• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twitter Death Watch |OT| How long until the bird dies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
verified checkmarks are blue everywhere now. only a few hours ago they were white when viewing the timeline.

edit: wtf is happening? twitter blue gone now?

edit 2: the checkmarks are back to white now.

Last edited:
Elon is clicking 'Feature on/off' buttons on the Twitter Control Panel, anything may happen at any time!
iu

It's still available for me?
same but seen some news places saying it's gone...

fuck knows

edit: it's gone on my ios app. still there on desktop.

Last edited:

DanteFox

The truth is that the people crowing about how Twitter is going down the tubes are the people who want it to be so, i.e. the people who are upset that it will be in the hands of someone who will let people on the right and center speak more freely. Twitter was vastly overvalued before the buyout, and Elon is merely exposing how poor the fundamentals were to begin with and taking rapid corrective action to shift Twitter into something new. There will be growing pains, and Elon's critics will exaggerate and selectively attack those growing pains as they are exposed, but they are necessary and will pay off in the long run.

The truth is that the people crowing about how Twitter is going down the tubes are the people who want it to be so, i.e. the people who are upset that it will be in the hands of someone who will let people on the right and center speak more freely. Twitter was vastly overvalued before the buyout, and Elon is merely exposing how poor the fundamentals were to begin with and taking rapid corrective action to shift Twitter into something new. There will be growing pains, and Elon's critics will exaggerate and selectively attack those growing pains as they are exposed, but they are necessary and will pay off in the long run.

if he is going to turn it into something new what do you think he paid for?

jason10mm

Gold Member
How do these fake accounts even get noticed? Wouldn't they have zero followers? Seems like that stuff would have to be a dead giveaway that this wasn't Lockheed, a Senator, or Elon himself. Who could even see that stuff other than folks trolling Twitter by using their legit account to signal boost a rando troll tweet?

E-Cat

no idea what you’re talking about or how that answers my question, he didn’t buy metcalfe’s law
Not too bright, are ya?

Edit: Ok I'll give it a shot, due to network effects existing social media platforms have extreme inertia. If you're a start-up, it takes a very long time to break through to the public consciousness. Hence, buy Twitter and accelerate timeline.

Last edited:
Not too bright, are ya?

I asked what he paid for, you replied with a wiki article on metcalfes law and then talking about timelines

but you are obviously rattled enough to dive into ad hominems so quickly, so I will join you in your new playground

you’ve already admitted you have nothing to contribute here except your blind faith in Musk, any discussion with you is equivalent to having one with any religious fanatic…so before accusing others of being “not too bright “ it might be prudent to educate yourself in absolutely any aspect that lets you discuss this topic other than “it being Musk”

Last edited:

E-Cat

I asked what he paid for, you replied with a wiki article on metcalfes law snd then talking about timelines

but you are obviously rattled enough to dive into ad hominems so quickly, so I will join you in your new playground

you’ve already admitted you have nothing to contribute here except your blind faith in Musk, any discussion with you is equivalent to having one with any religious fanatic…so before accusing others of being “not too bright “ it might be prudent to educate yourself in absolutely any aspect that lets you discuss this topic other than “it bring Musk”
See my edit, I thought it would be self-explanatory but apparently not. That said, my ad hominem was uncalled for. I will now exit this discussion.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Twitter's relatively entrenched position and the public's extensive conditioning to Elon's erratic behavior will insulate it to an extent, but when you're a huge, established platform, stability and steady growth are far preferable to memelord chaos. Social media moats can be deceptively shallow under the right circumstances, history has proven.
Yes, there could actually be not a lot there, when all is said and done, but I still feel like Twitter is very secure in their niche, considering the pathetic attempts at alternatives. The groupthink circlejerk (I'm exaggerating for comedy but I'm also not sure what else to describe it as lol) around the platform has reached a kind of critical mass of user inertia.

That being said, what I very curious to see is how the effect of subsidies will play out this time. Tesla and SpaceX benefited from a lot of government benefits, but I don't think Twitter will.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
So this man turned out to be massive fucking fool. Gotta love billionares exposing themselves as absolute morons.

As soon as I saw that he wanted these guys to roll out a new feature in 5 days or risk getting fired, I knew that it would a disastrous roll out and two, this man has no idea how to run a software development firm. Cant believe he made paypal. You simply cannot roll out features that fast without proper QA, beta testing, and in some cases focus testing. Anyone can code a feature in a day. The real time is spent on design, testing and iteration. lots of it.

Amiga

How do these fake accounts even get noticed? Wouldn't they have zero followers? Seems like that stuff would have to be a dead giveaway that this wasn't Lockheed, a Senator, or Elon himself. Who could even see that stuff other than folks trolling Twitter by using their legit account to signal boost a rando troll tweet?
They hardly trend, don't notice any fakes in my usual twitter search.

Some people look for these fakes to create drama. kind of like this..

Last edited:

EliteSmurf

So this man turned out to be massive fucking fool. Gotta love billionares exposing themselves as absolute morons.

As soon as I saw that he wanted these guys to roll out a new feature in 5 days or risk getting fired, I knew that it would a disastrous roll out and two, this man has no idea how to run a software development firm. Cant believe he made paypal. You simply cannot roll out features that fast without proper QA, beta testing, and in some cases focus testing. Anyone can code a feature in a day. The real time is spent on design, testing and iteration. lots of it.
I'm pretty sure Elon didn't even make paypal but he did get booted out by the board

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Some beauty lines.

Fuck, I'm doing it wrong. I've never worked at a place with free food. The best I did was working at one place that had subsidized lunches, which was still $5 per plate (drink extra) and that was 20 years ago.

People dont realize cafes run by third party places (like Sodexho) cost a lot. And if it's free, that's costing Twitter millions per year.

Returning to this point later in the article, the journalists repeated, "One engineering manager was approached by Mr. Musk’s advisers — or ‘goons,’ as Twitter employees called them — with a list of hundreds of people he had to let go. He vomited into a trash can near his feet."
Regarding potential layoffs, Conger, Isaac, Mac and Hsu noted that the tech executive refused to factor "diversity and inclusion" into his actions: "Twitter executives also suggested assessing the lists for diversity and inclusion issues so the cuts would not hit people of color disproportionately and to avoid legal trouble. Mr. Musk’s team brushed aside the suggestion, two people said."
The writers also explained that lunch at the company would no longer be free: "Mr. Musk plans to begin making employees pay for lunch — which had been free — at the company cafeteria, two people said."

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Some beauty lines.

Fuck, I'm doing it wrong. I've never worked at a place with free food. The best I did was working at one place that had subsidized lunches, which was still $5 per plate (drink extra) and that was 20 years ago.

People dont realize cafes run by third party places (like Sodexho) cost a lot. And if it's free, that's costing Twitter millions per year.

[/URL]
My company orders lunch 2x a week. It's pretty chill, but I gained some weight so I started cutting back.

And in any case, now I choose to work from home so I avoid the lunches that way.

akimbo009

Gold Member
I swear Twitter makes your brain rot. Folks say the stupidest shit there and even if they know they are making shit up they some how end up believing it. I singularly believe stupid troll wars in Twitter convinced Russia it could actually manage a victory in Ukraine - and convinced Musk he could spend $44B and make it "just work".

Sadly real life is hard, and not just solved 80 characters at a time.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I swear Twitter makes your brain rot. Folks say the stupidest shit there and even if they know they are making shit up they some how end up believing it. I singularly believe stupid troll wars in Twitter convinced Russia it could actually manage a victory in Ukraine - and convinced Musk he could spend $44B and make it "just work".

Sadly real life is hard, and not just solved 80 characters at a time.
Twitter is best used as entertainment. Too bad many of the tweeters dont realize this and treat the site as serious business as if their life existence depends on it. Amazing since it's a free tool, has a character limit, and any idiot can sign up for it (along with the millions of bots).

I barely even read tweets unless it's gaming related (from this board) or sports related (from reading an article). But already enough laughs from low lifes.

Watching canned TV shows with scripts is boring. I just watch real stuff the past 20 years like sports and news. I'd rather leave my TV on CP24 watching reruns of weather and nightly news bites than watch an hourly show on network TV. And to me, Twitter (whether it's people writing serious stuff about their home life crisis, people publicly complaining about their boss, or clever people doing parodies) I treat that as real life dumbassery which I find funnier than professional writers feeding actors pages to memorize.

Last edited:

Kacho

This thread is incredible. I had no clue things were this bad. 😂

I’m a casual user and I haven’t noticed any difference in my experience. If it dies it dies. 🤷

DanteFox

I'm assuming the people sending out these HR emails are people that were already at Twitter before Elon took over. I know it's funny, but how is it a strike against him? If anything it just proves that he's right to fire the majority of this staff and probably should fire more of them.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm assuming the people sending out these HR emails are people that were already at Twitter before Elon took over. I know it's funny, but how is it a strike against him? If anything it just proves that he's right to fire the majority of this staff and probably should fire more of them.
I have no proof of this, but I'm just going on gut feeling and what I see.

And that is tech companies are flush with money, this free for all party vibe, entitled employees, and super young employees with companies that probably started 10-20 years ago tops. Some much younger.

So what you got in my opinion is wild west corporate cultures, zero buttoned down processes, and hardly any older vets who've been around the block to put some structure in place. If tech people are too afraid of buttoned down banking company policies, that's fine. I dont expect sneaker and tshirt wearing techies wearing business casual clothes to the office. But every company needs some professionalism.

These companies all seem to ramp up hiring so fast going from 0 to 10,000 employees there is no way any company can sift through the heap of candidates without getting nailed with shitty employees due to needing to hire asap. In established companies where they might hire a couple hundred every year, some roles take forever to fill. They can afford to take a slow approach as they got enough people at the office already to fill in. And even then you still get shitheads hired doing a detailed long hiring process.

If that HR tweet you posted is true, what a laugh. I've seen mistakes at my companies from people not BCC:ing people but thats for non essential emails. I've never seen a mistaken HR email sent to the wrong people when it comes to important stuff like employment.

Then again, maybe the lame brained HR person at Twitter did that on purpose to fuck up the company more. You never know with tech workers since they seem so volatile.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom