• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Social Network [OT]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Sam

Harry_Tequila said:
Why oh why do we have to wait until February for this to reach the UK. Talk about driving piracy. I want to give them my money... why don't they want it. :(
Blu-ray could be region free, I'm not sure.

Posted for new page:

Picked this up today. I gotta ask something about the film though: Why is Eduardo friends with Mark? Mark doesn't say a single nice thing to Eduardo throughout the entire film.

Mr. Sam said:
Additionally, the movie is about the degradation of their relationship - precisely because Mark is so inconsiderate.
I only mention it because a friend brought it up, and she's right. The film never gives us any reason as to why they are friends.

big ander

Dax01 said:
I only mention it because the friend brought it up, and she's right. The film never gives us any reason as to why they are friends.
Well, they go to the same school, seem to have a lot of crossover in friends, share interests, and they have a good back-and-forth. That's about all I have with my friends.

Dax01 said:
I only mention it because the friend brought it up, and she's right. The film never gives us any reason as to why they are friends.

They both need each other. Eduardo needs Mark to get the perfect idea to get him to the clubs or whatever, and Mark needs Eduardo for the money. Eduardo plays the straight guy, and Mark needs this too.

Littleberu said:
They both need each other. Eduardo needs Mark to get the perfect idea to get him to the clubs or whatever, and Mark needs Eduardo for the money. Eduardo plays the straight guy, and Mark needs this too.
But Eduardo got into a club during the movie, or almost. Besides, if that's the only case, I wouldn't really consider that "friends."

Dead

well not really...yet
Eduardo came off to me as someone who felt it was his responsibility to almost...take care of Mark.

I mean, you can see how huge the gulf is between them now when the lawyer brings up the chicken thing. Eduardo lashes out at Mark, while Mark remarks he didn't tell the lawyers about it. Due to how their relationship worked you could see the near regret in Mark at the end of the film, while you could see the absolute feeling of betrayal that Eduardo felt.

Dax01 said:
But Eduardo got into a club during the movie, or almost. Besides, if that's the only case, I wouldn't really consider that "friends."

That's the beginning of their friendship. They grew closer together because of that whole "business idea" they had.

And Eduardo got into a club and that's mainly [apparently] why their friendship grew apart. Mark thought that being with a popular smart kid like Eduardo would give him a lot of cred.

They also knew each other pretty well and had a lot of chemistry together (like the bar scene with the girls).

Replicant

Yup, it's a case of too little to late. Mark took his friendship with Eduardo for granted and never once, until that point, considered how much he's ignored the one person who's been there for him all along.

Just popped in the second commentary, with Aaron Sorkin and the cast.

It's really weird though, it sounds like they recorded most of them separately, and then cut it together like it's supposed to be an actual conversation.

EDIT: Yeah, it sounds like Sorkin, and Eisenberg were each recorded on their own. And Garf and Hammer were recorded with each other.

Magnus

Dead said:
The blu-ray case feels nice, but it smells like SHIT
Agreed! lol

Saw this finally last night. Loved practically everything about it; Eisenberg ruled this top to bottom.

Garfield's performance struck me as overrated mediocrity personified. So distracted and/or bored by him. Character was never sold to me, was like amateur acting hour. Can't see him as the next Parker.

Magnus said:
Garfield's performance struck me as overrated mediocrity personified. So distracted and/or bored by him. Character was never sold to me, was like amateur acting hour. Can't see him as the next Parker.

I liked him a lot, especially his breakdown in the office which was one of my favorite scenes. I thought he played it right, he was basically a guy getting screwed over the entire time but kept most of his feeling bottled up in a mature fashion just to see where everything would end up going. That made me like his character quite a bit, he wasn't an over-dramatic character.

He and Mark were basically polar opposites, while Mark doesn't really say much until prodded, Eduardo was the same but Mark is screwing him over while Ed takes it up the ass. I felt that Garfield nailed this and I felt genuinely sympathetic.

Granted I've only seen it once but that was my initial impression.

Watched it again last night and the soundtrack really grabbed me. Had to download it when the movie was over. 'Intriguing Possibilities' is so so good.

Drewsky

striKeVillain! said:
Watched it again last night and the soundtrack really grabbed me. Had to download it when the movie was over. 'Intriguing Possibilities' is so so good.
I bought the OST right after I saw it too. After the first scene, when Hands Cover Bruise started up as he walks back to his dorm, I knew the movie was going to be fantastic.

Magnus

brandonh83 said:
I liked him a lot, especially his breakdown in the office which was one of my favorite scenes. I thought he played it right, he was basically a guy getting screwed over the entire time but kept most of his feeling bottled up in a mature fashion just to see where everything would end up going. That made me like his character quite a bit, he wasn't an over-dramatic character.

He and Mark were basically polar opposites, while Mark doesn't really say much until prodded, Eduardo was the same but Mark is screwing him over while Ed takes it up the ass. I felt that Garfield nailed this and I felt genuinely sympathetic.

Granted I've only seen it once but that was my initial impression.

I definitely felt sympathy for him. Was more like, 'I'm so sorry a major superhero franchise is about to land on your inadequate shoulders, and the world's going to notice' :lol

No, I'm kidding (a little); I did definitely feel some sympathy for him. The panic when he sees the cease/desist letter and the office storm at the end were good moments, and so were the few moments of 'we were friends' sincerity in the legal debates at the end.

Thank fucking goodness for the film's soundtrack. Amazing. Was it all originally composed just for the film? I remember hearing there was at least one NIN track that was going to be used, but reworked and extended for the film, but that the majority was going to be original?

Cloudy

Banned
Just saw this today and I don't get all the praise. It was ok but nothing I immediately want to see again. Eduardo seems like the most sympathetic character but he was dumb for not moving to Cali to keep Zuck in check.

Decent movie but I bet it's like 50% fiction lol

JCX

Just saw this a few nights ago. It was just good. Soundtrack was great, though, and I also enjoyed the non-linear story structure. I cracked up at the
Livejournal scene

Also, I wrote a four loko-inspired parody of TSN trailer.

I have this theory that this movie is only a 10/10 if you're secretly just like Mark Zuckerberg (the way he is portrayed in the film + Facebook's real-life insane success).

you really have to identify with a very specific, anti-social trait. he just does the "i am online and i know why other people go online and i did something with it" so perfectly that it almost becomes a superhero movie. he's horrible, he's anti-social, he's a douchebag.. but baby he's a rich man.

Cloudy

Banned
blame space said:
I have this theory that this movie is only a 10/10 if you're secretly just like Mark Zuckerberg (the way he is portrayed in the film + Facebook's real-life insane success).

you really have to identify with a very specific, anti-social trait. he just does the "i am online and i know why other people go online and i did something with it" so perfectly that it almost becomes a superhero movie. he's horrible, he's anti-social, he's a douchebag.. but baby he's a rich man.

That might be good if it was a fictional story but the way he's portrayed irritated me because I'm pretty sure it's not anywhere near accurate

Sydle

Great movie, but I'll never watch it again. I was disgusted by all of the characters (especially Zuckerberg) in it save for Eduardo.

Krowley

I liked this very well but found it underwhelming compared to the praise it's getting. It lacked any kind of serious emotional punch, and I've liked several other movies much better this year. I was shocked by the Golden Globes reception.

kaskade

I put it the Blu-Ray for the first time right when the awards were over. I still freaking love the movie. The soundtrack is amazing, I'm glad Trent and Atticus won the award.

I'm very excited to see how The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo turns out.

Talon

AvidNobody said:
How realistic is this movie to the actual founding of fbook?
A bit off.

The tech community as a whole took a disliking to the movie because it's sort of anti-entrepreneurial. The point isn't who get's there first, it's who executes the concept best. Twitter, Groupon, Facebook, Skype, etc. wouldn't be where they are today without great execution. Some also saw Eisenburg's role of Zuckerburg as old media (Hollywood vis a vis Sorkin) talking down to new media (Silicon Valley types).

Guys, this movie doesn't even try to be the total truth. Immediately after the hacking scene, Zuckerberg says that the bar scene never happened that way. There are other points in the deposition where a character says something didn't happen the way it is shown.

In the end of the film, in fact,
Rashida Jones even says something along the lines of "I believe emotional testimonies are 85% exaggeration and 15% purgery."

Part of it is based around the idea that different people have different takes on what really happened.

AvidNobody said:
One more question that isn't too big. But in the beginning why do separate houses have their own facebook?

Because it was like that before. It was the main reason Facebook was invented ; to bring the school altogether.

There must have been a technical reason or privacy or whatever. Maybe they didn't have to be shared.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Mr. Sam said:
I appreciate sarcasm doesn't necessarily carry well in writing but come on.
technically, every movie has conflict. i guess you mean you prefer movies that have minimal or non man vs man conflict. of if there is man vs man conflict, then black and white conflict perhaps?

The movie is definetely better the second time around. I really like Garfield's performance and some of the dialogue is great (fuck you flip-flops, minimum attention, etc). The best part of the film is easily the score though. I finally listened to it from beginning to end and it's fucking amazing.

I've gotta say that the lack of any real genuine friendship between the two at the start of the film and through its degradation made me disconnect what apparently was a huge selling point for the story.

I know, with my friends, complimenting one another is something that happens more than once a blue moon. Giving each other respect comes through more than just shared business ideas and popularity.

I guess I'm also perplexed as to how the score's so great. I love Trent Reznor and NIN and anything he does, but I can't be fucked to remember any lone track from the entire movie.

Ultimately, after seeing the film I'm still not sure how it was even close to being Best Picture. It's a good movie, but not great.

RedStep

DevelopmentArrested said:
The movie is definetely better the second time around. I really like Garfield's performance and some of the dialogue is great (fuck you flip-flops, minimum attention, etc). The best part of the film is easily the score though. I finally listened to it from beginning to end and it's fucking amazing.

It's interesting that the two most notable scores this year (imo) are both by popular musicians and not film composers (TRON: Legacy and The Social Network). Both are also heavy on electronics while still using "traditional" methods and instruments as well.

I think this trend should continue.

brandonh83 said:
I've been pretty down on Spider-Man since the reboot was announced, but after watching the Social Network, I've been given faith that Garfield is going to do a great job. The scene in the office that you're talking about really sold him for me. He did an amazing job.

I'm probably the only one who didn't enjoy the soundtrack though. It took me out of the film way too many times...distracting more than anything.

big ander

ZephyrFate said:
I've gotta say that the lack of any real genuine friendship between the two at the start of the film and through its degradation made me disconnect what apparently was a huge selling point for the story.

I know, with my friends, complimenting one another is something that happens more than once a blue moon. Giving each other respect comes through more than just shared business ideas and popularity.
There isn't a lack of friendship, though. The two are comfortable around each other. They do talk algorithms, but it's what they're interested in.
The complimenting isn't there, sure. And Mark doesn't seem to respect Eduardo like he should. But that doesn't mean they aren't friends. It means their friendship is doomed to fail, and we watch exactly that happen. We watch a friendship that could turn into a close bond fall apart.

ZephyrFate said:

I agree. They make you assume too much about their friendship. The emotional impact at the end would've been stronger if they showed Mark and Garfield actually doing shit fiends do together. Anything to set it up before they tear it down.

It also hurt that the film ended with Mark looking for Erica on Facebook....It is a nice full-circle-esque ending, but it leaves me feeling that the whole film was about his obsession with her, and it gave zero closure in terms of Eduardo and Mark.

big ander

Vincent Alexander said:
I agree. They make you assume too much about their friendship. The emotional impact at the end would've been stronger if they showed Mark and Garfield actually doing shit fiends do together. Anything to set it up before they tear it down.

It also hurt that the film ended with Mark looking for Erica on Facebook....It is a nice full-circle-esque ending, but it leaves me feeling that the whole film was about his obsession with her, and it gave zero closure in terms of Eduardo and Mark.
His search for Erica wasn't supposed to be taken as him doing all of that just for Erica. It was more that he's bad at connecting with people and he thought Facebook would change that. But it never really did.

big ander said:
His search for Erica wasn't supposed to be taken as him doing all of that just for Erica. It was more that he's bad at connecting with people and he thought Facebook would change that. But it never really did.
Hrmmm...I like it more thinking about it your way.

Replicant

ZephyrFate said:

I think that's the point. It's a one-sided friendship where Eduardo was the one who made effort at being Mark's friend whereas Mark just took it for granted. Mark did like Eduardo but he seemed incapable of expressing that fondness for his friend and repeatedly failed at doing simple things that friends do like giving acknowledgment or just being happy when said friend excels in something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom