• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Three people arrested over unofficial Club Penguin site

Draugoth

Gold Member

_124167967_penguinj1.png

City of London police have arrested three people for running an unofficial version of Disney's game Club Penguin.

Police, acting on the wishes of Disney, took down the website, which claimed to have millions of registered users.

It comes after a BBC investigation in 2020 witnessed players simulating sex and exchanging racist and anti-Semitic abuse on another unauthorised clone of the children's game.
Police have released the suspects as they investigate copyright offences.

StormCell

I really don't get this story.

Tell me again, why are the police involved in this? Do police get involved in copyright matters?

Tell me again how the police took down a website.

This is seriously making my brain hurt. Seemed to me that the web host would have been the ones to drop the site for copyright infringement when Disney's lawyers would have sent them proper notice.

Annnd running an unofficial copy of a game no longer offered to the public violates copyright?... does this mean all those unofficial Ultima Online shards I used to play on were violating copyright? Well then fuck Copyright, because it's not serving me! How do we get these wonky laws that serve a scarce few and hurt the many??

Or is this a matter for the police because somebody somewhere was doing something considered hurtful like spewing racial slurs for the lolz?? Seems British enough.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
They are knocking down the doors in China and Russia as we speak? No, they only flex their corporate Gestapo's in the West?

More irony on the plate of jokes like Disney. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

StormCell

I'm pretty sure there are laws and societies have an organization to enforce those laws. Some of those law enforcement officers are called "police".
Yes, but police have jurisdiction restrictions. Can't say I've ever heard of anyone's local police taking down web sites and enforcing interstate copyrights. London Police have some serious reach when they can go global and pull down web sites and get involved in copyright infringements. I would have expected the UK to have a government agency similar to the FBI for handling crimes that extend beyond the boundaries of little ol' London.

Top Bottom