions not very good?
True, this is the reason of why first they rebooted its development, and later they took some extra years more to improve the game. If they didn't cancel it or delayed it and will release it now it's because it's good enough for them to ship it.

Just thinking they dveloped this Game instead of Beyond G and E 2
BGE2 continues under development.

What the hell does "Quadruple-A" even mean now? Other than being a punchline?
AAAA means they spent a huge ass budget to make this game, bigger than the average AAA game.

Can Ubisoft get rid of this turd of a CEO already?

Why the fuck do they persist with this clown.
No, he and his family and the workers controls the majority of the votes. Plus they are the most successful European publisher, there's no reason to get rid of him.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
There's nothing wrong with $70 video games. Gamers simply have unrealistic expectations when it comes to value.

You go see Oppenheimer for 3 hours and pay $20 for the ticket alone. No one says anything. You buy 2 tickets. And popcorn. Thats 50 bucks. For 3 hours.

Yet you'd all bitch and moan for an $80 GTA6 that will entertain you for hundreds if not THOUSANDS of hours. Give me a break.

If you want high quality AAA games. Be prepared to pay for them.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

True, this is the reason of why first they rebooted its development, and later they took some extra years more to improve the game. If they didn't cancel it or delayed it and will release it now it's because it's good enough for them to ship it.
Ubisoft good enough to ship = playable*

*fun not guaranteed, might include a bug infestation

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
As if game being AAA or AAAAAAAA is any indication the game's actual quality.....Armored Core VI was AA and has the fraction of the budget of this game and yet it was one best games I played las year.

That shit means nothing.....nothing at all.....it just marketing BS of how much money spend on this.

Even in movie industry Godzila minus one managed to outclass most of crazy budget Hollywood movies.

DryvBy

I tried it and yeah, it's pretty jank. I'm a pirate sucker too.

The tutorial was great. I loved Black Flag and more of that I could ignore the GAAS crap if they continued to work on it (they're probably not). But the moment I was lock picking a wooden wall from my ship to get to an area, I was scratching my head. That's a stupid way to bust open a wall. Why even have the wall?

Then I fired a canon and they didn't bother to animate the movement of a canon. So I'm looking at something to the side of the canon, I shoot it. It's just a blast of of the actual side of the canon. It looks dumb. And I'm certain they have you quick unload off the canon because it just goes blank and you're no longer on the canon lol.

The water effects are nothing compared to Sea of Theives. SoT you can get lost looking at the sea. It looks oddly real for a cartoony game. The boat handles like a Creed game feels but yeah, I just don't really care about this one. If this was $20, yeah I'd play. Maybe. Actually probably not because I only played more than 5 minutes because it was getting worse as I played.

Also, on PS5 someone try to save a video. The above I wanted to save but every time I record it record nothing but the menu.

Top Bottom