• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"This place is full of sluts." British lawmaker (UKIP) makes with the crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Makes GOP look soft on women.

A controversial British lawmaker who joked that his own party’s female activists were “sluts” at a “women in politics” event has resigned.

Godfrey Bloom, a member of the European Parliament, used the word last week after being challenged over his 2004 claim that a woman’s place is cleaning behind the fridge.

The United Kingdom Independence Party politician told a fringe event at the party's annual conference last week: “This place is full of sluts.”

When confronted by reporters afterward, Bloom said it had been a joke and that some of those present, including women, had laughed at the remark.

Bloom later tweeted that he had been "purposely outrageous."

But UKIP, whose policies are geared towards removing Britain from the European Union, subsequently suspended him from formal involvement in party business. He resigned on Tuesday.

"I have felt for some time now that the ‘New UKIP’ is not really right for me anymore," Bloom said in a statement. "May I take this opportunity to express my sincere thanks to the thousands of people who have supported me with messages of good will in the recent months and particularly in recent days."

He will now sit as an independent MEP for the remaining 18 months of his five-year term. Bloom, 63, did not say whether he plans to contest his seat in future.

UKIP leader Nigel Farage told the BBC on Tuesday that he did not want to see his colleague "hounded out of the party."

He added: "All the things Godfrey has said have not been meant in malice but they have all been tremendous distractions from the main messages UKIP is trying to push out."

Farage last week insisted that Bloom was "not an extremist ... he's not anti-women."

On an anti-mass immigration platform, UKIP has increased its support to around 10 percent, according to pollsters YouGov. It took just three percent of the vote in the last national election in 2010.

However, UKIP secured nearly one in four of the votes cast at elections for local government jobs in May.

British Prime Minister David Cameron once described UKIP as being full of "fruitcakes, loonies and closet racists" but the party is now trying to portray itself as more mainstream.
Last month, Bloom also sparked controversy when he said foreign aid was being sent to “bongo bongo land.”

Oh, politicians. Don't go off script. I looked up his wiki page and I found these. And remember I'm sourcing wikipedia for these.

According to the Daily Telegraph he was the first man to be ejected since John Wilkes in the late-18th century. In a letter to UKIP, Turner wrote that "Mr Bloom will not be receiving any further invitations to Mansion House events nor will be welcome at the Brussels Annual reception [...] As to future Mansion House events we will be seeking a different MEP from UKIP as a potential guest."

A few weeks after being appointed to the European Parliament's Committee on Women's Rights and Gender Equality on 20 July 2004, Bloom told an interviewer that, "no self-respecting small businessman with a brain in the right place would ever employ a lady of child-bearing age."

Around the same time, he said that "I just don't think [women] clean behind the fridge enough" and that "I am here to represent Yorkshire women who always have dinner on the table when you get home."[20][22] Bloom told BBC Radio 4's Today that his comments were "said for fun" to illustrate a more serious point, that equal-rights legislation was, he claimed, putting women out of work.

Bloom confessed that had visited brothels in Hong Kong. He claimed he never consummated the visits, and also claimed "terrified young women beaten into prostitution often from Eastern Europe [...] is only a very small aspect of the flesh trade", and concluded that "in short, most girls do it because they want to."

After inviting students from the University of Cambridge Women's Rugby Club to Brussels in 2004, he was accused of sexual assault, making "sexist and misogynistic remarks" and using offensive language during a dinner party. One student handed a formal letter of protest to the President of the European Parliament, heavily criticising Bloom's behaviour. Bloom who sponsored the club with £3,000 a year, admitted making misogynist comments but denied sexual harassment.

He argued against quotas for women in boardrooms, claimed that feminism was a "passing fashion" created by "shrill, bored, middle-class women of a certain physical genre" and that any men who supported feminism were "the slightly effete politically correct chaps who get sand kicked in their face on the beach." He said that women were better at "[finding] the mustard in the pantry" than driving a car

He said in 2009: "As far as I am concerned man-made global warming is nothing more than a hypothesis that hasn't got any basis in fact. Every day more scientists are modifying their initial views".

In December 2008, Bloom was carried out by an intern after making a speech in the European Parliament while drunk,[32] the second occasion on which he was accused of being drunk in the chamber. During the speech, Bloom denied that MEPs from Poland, the Czech Republic or Latvia have the ability to understand economic relations.

On 24 November 2010, Bloom was ejected from the European Parliament after directing a Nazi slogan at German MEP Martin Schulz who was speaking in a debate on the economic crisis in Ireland. Bloom interrupted Schulz and shouted "Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Führer" at him.

At the height of the 2009 parliamentary expenses scandal, Bloom complained about the lack of manners of the political class. On his website, he pointed out that, unlike many others, he would not employ family members in his parliamentary staff. Bloom later conceded that three members of his staff were also employed part-time at TBO, the company in which he is a major shareholder, and one of these is his wife's niece.

In an interview in August 2013, Bloom described Prime Minister David Cameron as "pigeon-chested; the sort of chap I used to beat up."

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
He has to realize that he can't outdo the greatest troll of all time

12XxN1c.jpg

Good on him for trying though, gave me a good laugh.

Kabouter

UKIP leader Nigel Farage told the BBC on Tuesday that he did not want to see his colleague "hounded out of the party."

He added: "All the things Godfrey has said have not been meant in malice but they have all been tremendous distractions from the main messages UKIP is trying to push out."

Farage last week insisted that Bloom was "not an extremist ... he's not anti-women."
Farage seems to really be doing his best to ensure his party is rightly seen as exactly what David Cameron described them as.

Orbis

The guy is clearly a bigot, but I found the whole thing rather amusing. Especially after the whole 'bongo bongo land' story. And holy shit at that Nazi comment in the European Parliament; had no idea about that.

Jezbollah

Who elects this guy? is Britain divided up into districts like the US or is it a national vote?

We have members of Parliament, each representing a constituency. So yes.

I'd rather see a full on Thunderdome fight to the death between the party leaders though.

Kabouter

UKIP is the racist party, right? Do they draw the line at sexism or something? Sort of surprising.

UKIP is one of two such parties, but unlike the BNP, is more acceptable to be a supporter of. Other than that, there is no real difference.

If I were in politics, I'd be a troll too.
At some point, you gotta laugh.

It's funny when it's innocuous joking, or used in regards to non-serious issues. When it's appropriate to joke is not well defined, but that doesn't mean you toe the line. it's pretty clear this wasn't completely okay, even if it was sarcasm or meant as a joke.

Being really funny is not worth the risk of hurting people or screwing yourself over, especially when you're in a government position.

daviyoung

Banned
If that woman slagging off (whoops) those that aren't in UK grammar schools is his PR or comms officer then UKIP will be a fun party to watch in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom