• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

To OLED, or not to OLED

What type of TV is your main TV?

• OLED

Votes: 427 71.2%
  • LCD

Votes: 111 18.5%
  • Something else

Votes: 40 6.7%
  • I don't own a TV, just a computer monitor

Votes: 22 3.7%

• Total voters

dotnotbot

Some oleds can be brighter than led tech.

Potinless comparison since it's always camera adjusted to brightest TV. So in order to show brightest TV without blowing out the picture dimmer ones look way too dim, much worse than they look like IRL. Camera has limited dynamic range compared to human eyes.

If the video was in HDR at least, but in SDR it's absurd to be comparing things like brightness between TVs (or color in HDR or many other things).

Last edited:

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Potinless comparison since it's always camera adjusted to brightest TV. So in order to show brightest TV without blowing out the picture dimmer ones look way too dim, much worse than they look like IRL. Camera has limited dynamic range compared to human eyes.

If the video was in HDR at least, but in SDR it's absurd to be comparing things like brightness between TVs (or color in HDR or many other things).
Educate yourself before spitting venom.

It is a fact our C3 is a dimmer tv, especially in game mode.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

This is SDR game, what brightness do you need for that? SDR is meant for 100 nit brightness.
Whatever brightness you feel to make the picture not look dim.

Regular Blu-rays are SDR too and surely you ain't saying those should be watched at 100 nits too, right?

dotnotbot

Educate yourself before spitting venom.

It is a fact our C3 is a dimmer tv, especially in game mode.

6427768705f97b6b4bfc9dd0dae4f7e7.jpg

Bojji

Whatever brightness you feel to make the picture not look dim.

Regular Blu-rays are SDR too and surely you ain't saying those should be watched at 100 nits too, right?

Obviously this "100" nits is meant for a dark room, it has to be higher during the day. But making SDR output in super high brightness is quite stupid, picture accuracy will be fucked up, things that meant to be 5 nits are now 50 nits, etc. All colors are wrong.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Was at a Best Buy doing some work for them and saw the Hisense 75" U8N was on sale for $1499 which I think is a killer price for that TV

Ulysses 31

Stop the FOMO did an 7+ hour stream with the G4, S95D and QN900D and the G4 is the overall winner making it very temping with its 5 year burn in warranty. However the 8K QN900D(Mini LED) held on vs the 2 best OLEDs and its 240Hz screen might make it the deciding factor for me.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member

John and Oliver from Digital Foundry talk about their new TVs and the differences. John went with OLED and Oliver with LCD (I think mini led).

Bojji

John and Oliver from Digital Foundry talk about their new TVs and the differences. John went with OLED and Oliver with LCD (I think mini led).

Just like people here, some of us want the best contrast, black level and zero blooming (OLED) and some of us want the best brightness and can accept minuses of VA/IPS technology.

Bojji

Mini LED is really catching up in those areas and OLED is trying to catch up in brightness.

All depends on the viewing space which tech is superior

Pretty much. For my usage OLED brightness is enough but I can get that for some people it might not be suitable (room conditions).

I hate blooming so much that probably only some high end (that means very expensive) mini LEDs would be ok for me.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I've had an LG C7 65" for the last 6 years and it was great for the first 5. In the last year it's started to get burn in pretty easily and the more vibrant colors are looking distorted, especially when they are present in big flat shapes.

It still performs well over all and I don't have any regrets but all the native apps are starting to slow down and with the visual quality issues I'm a little disappointed. I was hoping this set would last twice as long before these issues crop up.

FWIW, the burn in all seems to have come from my launch model Switch oddly enough even though I have put serious gaming hours on the TV with PS4/Pro/5, my Xbox Series S, and various retro/mini consoles, etc.

Top Bottom