• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thought Experiment #3: You got a blank check. As Creative Director, what game would you make?

Jigsaah

Gold Member
If you're anything like me, at one point in your gaming career you dreamed up a game concept. You poured over the details in your mind, what the characters would look like...the kind of story it would have. The mechanics, the setting and scale of the game. What system it would be perfect for.

I'm making this thread simply because it's a thought that has returned to me recently. I've always wanted to make a ninja MMO. But not just any MMO, a completely living PVP/PVE world within feudal Japan. It would include Japanese Mythology. Oni(demon) bosses. Elder Scrolls Online-esque persistant online battles that would be in seasons as well as smaller skirmishes to win supplies for your village. Activities would include stealth missions, seiges on enemy castles, espionage, martial arts and ninjutsu training, ninja tool crafting. There would be no limit of factions. Players could defect to other factions for money, or because of organic disagreements with the philosophy of your native clan. Ninjas could go rogue, never allowed in the villages but still able to forge a more solitary life on the fringes of the war and influence the war as mercenaries if they wish. Roleplaying is extremely important to the reward system in this game. So setting up epic moments and playing them out rewards better items.

In short....it would be FUCKING AWESOME!

So my question...it's in the title. What kind of games have you dreamed of? I understand this may induce some pretty long posts so let me try and organize this from the word vomit I produced in the above paragraph. Mind you, everybody's idea is good to them, so please refrain from trolling someone else's idea. Mine is close to my heart, I'm sure yours is too so let's respect that.

The game does not have to have a title, but please use this to help organize your thoughts:
Setting (time, place):
Genre: FPS? MMO? Action Adventure? Sports? Walking Simulator? Horror?
Sub Genre: Battle Royale/MMO Lite/ LooterShooter
Single Player/ Co-op/ Competitive/ etc.
Who or what do you play as?
What is the gameplay loop?
Story?

Thanks for your input in advance, I'd like to see what kinda ideas are out there.

Last edited:
One genre I love that console players really don't have a lot of options in is flying games. When I was finishing up college 15 or so years ago I worked in the evenings sitting at the desk at a rec center then closing it up. Had a lot of boring hours to fill so one time I wrote up an idea for a game. Wish I still had those notes, but not that it mattered.

Would have been a flying game with an emphasis on multiplayer and modes like what War Thunder turned out to have. But with more Ace Combat type of controls (not so sim heavy as WT) and a CS type of mode where you can upgrade/buy better planes between rounds. Was thinking jets and up but you could start with the first combat jets up through today's modern planes. Was influenced by how much I loved Crimson Skies (and the ability on some maps to land & exchange planes or get into missile turret and shoot/guide the missile). Add a coop campaign and I would play the dogshit ouf of this game.

---

But just over the past couple years I've been thinking about how amazing a Crimson Skies sequel could be. It's such a great alternate history that you could expand on the campaign to make it world-wide (and therefore see how different the countries/states look elsewhere). Could be a great coop campaign about maybe busting up the British Empire (as they held on to & expanded their colonies in this timeline). But the multiplayer could be absolutely amazing if you took the customization from a game like Crossout (but made the builder easier to use) and applied it to Crimson Skies. Like HOLY FUCKBALLS just talking about it makes me want to play it so bad. I would totally build a badass Doppelganger build. Ugh, Phil please give me a call!

Jigsaah

Gold Member
One genre I love that console players really don't have a lot of options in is flying games. When I was finishing up college 15 or so years ago I worked in the evenings sitting at the desk at a rec center then closing it up. Had a lot of boring hours to fill so one time I wrote up an idea for a game. Wish I still had those notes, but not that it mattered.

Would have been a flying game with an emphasis on multiplayer and modes like what War Thunder turned out to have. But with more Ace Combat type of controls (not so sim heavy as WT) and a CS type of mode where you can upgrade/buy better planes between rounds. Was thinking jets and up but you could start with the first combat jets up through today's modern planes. Was influenced by how much I loved Crimson Skies (and the ability on some maps to land & exchange planes or get into missile turret and shoot/guide the missile). Add a coop campaign and I would play the dogshit ouf of this game.

