• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Top Gun: Maverick experience is taking off 5/25 in Microsoft Flight Simulator

ManaByte

top gun i feel the need GIF

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Take your skills to stratospheric heights with the free Top Gun: Maverick expansion, available now in Microsoft Flight Simulator!

Develop the skills required and navigate complexities encountered by actual Top Gun pilots in authentic locations, including a carrier deck landing challenge, one of the most demanding operations in the world of military aviation. The Top Gun: Maverick expansion also contains a Maverick Edition livery for the F/A-18E Super Hornet, Super Hornet training missions that will introduce you to radical flight maneuvers, five high-speed, low-level challenges through mountains and canyons, a never-before-unveiled hypersonic aircraft, and a mission to roar into the stratosphere.

This expansion, created in partnership with the Top Gun: Maverick film and Paramount Pictures, will push your piloting abilities to the limits and beyond!

Calverz

I played some of this last night. It’s pretty cool actually. It really showcases the manoeuvrability of fighter jets compared to the regular planes in the game. The music etc is pretty cool too. The graphics on series x is unreal but I’m positive there times and it was dipping below 30fps. I’m particular the cockpit view. The download is about 3.5gb

CamHostage

Nice, that sounds like a good amount of content. I couldn't tell in the original announcement/trailer if it was just a jet add-on or what, but having training courses and specific challenges like landing on a carrier or flying near the hard deck is substantive stuff to play with.

pasterpl

Talking about photorealistic. This will look like real life on powerful pc. Probably the best looking game in the last 2-3 years, and will take couple more years until some other game beats it.

CamHostage

Talking about photorealistic. This will look like real life on powerful pc. Probably the best looking game in the last 2-3 years, and will take couple more years until some other game beats it.

It's noticeable how awkward the Ace Combat 7 DLC (which is for a dedicated jet action game) looks in comparison. Flight Sim is really special work.

Last edited:

Fredrik

This is kicking off my F/A-18 Interceptor Amiga nostalgia like crazy!

Played a bit on XSX today, managed to land on the aircraft carrier after many crashes, very very cool.

But I need weapons! And 60fps! Should make a special Ghost of Kyiv edition 👌

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Saw the movie last night and it rocked my cock. Might have to get this.
Never heard that saying....but as it pertains to Top Gun Maverick.
Ill allow it.

Still waiting for the DLSS update though.....but ill have so much content by the time im truly ready to play this itll be a joke.

CamHostage

But I need weapons! And 60fps! Should make a special Ghost of Kyiv edition 👌

I was wondering, when they made the announcement, if this would add Dogfighting (and thus maybe combat systems) in as a scenario type for Flight Simulator, but it makes sense what they've concentrated on here. It's Top Gun academy, not Top Gun fighting. It fits within Flight Sim's feature set while still pushing a new way to play, it helps keep the ESRB E / PEGI 3 rating (though maybe at some point they will sell a new Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator package?), and it just is what it is.

Top Gun as a franchise is kind of funny regarding weapons and fighting anyway. They do have the ending fight, but it's kind of slushed it up in plot to the point that you don't think to ask, what war they're fighting? They're just fighter pilot trainees and their final term-paper mission is to go out and kill "the enemy", or whatever's happening in that ending: defend America and go fight the MIGs from MIG'istan. The best "kill" in the movie isn't a missile hit, it's when Mav punks a bogie so bad by flying over him "the birdy" inverted, to show that it'd be nothing to shoot him down, and so the bogie rage-quits the mission... It's never about the battle so much as about the training to be an unstoppable badass, and that's sort of the magic of that movie.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Nothing awkward at all. Two completely different types of games.

Just talking visually. Ace Combat 7's jet models and lighting look very videogamey against Flight Sim's same jet imagery.

I'm sure AC7's Top Gun DLC will be fun (albeit that is just a plane pack, as opposed to this being a new set of challenge tasks) and it will have the gunplay/dogfighting that Flight Sim won't offer, also it runs at 60FPS, so lots of plusses for it too.

But side-by-side, it's not a fair fight.

Fredrik

I was wondering, when they made the announcement, if this would add Dogfighting (and thus maybe combat systems) in as a scenario type for Flight Simulator, but it makes sense what they've concentrated on here. It's Top Gun academy, not Top Gun fighting. It fits within Flight Sim's feature set while still pushing a new way to play, it helps keep the ESRB E / PEGI 3 rating (though maybe at some point they will sell a new Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator package?), and it just is what it is.

Top Gun as a franchise is kind of funny regarding weapons and fighting anyway. They do have the ending fight, but it's kind of slushed it up in plot to the point that you don't think to ask, what war they're fighting? They're just fighter pilot trainees and their final term-paper mission is to go out and kill "the enemy", or whatever's happening in that ending: defend America and go fight the MIGs from MIG'istan. The best "kill" in the movie isn't a missile hit, it's when Mav punks a bogie so bad by flying over him "the birdy" inverted, to show that it'd be nothing to shoot him down, and so the bogie rage-quits the mission... It's never about the battle so much as about the training to be an unstoppable badass, and that's sort of the magic of that movie.
Good thinking about the age rating.

Combat Flight Sim or a new IP, they should totally build on this any way they can and make another game with combat. They’re so close to nail it here, the flying is fantastic, it’s just that it’s missing some action.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

After 36 years, the 1986 movie Top Gun is finally getting a sequel in for the form of Top Gun: Maverick. But what's a plane movie without an awesome video game tie-in to go with it? So while Top Gun: Maverick isn't getting it's own video game treatment, we are treated to the next best thing: a free expansion pack for the incredibly popular Microsoft Flight Simulator. So strap in and reach the stratosphere, because we feel the need, the need, for speed!

CamHostage

Caught the movie, and I know I already know the answer to this, but... {spoilers, maybe?}

...Any chance the final mission is part of this Flight Simulator pack? It really should have been, that mission is straight out begging for treatment in a video game. (I guess the only problem is, there's nowhere on the map of Earth where all the insane parameters of that mission could actually happen...)

Last edited:

RPS37

Caught the movie, and I know I already know the answer to this, but... {spoilers, maybe?}

...Any chance the final mission is part of this Flight Simulator pack? It really should have been, that mission is straight out begging for treatment in a video game. (I guess the only problem is, there's nowhere on the map of Earth where all the parameters of that mission could actually happen...)

That looks so dope. Do I have to pay extra money to recreate this experience?

CamHostage

That looks so dope. Do I have to pay extra money to recreate this experience?
Free content expansion pack for Flight Sim.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2022/05...ulator-become-a-top-gun-free-expansion-today/

It's not exactly a recreation of the movie flight path, but the pack does contain:
  • A “Top Gun: Maverick” livery for the F/A-18E Super Hornet.
  • Three training missions for the Super Hornet that will allow you to master radical flight maneuvers including unrestricted take-offs, split S maneuvers, and low altitude, high-speed maneuvering through complex terrain.
  • Five high-speed, low-level challenges that require utmost skill to navigate just above mountains and traverse through canyons.
  • A carrier deck landing challenge, one of the most demanding operations in the world of military aviation.
  • A never-before-unveiled hypersonic aircraft that can attain speeds of Mach 10 and altitudes greater than 150,000 feet above sea level.
  • A mission to roar into the stratosphere.

Last edited:

RPS37

Free content expansion pack for Flight Sim.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2022/05...ulator-become-a-top-gun-free-expansion-today/

It's not exactly a recreation of the movie flight path, but the pack does contain:
  • A “Top Gun: Maverick” livery for the F/A-18E Super Hornet.
  • Three training missions for the Super Hornet that will allow you to master radical flight maneuvers including unrestricted take-offs, split S maneuvers, and low altitude, high-speed maneuvering through complex terrain.
  • Five high-speed, low-level challenges that require utmost skill to navigate just above mountains and traverse through canyons.
  • A carrier deck landing challenge, one of the most demanding operations in the world of military aviation.
  • A never-before-unveiled hypersonic aircraft that can attain speeds of Mach 10 and altitudes greater than 150,000 feet above sea level.
  • A mission to roar into the stratosphere.
Is the super hornet free?

Top Bottom