• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thought Experiment #3: You got a blank check. As Creative Director, what game would you make?

GreenAlien

I've always loved the idea of running a multi-crew capital ship, with a commander, pilot, gunners, sensor operator who sees a tactical plot the commander doesn't, engineer in a separate section of the ship juggling bullshit to make the ship perform at max, etc.
Have you tried "Bomber Crew"? I haven't tried it yet, but reading this reminded me of it..

Ian Henry

I got 2 ideas:

1. A 3D Fighting game that's very visceral and non linear. Character's have these chakra holders that allows them to execute a finisher or a secret move. As you progress with matches you win, you're able to unlock moves for your character and finishers. Arcade, Story, Online, Vs. , Survival, and Exhibition. There is a storyline in the game and it comes into play when two characters whether they are connected, related, or rivals which gives a special intro. The aesthetic of the game is filled with Hip Hop vibes and influences. Basically it's Tekken and KOF meets Def Jam. The style, music, and character designs all invoke a Hip Hop sensibility. In Addition, there is a single player mode called Arena Mode. It allows you to use any character to engage in specific challenges. The combat and perspective is very similar to the Batman: Arkham series in which it all you scope and strategize your playstyle and next move. Allowing you to set up combos. Exhibition mode has you view a characters origin, trivia, voice clips, model, and a demonstration of their martial art. The 1st game takes place in the mid 90s, 1996 to be exact. Goes through many different location as characters are either from the sunny West Coast, Beast Coast, Mid West, or Dirty South showcasing a diversity of characters. It later evolves with different time periods through each installment. Still putting in some ideas for the game and story.

2. A co-op platformer featuring two human characters. Both flexible and athletic stature, they are able to get through many obstacles and challenges. The characters are named Hakeem and Malik. Hakeem is streetwise, level minded, and brute force. Malik is the reckless, carefree, and agile. Despite helping each other in the story missions, they also have individual missions specific to each character. Hakeem has action and fighting gameplay elements and Malik has stealth and puzzle gameplay elements. Set in modern day Santa Monica, California. Hakeem and Malik go through many comedic moments and adventures as they discover the secrets of their town and the weird events that occur in it.

trikster40

I’d make one do the following:

A full-fledged Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall remake. I loved this game but it was so hard to play.

An Everquest single player adventure, massive world, ability to play coop up to 4 players.

Dargor

The greatest game of all, a grand strategy battle simulator sandbox rpg.

Think Paradox games huge maps and their interactions (Crusader Kings/etc) + Total War huge battles + Mount and Blade combats.

egocrata

Banned
X-Wing va Tie Fighter Armada ~ up to 100 players online epic space sim, including the chance of being at the helm of Star Destroyers with a full human bridge crew.

Do it yesterday.

molasar

Banned
9. Landstalker 2 - the same heroes, new adventure with 2D graphics action adventure RPG
10. Alundra 3 - a proper sequel to the first one with 2D graphics action adventure RPG
11. Story of Thor 3/Oasis 3 - another installment with 2D graphics action adventure RPG
12. Omega Boost 2 - in the same vein of the first one
13. Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story 2 - 2D graphics, Tower of Death tournament with enemies from other Lee's films
14. WeaponLord 2 - prequel/sequel, 2D graphics, less complicated moves system
15. Alien vs. Predator 2 Arcade - 2D graphics beat'em up/brawler, new hunting season, new xeno outbreak at refinery colony and space station
16. Star Wars: Jedi vs. Sith - 2D graphics fighting game with characters from SW universe

Last edited:
Skyrim with dinosaurs.

An open world Elder Scrolls esque action RPG where you are a caveman in a prehistoric world of dinosaurs and I mean classical lizard like dinosaurs, not feathered ones.

Or for something similar but more specific an open world Jurassic Park survival game, a retelling of the first book/movie, choose from Alan Grant, Ian Malcolm or Ellie Sattler and explore the entirety of Isla Nublar to find a way off the island while dealing not just with dinosaurs but also armed Biosyn mercenaries, led by Lewis Dogdson, there to retrieve Nedry's shaving cream can.

Ninja Gaiden 4: Back in Black

Basically a Ninja Gaiden Black sequel set in the Vigoor empire from the first Ninja Gaiden.

That is a GREAT idea!

Vigoor was such an interesting setting with it's weird blend of middle eastern, Egyptian, Cambodian and even Mayan architectures.

lock2k

Banned
Skyrim with dinosaurs.

An open world Elder Scrolls esque action RPG where you are a caveman in a prehistoric world of dinosaurs and I mean classical lizard like dinosaurs, not feathered ones.

Or for something similar but more specific an open world Jurassic Park survival game, a retelling of the first book/movie, choose from Alan Grant, Ian Malcolm or Ellie Sattler and explore the entirety of Isla Nublar to find a way off the island while dealing not just with dinosaurs but also armed Biosyn mercenaries, led by Lewis Dogdson, there to retrieve Nedry's shaving cream can.

That is a GREAT idea!

Vigoor was such an interesting setting with it's weird blend of middle eastern, Egyptian, Cambodian and even Mayan architectures.

I would play the shit out if this Jurassic Park game. Great idea!

A.Romero

2D RPG where you take control of a recently graduated Mexican Federal police in a cartel dominated region of Mexico. Through the game you make decisions which will align you as a police man (worse weapons, harder because rules of engagement, etc) or as a corrupted cop/sicario. The game would feature a sanity level, where your character's sanity goes down as you do despisable things for the cartel. Only drugs can help you regain sanity but at the cost of becoming addicted and having to do worse things to score. On the police side you could get married and then restore sanity by spending time with your family.

It would feature turn based combat and have non realistic art. Lots of tough decisions, hard as nails, emotive writing... Yeah. That would be the game I'd produce.

DiscoJer

Something like Elite but in the Star Wars universe. The Expanded Universe.

I'd also like to see an Elder Scrolls style game set in Middle Earth. EA planned one once, The White Council, but EA EAed it.

I would play the shit out if this Jurassic Park game. Great idea!

It's such an obvious idea I'm shocked no one has tried in recent years other than the el cheapo 2011 Telltale game.

Jurassic Park could make for an entire series of games, the sequel could take place on Site B and there could even be games based on Jurassic World (though personally I'm way more interested in sticking to the Michael Crichton source material)

What I envision though would be like a blend of the book and movie, aesthetically it would be like the movie but with locations, like the hotel, seen only in the book.

molasar

Banned
17. Indiana Jones - non linear open world, 3D graphics action adventure, the game does not show where to go exactly, you have to solve puzzles on your own based on tools, items and intel you obtain, some are similar to Assassin's Creed Origins Papyrus ones, some require you to decipher/translate ancient code/language, some require you to be in a specific place and time and use a particular item/tool, other puzzles are incorporating random number generator for example information you gathered points to a treasure/artefact digging location by telling how many steps and direction (steps and direction are randomized)have to be taken from a specific landmark. Without found and used intel, the game does not generate anything at the digging location. No ridiculous ones or ones which do not make sense in the context of story.

Strider311

Metal Gear Solid 6, which includes MGSV chapter 3 as prologue. Play as actual Big Boss and cover his adventures with Sniper Wolf, Null/Frank Jaeger, etc etc etc. End the game with a surprise chapter that is essentially a Metal Gear 1 remake.

molasar

Banned
18. An educational game with puzzles which are based on STEM knowledge. To solve them if you do not have the specific knowledge, you have to look for it outside the game.

Traianvs

Since I love musou games I would do a dynasty warriors set in ancient Rome with high production values, lots of selectable generals, emperors and heroes, the chance to play it all dubbed in Latin and a system similar to Kingdom under fire where you can control the single armies on the battlefield.

Despera

Banned
A VR title that showcases the strengths of that medium with the budget of a AAA game.

Probably something quirky/surreal in nature as well. Think adventure game with LSD Dream Simulator mind fuckery.

Ian Henry

Darkstalkers IV or a new Road Rash with online support and a kick ass soundtrack.
I fuck with this alot. I noticed you liked my ideas. Do you think the ideas are good enough to warrant a full game. It's just that a pure bred 3D Fighter with Hip Hop influences and sensibilities is nowhere to be seen. You have Def Jam but that's really a wrestling game. What are your thoughts?

lock2k

Banned
I fuck with this alot. I noticed you liked my ideas. Do you think the ideas are good enough to warrant a full game. It's just that a pure bred 3D Fighter with Hip Hop influences and sensibilities is nowhere to be seen. You have Def Jam but that's really a wrestling game. What are your thoughts?

I would buy both of your games. Loved the attention to detail and the plots and I really enjoy 90's hip hop aesthetic and sensibilities. It fits with fighting games like peanut butfer and jelly!

NahaNago

Setting: Zelda world
Genre: adventure/rpg
Single Player
Who or what do you play as? link, Zelda , and ganondorf

So I've really been wanting a Zelda game where you get to start out as ganondorf for the the tutorial, and then you play Zelda next for a bit of the story, and then the rest of the game as link. The style would be ghibli princess Mononoke, less ni no kuni more breath of the wild.

edit : besides that Zelda game I really would like my blank check to go towards life like a.i . I hate that you have a couple of lines when talking to a character and then they become just a repeat recording when I want them to be able to go beyond the mission you have with that character. I would like to be able to pretty much talk to a npc characters without having to pick a dialogue choice. I would create a massive online rpg world with more of a Japanese/ Korean/Chinese style fantasy realm. With multiple continents, then worlds, and then realms. It would have the cultivation/level system from China, the character style from Korea(no loli), and the combined fantasy world from Japan and China.

Last edited:

Shifty

Hmm, one of my more fun ideas: An Unarmed CQC Character Action Game

Think the action parts of this awesome cutscene, but playable:

Lots of focus on grappling, disarming, using the enemy's tools against them, etc. I always thought MGS could have taken the idea further given how much reverence the characters seem to have for CQC, so why not make a full game based around the idea?

I'd probably want to put mechanics in there that you'd usually only see in a wrestling or UFC game- hold transitions, escapes, reversals, and so forth, to really lean into the hand-to-hand nature of it.

Last edited:

FStubbs

It depends on whether I have to show a profit or not, because the game I'd make if I had a blank check probably wouldn't be profitable.

I would do an image board simulator in which you debate NPCs by simply writing off their opinions and forging alliances with other NPCs that simply echo what you're saying. It also has a couple of RPG elements.

molasar

Banned
19. A simulation game which tries to portrait today's real social, political and economic situation of the world. You as a player, take control one of the countries and your goal is to make it self sufficient and sustainable without destroying its natural environment, biomass. You have to bring a rational merit based system to all aspects of life and limit waste of resources and overproduce only if it is necessary to trade with other countries or to make supplies. In the end you are getting away form a monetary based system.

I almost don’t care about the details of the setting. Mostly I just want to have a beautiful graphical MMO which is the equivalent of a MUD. And when I say “equivalent,” I mean in terms of the depth of player interaction and how it shapes the world. Not just teaming up to grind with folks, but intricate political and personal relationships and a real sense of community. Not to say you can find that in every MUD, either, but I’ve never heard of it on the same level as I’ve found in any MUD in any graphical MMO. If anyone else has, please point me in the right direction.

ReBurn

Gold Member
A KOTOR/Mass Effect type single player space opera third person action rpg.

That's as far as I got.

Rodolink

Several ideas, some of them I've been working on recently, some are always bugging me at the back of my head.

1. Early industrial revolution, a journalist photographer of wildlife is sent to a recently and secretly discovered island, his job is to catalogue new species, but he was never expecting The dangers he'd find...
-photography gameplay inspired by Pokemon Snap, with a touch of survival like Monster Hunter. An action game where killing beasts is not the objective but rather taking the best pictures (which only happen when you approach danger by several means like sneaking, etc).
-i thought about it when the WiiU came out. Thinking using the gamepad as a camera. Now it can be good for VR.

2. A platformer action game where you're a soldier sick of the government Military and decides yo take it out without using violence.
-short, fast paced levels. Where you have to memorize enemy patterns to duck, jump, slide evading bullets and projectiles.
-levels are like 5-30 sec long

3. I'm currently working on the story. But basically the idea in gameplay is that you control a kid that can barely carry a huge slab of a sword (Berserker like giant sword) u use the sword in awkward ways to defeat the enemies until you get strong. At the ending your character has progressed to the level that he can carry the giant sword with one hand and he's ultra strong (DBZ Brolly level or Sakura from Danganronpa level)
-dark fantasy setting

4. a secret (not so secret anymore) project where you wander the earth in search of 18 swords. You travel in your Motorbike. Solitary exploration game, in a Scotish like environment. I'm designing the story scenario, and character atm.

5. And a project we did at school to win a funding contest. But couldn't do it at the end, the professor said it would never sell.
Imagine an arcade racer using spaceships and equipping special weapons for each character. Kind of like FZero competitions but without racetracks, just flying in space towards a goal, the means you use to reach it are your own.
-Thor Ragnarok has a scene that protrays the feeling of the races.
-Visuals like FZero and Daft Punks animated movie.

And many more :(
More ideas come to mind all the time making impossible to develop all. I mostly get my ideas while sleeping and dreaming.
I certainly would love to lead a team to make these.

Another one would be to make the "Zelda killer" a OOT level game that redefines an era. But I'm not shiggy, nor work at Nintendo u_u

quickwhips

I would build wow arena for console and warding gulch. I think as a multiplayer only with loot earned in pvp it could be pretty great.

Ian Henry

Several ideas, some of them I've been working on recently, some are always bugging me at the back of my head.

1. Early industrial revolution, a journalist photographer of wildlife is sent to a recently and secretly discovered island, his job is to catalogue new species, but he was never expecting The dangers he'd find...
-photography gameplay inspired by Pokemon Snap, with a touch of survival like Monster Hunter. An action game where killing beasts is not the objective but rather taking the best pictures (which only happen when you approach danger by several means like sneaking, etc).
-i thought about it when the WiiU came out. Thinking using the gamepad as a camera. Now it can be good for VR.

2. A platformer action game where you're a soldier sick of the government Military and decides yo take it out without using violence.
-short, fast paced levels. Where you have to memorize enemy patterns to duck, jump, slide evading bullets and projectiles.
-levels are like 5-30 sec long

3. I'm currently working on the story. But basically the idea in gameplay is that you control a kid that can barely carry a huge slab of a sword (Berserker like giant sword) u use the sword in awkward ways to defeat the enemies until you get strong. At the ending your character has progressed to the level that he can carry the giant sword with one hand and he's ultra strong (DBZ Brolly level or Sakura from Danganronpa level)
-dark fantasy setting

4. a secret (not so secret anymore) project where you wander the earth in search of 18 swords. You travel in your Motorbike. Solitary exploration game, in a Scotish like environment. I'm designing the story scenario, and character atm.

5. And a project we did at school to win a funding contest. But couldn't do it at the end, the professor said it would never sell.
Imagine an arcade racer using spaceships and equipping special weapons for each character. Kind of like FZero competitions but without racetracks, just flying in space towards a goal, the means you use to reach it are your own.
-Thor Ragnarok has a scene that protrays the feeling of the races.
-Visuals like FZero and Daft Punks animated movie.

And many more :(
More ideas come to mind all the time making impossible to develop all. I mostly get my ideas while sleeping and dreaming.
I certainly would love to lead a team to make these.

Another one would be to make the "Zelda killer" a OOT level game that redefines an era. But I'm not shiggy, nor work at Nintendo u_u
I like that. Damn 1 and 2 sound interesting.

Top Bottom