---

But just over the past couple years I've been thinking about how amazing a Crimson Skies sequel could be. It's such a great alternate history that you could expand on the campaign to make it world-wide (and therefore see how different the countries/states look elsewhere). Could be a great coop campaign about maybe busting up the British Empire (as they held on to & expanded their colonies in this timeline). But the multiplayer could be absolutely amazing if you took the customization from a game like Crossout (but made the builder easier to use) and applied it to Crimson Skies. Like HOLY FUCKBALLS just talking about it makes me want to play it so bad. I would totally build a badass Doppelganger build. Ugh, Phil please give me a call!

Dude Crimsom Skies was one of my favorite OG Xbox Games. I almost got to the top of the leaderboard in that game. My white whale's gamertag was "Moose of Woe" Never saw him in battle but he always had just a few wins more than me.

Kadayi

Banned
A very long time back I had an idea for a sort of limited MMO style Space Exploration game with a kind of hard sci-fi-ish setting wherein you'd basically join up for extra-solar expeditions for corporations that were like dedicated instances lasting a couple of real-time weeks and limited to those who signed up. Within that time frame. During that period you'd undertake various missions solo or co-operatively to help map out planetary systems, establish bases (and grow them), build communications arrays, survey flora and fauna and defend bases and or ships against incursion (possibly from rival corporations featuring other players). At the end of the expedition, you'd gain experience and credits based on your contribution towards the mission objectives.

Everyone would basically start off as disposable proles beholden to the corporations, but through progress, they'd be able to unlock more advanced and interesting mission types (subterfuge, smuggling, hacking, etc) as well as gain access to advanced customisation options and equipment, even up to commandeering their own vessels.

Everything discovered and built would be persistent and you'd be able to keep track of your contribution to things.

I think the idea had legs, but the real issue was whether it would be fun, and more pertinently how to maintain peoples interest in it.

Last edited:

Verdanth

Two games:

a) A new true original story of Dragon Ball. It would be an action-rpg.

b) A ninja game, set in ancient japan. The game would be totally a coop experience. The missions would require extreme stealth and coordination between teammates. Tons of ninjutsu and martial arts.

The game would feature online ninja clans that could enter your game and sabotage the missions you do, however should you fail to sabotage the mission you would lose honor in the clan, lowering you on the clan ranks. To raise rapidly in the clan you could challenge other members of the clan, but should you lose you would have to leave the clan.

Each clan would have its own academy and you would need to take nippon arts classes to raise your knowledge on how to perform and combat as a ninja. The way you decided to use these arts would define you as a ninja. Think of it like a ninja hogwarts.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
A very long time back I had an idea for a sort of limited MMO style Space Exploration game with a kind of hard sci-fi-ish setting wherein you'd basically join up for extra-solar expeditions for corporations that were like dedicated instances lasting a couple of real-time weeks and limited to those who signed up. Within that time frame. During that period you'd undertake various missions solo or co-operatively to help map out planetary systems, establish bases (and grow them), build communications arrays, survey flora and fauna and defend bases and or ships against incursion (possibly from rival corporations featuring other players). At the end of the expedition, you'd gain experience and credits based on your contribution towards the mission objectives.

Everyone would basically start off as disposable proles beholden to the corporations, but through progress, they'd be able to unlock more advanced and interesting mission types (subterfuge, smuggling, hacking, etc) as well as gain access to advanced customisation options and equipment, even up to commandeering their own vessels.

Everything discovered and built would be persistent and you'd be able to keep track of your contribution to things.

I think the idea had legs, but the real issue was whether it would be fun, and more pertinently how to maintain peoples interest in it.

I like this idea! Would there be an inevitability where maybe your interests as an explorer would lead you into some type of conflict with other players? Not necessarily combat, but lets say like vying for contracts...so it becomes like a buyers market where you're trying to offer best price for your services and some other player sees the contract on the table and agrees to do it for less? Just an example but I could see this being like an entrepreneurship simulation and it seems really interesting.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Two games:

a) A new true original story of Dragon Ball. It would be an action-rpg.

b) A ninja game, set in ancient japan. The game would be totally a coop experience. The missions would require extreme stealth and coordination between teammates. Tons of ninjutsu and martial arts.

B. sounds like Splinter Cell Chaos theory, but with ninjas and their skills. Chaos Theory co-op was really fun. I'd definitely buy that game. When you talk about Dragon Ball, you're saying it would be in that universe and not canon? Would you play as Goku?

I would do a new shining force thats a continuation or prequel to SFI/SFII

I dont know if it'd be good, but MAYBE i'd incorporate some valkyria chronicles / Xcom -lite machanics to the gameplay.

keep it in the same vain as SFII, where adventuring was a key aspect. I may incorporate more, as well as some branching paths, and generations done similarly to Phantasy star 3

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Marvel vs DC vs Capcom vs Snk vs NRS vs ARK, high res 2D animation developed by Capcom.

Last edited:

GermanZepp

ufff.. makes me wet just thinking about it. An new IP. It's an idea that shares a lot with LET IT DIE./Souls But with various changes, "different " multiplayer. The setting would be like biblical times/dark phantasy you got to climb thru ruins, temples filled with degenerate enemies and traps to the top of the babel tower, Souls combat with gore. Magic. Lots of bosses 40 hour story.
It will have a weapon/armor/item crafting system like no one seen before. Hard game. Multiplayer you could team up to two players to help you and you will have a PVP coliseum. Another multi mode will be like a race to the top in wich 100 players have permadeath an a unique path that will crossroad with other player as you rise.

babilonia.jpg

babel.jpg

Last edited:
Dude Crimsom Skies was one of my favorite OG Xbox Games. I almost got to the top of the leaderboard in that game. My white whale's gamertag was "Moose of Woe" Never saw him in battle but he always had just a few wins more than me.

I played it sooo much. It was really the only game I've ever been really good at (well when I used to have much more time to play when I was younger). I was just outside the top 1000 on the leaderboard when I stopped. I liked a couple of different planes but the Doppelganger was my go-to. That cannon was just so nasty. I would give anything for a sequel. It wouldn't even need a AAA budget to be great.

Verdanth

B. sounds like Splinter Cell Chaos theory, but with ninjas and their skills. Chaos Theory co-op was really fun. I'd definitely buy that game. When you talk about Dragon Ball, you're saying it would be in that universe and not canon? Would you play as Goku?

Yes, you would play only as Goku. Since its a new original story, its what makes sense to me.

DB is missing a true story driven cinematic experience in gaming, that would make you remember those sweet childhood memories that everybody has. DB can be way more than a fighting game.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Marvel vs DC vs Capcom vs Snk vs NRS vs ARK, high res 2D animation developed by Capcom.

Love this! LOL. One fighting game to rule them all. 100 character roster! Balancing would be a complete nightmare but if they could pull it off it might be the best 2D fighter of all time.

Another multi mode will be like a race to the top in wich 100 players have permadeath an a unique path that will crossroad with other player as you rise.

This sounds amazing. Like a battle royale Dark Souls? Insane!

Last edited:

McCheese

Battle Royale

But like, actual battle royale.

VR game, you are dumped on an island with nothing but your bare hands. You need to craft weapons, or physics-based traps using what you can find in the game world's dense forest. You can talk and shout and characters within proximity will be able to hear you. There is no hud, no mini-map. Just radio announcements of how many people are left.

As you won't be able to 'make' a gun, the combat will be brutal. Sure you can throw spears if you find something sharp enough to make one with, but most of the time you'll be having to shank people, strangle them or bludgeon them to death. As it's in VR, you'll always have the sensation that the guy you are about to smash in the head with a rock is a real person, seeing their arms trying to fight you off, hearing them yelling (probably that they slept with your mum...)

When you find a dead body, you'll see a ghost replay of them and their attacker showing you how they died.

The crafting will be entirely physics-based, so no 'combine A + B to get C' stuff, but you can, for example, find some spikes, attach them to some wood, put some rope on it etc. Basically 'home alone' style stuff but, probably with more spikes.

It'll be all against all, but there is nothing to stop folks from communicating with one another and forming teams etc. But again, if you betray them, the 'ghost replay' thing will alert other players that you can't be trusted.. unless of course you can get them to fall into someone elses trap.

I would think the game would make a great spectator e-sport, as it'll bring out the best and worst of people.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Love this! LOL. One fighting game to rule them all. 100 character roster! Balancing would be a complete nightmare but if they could pull it off it might be the best 2D fighter of all time.

I think that roster would get well up over a hundred lol, MvC2 alone had 56.

A Final Fantasy style RPG, but with Fire Emblem style grid battles. Random battles would have small grids, not unlike the old AD&D Gold Box games.

Kadayi

Banned
I like this idea! Would there be an inevitability where maybe your interests as an explorer would lead you into some type of conflict with other players? Not necessarily combat, but lets say like vying for contracts...so it becomes like a buyers market where you're trying to offer best price for your services and some other player sees the contract on the table and agrees to do it for less? Just an example but I could see this being like an entrepreneurship simulation and it seems really interesting.

Glad you like it. The real problem would be trying to balance the dedicated against the casual. I could imagine you'd end up with super dedicated players (especially organised clans) just gaming the systems and potentially fucking things up for other players (one always has to have an eye on griefers). Ultimately at the end of the day, you want people to have a fun but challenging experience, and although players generally naturally arise to adversity (it is our nature) some peoples idea of fun is just ruining everyone else's. I think that there would be ways and means to get around that but it was a concern.

Certainly, I can look at games like NMS and Astroneer now and see echoes of what I was thinking about, but this game would be a bit more rigorous than that In terms of when your capital exploration ship is out in deep space, you're really on your own with finite resources. to carry out your objectives, and it would be entirely possible for you to suffer catastrophic mission failure, either individually or collectively. It wouldn't necessarily be a rogue-like wherein you'd lose everything (think clones as backup), but it could well be the case that you could lose player experience, mission rewards and perhaps, more importantly, standing with the various corporations who might hire you. Fail too many missions and the most work you're going to be offered is scrubbing the space station toilets.

I was thinking that there could be some RPG elements to it also, so you might work with certain NPCs like captains, pilots etc when there weren't players online to fill in the roles, and that add some glue to things.

Certainly, there would be scope for player rivalries. I would imagine a universal hub being a principal space station, so you'd have the chance to engage with other parties friendly or otherwise in between contracts. As your reputation and status increase, you could get access to larger apartments with it etc

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
TP Action Viking game based off the history channel show. The show looks like a smooth transition into gaming, has one of the better main characters in Ivar the Boneless and could offer more than enough for an enjoyable 12-24 hour game.

Moneal

Omega Protocol. Sequal to Alpha Protocol without the jank. character interactions were so great in that game. also a severely under utilized setting for games.

Solo Act

Off the top of my head I'd like to fund development of an enormous Mass Effect game which merges the entire trilogy, taking the best parts of all 3 games. I'd also like to smooth out some of the story and side quests that don't really make sense, add more plot lines which carry over, etc. I'd give the game graphics on par with the best EA can do in 2019. Yeah, that's my "blank check" game.

Kadayi

Banned
Off the top of my head I'd like to fund development of an enormous Mass Effect game which merges the entire trilogy, taking the best parts of all 3 games. I'd also like to smooth out some of the story and side quests that don't really make sense, add more plot lines which carry over, etc. I'd give the game graphics on par with the best EA can do in 2019. Yeah, that's my "blank check" game.

I hear you, but if you've ever watched Raycevicks indepth series about the Trilogy you'll begin to realise just how monumental a task that would be as each game despite the similarity of setting is very distinct in terms of mechanics and gameplay. Don't get me wrong, there's a lot to like about the series, but there's also a lot to dislike. In many ways given advances in technology and the power of the consoles a much better move would be to re-imagine the series afresh rather than try and remaster it. Personally, I do hope Bioware does that one day.

Last edited:

molasar

Banned
Setting (time, place): the best aspects taken and combined from Aliens 1986, Alien 3 1992 films, AvP 1994 Jaguar, Alien Trilogy 1996 games and some comic books
Genre: open world FPS Survival Tactical Horror (a combination of 2D sprites: enemies, objects, items and 3D graphics environments)
Single Player
Who or what do you play as?: colonial marine
What is the gameplay loop?: similar to AvP 1994 Jaguar
Story?: happening at the same time of Aliens film but in alternative reality, not related to it with comic book style partially animated cut scenes
Setting (time, place): the best aspects taken and combined from Aliens 1986 film
Genre: top down, 2D drawn sprite based twin stick shooter (ref. Alien Breed franchise)
Single Player and co-op
Who or what do you play as?: colonial marine, APC, Dropship, Power Loader
What is the gameplay loop?: similar to Alien Breed games
Story?: happening at the same time of Aliens film but in alternative reality, not related to it with comic book style partially animated cut scenes
Setting (time, place): based on Conan the Barbarian 1982 and Conan the Destroyer 1984 films
Genre: 2D drawn sprite based beat'em up/brawler
Single Player and co-op
Who or what do you play as?: Conan, Valeria, Subotai, Zula, Death Dealer as unlockable bonus
What is the gameplay loop?: similar to Golden Axe 3
Story?: shown through comic book style partially animated cut scenes
Setting (time, place): based on Lone Wolf and Cub manga and films
Genre: 2D drawn sprite based beat'em up/brawler
Single Player and co-op
Who or what do you play as?: Ogami Itto and Togo Shigetada
What is the gameplay loop?: similar to Golden Axe 3
Setting (time, place): based on Bloodsport 1988, Lionheart 1990, Best of the best 1-2 films
Genre: 2D digitzed actors sprite based fighting game
Single Player and vs
Who or what do you play as?: film characters and new ones
What is the gameplay loop?: a mix of first three MK and SFA games.
Story?: tournament
Setting (time, place): based on first three Rambo films
Genre: top down, 2D drawn sprite based twin stick tactical shooter with elements of Metal Gear games
Single Player
Who or what do you play as?: John Rambo with ability to operate vehicles (helicopters included)
What is the gameplay loop?: similar to 2D Metal Gear games but more action oriented
Setting (time, place): based on Terminator franchise
Genre: open world, top down, 2D drawn sprite based twin stick tactical shooter
Single Player and co-op
Who or what do you play as?: Terminator, resistance soldiers with ability to operate vehicles (helicopters included)
What is the gameplay loop?: similar to 2D Metal Gear games but more action oriented

Last edited:
I would make a Halo horror style game where you play as an ODST and face the flood for the first time after they escape that CE installation. Or even could be before.

Id make it very dark, gritty with a "dead space" type vibe.

The license and universe is just too good to keep just making the same game over and over.

molasar

Banned
Setting (time, place): based on Airwolf tv show
Genre: open world, isometric twin stick tactical shooter in a style of Desert/Jungle/Urban Strike series
Single Player
Who or what do you play as?: Stringfellow Hawke, Airwolf helicopter, Blue Thunder helicopter as unlockable bonus
What is the gameplay loop?: similar to Strike series but more action oriented

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Not necessarily a game per se, but I would love to see say Rockstar open up San Andreas for instance to other developers so that they could utilise it and adapt it. It just seems kind of criminal that so much time and energy goes into making a lot of these open-world environments, only for them to be used just the once. I think it would be really interesting to see what Obsidian or Fullbright could do with those gameworlds.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Setting (time, place): based on Bloodsport 1988 film
Genre: 2D digitzed actors sprite based fighting game
Single Player and vs
Who or what do you play as?: film characters and new ones
What is the gameplay loop?: a mix of first three MK and SFA games.
Story?: tournament

I'm taking hold of everyyy Momennttt (everyyy momeeeent)....somethin; somethin' Breath of life (Breath of life)...I'm gonna stake my claim....I FIGHT TO SURVIIIIIIVVVVE

KUMITE, KUMITE, KUMITE, KUMITE!!!!

