• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transgender man not told by his doctor that he has breast cancer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaborn

25881-10150176159140587-3203213-n-web.jpg

A transgender man is speaking out against alleged discrimination towards the transgendered community by the medical community – while describing his own ordeal, in which he says a physician never told him about his breast cancer diagnosis because he was bewildered by the man's transgender status.

Jay (formerly Joy) Kallio of New York says he learned that he had cancer later on "accidentally," when he received a call from a radiologist asking how he was dealing with the condition - a condition he didn't know he had at the time. Afterward, he says he faced a long line of rejections when seeking medical treatment.

"I kept hitting this stone wall of non-acceptance," Kallio told the Daily News. "It's a systemic problem. It was at all levels of providers, from doctors to housekeeping to the nursing staff. People need to be aware that this discrimination will not be tolerated."

The government also says this kind of discrimination is now illegal, as part of the new health care law. According to the Department of Health and Human Services, the Affordable Care Act - so-called Obamacare - signed into law by the President in March 2010 - prohibits physicians from discriminating against LGBT patients.

Kallio was thrilled to hear about the ACA. "It's incredibly important to me that this not happen to other transgender people," he said. "To have all this added stress and rejection and to be denied care from providers was daunting - it was awful."

Kallio, now 56, transitioned from female to male at age 50. He only took hormone treatment and never underwent anatomical surgery, so when the head of surgery at a major New York hospital saw that Kallio's body didn't correspond with his gender identification, he was bewildered. The surgeon told Kallio to get a mammogram. After the exam determined that a lump in Kallio's breast was cancerous, the surgeon reportedly never informed Kallio.

Aside from the humiliation, Kallio's health suffered because he needed to search for new doctors for chemotherapy. This search too was hindered when he confronted hostility from an oncologist who refused to advise him, reports ABC News.

"It delayed my care past the therapeutic window for chemotherapy," Kallio said. "You should have chemotherapy within three months of cancer therapy. Because I had to change providers and kept encountering discrimination, it delayed the care. So much of cancer care has to do with early treatment."

Kallio became an LBGT activist after being fired for being a lesbian in 1972, according to Service and Advocacy for Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual & Transgender Elders. He claims that he was distressed by the absence of legal protection from discrimination of LGBT people. Kallio hopes the ACA puts an end to such discrimination.

When gay activists asked for clarification concerning the act's effect on the LGBT community, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Director Leon Rodriguez responded. "Section 1557's sex discrimination prohibition," Rodriguez wrote," extends to claims of discrimination based on gender identity or failure to conform to stereotypical notions of masculinity or femininity and will accept such complaints for investigation."

On March 26, HHS published a press release reaffirming their commitment to the health of all Americans. "Our Department is committed to improving the health of all Americans, including LGBT Americans, and we look forward to continuing this work during LGBT Health Awareness Week and beyond."

Kallio told ABC News he has since been forced into an HMO that doesn’t accept his current oncologist, so he will need to find another provider who will treat a transgender person.

“I’m now 2 years post-treatment, so I’ve entered a peak recurrence time,” Kallio told the Daily News, emphasizing the importance of continued medical attention.

Story Here

I've got to say I find this story confusing because I'm PRETTY sure regardless of the ACA it's at LEAST malpractice (And probably a case could be made for reckless endangerment) for a doctor to not tell a patient they have cancer. I think this comes across as a bit more of an advertisement for the ACA in that sense, but the underlying story is itself interesting. It's disgraceful the amount of discrimination transgender people face.

Cat Party

I can't imagine that the head of surgery at a major New York hospital would be "bewildered" by a transgender person.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Afterward, he says he faced a long line of rejections when seeking medical treatment.

WTF. That was one of the more galling parts of the whole thing to me. The article notes this is illegal, so I'm kind of surprised there would be a 'long line' of doctors doing this?

Hoo-doo

Banned
I'm not saying I don't believe him, but it's a pretty extraordinary claim and I'd need some pretty extraordinary evidence.

Agreed. Administrative fuckup or complete negligence by the doctor in question, sure. But i can't really comprehend medical staff to not inform people of their diagnosis out of sheer malicious intent.

Drazgul

Guess the doctor forgot his oath:

I will prevent disease whenever I can, for prevention is preferable to cure.

I will remember that I remain a member of society with special obligations to all my fellow human beings, those sound of mind and body as well as the infirm.

Mudkips

Banned
It sounds to me like people just fucked up.

He was told to get a mammogram and whoever performed it never informed him of the results. They likely only informed the surgeon, and the surgeon assumed that the patient got the results too.

According to the article, the guy doesn't claim that he was told his mammogram showed no cancer. He's claiming he was never informed of the results. What did the guy do after getting the mammogram? Did he not call every few days asking about the results of the mammogram?

Sounds to me like he got a mammogram and was simply never informed of the results because each doctor assumed the other doctor would inform. This is shitty and probably actionable, but I've had this shit happen to me several times (thankfully not for cancer).

As a patient when you get any sort of exam done that involves lab work you should follow up to get the results, especially if it's an offsite lab and the doctor who ordered the test isn't the same doctor (or at the same location) who performed the test / took the samples. With zero details about his claims of rejection when seeking treatment, this sounds like a regular fuck up and not some concerted effort against him because he's transgendered.

gwarm01

It must be a weird situation to expect a male but to find someone who is still anatomically female. Maybe information sheets should have more than two check boxes just to provide more complete medical information.

Guevara

It sounds to me like people just fucked up.

He was told to get a mammogram and whoever performed it never informed him of the results. They likely only informed the surgeon, and the surgeon assumed that the patient got the results too.

According to the article, the guy doesn't claim that he was told his mammogram showed no cancer. He's claiming he was never informed of the results. What did the guy do after getting the mammogram? Did he not call every few days asking about the results of the mammogram?

Sounds to me like he got a mammogram and was simply never informed of the results because each doctor assumed the other doctor would inform. This is shitty and probably actionable, but I've had this shit happen to me several times (thankfully not for cancer).

As a patient when you get any sort of exam done that involves lab work you should follow up to get the results, especially if it's an offsite lab and the doctor who ordered the test isn't the same doctor (or at the same location) who performed the test / took the samples. With zero details about his claims of rejection when seeking treatment, this sounds like a regular fuck up and not some concerted effort against him because he's transgendered.
I agree. Also no one will every care as much about your health as you do, which is why it's ultimately on you to follow up.

Skeyser

I find it really hard to believe that doctors would risk their careers just because they don't like transgenic people.

I have an extremely hard time believing that the doctor knew about and intentionally chose to not inform her about the breast cancer that had developed.

Something sounds off, maybe it was miscommunication or a complete misunderstanding.

I'm not completely buying that Transgender discrimination is the main reason for this happening. This seems more like a hospital goof up.

never told him about his breast cancer diagnosis because he was bewildered by the man's transgender status.

For one thing, breast cancer isn't gender specific. Two, even if a doctor had some sort of prejudice against Trans people it's hard to believe that he would purposefully hide the cancer knowing full well that the patient would eventually find out anyway.

Gaborn

I have an extremely hard time believing that the doctor knew about and intentionally chose to not inform her about the breast cancer that had developed.

Something sounds off, maybe it was miscommunication or a complete misunderstanding.

Him.

But I don't disagree with the rest of your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom