• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The UFC 129 Thread of 55,000 people chanting "GSP! GSP!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

smurfx

get some go again
gsp really is the mayweather of mma. the only exception right now is that mayweather is obnoxious and made it easy for people to hate him. gsp's attitude is what is saving him right now from a huge tide of hate coming his way.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
smurfx said:
gsp really is the mayweather of mma. the only exception right now is that mayweather is obnoxious and made it easy for people to hate him. gsp's attitude is what is saving him right now from a huge tide of hate coming his way.

LOL at people still thinking the Money Mayweather persona is who he really is. Floyd does that to make people hate him. As evidenced by this post, there are people that fall hook, line and sinker. Nobody wants to pay for 12 rounds of two nice guys going at it, when one is clearly better than the other. Hence the reason the Money Mayweather persona was born.

Chesskid1

Banned
josealdovsmarkhominickhead-1.gif

Mayweather is 10x as active and in the course of a fight throws several times more power shots than GSP. Mayweather actively tries to finish his opponent but isn't reckless while GSP is completely tentative, I really don't think it's a good comparison. GSP is more of a Clottey than anything, the fact that he let Shields recover after the head kick seals it.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
So GSP won huh?
Eating crow right now.

Steven Seagal needs to teach GSP some kicks.

Blackface

Banned
will52 said:
Doesn't seem like GSP is too excited at the thought of fighting Silva. And rightfully so, he would get destroyed.

Only because of the size different. If a C level in fighter in Sonnen could beat Andersons ass for basically 5 rounds, a huge GSP would dominate him like a puppet. To bad he is outweighed, out reached and is shorter by 4 inches.

People can criticize GSP all they want, but the fact is he beats everyone he faces. Period. When he does lose, every few years, he avenges it and finish's the person. Every single time.

GSP isn't and never was a big time, knock you out with one punch striker. Just like Anderson is generally shit on the ground. Anderson only finish's fighters on the ground after getting lucky submissions (99.9 percent of the time). Most of the time he can't finish the person on the ground unless they make a major mistake, or he hurts them with strikes first. In terms of pure grappling, Anderson is not that good.

GSP really had two options. Go to the ground and fight shield, or strike with him. He picked striking.

Shields has been finished once, 11 years ago. He is a tough mother fucker. When you go after and jump on a guy with Jakes BJJ skills to early, he will catch you. Nobody wants to be on the ground with Jake. If Anderson went to the ground with him, he would choke him out. People need to stop acting like Jake is some bum that should have been finished in 30 seconds. Jake is a tough guy, who is hard to finish for anyone.

Blackface

Banned
BamYouHaveAids said:
Mayweather is 10x as active and in the course of a fight throws several times more power shots than GSP. Mayweather actively tries to finish his opponent but isn't reckless while GSP is completely tentative, I really don't think it's a good comparison. GSP is more of a Clottey than anything, the fact that he let Shields recover after the head kick seals it.

Mayweather never activly looks to finish fights, and in terms of high quality opponents, his resume is laughable. This is why he isn't and will never be ranked as a top boxer ever. Floyd is known for ducking top boxers until they are at the end of their prime. Boxing is also far less competitive then MMA is. You build your resume up by knocking out mechanics and electricians (literally). Most boxers will only have a handful of really tough fights in their career. Floyd ducks them. He has also been gifted multiple decisions in his career, including his win over Castillo. Now he is afraid to face Manny.

stats2.jpg

stats.jpg

No robbery in MMA history compares to that.

Blackface said:
Mayweather never activly looks to finish fights, and in terms of high quality opponents, his resume is laughable. This is why he isn't and will never be ranked as a top boxer ever. Floyd is known for ducking top boxers until they are at the end of their prime. Boxing is also far less competitive then MMA is. You build your resume up by knocking out mechanics and electricians (literally). Most boxers will only have a handful of really tough fights in their career. Floyd ducks them. He has also been gifted multiple decisions in his career, including his win over Castillo. Now he is afraid to face Manny.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x46/Trax416/stats2.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x46/Trax416/stats.jpg[IMG]

No robbery in MMA history compares to that.[/QUOTE]Mosley actually refused Mayweather first so I don't see how you say he actively looks to fight fighters at the end of their career, and he actually moved up to fight De la Hoya while Paquiao made him kill himself by choosing a weight he hasn't fought in for over a decade. I agree the first Castillo fight was a robbery but he destroyed him his next fight so what is your point? It isn't as if GSP has never lost a fight. I also value a win over Mosley coming off a win against the then #1 WW better than a win over Hardy.

Corrales, Castillo, Baldomir, Judah, Hatton, Mosley, Gatti, Marquez, and De La Hoya is a phenomenal record and easily comparable if not better than GSP's...

yacobod

Banned
GSP said:
“He closed my eyes. Standing up, I was expecting to beat him more with ease and then put him down later in the round, but I couldn’t deliver much like this. I’m sorry to the fans. I wanted to make a knockout or submission tonight.”

LOL

note to georges, you can't KO or sub someone when you're not trying to finish a fight.

EDIT:
and another thing that i fucking love is that it looks like the GAF collective did a 180 after the latest goddamn sleeping pill performance. dream and i have been preaching and the ppl are listening. where's boogie to tell us how dominant that performance was last night :/

Creamwolf

Neo Member
I love GSP and shields was clearly not even close to the level of a fighter as GSP is, but GSP could have finished that fight after he kicked Shields in the temple...

Ash_69

Gsp dominates his opponents without exciting the crowd and has a formula that works. As a fighter who trains to win, he doesn't need to risk changing it. We know that mentally, he might not be as tough as others and suffers to a greater degree when he gets hit.
The only Gsp fight that would excite me going forward/the only way to advance his career further would be to move up in weight. Whilst I would love to set him fight Silva, I have to admit it isn't real a fair fight as Anderson is MUCH bigger than Gsp. It would end up being a massive disappointment.

Is it just me or does GSP go a little soft at the first sign of adversity or pain? Wasn't impressed how him and his corner handled and acted during his whole eye thing.

DKehoe

Not a Jellyfish said:
No...Shields and Mayhem was an extreme close fight, GSP and Shields was not.
I mean when Shields was on the show Bully Beatdown. In the stand up portion Shields was unable to finish the untrained bully.

JimiNutz

Banned
I was really expecting GSPs stand up to look a LOT better against Shields.
Going into the fight I was expecting GSP to out strike Shields for 3 rounds, really beat him up, and then when Shields was tired, sweaty and beaten up, take him down and GnP to win by TKO in round 4 or 5.

I dunno if it's because Shields was much better standing up than GSP expected, but GSPs stand up looked average and not great.
I also agree with the two judges that gave Shields a couple rounds - I think he just about won the last two.
Would like to see a re-match.

Aldo vs Hominick was fucking amazing.
Another exciting performance from Aldo (except for his last round) and Hominick is one tough son of a...
Aldo has to be my favourite fighter at the moment, what a little beast. He's like when Anderson Silva was beasting a few years back :)

GSP will NOT go up to Middleweight either.
I think at best he’ll fight Silva at 180lbs (he hinted at this by saying ‘maybe there are other ways’ when discussing moving up to 185 to fight Anderson).

I’m hoping Conduit beats Kim Dong-hyun, and that he’ll then get his title shot against GSP next.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Epic Tales of Penis said:
Is it just me or does GSP go a little soft at the first sign of adversity or pain? Wasn't impressed how him and his corner handled and acted during his whole eye thing.
You're surprised that someone would panic would they can't see out of an eye (that isn't caused due to swelling)? Alan Belcher had a detached retina and he's been out since August and may only be fighting again in September.

GSP at least has a semi-excuse for such a plain fight but Shields didn't even attempt to do a single thing he was bragging about being able to do like take him down.

Boogie

GSP fight was shit.

Yep, I can admit it. First time that I have been genuinely bored by GSP. The eye injury can explain some of it, but he was fighting tentative and awkward even before that. Those winging overhand rights? I mean, it shows that you're throwing power shots trying to finish, but what happened to your varied striking game, Georges?

