• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TMZ: Rapper Mac Miller dead at 26 of apparent overdose

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Mac Miller died Friday of an apparent overdose ... TMZ has learned.

Law enforcement sources tell TMZ ... Mac was found Friday at around noon at his San Fernando Valley home and was pronounced dead at the scene.

Miller has had trouble recently with substance abuse ... in the wake of his breakup with Ariana Grande. The rapper wrecked his G-Wagon by wrapping it around a utility pole back in May and was arrested for DUI and hit and run. He fled the scene but cops say he later confessed at his home. He blew 2 times the legal limit.

After his arrest Ariana tweeted, "Pls take care of yourself" and was clearly concerned about substance abuse.

After their breakup, Ariana made it clear ... his substance abuse had be a deal breaker in their 2-year relationship.
http://www.tmz.com/2018/09/07/mac-miller-dead-dies/

Was Ariana Grande's boyfriend. Other sites reporting in now aswell.

Gander

Banned
It's hard to have sympathy everybody knows what's up. Didn't Demi Lovato and Lamar Odom teach enough lessons about drug overdose.

Never heard of him. But sad. Young. His poor family. RIP.

Shame he couldn’t defeat whatever demons he struggled with.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Damn...I still bump “Donald Trump” in my playlists. Haven’t really liked anything else he’s done lately.

Guess he burned those candle wicks from both ends with blow torches.

Redneckerz

Gonna be honest I had not really heard of him till today. Condolences to his family and friends, RIP
A little bit more known than XXXTenacion. Not that this is saying much.

Was twice on Rob Dyrdek's Ridiculousness however, and he was funny AF. The kind of brag kid with epic banter.

Seems his bragging threw him out of the door. Sad to see and hear. All because of an overdose. Dude was addicted to Purple prior.

Once again a win for drug abuse.

Blam

“To everyone that sell me drugs, dont mix it with that bullshit, im hoping not to join the 27 club.” - Mac Miller

Honestly this shit has me fucked up his entire Swimming album was a cry for help, and nobody went out to help

Watching Movies With the Sound Off is an absolutely genius title for an album even if I dislike the music (not a huge fan of hip hop so what do I know). RIP.

CatCouch

Not going to lie, this is rough.

I really liked him. I spent a lot of time listening to him while working, particularly the Divine Feminine. I have a family member with addiction issues, too. It's not something to take lightly.

as with every celebrity death comes the flood of insincere like condolences or whatever and its usually starts with "i dont know much about..." "i never really listened to his music but..."

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
When you so stable in life all you do is drugs you die 20 years to early. RIP and all but I ain't sorry its all on him.

highrider

Banned
I never really related to him, but I respected dude. He did his own thing, he also put on a lot of dudes, he took Chance on his tour back when nobody knew him. I’m older, more boom bap, but he was one of the better of the young crop.

As far as the drugs, fuck people get caught up and nobody is above making a dumb life decision. It doesn’t change what they achieve in their life.

Last edited:

camelCase

as with every celebrity death comes the flood of insincere like condolences or whatever and its usually starts with "i dont know much about..." "i never really listened to his music but..."

How insensitive.

It's hard to have sympathy everybody knows what's up. Didn't Demi Lovato and Lamar Odom teach enough lessons about drug overdose.

Hard to have sympathy for the dead?

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
Honestly this shit has me fucked up his entire Swimming album was a cry for help, and nobody went out to help

I really don't mean to shit on someone that just died, but, I don't understand the perspective here. I don't know this guy or what he did, but I don't understand why it's other people's responsibility to "come save them". I understand the emotional aspect very well, but honestly, instead of writing a song, how about going to rehab? Of course, it's a shame a young guy died too early due to his decisions, but, well, this happening it's not a surprise if a person doesn't take care of themselves.

Super Mario

Banned
Why do we mourn celebrities who choose to play with fire more than anyone else? Is it sad? Sure. Why isn't this level of sadness shared for those who have actually done good, and didn't make bad decisions? What a culture we have created.

Fbh

RIP

Why do we mourn celebrities who choose to play with fire more than anyone else? Is it sad? Sure. Why isn't this level of sadness shared for those who have actually done good, and didn't make bad decisions? What a culture we have created.

If every decent person that died because of any reason (drugs/accident/illness/etc) made it to the news we'd need a site dedicated to nothing but that.
It's also easier to relate to a celebrity whose music (or movies, or writing, etc) you might have heard or that you've seen in an interview than just a random stranger you've never seen or heard about before.

highrider

Banned

Who doesn’t make bad decisions? With celebrity and money comes a greater level of temptation and access. You and I are inherently unable to perceive that. We mourn them because they created art that resonated with large numbers of people, again, something you and I can’t understand unless you’re a famous artist yourself. Humans generally relate to flawed people, because we are all deeply flawed, whether we are aware of it or not.

Spheyr

Banned
I'd never heard of him before he died but there is much wailing and gnashing of teeth going on amongst the 20 somethings of Pittsburgh

oagboghi2

The entire point of celebrity is that they don't feel like "any other stanger." We feel close to them. Obviously people will read differently to a celebirty they know, maybe even admire, more than a random name in the newspaper obituary section.

Redneckerz

Making the general assumption here that a lot of these folks turn to drug abuse to numb the pain of fame, i want to bump this thread to link to this thread i just made about Suicide Prevention. Consider bookmarking it.

Miller's death may not be a suicide in the intentional sense of the word, but through his drug abuse, he unintentionally overdosed, thus killing himself.
Maybe its a bit much to link to the thread, but i feel that when people are saddened over this or depressed in general on GAF, more help never hurts.

I wish young people would stop idolizing people like this, I don’t want my daughter to look up to someone who dies of a drug overdose in their 20’s. She is 16 and at a vulnerable age though luckily she is smart enough to see that these people are losers no matter how much fame and fortune they have.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Which drug was it? Heroin?

Odds are fentanyl was involved these days. He wasn't necessarily doing heroin, could've been pills too. Prince (RIP) ODed on fentanyl that had been pressed to look like pharmaceutical vicodin or percocet. He probably had trouble getting legit refills from doctors and found himself with the wrong hookup.

Since fent is orders of magnitude more potent than oxycodone or heroin, it's difficult to measure out doses accurately outside of a legitimate medical environment and people are dying in huge numbers from fentanyl being sold as prescription opioids or heroin. If it wasn't measured out very precisely and also marked correctly to the equivalent dose of whatever it's being sold as, you could OD on the spot.

highrider

Banned
I wish young people would stop idolizing people like this, I don’t want my daughter to look up to someone who dies of a drug overdose in their 20’s. She is 16 and at a vulnerable age though luckily she is smart enough to see that these people are losers no matter how much fame and fortune they have.

That’s a pretty inhuman perspective. You are also missing an opportunity for a teachable moment. I have a son who is 15 and I’ve never found that drawing hard lines on human behavior is an intelligent approach to parenting, particularly of teenage kids. And obviously you’re wrong, Mac built an empire independent of record labels and was a highly advanced, self taught musician and produced and wrote everything he did.

God Enel

Odds are fentanyl was involved these days. He wasn't necessarily doing heroin, could've been pills too. Prince (RIP) ODed on fentanyl that had been pressed to look like pharmaceutical vicodin or percocet. He probably had trouble getting legit refills from doctors and found himself with the wrong hookup.

Since fent is orders of magnitude more potent than oxycodone or heroin, it's difficult to measure out doses accurately outside of a legitimate medical environment and people are dying in huge numbers from fentanyl being sold as prescription opioids or heroin. If it wasn't measured out very precisely and also marked correctly to the equivalent dose of whatever it's being sold as, you could OD on the spot.

Thanks I never heard of that drug. - well I don't know shit about drugs. Googling fentanyl shows that a shitload of people are overdosing with it (~20k?). Is it like a newly emerged drug? And more or less only used in the states (+Canada). Is it prescription based? And why would a doctor prescribe it if he isn't in a really bad state?!

hargwood

Banned
No sympathy. Could have easily killed others drink or drug driving. Glad his destructive behaviour only took himself out.

Redneckerz

Miller was also on Purple Drank - Some kind of cough syrup mixture that involves high amounts of codeine.

I dont think its wrong to idolize young people like this, what is a bigger issue is the normalizing of drugs use and abuse. Lil Peep is the now dead example of similarly aged folks like your daughter who have no off switch, yet have an exemplary role to fulfill due to their fame.

If anything, its tragic deaths like these that represent a parent's reminder to their off-spring: This is what happens if you go too far, so don't take that route.

No sympathy. Could have easily killed others drink or drug driving. Glad his destructive behaviour only took himself out.
Kind of impersonal here considering its still a life that passed on and was loved by many. I feel that we should have no sympathy for the fact that the drugs ingested by Miller are so easily to make and so easily to get ahold of in the US. Instead of this death be yet another one on the list of young artists dying too young, when will this epidemic be a catalyst to a better policy regarding these drugs? :pie_thinking:

kuhmayamaya

Banned
People with more money and fame than sense turn to drugs because their lives become empty. They want for nothing in a literal sense. Hard to feel sympathy for people like that, especially for someone involved in an idiotic musical genre that glorifies fame, drug use, and easy money.

That’s a pretty inhuman perspective. You are also missing an opportunity for a teachable moment. I have a son who is 15 and I’ve never found that drawing hard lines on human behavior is an intelligent approach to parenting, particularly of teenage kids. And obviously you’re wrong, Mac built an empire independent of record labels and was a highly advanced, self taught musician and produced and wrote everything he did.

I don’t think it’s an inhumane perspective, on the contrary I think what he done is inhumane by putting his parents and loved ones through the agony losing a child to a drug overdose.

I don’t draw a hard line in the sand on what content my daughters can and cannot consume. I like to take a back seat and guide my children rather than not allowing them to consume content. I’m very proud of how my eldest is going, she is studying medicine and is a great person hence I’m taking the same approach for my middle child (the one I was referring to in my previous post).

I’m sure Mac’s parents were immensely proud of what he had accomplished, as any parent is of their child and I can only imagine the pain and suffering they are going through at the moment.

I fail to see what I’m wrong about, I never disputed his success in his career only contemplated his immense ultimate failure of death by overdose.. that’s the issue I’m my opinion, young people without guidance see someone who’s rich and famous and try to imitate them, drugs use and all.

It’s the unlucky children and teenagers that don’t have the guidance you or I give to ours that are the tragic cases that follow the path of their idols, the ones that think taking Xanax and Lean in copious amounts is cool.

Last edited:

highrider

Banned
I don’t think it’s an inhumane perspective, on the contrary I think what he done is inhumane by putting his parents and loved ones through the agony losing a child to a drug overdose.

I don’t draw a hard line in the sand on what content my daughters can and cannot consume. I like to take a back seat and guide my children rather than not allowing them to consume content. I’m very proud of how my eldest is going, she is studying medicine and is a great person hence I’m taking the same approach for my middle child (the one I was referring to in my previous post).

I’m sure Mac’s parents were immensely proud of what he had accomplished, as any parent is of their child and I can only imagine the pain and suffering they are going through at the moment.

I fail to see what I’m wrong about, I never disputed his success in his career only contemplated his immense ultimate failure of death by overdose.. that’s the issue I’m my opinion, young people without guidance see someone who’s rich and famous and try to imitate them, drugs use and all.

It’s the unlucky children and teenagers that don’t have the guidance you or I give to ours that are the tragic cases that follow the path of their idols, the ones that think taking Xanax and Lean in copious amounts is cool.

Young people with guidance make those same mistakes. I said you were wrong by calling him or any other person with substance issues losers, and I still think you’re wrong. I actually think propensity for drug abuse is largely genetic with contributing environmental factors obviously. I can think of unlimited examples of kids from good homes with present and dedicated parents that died from opiates, it’s an epidemic in America. I appreciate you clarifying your thoughts, but it only confirms you have somewhat myopic viewpoints on drug abuse and young people.

Last edited:
Young people with guidance make those same mistakes. I said you were wrong by calling him or any other person with substance issues losers, and I still think you’re wrong. I actually think propensity for drug abuse is largely genetic with contributing environmental factors obviously. I can think of unlimited examples of kids from good homes with present and dedicated parents that died from opiates, it’s an epidemic in America. I appreciate you clarifying your thoughts, but it only confirms you have somewhat myopic viewpoints on drug abuse and young people.

Ah ok I see what you mean now, though I’m happy to stick by my ‘loser’ comment as I feel he is the literal definition. He had it all but he lost it.. lost his life to drugs.

Yes I agree there is scientific evidence towards people having a genetic pre-disposition to abusing drugs and given the right environment they are more likely to become addicts (I have first-hand experience throughout my youth with this with alcohol/cigarettes & cannabis), though I do feel that a lot of people use that evidence as a clutch to absolve themselves from utilizing their own will power to make better decisions. Throw opiates into the mix and its a recipe for disaster.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
What did he "have" that he threw away? Success? Stardom? Wealth? A hot GF? Seems like he had demons he was dealing with. Those don't go away if you get famous. On the contrary, it can all very easily send you to a much darker place.

You're under no obligation to give a shit about the guy, but just be mindful of how quick you jumped to dehumanize him and blame the sorrow and mourning surrounding his death directly on the dead guy. Like, how dare he die! What an asshole!

RIP Mac Miller. Probably rough for Ariana Grande to go through that terrorist attack concert last year and her BF ODs fatally this year. Yikes.

Top Bottom