• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[The Verge] COD on gamepass

MDSLKTR

Microsoft has also had internal debates about whether to put new releases of Call of Duty into Game Pass. I understand this is a debate that has been ongoing internally for quite some time, with concerns from some that the revenue that Call of Duty typically generates for Activision Blizzard will be undermined by Game Pass.

I’m told that Microsoft has also considered increasing the price of Game Pass Ultimate again. These are only considerations, so a final decision could mean we still see a future Call of Duty release appear in most versions of Game Pass.

Also:
-Hellblade 2 being considered for PS5
-Core Xbox Game Studios are set for cutbacks next

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Biggest fumble of all time if they put it in game pass. Last years and every other cod should be on game pass however. Nee iterations should be released on all consoles for retail.

They will never make that money up on gamepass subscriptions.

Last edited:

Also:
-Hellblade 2 being considered for PS5
-Core Xbox Game Studios are set for cutbacks next
A) It will absolutely undercut sales of the game to put it into a service (Duh!)
B) I don't think many CoD players on Xbox use Game Pass. They probably buy every year's CoD release, some DLC for it, and maybe a game or two, and rinse & repeat each fall.

rk8U5LF.gif

-Core Xbox Game Studios are set for cutbacks next:
The initiative for sure.

Yep, Game Pass is finished.

You would think the xbox having shit sales would make a stronger case for it being on gamepass, the majority of sales would be on PS5 and PC still, and if it encourages people to buy an xbox and gamepass, they'll probably make the RRP back from all the predatory DLC that they won't have to give Sony commission on.

Wow, so the thing about COD in Game Pass that many of us were saying would be a dumb business decision for the past 12-18 months was right after all?

It's almost like you don't need an MBA or a tag saying "CEO" on your shirt to see the obvious pitfall of new COD in Game Pass Day 1 would represent 🤔

You would think the xbox having shit sales would make a stronger case for it being on gamepass, the majority of sales would be on PS5 and PC still, and if it encourages people to buy an xbox and gamepass, they'll probably make the RRP back from all the predatory DLC that they won't have to give Sony commission on.

This is the first year MS will have to pay out-of-pocket for COD marketing and SIE raised the bar in terms of what to expect from COD marketing.

Basically, that marketing cost would negate any amount of people buying an Xbox & Game Pass to play the game, eating into profit outlooks.

Last edited:
This is the main problem with gaming subscription services. These games are more expensive to produce than your typical movie or tv show. A service like Game Pass is a good idea in theory, but unless you have hundreds upon hundreds of millions of subscribers, you’re barely going to ever break even if you intend to publish all your ”AAA” blockbuster titles day one onto the service. It’s not sustainable.

I’m OK with paying for games on a per game basis. Nintendo and PlayStation have the right approach, they’re not really suffering.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I’ve never bought a CoD game but I’ve been interested in trying them. So, selfishly, I’d love if it was on game pass.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Why not just go out and buy one? Buy physical used at gamestop and return it within 7 days if you don't like it. You don't have to wait for it to come to GP.
The honest answer? I’m lazy and already have too much to play. I’ll get around to it someday, though.

clarky

Gold Member
That’s fine though and also why they should put past CoDs up to say 2 years (whatever is still being played) on GamePass to try out.

Day 1 is dumb as shit though.
Yup, COD would get lapped up on game pass day one.

COD's model is perfect for it if your a consumer. New game every 12 months and cast the old one aside. I'd stop buying it for sure.

As a business model though its dumb as fuck, which is exactly why MS will do it.

I'm quite confident the execs at Microsoft have officially taken over. There is no way in hell do I think Phil Spencer would have agreed to a sit down interview at Xbox's showcase next month if he knew all this shit would hit the fan. It's going to be the biggest interview in gaming history. Looking more forward to it than the actual showcase

Last edited:

Dacvak

I’m just playing devil’s advocate here:

If MS were still going all-in on the Game Pass model, wouldn’t it make sense to release at least one CoD day 1 on Game Pass? I’d think that would add a huge number of subscriptions from the average CoD gamer, who would possibly just continue paying for GP indefinitely.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I'm good up to summer 2026 with pc game pass ultimate thanks to the Xbox live trick but they won't get a dime from me anymore no matter if the price increase or not. Closing Tango was the last nail on the coffin

Thavash

This car crash doesn't end .
Its one stupid move after another.
This is one of the biggest corporate fumbles in history.
There will be YouTube videos about this whole saga in future.

DrFigs

I’m just playing devil’s advocate here:

If MS were still going all-in on the Game Pass model, wouldn’t it make sense to release at least one CoD day 1 on Game Pass? I’d think that would add a huge number of subscriptions from the average CoD gamer, who would possibly just continue paying for GP indefinitely.
It's weird because they already have a successful model where people bought the game for 70 dollars, then paid for online, and a season pass. they'd be making less money comparatively if they took out the "70 dollars" part. Thats why they also have to now consider raising the price of gamepass to compensate. It's just creating one problem to solve something that was working just fine before. Is it really the case that Activision was struggling to find an audience for Call of Duty? are there tons of people who heard of this call of duty thing, but were waiting for it to come to gamepass before giving it a chance?

Last edited:

Dacvak

It's weird because they already have a successful model where people bought the game for 70 dollars, then paid for online, and a season pass. they'd be making less money comparatively if they took out the "70 dollars" part. Thats why they also have to now consider raising the price of gamepass to compensate. It's just creating one problem to solve something that was working just fine before. Is it really the case that Activision was struggling to find an audience for Call of Duty? are there tons of people who heard of this call of duty thing, but were waiting for it to come to gamepass before giving it a chance?
But if the people who specifically sign up for Game Pass to play CoD end up keeping the service for at least 3-4 months, doesn’t that make up for potentially lost revenue? Plus, having it on Game Pass doesn’t eliminate the ability to buy the game outright.

It seems like the biggest risk in putting it on GP would be the people who only sign up for the service for a month or two and then stop. But also maybe that IS a huge risk, I honestly don’t know.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Biggest fumble of all time if they put it in game pass. Last years and every other cod should be on game pass however. Nee iterations should be released on all consoles for retail.

They will never make that money up on gamepass subscriptions.
Agreeded.

I am interested to see how they keep the players engage.. Especially if they are not “paying” (they are…for game pass…but that doesn’t cover much) players.

Last edited:

TheUsual

Gold Member
If Xbox is getting under the microscope of Microsoft leadership now, there is no way they'll put it on Gamepass without doing something drastic. And by drastic, I have no idea what that could be.
They spent all that money on AB, they want that cash flow asap.

DrFigs

But if the people who specifically sign up for Game Pass to play CoD end up keeping the service for at least 3-4 months, doesn’t that make up for potentially lost revenue? Plus, having it on Game Pass doesn’t eliminate the ability to buy the game outright.

It seems like the biggest risk in putting it on GP would be the people who only sign up for the service for a month or two and then stop. But also maybe that IS a huge risk, I honestly don’t know.
I see what you mean. Idk either; just trying to make educated gueses here. I think no, the increase in subscribers would not make up for it; that is, without a price increase. I believe that xbox live gold and xbox gamepass are the same price - that's why i said the only difference is that xbox is losing out on people paying for the price of the game. But at the same time, the price increase will also drive some people away. I also have an unstated premise which is that I don't think gamepass is profitable. Maybe xbox wants more people on there for mysterious reasons, but I just think the thing is already losing money and idk why they'd get rid of the massively successful model they already have.

edit:
:pie_thinking: I forgot that gamepass ultimate is more expensive and separate from gamepass console and gamepass core. it's hard to keep track as a non-gamepass user. so what i said here doesn't really 100% add up. but i still think why mess with a model that was working fine before?

Last edited:

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
I CBF reading so can anyone tell me where this RIP GamePass narrative is coming from? or is that just standard GAF minority circlejerk?

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft just rips the band-aid off and cancels Gamepass within the next year. Gamepass clearly doesn't make sense for their long term strategy now that they are no longer making smaller games. Everything seems to be on the table right now. Xbox brand is arguably at an all time low. Microsoft might as well do what they are gonna do and not delay the inevitable

baphomet

I CBF reading so can anyone tell me where this RIP GamePass narrative is coming from? or is that just standard GAF minority circlejerk?

They can't even keep customers at the current price.

At $20 a month you could buy the yearly COD and every first party MS game every year for less money.

bender

What time is it?
They can't even keep customers at the current price.

At $20 a month you could buy the yearly COD and every first party MS game every year for less money.

Maybe they could add new tier of Game Pass (GPU + COD or even a COD only flavor of GP) and throw in perks like super duper digital deluxe edition, free premium battle pass access, and some amount of digital currency to make it seem worthwhile to the COD faithful and then just game experience/currency required to unlock things to makeup for the perks.

Maybe they could add new tier of Game Pass (GPU + COD or even a COD only flavor of GP) and throw in perks like super duper digital deluxe edition, free premium battle pass access, and some amount of digital currency to make it seem worthwhile to the COD faithful and then just game experience/currency required to unlock things to makeup for the perks.
Microsoft signed court documents saying their would be parity with Playstation when it comes to COD. I don't believe they are allowed to give free perks to Xbox users and not Playstation users

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Microsoft signed court documents saying their would be parity with Playstation when it comes to COD. I don't believe they are allowed to give free perks to Xbox users and not Playstation users

I don't remember the clause so you might very well be correct but they'd still be paywalled and wouldn't be exclusive.

Top Bottom