• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Today I begin my re-read of Y: The Last Man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

Y_The_Last_Man_Book_One_The_Deluxe_Edition_Brian_K_Vaughan_Book.jpg

Y: The Last Man is my favorite comic series of all time. If you aren't familiar with it-the premise is as follows: One day, simultaneously every male animal on earth drops dead. Except-our title hero, Yorick Brown and his pet capuchin monkey. Yorick happens to be on the phone with his girlfriend Beth (who is overseas) at the time of the event-and he just proposed over the phone. All phone lines go down-all communication is practically out. So Yorick sets out to find his mother, a US Congresswomen and his girlfriend Beth.

ytlm-yorrick.jpg

Meanwhile as you can imagine the rest of the world is in chaos. Everything from food supplies (with all male animals dying, extinction is imminent) to government (most elected officials are male-so should their widows take over their roles?) to military. Of course the secret news that there is one man alive is highly valuable information so there are naturally people chasing after Yorick for their own variety of reasons.

Two main characters also join Yorick in his journeys: Agent 355, who is a mysterious bodyguard protecting Yorick and who belongs to a secret organization.

agent-355_400.jpg

Dr. Mann (heh) a geneticist researching the plague and who might have some secrets regarding it's origin.

fsUUpP2d77lpjuguPVl9vDOe6wG_t6lSO3iQDvwWj5fK5Suwi3fAkPq4EAAkzpGNdzop2Do7373hHlpTvKU-SPvAn02HK39dSIWhiZRUZwss8bjKtrT_jfV5wtd_fu6rig

To say anymore of the series would reveal too much, because it is a masterpiece to read-literally every issue ends in an amazing cliffhanger-reading this month to month was torture. The writer of the series, Brian K. Vaughn went on to work on the TV series lost and is now writing the very populate Saga for Image comics.

The series premiered in 2002 and The final issue was released in March 2008. I haven't read anything of it since-the final issue of this series completely wrecked me emotionally-It's brutal. Not brutal as in violent, but just heartbreaking-these are characters you'll come to love-and the final issue is very satisfying narratively but also emotionally wrenching. If you've never read it - believe me that you should seek it out now and read along. You won't regret it.

Y-The-Last-Man-Yorick-Brown-Ampersand-y-the-last-man-10989946-306-488.jpg

And if you have read it before, let's share our memories of this phenomenal series.

Oh-and we can discuss the development hell that this is in in as far as a Hollywood adaptation.

Also-try to find the hidden "Y"s in the covers.

One of the greats.

Dan Trachtenberg was supposed to direct a movie but that fell apart after a couple of years.

Yeah it makes sense that wanting to make a movie is what stopped it from becoming a tv show. It isn't that adaptable for movie format, but i guess they just kept at it while it would have been easier to make it a series.

Messi

Everything about the ending hurts.

Ampersand

I agree. But when 355 happened I was like no no no no no no you can't do this. It didn't hit her :(

I never even considered he would actually do it. Now I fear for everyone in Saga

The book is so set up for seasons in a TV show. It wouldn't work as a movie.

Ending spoilers.

I've read Y twices now and I've cried like a baby when Ampersand and Agents 355 dies.

Shit is rough. The whole book is pretty rough.

But not so rough that it's difficult or unpleasant to read, which is part of BKV's brilliance. He knows just how far to stick the knife in, and when.

caliph95

I agree. But when 355 happened I was like no no no no no no you can't do this. It didn't hit her :(

I never even considered he would actually do it. Now I fear for everyone in Saga

The book is so set up for seasons in a TV show. It wouldn't work as a movie.
Hey don't be sad
Natalya finally learned perfect English so it wasn't all bad

ZeroX03

Banned
Hell of a ride, ended up finishing it in three nights on my first read because I was so enthralled.

Perfect for a TV show. No idea why they kept pushing for a movie instead.

caliph95

Hell of a ride, ended up finishing it in three nights on my first read because I was so enthralled.

Perfect for a TV show. No idea why they kept pushing for a movie instead.
I had free time for a day in a hotel and finished the whole thing in a day. Loved every single moment

vio

Perfect for a TV show.
No idea why they kept pushing for a movie instead.

Because each issue is like one tv episode, cliffhanger endings and all. It looks like kinda like a storyboard for a movie or tv show.

B33

Banned
I re-read the series last year and loved it. The older I get, the more I catch.

Perfect ending. It's heart-breaking and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I hope the FX series happens.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Pretty much read the entire book cover to cover in 2 sittings my first time. Should really revisit it myself.

How has Saga turned out BTW? Started reading it a couple years ago but didn't keep up very far in.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Pretty much read the entire book cover to cover in 2 sittings my first time. Should really revisit it myself.

How has Saga turned out BTW? Started reading it a couple years ago but didn't keep up very far in.

Saga is a great read, too.

Haven't read the last 5 or so chapters, so I gotta do that soon-ish, but it's not something you wanna miss.

Paper Girls is a lot of fun as well.

caliph95

Didn't they already announced a show runner. Honestly as long as they don't go the walking dead route with a few exceptions due to budget the comic is the perfect script.

ZeroX03

Banned
Because each issue is like one tv episode, cliffhanger endings and all. It looks like kinda like a storyboard for a movie or tv show.

Yeah, it's literally like a five or six season TV show. Can you imagine viewers getting hit with that ending after investing so many years? Millions of people bawling their eyes out!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Saga is a great read, too.

Haven't read the last 5 or so chapters, so I gotta do that soon-ish, but it's not something you wanna miss.

Yea, it was just getting going when I first started reading, like only 20 issues available. Will definitely give it another look now that it has a few years of progress.

ZeroX03

Banned
Didn't they already announced a show runner. Honestly as long as they don't go the walking dead route with a few exceptions due to budget the comic is the perfect script.

Yeah for FX and it's Michael Green showrunning. He's just coming off a bunch of movies and doing American Gods so we'll see when/if it happens.

caliph95

You can also try comics also by Brian K vaughn, Runaways, Ex Machina and Pride of Baghdad is my favourite lion story along with Lion king. There are all great

We were probably a whole lot more skeptical of TV back then as a platform for these kinds of adaptations. Of course nowadays on a post GoT, TWD, and Daredevil world it is a no brainer, we are even getting American Gods this year.

caliph95

Yeah for FX and it's Michael Green showrunning. He's just coming off a bunch of movies and doing American Gods so we'll see when/if it happens.
I trust FX to deliver they have the best TV
We were probably a whole lot more skeptical of TV back then as a platform for these kinds of adaptations. Of course nowadays on a post GoT, TWD, and Daredevil world it is a no brainer, we are even getting American Gods this year.
Which reminds me what happened to Preacher

kirblar

I think the series falls apart after Safeword, unfortunately. It got really, really monotonous to me (which is a problem a lot of "post-apocalyptic road trip" stories seem to have) and only really picked up again for me at the end.

Messi

Yeah and only 6-9 issues per year

I doubt we're even halfway there

It's pretty much been 9-10 per year. The breaks have been consistent.

He says he has story as long as people are buying and it's a fairly huge seller. Especially in trade. He also said sales are bigger on Comixology than physical which is nuts.

ZeroX03

Banned
I trust FX to deliver they have the best TV

Which reminds me what happened to Preacher

FX seem to be big on giving a little less money but a lot more creative freedom and it really pays off.

Preacher has a second season coming on AMC, it's doing well.

B33

Banned
That's great.

Vaughan is a producer on it, so it's good to know they'll be using his creative input on the show.

HotHamBoy

I read the entire first volume and it did nothing to inspire me to read the next.

Saga is amazing, though. One of the best books running.

B33

Banned
First season was hot garbage. But they uh,
kind of undid the entire plot of S1 in the finale
so maybe S2 will start afresh and won't suck... maybe?
The budget for the first season was too low and entire thing got stretched out for too long. Hopefully the second season makes up for it.

I think I got about 40 issues in or so at the time it was being published and loved it more than anything I had ever read before but for some reason dropped it (life happened) and never picked it back up. I actually got the combined volumes now that it's finished but I still haven't read it. Clearly I need to remedy that

On a side not I remember at the time it was first being published thinking how amazing it would be as a tv show. Hopefully that still happens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom