• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump aide's email draws new scrutiny in Russia inquiry. Proposed meeting with Putin

epmode

Is it just me or does this seem like it's not getting that much attention?
Honestly, I thought it was just a second article on an old story. I’m positive we just heard about a Trump aide that sent an email with something about a potential Putin meeting in the subject line.

Aselith

It really not something worth getting excited over at this point. I mean based on what information we got it, someone sent an email about arranging a meeting but no current evidence that the meeting happened, etc. It's certainly highly suspect given what else we know but on it's face, it's not a particularly damning bit of evidence. The campaign officials could just have easily deleted it and never thought about it again as they could have acted upon it.

Now if they investigate further and find that the meeting did happen or there was reciprocal contact...well...

Just need the big oppo that he knew about all this.

If it happened, the Russians will have communicated about it amongst themselves and with US conspirators... Stuff that's likely to be intercepted by US and allied signals intelligence operations (there are strong indications the Dutch, Germans and British tried to earn the Obama administration about Trump.)

Problem is, that might not get leaked to the press to protect sources/collection methods or it's legally ambiguous because it could be painted as deliberate Russian disinformation.

They really need some of the American conspirators to flip and testify presumptive candidate Trump was in on it, then use any intercepts to corroborate.

KingV

Honestly, I thought it was just a second article on an old story. I’m positive we just heard about a Trump aide that sent an email with something about a potential Putin meeting in the subject line.

We did.

I think it's actually an entirely different trump aide though. That guy had like a long Mediterranean sounding name, that started with a P that was notable for being very inexperience and under qualified. This is an entirely different dude.

Yep, that first one was a foreign policy nobody mysteriously elevated to campaign advisor talking vaguely about setting up meetings with the Russian government, which Manafort shot down. That guy had ties to Cyprus (Russian money laundering nexus) and the United Arab Emirates (brokered the Seychelles meeting between Erik Prince and Putin's confidant)

This thread is about a much more senior Trump aide trying to get Trump facetime with Putin, with some allusions to an unknown party speculated to be Jim Justice fresh off a windfall deal with a Russian company.

There is so much smoke, it's all blurring together.

KingV

Yep, that first one was a foreign policy nobody mysteriously elevated to campaign advisor talking vaguely about setting up meetings with the Russian government, which Manafort shot down. That guy had ties to Cyprus (Russian money laundering nexus) and the United Arab Emirates (brokered the Seychelles meeting between Erik Prince and Putin's confidant)

This thread is about a much more senior Trump aide trying to get Trump facetime with Putin.

There is so much smoke, it's all blurring together.

I believe manafort actually DID NOT shut it down.

That was basically lawyer spin that only made sense if you only read portions of the email out of context.

Rick Dearborn is the guy who introduced carter page into the trump team

He was sessions chief of staff and now has a cosy job in the Whitehouse working to make sure Kochs agenda is implemented - all the shadow spies trump planted in agencies to report what the liberal deep state staff may be doing to backslide, all report back to him.

I believe manafort actually DID NOT shut it down.

That was basically lawyer spin that only made sense if you only read portions of the email out of context.

Ahh, missed that part... Good to know and it makes sense they're trying to reduce the counts of actual collusion for their client.

You would think deputy chief of staff in White house trying to set up Russian meetings would be a big story, but Trump is successfully keeping Russia out of the headlines with other distractions.

Cake Boss

Banned
People just simply are waiting for the "ARRESTED" or "CHARGED" headlines. Basically all this evidence is just confirming what people already knew about this administration, and at the stage where they just waiting for the investigation to be over with and the next big headline will be it's results.

I think based on the evidence we have right now, there's ample support for an impeachment, and that we should impeach, with criminal charges pending a full investigation.

...That said this is kind of a nothingburger. Or at least nothing we didn't already know. An aide passed on an e-mail trying to get Trump and Putin in contact, but we have no idea what their response was.

It's not really important next to the fact that multiple high level Trump aides actually met with a Russian operative explicitly about blackmail material on Clinton.

Top Bottom