• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tips for a new eBay user?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
I'm trying to clean out my room and decided to get with the times and try selling my stuff on eBay. I was just wondering if anyone had any general tips to aid in the selling of my goods. All help is appreciated.

bjork

Post photos on each auction.

Explain clearly as to exactly what you're selling, and which methods of payment you'd accept.

Maintain good contact with bidders/winners and remain friendly unless some deadbeat forces you to get rude.

Tortfeasor

Sign up for a pay pal premier account and get verified. It is a pain in the ass, but worth it.

Do not accept checks, and take money orders only if they are drawn on the USPS.

If you have (0) feedback, buy a few cheap items so that you can get your feedback up to 5 at least. Some people will not bid at all if you have a feedback of 0, and if you look at completed auctions you will see that people with higher feedback often sell their items for a proportionally higher amount than those with no feedback.

Ohh... Lastly, do not ship until the money has cleared!

Good luck!

shoplifter

Tortfeasor said:
Sign up for a pay pal premier account and get verified. It is a pain in the ass, but worth it.

If you're not planning on selling mass amounts of stuff, I'd recommend against this. I'd just do a basic account. You're going to take a hit on every sale in Paypal fees if you go premier.

When I sell, I make it crystal clear in the auction text that I don't accept credit cards and that I'll only take EFTs, money orders, cash and checks (upon their clearance). Signing up for Premier will enable you to accept credit cards, but is the fee (i think around 4% on all sales iirc) worth it to you?

belgurdo

Banned
The value of stuff at many times is tied into your user ranking. Try selling something rare at 0 feedback, and then try it again at like 30 or so. Like someone else said, it pays to just buy stuff until you get a rank of 10 or so, then sell as you please. It also pays to be specific as possible on the bid listing, since people don't like to read and sometimes think they'll dictate the listing to them, when you can instead just direct them back to the page.

I don't agree with the Basic PayPal account. It looks like you're an amatuer ass if you start charging people the PayPal Premium fees and/or limiting only to balance/checking. Just think of the 2.3(?) percent fee as something you'll make up by having more people bid on your auctions. I know that unless an auction is extremely rare, I only bid on PayPal auctions (and I avoid auctions that make you pay the fees. It's too messy and I question how professional the transaction is gonna be... right or wrong). And I sell much more than I buy. So I practice what I preach.

And do a completed search to determine what your item is gonna sell for. If there's a lot of activity for that item, just start the bidding at .99 cents. It gets more people involved (Which avoids the cootie dust of an auction sitting days with no bids) and is the cheapest fee. Unless it's extreme circumstances, I do .99 cent opening bid or a Buy It Now fixed auction (Or 99 cent opening with a Buy It Now option). Anything else is a waste of money IMO. Nothing makes me chuckle more than an opening bid of say 10.00. Anytime someone starts an opening bid at .01 cents into the next fee structure, it's such a waste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom