• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thinking about getting first wheel for GT - advice needed?

cormack12

Gold Member
Been looking at getting a wheel and pedal setup. T300 and 28 GT with T-lcm pedals.

I've been looking at the TH8A shifter as well. Buuuuuut, not sure I'd need it. I like the idea of having that fine control but how does it work in games like GT? If I use paddles, does the car downshift automatically under braking and let me nudge up or stay in 2nd for power in the corners, or do I manually move up and down? Are paddles always sequential or can you skip up two gears?

Are the H shifters compatible with cars that only have paddles in game? Enlighten me gaf.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Does it work with PS5, Xbox and PC?
G29 is for PS5, PS4, PS3 and PC
G920 for Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One and PC

What's your budget?

You can go this route,

Or this route,

Or even the new Logitech DD is nice,

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
What's your budget?

You can go this route,

Or this route,

Or even the new Logitech DD is nice,
Budget is about 600.

The pedal look nice with the thrustmaster. Loaded cell or whatever its called. I thought the g923 was multi platform but appears not. Its mainly for gt7 so needs to be ps5 but would like it to work with everything

J3nga

If you mainly plan to drive road cars or/and GT cars, you don't need shifter, it's more for drifters and rally.
I also built my first sim rig a month ago(just in a higher budget range) for GT but ended up playing ACC and not really wanting to go back to GT7. you could get this bundle within your budget https://fanatec.com/eu-en/ready2race/csl-dd-ready2race-bundle-for-pc-8-nm but I'd highly recommend adding load cell pedal. Logitech G29/920/923 are basically refreshed G27 which is damn old stuff which uses gears, it's just miles behind DD, you'll outgrow it pretty quickly and end up selling it on your local market in a few months.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Budget is about 600.

The pedal look nice with the thrustmaster. Loaded cell or whatever its called. I thought the g923 was multi platform but appears not. Its mainly for gt7 so needs to be ps5 but would like it to work with everything
Going to be tough to find one that will work on all 3, that is mainly due to MS/Sony having their own licensed lockout chips.

This is fantastic kit you would swap to an Xbox compatible wheel, it gets pricier afterwards, but still cheaper that two whole separate kits.

If you mainly plan to drive road cars or/and GT cars, you don't need shifter, it's more for drifters and rally.
I also built my first sim rig a month ago(just in a higher budget range) for GT but ended up playing ACC and not really wanting to go back to GT7. you could get this bundle within your budget https://fanatec.com/eu-en/ready2race/csl-dd-ready2race-bundle-for-pc-8-nm but I'd highly recommend adding load cell pedal. Logitech G29/920/923 are basically refreshed G27 which is damn old stuff which uses gears, it's just miles behind DD, you'll outgrow it pretty quickly and end up selling it on your local market in a few months.
This is a good starting kit as well in which you can upgrade the wheels as you see fit.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member

Is that compatible with all platforms? But swap the pedals for

CSL Pedals LC
The CSL Pedals LC is a bundle of the CSL Pedals and CSL Pedals Load Cell Kit.

J3nga

Is that compatible with all platforms? But swap the pedals for

CSL Pedals LC
The CSL Pedals LC is a bundle of the CSL Pedals and CSL Pedals Load Cell Kit.
There are converters which emulate logitech wheels. It's also important to think about cockpit, and I would probably build my system around it. Are you planning to attach it to your regular table using clamp? Also not having where to solidly attach load cell pedals is no bueno.
Here's my rig:
poIj8wK.jpg

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
There are converters which emulate logitech wheels. It's also important to think about cockpit, and I would probably build my system around it. Are you planning to attach it to your regular table using clamp?

Yeah, I'm kind of just starting out so want the essentials, and can upgrade an element or two at christmas. I'm limited for space too so will deffo be on desk clamp to start. Surface and table is decent.

Sleepwalker

Logitech g29 or thrustmaster t150, both are the cheapest models with force feedback, don't bother with anything that doesn't have it. Don't sink thousands before knowing you're sticking with it.

Good luck.

J3nga

Yeah, I'm kind of just starting out so want the essentials, and can upgrade an element or two at christmas. I'm limited for space too so will deffo be on desk clamp to start. Surface and table is decent.
Then I guess you could go with T300 + TCLM pedals. If you'll like it, you'll have to spend quite a bit anyway, it's an expensive hobby. Getting a taste of what's it like should be enough.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Some support all 3, but most of them only one of the consoles. In my opinion real simracing is on PC.
Like if you look at the models.

It's either PC/Xbox or PS/PC and Xbox Ready via an Xbox licensed wheel.

Last edited:

J3nga

Like if you look at the models.

It's either PC/Xbox or PS/PC and Xbox Ready via an Xbox licensed wheel.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Correct. That's the Xbox wheel, you will need the PlayStation licensed wheel to work with the base. So while select bases work for both, the licensing tech is in each respected wheel.

Last edited:

J3nga

it has PS ready badge meaning it should work with PS:
  • The functionality of this product on Xbox One or PS4/PS5 can be limited by the capabilities of the console (subject to firmware/OS changes and developer support). The full functionality can only be guaranteed on PC; this is also game-dependent.
So if you get this wheel or McLaren GT3 and get CSL DD GT PRO then it'll work out-of-the-box across all the platforms.

Last edited:

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
There are converters which emulate logitech wheels. It's also important to think about cockpit, and I would probably build my system around it. Are you planning to attach it to your regular table using clamp? Also not having where to solidly attach load cell pedals is no bueno.
Here's my rig:
poIj8wK.jpg

I might get such a setup for Forza, GT and WRC but I dont want to buy two wheels.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
it has PS ready badge meaning it should work with PS:

So if you get this wheel or McLaren GT3 and get CSL DD GT PRO then it'll work out-of-the-box across all the platforms.
I see what you're saying now. They sure don't make it easy, and one firmware update can screw that all up.

Last edited:
That's true. So far now only that does them all 3 is CSL DD GT Pro 8nm but it's 600 for the base alone. That's across all brands, not just fanatec. There are strong Chinese brands like Moza or Simagic, but they're PC only.
Moza has an Xbox wheel (but not PS.)

Correct. That's the Xbox wheel, you will need the PlayStation licensed wheel to work with the base. So while select bases work for both, the licensing tech is in each respected wheel.
That is incorrect. In the DD Pro, the Playstation chip is in the wheelbase, and the Xbox chip is in the wheel. If you have an Xbox compatible wheel, it works on both systems without switching anything around.

Also, someone recommended the DD earlier in the thread, and that can never become native for Playstation.

One more edit: You can get adapters or converters, but it's never as good as having native, especially in the long run.

Last edited:

J3nga

That is incorrect. In the DD Pro, the Playstation chip is in the wheelbase, and the Xbox chip is in the wheel. If you have an Xbox compatible wheel, it works on both systems without switching anything around.

Also, someone recommended the DD earlier in the thread, and that can never become native for Playstation.

One more edit: You can get adapters or converters, but it's never as good as having native, especially in the long run.
Yep, converters weaken FF so I'd avoid those.

Top Bottom