• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trepang2 comes to PS5 and Xbox Series X|S on October 2

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I swear to christ that every game I buy on steam seems to have the console version announced shortly after..

Every. Damn. Time!
True PC exclusives simply aren't that sustainable... as is most console exclusives.

I haven't played this game yet and I don't think I ever will. I haven't even gotten to the original FEAR so playing this I'd be out of my depth.

simpatico

True PC exclusives simply aren't that sustainable... as is most console exclusives.

I haven't played this game yet and I don't think I ever will. I haven't even gotten to the original FEAR so playing this I'd be out of my depth.
Anything is sustainable depending on budget, but given how consoles are basically x86 PCs now, it doesn't make sense not to considering the high return on investment proposition.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member

You should give the original Fear a go, it's utterly basic as shooters go but great for it, like Painkiller

As for Trepang I erm, installed on my Deck, so yeah.. it's there, being a game. Installed..

I'll get round to it :messenger_tears_of_joy:

simpatico

So this is good? I liked FEAR 2 and 3. Is this something I want on PS5 or would a Steam Deck be enough?
FEAR 2 and 3 are fine FPS games, but Trepang2 is much more like FEAR1 in aesthetics and gameplay. It's a hell of a time. They don't hide their inspiration, as they completely redid the classic elevator room without even blushing. It's glorious. The weapons are great. The starting pistol is 100% viable for the entire game because headshots do not fuck around. Can't recommend this one enough. Hopefully it jumpstarts the FEAR-like genre. Severed Steel is another underrated gem in the same genre.

undertaker-still-alive.gif

It just preloaded on my PS5

kiphalfton

FEAR 2 and 3 are fine FPS games, but Trepang2 is much more like FEAR1 in aesthetics and gameplay. It's a hell of a time. They don't hide their inspiration, as they completely redid the classic elevator room without even blushing. It's glorious. The weapons are great. The starting pistol is 100% viable for the entire game because headshots do not fuck around. Can't recommend this one enough. Hopefully it jumpstarts the FEAR-like genre. Severed Steel is another underrated gem in the same genre.

FEAR and Condemned. Dat's my jam baby.

This game seems like a must-have.
Can't wait to blow people to a misty cloud of blood with a shotgun while rocking Dualsense Edge.

How long is Trepang 2? If this game is as solid as it seems I think 30 euros isn't a bad price.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I am going to check it. Why people don't like F.E.A.R. 2?? I loved the first and project origin.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
I played it for a bit recently and wasn't really that impressed. It's like playing F.E.A.R. with its own equivalent of Brutal Doom mod installed, except it has zero pacing, no interesting characters or story, and it's just a non-stop orgy of violence, particle effects, and shaky cams. And the "supernatural" element is far more lame and not scary at all.

It's fine if you enjoy it for sheer spectacle but I don't get why is everyone gushing about this game so much. The only thing it did for me was to give me a headache.

Last edited:
It unlocked about an hour ago on PS5.

It’s exactly what I’d hoped it would be. The performance is good, controls are good, an updated FEAR.

Definitely worth $30.

Blowing away dudes hasn’t been this satisfying since maybe Max Payne 3. The sound effects are awesome, crank the volume.

The puff of blood that shoots out as you land a headshot is as pleasurable in this, as it was in FEAR.

But imagine recommending this game to someone in real life.

“Yeah, it’s a really good shooter.”

“What’d you say it’s called again?”

“Trepang2”

Hbb6mLg.jpg

Last edited:

Bodom78

Will pick it up when on sale, got enough to play now. Looking forward to checking it out in the future, love the gore in the trailer.

xrnzaaas

I've played the PS5 version yesterday. It's smooth 60fps and the destruction and slomo fights are incredibly satisfying. It gets hard quickly though, I picked hard difficulty (with 3 harder ones still available) and I struggled to win one of the miniboss encounters from level 2. It doesn't help that you get armored enemies very early in the game and you usually have to use a lot of ammo to eliminate them (unless they have easy weak spots).
I also feel like the aim assist is too aggressive, would be nice to have a slider to set how helpful should it be. Worst case I'll just lower the difficulty to normal and keep playing.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Great old school shooter. I like It so far.

Strange that there's no aiming down sights.
What's worse is that on the controller L2 is used to throw grenades. I stopped counting how many times I've made that mistake. I also don't like how using the scope is activated using the dpad.

I do LIKE dual wielding though after you unlock it. :)

Last edited:

JusticeForAll

Gold Member
Never heard of this, but it looks awesome. I'm abroad for work now, but I ordered it on ps5 for when I get home. We have to support these kind of dunne l single player games if we want more of them.

It somehow reminds me more of Black than FEAR. Didn't like the stupid monster parts. I also find it hard to see enemies sometimes but it's a blast overall. Worth the price.
Did you play it on the Series X or PS5? If so did you encounter any slowdowns? Been meaning to pick this one up perhaps sometime next month so I'd like to know if the experience is solid.

Top Bottom