• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft appears to have sold a grand total of 15 NFTs

Bullet Club

Ubisoft appears to have sold a grand total of 15 NFTs​

Ghost town.

Ubisoft's NFT platform, Quartz, caused quite a stir when it was announced at the beginning of the month.

The publisher revealed Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Breakpoint was to be the first game to offer NFTs in a beta trial in select countries not including the UK.

With just under a month since its announcement then, just how successful has Ubisoft's foray into the blockchain been?

First spotted by Apex Legends senior character artist Liz Edwards, Ubisoft appears to have sold a grand total of 15 NFTs between the two marketplaces it's using: Objikt and Rarible.

Based on my rough maths, that's a total of 445.49 Tezos in sales, or $1755.30 in real money (based on the exchange rate at the time of writing).

Liz, I would argue has the perfect summation for her discovery:

It should be noted, however, that Ubisoft is also giving away the majority of its NFTs initially, which would reduce the number of sales it has made. But nevertheless, it seems the publisher's experiment into NFTs hasn't gotten off to the best of starts.

What's more, Quartz is designed so that only those who play Ubisoft's games can purchase an NFT, reducing the appeal for anyone looking to make a quick buck.

As journalist Stephen Totilo noted on Twitter, all Ubisoft NFT purchases appear to be for the gun skin in Ghost Recon. No one has bought the helmet, which requires 600 hours of playtime to obtain.

NFTs have been severely criticised in the industry, with Stalker 2 developer GSC Game World recently cancelling its NFT-related content following a significant backlash. Even Ubisoft's own staff are disappointed in Quartz.

Source: Eurogamer

GymWolf

Gold Member
donald-glover-good.gif

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
These are free and it's the owners who are trying to shift them for whatever they can get.

Its still stupid from ubi to try this on a dead game nobody plays anymore.

Don't they have a hand in the Sorare Fantasy Football (Soccer) platform too?

Won't surprise me if they're making bank elsewhere off NFT's.

Chukhopops

I think it would be a different story if the game was more popular. Take some trendy mobile game and tell the whales they can have a UNIQUE png waifu and they will pay the price.

I wouldn’t draw too many conclusions from one test.

• Empathy
Reactions: Fuz

Kacho

Gold Member
These companies are going to try everything possible to make NFTs a thing because it's basically free money.

It's going to be a long generation when it comes to this shit.

Irobot82

The only way this shit will work in the end is when it's player generated content and the creators get to make it unique and make the money or a big cut of the money.

RyRy93

So it has just released... in beta... for a game nobody cares about... but "lMaO uBi FaILeD!"

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Ubisoft isn't selling NFTs.

But those aftermarket numbers are pretty sad.

Of course.. it's for Breakpoint.. lol

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
These companies are going to try everything possible to make NFTs a thing because it's basically free money.

If stupid ass people just don't buy any then they don't make money

yurinka

These are only a proof of content test, a first step. They are only a free cosmetic customization item that almost that everybody who wanted it got it (excluding the one that requires a lot of played hours), so I assume it's normal to see low sales specially now that people isn't used to have NFT wallets and so on.

Regarding Ubisoft 'sales', they don't sell these NFTs and not sure but I'd say they don't even receive a % of the 2nd hand transactions between players (if it isn't the case as of now, they'll do in the future), I think right now only the 3rd party NFT stores were players sell them get a % of that transaction.

The fucker who wrote this tweet must have been laughing when they used the words 'BE UNIQUE' with a screen filled with identical grey helmets
The physical games you have at home they are also unique and can be sold in the 2nd hand market, even if they are exactly the same than millions of them that other players have at home.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

1) It's actually not free... NFTs cost money to "mint.", not to mention the extra coding required to integrate with trading site backends
2) They are already selling MTX... so NFTs only make sense if consumers respond by considering them more valuable, w/ the aftermarket opportunities
3) There's a chance if they take off backend deals w/ trading sites could be lucrative.. BUT
4) These NFTs are generally limited, unlike other NFTs.. they are tied to a game, and so the game company has to have some sort of connection to the trading site.. they aren't really "decentralized" any more than a regular MTX is. Speculative trading, and "inside trading" have been what drove prices up.. and there is unlikely to be much of that at all because of the lack of decentralization, and really because they are tied to a videogame
5) While games like Peter Molyneux's that are using NFTs have been successful.. pretty much the exact same thing has been done in other games, like 'Star Citizen', without the need for blockchain.. BECAUSEe
6) Pretty much everything you could ever do w/ an NFT can be done w/o NFTs. We have games w/ aftermarkets, we have entire platforms w/ aftermarkets for MTX (Steam), companies could make deals with any web site to allow them to create an aftermarket where the publisher takes a fee per sale w/o NFT..
7) The only thing NFTs really provide is... well, an association with the NFT tech, which is expensive... and.. if you hadn't noticed.. INCREDIBLY UNPOPULAR BASICALLY A LAUGHING STOCK OF THE INTERNET

NFTs have a completely unknown future in gaming because of the above, IMO.

Fahdis

Poor Implementation of NFTs. Nothing to distinguish the items. This is like Arabs trying to buy top 10 number plates for their cars. Even Crypto Punks is better than this shit. And Tezos? Why the fuck would you use this when you have Tron or USDT TRC with lightning fast consensus and pennies for fees. Ubisoft fucked up by not opening the platform to anyone.

IntentionalPun

And all 15 are from the developers, because no idiot will perpetuate these kinds of egregiousness!
Doubtful; would be highly illegal for Ubisoft to engage in that kind of activity, and they are a publicly traded company.

Also, the total sales value is like $300 across these small number of transactions.

The prices are.. not being pumped up.. they are abysmal lol

It does appear one person has bought a bunch of them though.. likely someone who thought getting in early would be a good idea.. and it still might be.. if R6 comes out with these and they blow up, the Breakpoint ones might blow up too, despite the tiny player base.

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
The physical games you have at home they are also unique and can be sold in the 2nd hand market, even if they are exactly the same than millions of them that other players have at home.
1. Physical second hand games sell for shit

2. That has no relation at all to this anyway

If you buy into this stuff you're a chump

winjer

Gold Member
That's 15 NFTs too may.
This plague can be killed at the beginning, if no one buys into this scam.

no one really gives a shit about NFT's, only reason people buy them is to hopefully make money. also money laundering. why the hell would you buy DLC on blockchain with crypto, you would have to pay taxes for it even. it just such a stupid idea.

Last edited:

MrTentakel

There is no reason to celebrate.
-Ubi is aware Breakpoint was released 30 month ago
-They know the number of active players
-This is a test, cost them next to nothing and they were not crucified by the press
-> That`s a success

Now expect the next test, maybe a game released last year which has still an active player base (cough, AC).

All they need are 1% dipshits to buy into the scam... they will. As with microtransctions and loot boxes, this will allow the publishers to earn shitloads of money - and they will.

Edit: We live in a world where gamers buy insurance for jpgs of spacecrafts for an unreleased game.

Last edited:

yurinka

1. Physical second hand games sell for shit
Some second hand games are sold for almost nothings and for other ones people can pay a million dollars. 2nd hand transaction are made if the one purchasing thinks that the price is worth it. Same goes with NFT.

2. That has no relation at all to this anyway
Both are 2nd hand transactions. NFTs only means secure 2nd hand market for digital items. Digital items that can be digital games, dlc, in-game items, music, books, pictures, video... whatever.

If you buy into this stuff you're a chump
Same can think people who doesn't like games about buying games.

Spaceman292

Banned
Both are 2nd hand transactions. NFTs only means secure 2nd hand market for digital items. Digital items that can be digital games, dlc, in-game items, music, books, pictures, video... whatever.
If the Ubisoft servers go down you lose it forever. I don't think that's very secure.
No idea what this is supposed to mean but reading this sentence gave me a stroke.

Batiman

Banned
Some second hand games are sold for almost nothings and for other ones people can pay a million dollars. 2nd hand transaction are made if the one purchasing thinks that the price is worth it. Same goes with NFT.

?

Top Bottom