• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Too Human to ditch UE3?

Ark-AMN

Banned
Rogosh said:
Yeah, many GAF members enjoy picking people apart. Oddly enough, i believe Denis is online right now.

Heh, he really is:
Currently Active Users: 1326 (583 members and 743 guests)
Most users ever online was 3,618, 05-09-2006 at 10:57 AM.
Ark-AMN, Zierath...........Swat, Riddler, Denis Dyack, darscot, yggdrasil

Come on out Denis, you can't hide anymore! :D

Geoff9920

m0dus said:
This just in: The sky is blue, water is wet, the world still turns, and idiot fanboys go on a tear for 7+ pages based on a rumor about a developer they don't like. :lol
Next time I'll get a big Neon sign that says, "SARCASM ALERT!"

Ark-AMN

Banned
Odysseus said:
Not ditching UE3? Too late! I've already turned in my badge!
Mine's merely missplaced, just in the off hand that I should have to go digging around for it should the game still turn out ok. :D

Ark-AMN said:
Hmm, that is interesting, too bad Denis will never come in here and comment himself, cause all you bastards chased him away! :D

Though I guess I can see the wording being key here, though Dyack told me at E3 that UE3 was already heavily modded. I think a part of the rumor hinged around X06. Anyone know when that is going to take place?

you should be scolded for this rumor!! :)

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Ark-AMN said:
Mine's merely missplaced, just in the off hand that I should have to go digging around for it should the game still turn out ok. :D

You might need some of this if you should decide to go "digging around" for it

a61kh0.jpg

NG_Kris

Hey guys,

I see a lot of people commenting on how UE3 might be "heavily modified" for Too Human.

I'm not too sure how common this practice is, but Midway, which is using UE3 for all of its next-gen development, is another example of a company that uses the engine in significantly modified form. In fact, they call their version of UE3 "Midway Core." I'm not sure whether or not this means that the engine is inadequate in its initial state, or if it's just a matter of tailoring it to meet developer needs.

Also, not sure if this is a revelation to anyone or not, but there are apparently a lot of devs out there (who would rather go unnamed) that think UE3 really is a bitch to work with. Even Midway said that there was a "cultural hurdle" to overcome with its tech guys in the studios when the execs decided to go UE3 across the whole company.

Still, as a gamer, what can I say... the good UE3 games look damn kick-ass.

You guys might want to read this on Next-Gen
http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3636&Itemid=2
Microsoft: Silicon Knights Still Using UE3

After a flurry of rumors circulating the Internet over the past few days, Microsoft tells Next-Gen that Too Human developer Silicon Knights is still using Epic's Unreal Engine 3 for the game's development.

A Microsoft spokesperson stated, "Silicon Knights continues to build Too Human using the Unreal Engine 3, tailoring it to fit the needs of the game and ensure the most efficient use of the technology. Rumors of Too Human experiencing production challenges that will cause massive delays are false. Too Human is progressing very well and we expect that gamers will be extremely excited with Too Human when we next show it."

The rumor began with an August 11 article on Advanced Media Network, which cited unnamed sources who said that Silicon Knights would be foregoing the use of UE3 because of reportedly insurmountable development difficulties. The report also said that Silicon Knights would be developing its own engine for the game.

The confirmation from Microsoft, which is publishing Too Human, is a stark contrast from just yesterday, when the company told Next-Gen that it "does not comment on rumors and speculation" regarding the reported ditching of the engine.

An engine change would have been detrimental to the game's development schedule. Too Human has been in development in some shape or form for about a decade, as it was first conceived as a PlayStation 1 title. The Xbox 360 title is meant to be the first part of a trilogy, and is expected to launch in Q2 2007.

It's not clear what, if anything, transpired between yesterday and today to bring Microsoft from a "no comment" to a definite confirmation of Silicon Knight's use of UE3.

Silicon Knights said in May 2005 that it would use UE3 across

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
People actually thought Microsoft would allow this game to be delayed for at least another year? Hah

EDIT: They are most likely modifying the hell out of some portions of the engine as some have already stipulated hence why the unfounded claims of them switching engines.

ezekial45

Banned
JB1981 said:
Anyone else think this is an awfully long thread for a game that everyone thinks sucks, or is going to suck?

I'm trying to give them a chance. They did make ED, so i want to give them a chance. Even if they brought a rushed demo to E3, i think they still deserve one.

Ark-AMN

Banned
You have to admit, there must be something going on here, because isn't it usually company policy for these guys to "not comment on any rumors"?

Ark-AMN said:
You have to admit, there must be something going on here, because isn't it usually company policy for these guys to "not comment on any rumors"?
I think they're doing a favor to Epic. With that rumor, people started thinking that UE3 isn't suited for 360, and this could somewhat damage the company's name/image. So, I think MS clarifying this is much more in aid of Epic than SK ;)

Ark-AMN

Banned
Spider_Jerusalem said:
I think they're doing a favor to Epic. With that rumor, people started thinking that UE3 isn't suited for 360, and this could somewhat damage the company's name/image. So, I think MS clarifying this is much more in aid of Epic than SK ;)
Well, I suppose that could be it, though Epic and MS don't really have that big of a relationship (one's not owned by the other, etc.).

More I think about it, more it sounds like SK is modifying the engine so much that it no longer resembles the normal UE3 system. Though I've heard more people confirm our original story as being accurate.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I will buy this game day one. It looks and sounds like a great game and I go back to the Too Human article in EGM and the comments made by those who have seen it in action.

Mmmkay

element said:
i heard from a couple people today that they are ditching it. I am pretty shocked.
So, it was just a bit of plausible deniability from Microsoft to try and take the heat off SK for a while?

Ark-AMN

Banned
beelzebozo said:
wait, sarcasm?
or does element know too much!?
heh, maybe a little of both?

I sure won't quote him in an article if that's what your asking. Don't think he'd appreciate it anyway. :)

Mmmkay

Mrbob said:
How reliable is joystiq?
They're just recycling the Next-Gen article, a link is at the bottom. Also, I'd answer by saying "not very reliable", considering the quote came from a Microsoft spokesperson but Joystiq accredited it to Denis himself!

Tellaerin

Spider_Jerusalem said:

More likely that a developer liaison at MS got wind of this, got on the phone with Dyack, and told him, 'Stop pretending to be George Broussard. We want these games to ship before the end of the century, so you're going to tell the media you're sticking with UE3, then get your ass back to work. We've let much bigger names in the industry go, so don't think we'll hesitate to cut you, Denis. You're not playing for Nintendo anymore.'

(In other words, I think it's the other way around. Epic already has a great reputation when it comes to the Unreal engine. SK's track record as a developer... not so much. 'Our demo was running much better before we upgraded to the latest revision of UE3, but all the archived copies of our earlier demo code mysteriously disappeared so we had to go to E3 with a lousy demo oh God it's all their fault I hate you Epic' didn't help matters any either.)

Of course, all this assumes that they really aren't ditching UE3, which after looking at some of the later posts, still seems to be in doubt. In that case, the above is what a dev liaison should do ASAP if they want to see these games ship before the end of the century. ;)

Ark-AMN

Banned
It's too bad that Epic is going to remain silent on all this. While of course that's the right thing to do for them, I'd love to hear what they have to say on this matter.

Oh well, hopefully it'll all get sorted out in time.

Pimpwerx

This game could be called Daikatana2. Anyway, I think people should chill on the Dyack hate. The guy may not be your favorite, but he's just an honest guy trying to make a game. I thought it was cool that a dev reads this forum and is willing to post here, but not he's not likely to stick around if he just gets shit all the time. The Dyack hate is creeping up there with the Vic Ireland hate. PEACE.

Ark-AMN

Banned
sugarhigh4242 said:
its confirmed "around 30fps" via the last 1up Yours.

that was a very entertaining podcast btw.

I'm also curious to see what kind of framerate Mass Effect (the other UE3 game that's getting visual praise) will have. Although they (BioWare) may not need to take it all the way up to 60fps because it is an RPG. Though I think if the can't get a steady 30, then there's something wrong.

element

im going by word of mouth from what i heard today. I wouldn't call it 100% confirmation, but considering the source/location of the comment, I am having a hard time thinking it is false.

Kittonwy

Banned
element said:
im going by word of mouth from what i heard today. I wouldn't call it 100% confirmation, but considering the source/location of the comment, I am having a hard time thinking it is false.

So if they ARE ditching UE3, I wonder how MS is dealing with this (aside from the PR denial). Are Dyack and MS stuck with each other or can MS actually ditch them?

Mmmkay

element said:
element versus che. It's so... mythical!

element

Are Dyack and MS stuck with each other or can MS actually ditch them?
MS could drop then at any point.

And like I said, I'm going off what I was hearing, by no means is it 100%.

MS said no to Kungfu Stories, the sequel to Kungfu Chaos, which left them in a bind to make an original IP, not sure if NT was even deciding between Sony and MS, but obviously most of the founders were from SCEE Cambridge so it should have been an easy choice anyway.
HT was pitched to MS, and they passed. Of course this was when Argonaut (JAM was owned by Argonaut) was going through some rough times, so from MS perspective it probably wasn't a good business move to partner with someone who might not be in business much longer.

Top Bottom