Anyway, outside of the ME, the event was INCREDIBLE. Obviously the Canadian fighters all got pops. Rory Macdonald started out with just a slight crowd reaction, but picked up enthusiasm throughout, and when he hit those slams? OHMYGAWD the place went insane!

Couture might have gotten the biggest reaction of the night. Everyone was on their feet for his retirement sendoff.

And my boy Hominick. Fought his heart out, did better than a lot thought he would do. And though he lost, that fifth round was a hell of a moral victory. Crowd was ridiculous for that whole round.

Great experience. If the main event had even been decent, it might have been the best UFC card ever.

yacobod said:
LOL

note to georges, you can't KO or sub someone when you're not trying to finish a fight.

Yeah, because endless winging overhand rights is evidence of trying your damnedest to go to decision.

yacobod said:
where's boogie to tell us how dominant that performance was last night :/

No, yacobod, because I live in reality, and can acknowledge crappy performances in the fighters of whom I am a fan.

shuri

Banned
IGotBillySoSpooked said:
Is Seagal actually highly respected in the martial arts world? What is the story behind his presence at these fights?
If I remember well, that he was one of the first white person to be allowed to open an aikido dojo in Japan. Its a pretty big deal I think. People kinda discard him for his movie career, but he was pretty big for a long time in the MA world before his movie career from what I've read.

We hear the same thing before and after every GSP victory. When he does eventually lose I'm sure they'll all just say they called it. At this point it doesn't feel like there is anything left to say against him until someone beats him. GSP isn't perfect at all, but every time someone gets into the ring with him, GSP sets the pace. No one ever ends up fighting him with their game, they fight with his and they can't get it done.

Boogie

shuri said:
If I remember well, that he was one of the first white person to be allowed to open an aikido dojo in Japan. Its a pretty big deal I think. People kinda discard him for his movie career, but he was pretty big for a long time in the MA world before his movie career from what I've read.

lol, aikido.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVm2ld4f08I

Fuckin' Seagal, man....

Long standing story is that he got choked out on a movie set by Judo Gene Lebell for being an asshole to the stuntmen.

Oh yeah before I forget again,
Did anyone else see Lebron at the fight with a GSP headband on? My buddy called it out and we didn't believe it but we hit the DVR and sure enough it was him. Right up front on the entrance lane.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
BobTheFork said:
Oh yeah before I forget again,
Did anyone else see Lebron at the fight with a GSP headband on? My buddy called it out and we didn't believe it but we hit the DVR and sure enough it was him. Right up front on the entrance lane.

Jon Jones?

I highly doubt it was him. He's got a playoff game in Miami in 3 hours.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
My thoughts on 129:

Up until the main event, it was shaping up to be one of the best UFC's ever in front of the biggest crowd ever.

The flying triangle and spinning backfists were great. Lyoto with the Crane Kick put 'im in a body bag. Hominick looked good in a loss, because he made Aldo look vulnerable, despite having to fight with two heads.

As for the main event, I don't get the people hating on Shields. He's the first opponent that has won rounds over GSP in what, 3+ years? Obviously, Shield's standup tools are below average, but he showed more heart than GSP. His gameplan was to take GSP down by setting him up with strikes, but his takedowns were stuffed.

I felt Shields won rounds 4 and 5. If he had done a little more in rounds 1 or 3, he could have won the decision. Not much happened in round 1, so that was winnable. Round 3 was when the eye started affecting GSP, but Shields didn't pick up on it soon enough, and he was still recovering from the round 2 beating. Shields has been the toughest opponent GSP has faced since Matt Hughes (and maybe BJ Penn), and has come the closest to beating him compared to GSP's other opponents.

Also, if Shields standup can make GSP look that bad, Anderson would light him up. The superfight will never happen.

h_a_t

BamYouHaveAids said:
Mosley actually refused Mayweather first so I don't see how you say he actively looks to fight fighters at the end of their career, and he actually moved up to fight De la Hoya while Paquiao made him kill himself by choosing a weight he hasn't fought in for over a decade. I agree the first Castillo fight was a robbery but he destroyed him his next fight so what is your point? It isn't as if GSP has never lost a fight. I also value a win over Mosley coming off a win against the then #1 WW better than a win over Hardy.

Corrales, Castillo, Baldomir, Judah, Hatton, Mosley, Gatti, Marquez, and De La Hoya is a phenomenal record and easily comparable if not better than GSP's...

Thanks for saving me from typing that.
:)

NutJobJim said:
I was really expecting GSPs stand up to look a LOT better against Shields.
Going into the fight I was expecting GSP to out strike Shields for 3 rounds, really beat him up, and then when Shields was tired, sweaty and beaten up, take him down and GnP to win by TKO in round 4 or 5.

I dunno if it's because Shields was much better standing up than GSP expected, but GSPs stand up looked average and not great.
I also agree with the two judges that gave Shields a couple rounds - I think he just about won the last two.
Would like to see a re-match.

My opinion, but it looked like more of a case of GSP really thought he'd be able to out box Shields with ease and wasn't worried about his striking at ALL. As if it would be like Mayweather-Mosley third round and on.
It also didn't help that Shields is probably the first dude that didn't care if it got taken to the ground so he was able to score standing with his robotic frankenstein-esque standup.

alr1ghtstart said:
Jon Jones?

I highly doubt it was him. He's got a playoff game in Miami in 3 hours.

ugh, i was a ufc party where nobody knew a damn thing about actual mma. Just alot of ignorant comments. That was one of the dumb comments, why is lebron wearing that? ugh, wanted to shoot myself.

funk0ar

I didn't see it mentioned in the last few pages, but do you think it was possible Snorges was spraying water in the air like a whale to grease himself up a bit in case he did get taken down?

charsace

Creamwolf said:
I love GSP and shields was clearly not even close to the level of a fighter as GSP is, but GSP could have finished that fight after he kicked Shields in the temple...
No, he couldn't. Shields can take a lot of damage. People thought Hendo had him finished and I'm sure Hendo hits much harder than GSP.

I had it 48-47 for GSP. Shields' gameplan was pretty stupid but he was doing well with the jab and left kick to the body. I thought throwing lots of kicks to bait a takedown was a good idea but GSP didn't fall for it. I don't know how anyone could call that a "dominant performance" - every round was won by a razor thin margin. Rogan seemed to think Shields got dropped by that headkick when he was clearly just shooting in. Same situation as Hominick earlier.

When Garza and MacDonald play Undisputed 2010 I bet they hold down the LB button at all times.

This was a terrible night for Big John, not that I can recall a recent good night for him. Missed a blatant rabbit punch by MacDonald after Diaz tried a single leg, then allowed him to piledrive Diaz in the third round (actually a uranage in pro wrestling terms, but a piledriver in the unified rules). Took him about 6 cage grabs by Hominick to even issue a warning. Only a warning when Hominick landed three consecutive knees to the spine. Stood the fight up repeatedly for no reason in the early rounds, then stood it up to check the hematoma later and restarted them standing, which is ridiculous.

I hope after this card I never again have to hear people rave about GSP's, Aldo's, and Couture's standup. Or talk about Ellenberger and Matyushenko as if their fights are utterly unwatchable.

Still shocked at Henderson winning - didn't think that was even a remote possibility.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
funk0ar said:
I didn't see it mentioned in the last few pages, but do you think it was possible Snorges was spraying water in the air like a whale to grease himself up a bit in case he did get taken down?

He does that ever fight. It's *water* not vaseline.

smurfx said:
i want to see gsp fight nick diaz and see him try and jab nick diaz all night long.

He'll probably use his size/strength to just wrestlefuck Nick all night long and win a decision that way. that's the thing about GSP, he's actually fairly smart in that he finds his opponents weakness and exploits it over and over and over. Kos and Shields both were more dangerous on the ground, and have terrible standup, so GSP can jab them to death and stay away from their strength.

Ninja Scooter said:
Kos and Shields both were more dangerous on the ground, and have terrible standup, so GSP can jab them to death and stay away from their strength.
Kos' stand up is pretty dangerous though. I'd say standing with him was riskier for GSP than going to ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom