• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump threatens to abandon Puerto Rico relief efforts

Apt101

At the root of this, even more than racism, is because the governor and mayor of San Juan didn't kiss that megalomaniac's ass.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is this problem with this?

If the "Electric and all infrastructure" was already messed up before then why would anyone expect the relief support to fix that as well? In the end it's up to Congress to decide how much will be spent to help with the support not Trump, isn't he just stating facts here?

I don't understand why people are upset over it as it seems a logical decision? I'm just going with the article though so I don't know about any other things that may be present.

Well, if a natural disaster ever happens in your city/town/whatever hopefully your country turns its back and doesn't help despite you being a tax paying citizen. Then you might learn what the problem is.

Literally one of the dumbest posts I've read in a politics thread here, which is saying a lot.

IbukiLordSA

Well, if a natural disaster ever happens in your city/town/whatever hopefully your country turns its back and doesn't help despite you being a tax paying citizen. Then you might learn what the problem is.

Literally one of the dumbest posts I've read in a politics thread here, which is saying a lot.

Yeah my government already don't do anything but line their own pockets but if you actually bothered to continue reading my replies once I found out these were US citizens I agreed that it's wrong. You guys need to check your emotions it's clouding your reading abilities.

platocplx

Yeah my government already don't do anything but line their own pockets but if you actually bothered to continue reading my replies once I found out these were US citizens I agreed that it's wrong. You guys need to check your emotions it's clouding your reading abilities.

You are telling people to check their emotions when you were being ignorant in the first place. Amazing.

TS-08

You're criticizing reading abilities despite apparently ignoring that the OP itself describes Puerto Rico as a U.S. territory.

NimbusD

Forgive my ignorance, but what is this problem with this?

If the "Electric and all infrastructure" was already messed up before then why would anyone expect the relief support to fix that as well? In the end it's up to Congress to decide how much will be spent to help with the support not Trump, isn't he just stating facts here?

I don't understand why people are upset over it as it seems a logical decision? I'm just going with the article though so I don't know about any other things that may be present.
Ask yourself if a red state with shitty infastructure was massively fucked up by a natural disasters, if there's be any hesitation to help them rebuild? And if rebuilding meant rebuilding to current infastructure standards?

No there would be zero hesitation because they're us citizens. Well the funny thing about Puerto Rico is that they're also fucking citizens even if they're according to trump 'just a territory'.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

The first sentence of the quote in the first post states the PR is a US territory.

God damn this piece of shit in a man-suit.

Its the #1 job of the POTUS to protect the US people. Not to tweet constant reminders of how much PR owes Wall Street. He's a sickening person and needs to get the boot.

Hell, just drop him off in the worst part of Puerto Rico and let him fend for himself with no phone and no power and nobody responding to his pleas.

Tovarisc

pp7aQRF.png

https://twitter.com/MicahGrimes/status/918535711833411585

MaulerX

You're talking about reading comprehension when the OP says it's a US territory and post #57 says they're US citizens. All before you made your initial post. So you're full of it, sorry.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
And John Kelly doubles down on #fakenews.

Bu-b-but the partisan generals that the wannabe authoritarian surrounded himself with are the only thing keeping us safe!

Metroxed

Puerto Rico should become an independent country. What's the point of being part of a larger country if they will abandon you when you need them?

How are the other members of our government just sitting by and doing nothing? Wont someone stand up for these people? Theres not even potable water in 60% of the territory and people are dying. Please someone else come to these people's aid.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
What help, really?

Dude should just give us the independence and be done with it.

He believes? Are you fucking kidding me? He believes that Puerto Ricans are Americans. It's not a fucking matter of faith here. THEY. ARE. AMERICANS.

To be fair (and also why Tweets aren't always good news sources), it was the reporter who used the phrase "does Trump believe?"

Kelly just replied with Yes.

Rival

Gold Member
I mean at this point would anyone have expected anything other than this kind of response? He is less compassionate than the actual hurricane that hit the island. And blows more wind.

Tovarisc

To be fair (and also why Tweets aren't always good news sources), it was the reporter who used the phrase "does Trump believe?"

Kelly just replied with Yes.

So Kelly was asked if Trump believes that Puerto Ricans are Americans and Kelly answered yes? How that makes tweet inaccurate?

So Kelly was asked if Trump believes that Puerto Ricans are Americans and Kelly answered yes? How that makes tweet inaccurate?

It doesn't at all.

But the context behind it does make a difference in how one may perceive it. Just pointing out that there's no reason to be further outraged based on that tweet alone.

Not saying that there's not a shit ton to be outraged about, of course.

TS-08

You're being disingenuous here. The poster took exception to the use of the word "believe" in that context, which as tweeted can make it appear to have come from Kelly, so another poster clarified where it came from.

manfestival

My passport is from the USA. Pretty sure I am an American. Well I've learned that it's actually offensive to only refer to those in the US as Americans. Learned that traveling South America. People always get annoyed when I call myself an American since we are all American

A European country like Spain or Portugal needs to annex PR. USA clearly doesn't care about the 3 million lives that live there but another country will

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Spiteful piece of shit.
Jesus Christ. What is wrong with this guy? :(
He’s a bitter, lazy narcissist who treats everything as a zero sum game. PR gets help, he feels he has lost something and will react like a spoiled child. Don’t underestimate the lows this guy is yet to reach.

When my dream of Trump being arrested and executed for treason is realized, I hope they bring back the Viking tradition of the Blood Eagle for the deed.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
When my dream of Trump being arrested and executed for treason is realized, I hope they bring back the Viking tradition of the Blood Eagle for the deed.
The best you can hope for is him dying on the shitter in a rabid tweet storm triggering a heart attack from too much KFC.

slit

I feel extremely bad for Puerto Rico since they are stuck. After the stunt this prick pulled I would not blame them if they wanted to become independant from the United States but at the same time I know that would make things worse and not better. On the other hand statehood isn't going to happen anytime soon. They are stuck in limbo with the orange shitstain in charge.

Whhhhhyyyyyyy??!!!!

Oh know why....

But whhhhyyyyyyyy???!!!

No joke this simply ain’t fair. That’s what Trump is. Un...fair.... A long 4 to 8 years of unfairness.

FStubbs

There's no reason whatsoever to make a statement like this, especially about his own citizens, unless he's pissed off by the very fact that he has to keep paying attention to a humanitarian crisis. He's victim blaming the entire island (of course he doesn't realize U.S. policies were the reason for Puerto Rico's poor economy) as if he actively wants everyone there to die.

At what point can international courts get involved to officially declare him a criminal against humanity?

Exchange that with "because".

Top Bottom