• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Xbox Games Showcase revealed big promise and insane Gamepass value for XSX. A tepid reveal of Halo's visuals is making this forum overlook that.

VAL0R

Banned
MS made Halo Infinite the tentpole of their game showcase and that proved to be a blunder. Yes, the Halo Infinite reveal sorely disappointed many of us, myself included. 343 overpromised with the Slipspace Engine and E3 trailer and fell woefully short of the visuals we all reasonably expect from the XSX. HI is said to have suffered in a dev Hell that included critical staff departures, a late story rewrite after a negative fan reaction to Halo 5's Locke narrative, and en entire engine overhaul. The fact that fans must wait for a post-launch ray tracing patch, despite HI having an undoubtedly monstrous budget and a 5+ year dev cycle, is very revealing.

Now that we got that out of the way, here are my personal highlights of the reveal:

- Halo Infinite. Whaaat!? Yes. This game still has huge promise and the gameplay loop looked as fun as ever. I liked the open-world gameplay, the emphasis on exploration with Halo's awesome vehicles, Halo 3 style equipment options, the grapple shot allowing new tactics and traversal, and so on. And remember that we haven't seen the multiplayer or additional gameplay modes 343 has cooking. They will continue to work on this game and improve it after release, making it, essentially, a work-in-progress. However I do believe the launch offering will be fun and AAA in scope and features, even if not graphically. And make no mistake about it, 343 is going to slave away on visual improvements from now until launch and post-launch, after the stinging criticism they received. The next time we see it, it should look noticeably better (especially if the "months old build" story is true). At any rate, you can bet your last req pack that the gorilla face starring in all the hilarious memes will be upgraded, haha.

- The Forza Motorsport in-engine reveal looked stunning. Rumors swirl that the game is being reimagined in a big way and the lack of a sequel number for its reveal makes sense if true.

- Everwild is absolutely gorgeous:

- Undead Labs revealed State of Decay 3 is in the works. SoD 2 is my guilty pleasure and I've logged way too many hours into this zombie survival sim series.

- Obsidan revealed Avowed, a AAA first-person fantasy RPG ala Skyrim.

- Obsidian's family-friendly survival game Grounded looks really cute and I'm looking forward to hunting bugs and building bases with my six-year-old.

- PlayGround Games revealed they are rebooting Fable into a AAA fantasy RPG. This game should be quite the stunner given Playground's mastery of open-world environments seen in their Forza Horizon series.

The show revealed that Xbox is quickly becoming an RPG powerhouse with AAA RPGs in the works from Obsidian and Playground (InExile's exists too, but was not shown). It revealed the photorealistic return of our beloved and best-in-class racer in Forza Motorsport. It revealed Halo Infinite will have an ambitious open-world scope. It revealed current-gen games like Ori will enjoy huge upgrades (4K 120fps in Ori's case) on the XSX for FREE and a bunch of other great looking Game Pass content, including formerly elusive to Xbox Japanese additions.

What do Xbox fans have to look forward to?
- More first-party titles. MS didn't show anything from 6 of their 15 studios. There is a lot of content being made that was not revealed, Including AAA content from The Initiative and The Coalition.
- Content. When you consider all the games that have been revealed for the XSX at this early stage, it's got to be one of the most content-rich launches in history.
- Optimized for XSX current-gen games for no additional cost.
- Game Pass. The absolute glut of high-quality content heading to Game Pass for the XSX is insane. The entire showcase is all coming to Game Pass. The value there is just stupid good and gets better every month.
- The most powerful hardware. Yes XSX hardware remains the most powerful console hardware and will be the best console to play 3rd party games in their highest fidelity.

At the end of the day, the (largely unjustified outside of Halo) negativity from this presser will make MS more likely to be aggressive with their XSX pricing. They will want positive PR and huge sales to further develop the Xbox Game Pass ecosystem going into this next-gen and they will be willing to bleed for it. Relax fellow Xbots, our future looks very bright indeed and the Halo monkey meme might have just saved us $50.00 to boot!

I'm going to post this here so nobody else has to:
065.gif

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
its-true-all-of-it.jpg

Honestly, for a standalone titles, there wasn't many impressive titles, but as a whole GP package? I'll try them all, why not? Seriously, GP makes me question why would I want to give 60-70$ to EA, Ubi, Sony etc? When I can't even try the games before I buy them because they don't care about providing a demo...

Riven326

Banned
I think Gamepass could be the answer to why the quality of Microsoft's first party titles have dropped off a cliff in recent years. That and the fact Sony's first party devs are just getting better and better, it really is a bad look for the Xbox going forward. Is Gamepass worth it if quality has to be sacrificed? I would argue that it isn't, and that I'm more inclined to go with the PlayStation again this generation as a result.

Freeman

Banned
All those games I don't want a play for only $15 a month until they get released in 2023~2024.

I'll concern myself with how I'm going to get the games later. I got Sony games from this gen all the way from $0 to $60. So far I didn't regret buying a single one.

Last edited:
I think Gamepass could be the answer to why the quality of Microsoft's first party titles have dropped off a cliff in recent years. That and the fact Sony's first party devs are just getting better and better, it really is a bad look for the Xbox going forward. Is Gamepass worth it if quality has to be sacrificed? I would argue that it isn't, and that I'm more inclined to go with the PlayStation again this generation as a result.

I've wondered the same thing. But it could also just be that the games shown are simply too early in devlepment

decisions

You don’t want Gamepass to succeed. Its current state is a red herring.

What they want to do is transition all franchises to GaaS titles and dripfreed content that makes the $15 a month profitable per player, and then probably add another monetization practices on top of this stuff as well.

I’ll gladly pay $60 for meaningful experiences over subscribing to predatory games that don’t respect my time.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
But what about the people who like to buy and own their games like me? Are we just to be left to the waste side if we don't care about gamepass?

No one is taking away your right to purchase games but Microsoft is clearly banking on you wanting to be apart of their ecosystem of games weither they own them or not.

So if you don't see game pass as something intriguing then Microsoft isn't going to be for you.

But what about the people who like to buy and own their games like me? Are we just to be left to the waste side if we don't care about gamepass?
No, you can buy them outright. Not once have they locked a game behind game pass and not allowed you to buy it.

Best part is, any game listed in Gamepass gets a discount for an outright purchase.

To be against that is literally shooting yourself in the foot as a gamer and consumer.

diffusionx

Gold Member
GamePass has been around for years. It's great, but I didn't see anything on there that makes it an appreciably better thing than what we have had for years. We already have Halo and Forza Horizon on it, we have MCC, we got Gears 5 day one, we got Rare shit, we got that stupid Bleeding Edge game nobody cares about. Yea, more of that, great, why am I spending $500 on a console today so maybe Avowed is good whenever it comes out? The only game we know is coming out at launch is Halo, which many were not impressed with.

What I don't like is the narrative of tepid games and the excuse is they only cost a dollar to play so no problem. What kind of message does that send going forward? I have seen it a few times this generation already.

DeaDPo0L84

I'm simply not a fan of the gamepass model or most 1st party games being a platform. I feel like it's an excuse to not take risk or innovate or create true sequels.

BUT I know gamepass in general is a great value and really fits the needs of some gamers.

Last edited:

Freeman

Banned
This was an E3 show. People spooge all over themselves when Sony shows an 8 second tease of a game at E3 that's four years away and would show up ant the next four E3s. But when MS does the same thing it's bad.
When did Sony do that? Sure, SSM could just release a black screen with the text God of War 2 and I would be more hyped than anything MS showed, but no, they do much better, go look at how they revealed God of War and then delivered on it.

We are all here acting like Fable is the shit, ain't nobody ever cared about Fable. It isn't some big shot franchise. It's an attempt to revive a dead RPG franchise from a studio that specialized in making open world racing games.

Last edited:

dorkimoe

This was an E3 show. People spooge all over themselves when Sony shows an 8 second tease of a game at E3 that's four years away and would show up ant the next four E3s. But when MS does the same thing it's bad.
You arent wrong. People still trying to say sony showed all gameplay. Horizon was not gameplay thats a video. The other game they had was just a spider man expansion.

Riven326

Banned
What I don't like is the narrative of tepid games and the excuse is they only cost a dollar to play so no problem. What kind of message does that send going forward? I have seen it a few times this generation already.
Oh, I agree 100%. It's always used as an excuse for lackluster Xbox games. Well, its on Gamepass. Happens every time.

Freeman

Banned
God of Wars, Ghost of Tsushima, Uncharted, Last of Us 2. Take your pick.
Oh... what a terrible track record. If only they had deliverer with those games that had a normal reveal release cycle.

Uncharted 4 was teased in late 2013 and released in 2016. We also got a great stand alone game in 2017. GoTY.

God of War was revealed in 2016 and released in 2018. GoTY.

TLoU2 was revealed in 2016 and released in 2020, likely GoTY.

GoT was revealed in 2017 and released in 2020, looks like it's doing fine.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Read my post again. I was referring to the type of game that Gamepass will cultivate in the future. There is a difference between what Gamepass brings right now and what it will bring in the long-term.

GamePass is the single greatest game discovery tool ever created. I'm playing Endless Space 2 on the PC right now and completely addicted to it and I found it because of GamePass. If the game ever leaves the service, I'll buy it immediately with the 20% discount.

VAL0R

Banned
Read my post again. There is a difference between what Gamepass brings right now and what it will bring in the long-term.
Yeah, I don't buy into your gloomy conspiracy theory. If the Game Pass value erodes away and MS becomes abusive to consumers, consumers will abandon it with their pocketbooks and flock to the next best value proposition for their hard-earned dollars. That's capitalism baby! We are just hanging on month-to-month, we didn't put a ring on it. We are free to go elsewhere. MS knows this. That's why Netflix can't charge you $30.00/month for streaming, despite their massive popularity. The value proposition must remain high or the service will crumble.

Last edited:

BRZBlue

The fact that games are on gamepass isn't a selling point for an Xbox if I have a PC. MS will certainly get money, but then they'd also get money if they just dropped the pretense and stopped making consoles, and focused on the software side and developing for other platforms.

It seems odd to me that people are championing GamePass, when it can exist perfectly fine without the need for a console all-together. It effectively makes the argument that Microsoft as a whole doesn't really need a console in the first place, and should just bring the service to other platforms along with their 1st party games and make money that way.

Last edited:

GODbody

Yeah Halo definitely fell flat and looked lackluster but I don't think many are considering that most to all of these games were and will be running at 4k 60FPS.

Is it really too early? Infinite has been in development for five years, I think. It should be very polished at this point. Crackdown 3 was delayed several times for polish and, well... I don't have to go down that road again.
Talking about the other games, Hellblade 2, Everwild, SoD3, Forza, Fable, The Initiatives game, Obsidians game.

REE Machine

Banned
Not even that but talent wins every damn time, sony just has better talented game developers, artists etc that seem to push one another across their game companies and you can read it when game launch within their gaming network. It seems what lacks MS is drive and passion

ManaByte

Gold Member
Not even that but talent wins every damn time, sony just has better talented game developers, artists etc that seem to push one another across their game companies and you can read it when game launch within their gaming network. It seems what lacks MS is drive and passion

"lazy devs"

turtlepowa

Banned
Where are the physical editions to DQ 11, Neir Automata, Kingdom Hearts Collection, Yakuza 0, Yakuza Kiwami, Kiwami2

You missed my point. MS seems to spend more time hyping up Gamepass than anything else, which means diddly to those not interested in gamepass.
Those games came so late to Xbox, i guess it would have been a waste of money to sell them on discs. But i'm sure all day1 Game Pass games will be released on disc.

dorkimoe

Now that I think about it. Everyone shit there pants over what Sony showed...
Spiderman...probably doesnt look any better than the ps4 version no gameplay
Ratchet- again, an art style that doesnt ever really look bad, cartoon and the same as the ps4 version
horizon- not gameplay

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
We know Game Pass is good value.

The problem is that Forza, State of Decay 3, Everwild and Avowed all specifically said "XSX and PC", which means that currently, none of those games have a solid release window in the next 2 years.

On top of that, the games they showed that said "Launch Exclusive" like STALKER 2 simply mean that they will be a console exclusive when they launch, they do not mean that they're releasing with the XSX later in the year. It's why the Halo part was so important, so far it's one of the only things you know you'll be playing.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Now that I think about it. Everyone shit there pants over what Sony showed...
Spiderman...probably doesnt look any better than the ps4 version no gameplay
Ratchet- again, an art style that doesnt ever really look bad, cartoon and the same as the ps4 version
horizon- not gameplay

Spider-Man is basically a standalone expansion for the PS4 game being held from the PS4 to sell PS5s at launch.
Ratchet looked like Ratchet on PS4 with Raytracing added.
And yes, Horizon wasn't gameplay.

Iced Arcade

After re watching, Halo looked a lot better but still felt a bit flat and the pop ins where concerning (grass on the mountains). But it looked amazingly smooth for a 4k 60fps open world. (I don't want bs 30fps games next gen)

They rest of the show showed a lot of great games but could have shown more gameplay and gamepass is amazing, only people I see shitting on gamepass are people that shit on Xbox regardless.

Last edited:
Top Bottom