• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thinking about getting a VGA heatsink.. suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diablos

I was thinking about the Zalman one. Check it out:

zm80a.jpg

:D It's a beast.

Diablos

This 9800 Pro gets so friggin' hot, it's ridiculous. I don't even have it OC'd. Is there a fan that cools really well that's smaller than the Zalman one?

Bregor

I have the Sapphire 9800 Pro Ultimate in my PC. Basically, it is the Sapphire 9800 Pro with that Zalman heatsink already installed. It does a great job. Just keep in mind that:

1. You will need good space around the AGP slot for it to fit.
2. You will not be able to overclock your videocard much with a totally passive solution (I don't have mine overclocked at all).
3. If you install the HS yourself, do it carefully.

Diablos

Why do it carefully? I mean, of course you should... but what makes it so dangerous?

How did you go about removing the original heatsink and fan?

I use this one

http://www.arctic-cooling.com/en/products/vga_silencer/

How did you go about removing the original heatsink and fan?

wasnt hard u unscrew the fan (i think) then use needle nosed pliars on the opposite site to unmount the expanders (aka pinch em closed then push em through), and the heatsink just came off (mind was used with thermal paste, if you have one with a pad you have to have the card "warmed up" so the pad will pull off easier).

I dont even oc mine at all but this xp 3000 runs hot as shit (like 44 c under max load, 38 idle) so I slapped a volcano 12 on it, and got a better exhaust type hsf for the oven er 9800 pro (since I dont think my case gets great airflow, seeing as how its at like 38C in summer, and then 33C with side panel off in summer)

Bregor

I've heard good things about the VGA silencer also.

Which to pick depends on how important a totally passive solution is to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom