• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TMNT: The Last Ronin getting a God of War-inspired video game

AlexxKidd

tlr_lee.0.jpg

From Polygon,

Like the comic, The Last Ronin video game adaptation will be a darker, more mature take on the typically colorful Ninja Turtles, according to Doug Rosen, senior vice president for games and emerging media at Paramount Global, the rights holders for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. In an interview with Polygon last week, Rosen likened the upcoming third-person action role-playing game to Sony’s recent God of War titles and said it will be authentic to the story of The Last Ronin arc, which is set in a future where only one of the turtles has survived.

MiguelItUp

Oh my god, this could be REALLY cool. I hope it's handled well. I just read this last year and I absolutely loved it. As a kid,
Michelangelo
was always my favorite, this whole story made me love him even more, lol.

Edit: To me not a spoiler, especially since it's even mentioned in the synopsis in some places, but hey. If people get upset about it...

Last edited:

TreyCinco

Neo Member
Please be good.

I’m still recovering a decade later after hearing Rocksteady had a dark open city TMNT game with Arkham combat in the prototype stages after Arkham City.
Was that ever confirmed? I thought that was made up by some video game journalist. A Last Ronin game sounds amazing though

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The writing in God of War Ragnarök is shit tier, the number of interruptions in the story and gameplay is excessive, it really is SLOG OF WAR, with shitty soap opera/marvel(which is shit) level writing.
Ok.

The gameplay and quest/set piece beats are dope as hell. This is TMNT, I have some swamp land for sale if you think the writing is going to be "stellar."

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I mean, the combat (gameplay) and graphics are a pretty damned good influence. What's the issue? Gameplay > everything else, amirite?
The batman arkham series seems like a far better influence, similar setting and story with a focus on stealth and smart use of the level design to take out enemies, as well as a really fucking good combat system. That seems like a far better influence than a combat heavy cinematic hack and slash, and IMO it'd be where they should build the game off of instead. Spiderman too, though to a lesser extent since turtles can't shoot webs out of their wrists

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The batman arkham series seems like a far better influence, similar setting and story with a focus on stealth and smart use of the level design to take out enemies, as well as a really fucking good combat system. That seems like a far better influence than a combat heavy cinematic hack and slash, and IMO it'd be where they should build the game off of instead. Spiderman too, though to a lesser extent since turtles can't shoot webs out of their wrists
I am sure there are multiple influences, they just picked the hottest flavor at the moment that will gain social media traction. Rocksteady has fallen off real hard.

But then the shitty camera will makes things even shittier.
Opines.

Mr Hyde

Love the current surge of Turtles. Cowabunga Collection and Shredders Revenge was awesome. I hope they deliver with this concept. The Last Ronin arc is something I'm not familiar with. It sounds exciting so definitely gonna keep my eyes on this.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I am sure there are multiple influences, they just picked the hottest flavor at the moment that will gain social media traction. Rocksteady has fallen off real hard.
yeah, maybe that's the case. Kratos is certainly more popular in the gaming scene than Batman. We need a new style of game like that after Rocksteady dropped the ball :/

Arhkam Asylum has made me really like the setting of Batman. I didn't even give 2 shits about him until i played that game, so good! I can imagine it'd do the same for TMNT for a lot of other people who haven't gotten into the series, especially if it's executed with the same type of love and respect of the source material that the Arkham games had

I hope it's a retelling of the comic because i haven't read this last ronin thing. I really like the design, though

Last edited:

manfestival

I don't mind this but I definitely think it would be cooler like the old god of war games over the newer one. However, all I care about is having a good game at the end of the day.

BlackTron

“…set in a future where only one of the turtles has survived.”

This kind of defeats the purpose of TMNT?

You need to read The Last Ronin. All of the turtles were still in it, in flashbacks and memories. It was meant to be about their downfall and the story beats matched the themes of the original comics. Much of the stuff we have gotten in the interim time is less TMNT, than Last Ronin.

The Stig

So I'm a big TMNT and God of War fan AND I bought that comic hardback and LOVED IT.

I just told my GF about this game and she said "they literally couldnt make it more perfect for you!"

Top Bottom