Any game with based on Van Damme and Bolo Yeung would be awesome....cept the Street Fighter: The Movie game...that was trash salad.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Setting (time, place): based on Airwolf tv show
Genre: open world, isometric twin stick tactical shooter in a style of Desert/Jungle/Urban Strike series
Single Player
Who or what do you play as?: Stringfellow Hawke
What is the gameplay loop?: similar to Strike series but more action oriented

Dude you have a crap ton of ideas...I don't even know where to start.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Ff6 remake - 2 d graphics still, add some additional content that really didn't get explained in the first version

Chrono trigger sequel - so many ways to go!

Demon souls remaster - 6th archstone!

Essentially it looks like I just steal other people's good ideas haha

It's a stealth game in which you play lady streaker that has to go from point A to point B bare ass nekkid without being arrested, molested, or photographed. Before hand, you can travel around move things around in the level in order to prepare your route, where to stash your clothes, how to distract the people in your way - hide cell phones, push furniture in front of security cameras, send security guards off on breaks - then you drop kit and run, naked as a jailbird and as the good lord intended. You get more points the closer you get to getting caught without getting caught. Cross the finish line with an accelerated heart beat and rock hard nipples for maximum score.

Tell me about moonstone. All I know is it was an old game in medieval times on PC. I never played it, what was so great about this game

I played it in Amiga, not actually sure if it was on PC without looking. It was like a series of boss battles of all different types with some very light RPG elements. I guess a modern take could be similar to a Dark Souls game. Perhaps with a persistent world and online multiplayer too.

Try it out with Amiga emulation, its a good game!

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Shadowrun or Earthdawn or Renegade Legion RPG game by InXile or Obsidian with the same budget as the upcoming Playground Games RPG.

GreenAlien

RPG/Action-Adventure based on Malazan Book of the Fallen.

I have no idea how to make it good, but with a "blank check" I will just hire people that do..

TacosNSalsa

This game right here. Remember reading about YEARS ago and found it very interesting . Always loved stories of alternate realities , going down into the depths of (whatever) , shifting realities whatever you want call it . Never came to fruition though..
kXrYqT7.png

Moneal

Oh another one. Not my idea, read it here couple years ago. Persona style Harry Potter RPG.

Last edited:

I've always loved the idea of running a multi-crew capital ship, with a commander, pilot, gunners, sensor operator who sees a tactical plot the commander doesn't, engineer in a separate section of the ship juggling bullshit to make the ship perform at max, etc. The problem is that Sea of Thieves taught me that just getting 3 others to cooperate is a fucking nightmare if they aren't actual friends. Imagine if you threw all that into a fleet action with carriers that have 2 dozen stunt fighters and double-crew bombers.

It would require instances with potentially a thousand players, I don't think civilian internet structure could handle that for years, even if you could get that many people to actually play intead of troll.

Kadayi

Banned
I've always loved the idea of running a multi-crew capital ship, with a commander, pilot, gunners, sensor operator who sees a tactical plot the commander doesn't, engineer in a separate section of the ship juggling bullshit to make the ship perform at max, etc. The problem is that Sea of Thieves taught me that just getting 3 others to cooperate is a fucking nightmare if they aren't actual friends. Imagine if you threw all that into a fleet action with carriers that have 2 dozen stunt fighters and double-crew bombers.

It would require instances with potentially a thousand players, I don't think civilian internet structure could handle that for years, even if you could get that many people to actually play intead of troll.

I don't disagree. I wasn't necessarily thinking that players would be entirely beholden to other players to help them at every step of the way, but more that some jolly co-operation with those in your instance and online together at the same time would make the work easier versus using NPCs or doing everything themselves. If you imagine that you might have a central lobby on your exploration ship, and it details the various operations required and underway and the current stage they are in (as well as ground locations for instance), coupled with probable bonuses and incentives. Also there might be dynamic missions that come up as a result of emergencies etc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom