• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THR: Apple, Amazon Join Race for James Bond Film Rights

So in this "Taken but with Bond" �� he is married to the one girl Craig had the least amount of chemistry with? Okay!

And then she gets fridged.

tenor.gif

also actually™ OHMSS is good®

Amazon could be interesting.
I don't think the movie series has ever been all that great but I believe Bond would be perfect material for a tv show eventually. The current comics are actually pretty fantastic. Probably not gonna happen anytime soon though, the Broccilis are too stuck in their ways. And for good reason, can't really blame them considering the box-office numbers. But we get maybe one good Bond movie per decade so I'd like to see some change.

The only thing interesting about a potential Bond universe is Bond himself, so I don't see much point in it. Of course they'll find a way to shovel it down our throats anyway

The only thing interesting about a potential Bond universe is Bond himself, so I don't see much point in it. Of course they'll find a way to shovel it down our throats anyway

I could see a show about the inner workings of MI6 (or better yet, SPECTRE) working, but only if Bond/Blofeld are only mentioned and never shown.

Craig out for revenge might be a good last ride for him if they play it right, don't have much faith though.

Dunno if Apple/Amazon have much to gain from bidding for distribution. Surely a cinema release is already the most profitable way to do it, and they could have paid for streaming exclusivity to the current distributor?

jelly

I wouldn't mind, most of them aren't really good films anyway and if they bring new ideas, thank god.

If Apple got Bond they could put out a movie instead of a keynote.

Apple Bond Car, Apple Bond Watch, 007 iPhone, Q - iPad, Moneypenny - iMac, M - Macbook.... There would be apple products all over the damn screen.

James Bond would suddenly have to eat an apple in every movie too.

Bond would even have a girlfriend named Siri, who dies a tragic death at the hands of his Supervillian named, "The Android".

I'm not entirely sure that Bond as a franchise has a chance at being truly great ever again. They fucked up the Daniel Craig 'reboot' of the character so goddamn hard.

Neophant

OHMSS was a solid James Bond movie...up until the uncomfortable scene with Bond seducing a brainwashed woman in the Alps. As much as the ending of the film was poignant and tragic, it's really hard to see George Lazenby's 007 as anything more than a lecherous and impulsive secret agent.

Also I'm not liking how a lot of the remaining independent big film franchises are slowly being bought up in a monopolistic way. I'd be alright with the Bond film rights going to Apple or Amazon, though as the article suggests, I doubt the Broccoli family would want to stray from releasing the films theatrically.

jelly

OHMSS was a solid James Bond movie...up until the uncomfortable scene with Bond seducing a brainwashed woman in the Alps. As much as the ending of the film was poignant and tragic, it's really hard to see George Lazenby's 007 as anything more than a lecherous and impulsive secret agent.

Also I'm not liking how a lot of the remaining independent big film franchises are slowly being bought up in a monopolistic way. I'd be alright with the Bond film rights going to Apple or Amazon, though as the article suggests, I doubt the Broccoli family would want to stray from releasing the films theatrically.

Amazon actually aren't against releasing films in the cinema. They've done so already.

daxy

How much creative input would they have?

I sincerely hope they won't turn Bond into the same generic and nauseatingly safe movies like the latest Star Wars and Marvel stuff.

I'd rather watch a flawed movie than the same bland goop that some of these other studios churn out.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Here's hoping Warner gets it. Then it's gift-wrapped for Nolan as a birthday present. Get to it.

pswii60

Oh dear.

If Apple or Amazon got it, would that mean it skips the cinema outing altogether? That would surely be a legitimate crime for the Bond franchise.

Apple should stick to the tech.

Here's hoping Warner gets it. Then it's gift-wrapped for Nolan as a birthday present. Get to it.

I'll be hoping the same. Nolan clearly wants to work on Bond, but he won't go anywhere near it if it's a TV series or a film released on streaming services.

Anth0ny

damn, actually makes a lot of sense for Apple. would be an amazing commercial and would probably actually be LESS cringeworthy than all the blatant sony product placement already in the bond films lol

Everyone saying Apple would ruin the film by placing their products throughout haven't been paying much attention. Sony gear is everywhere in the Bond franchise, so this wouldn't be any different, just a higher profile brand really.

Besides, Craig wanted to use an iPhone in Spectre, but the staid wouldn't let him.

I'm not entirely sure that Bond as a franchise has a chance at being truly great ever again. They fucked up the Daniel Craig 'reboot' of the character so goddamn hard.
If it was possible after Die Another Day, then anything's possible. The series may have faltered with Spectre, but it's nowhere near DAD bad

Salvadora

Thankfully, I don't think EON would give the distribution rights to either of those parties.

Bond should remain a cinema event.

TheXbox

Yup. This is best case scenario.

Can't wrap my head around why THR is pointing to Villeneuve for the next movie. Everyone forgets about Dune :(

shaneo632

If that leak is legit then it sounds like the next Bond movie is just going to be more endless pastiche rather than anything interesting.

Not saying a good Bond film needs to be the paragon of originality but relentless cribbing from earlier films, especially so blatantly, is so boring.

If it was possible after Die Another Day, then anything's possible. The series may have faltered with Spectre, but it's nowhere near DAD bad

True, but I think at some point you can only reboot a franchise so many times before it just ceases to have a concrete personality altogether.

That OHMSS remake sounds like a load of phooey, I knew it had to be fake. It's probably just a fake plot someone created for the sake of promoting a new film.

A film or show about a female agent in the same world is the obvious one.

They actually tried to do a few female spinoff Bond films in the past. A few of them unsurprisingly never went anywhere.

I'll be hoping the same. Nolan clearly wants to work on Bond, but he won't go anywhere near it if it's a TV series or a film released on streaming services.

Or a film where he won't have creative control, since EON has their own thing going on, and I'm not sure Nolan would be interested because of it, so WB snatching the rights would probably help.

Both films still made a lot of money though, so a new installment is very likely. The only question has to do with quality.

Rolodzeo

Amazon would be interesting, they need to beef up their Prime service and the acquisitions of these kind of IPs would do wonders to them.

I didn’t see anything in there about an iPhone. Just that he didn’t want to use a Sony phone.

You're right! I remember reading that on an Apple site, so I'm sure I got my wires crossed some. And it wasn't just that he didn't want to use a Sony phone, apparently he cringed at Samsung too, with the idea of Bond only using "the best." That could be from another manufacturer than Apple.

Pachimari

I hope Warner Bros closes this deal soon.

I don't want a cinematic universe or tv shows. Merchandise and the occasional film is fine.

nampad

Thinking of it, I am so used to see Bond using Sony gadgets, it would be weird to see him use an Apple Watch or talk to Alexa.

Top Bottom