• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 'shitty wires' thread

cormack12

Gold Member
Nothing is/was more offensive than a parallel cable

centronics-ieee-1284-parallel-printer-cable-36-pin-female-to-female-2m-009771.jpg

Except maybe SCART

1873645-a.jpg

nush

Those shitty Mini-B USB ports on the Move controllers with the PSVR, like they couldn't even be bothered to update them to use the same Micro USB cable the Dualshock used to charge, so had to keep another cable laying around. my PSVR setup looks like the flying spaghetti monster.

618b8Xq%2BhXL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Fuck you cable.

Everything changed to micro USB, and then there's the Wii U Pro controller that still used mini USBs. Can I find any mini USB cables anywhere in all the cables I have in my "Cable box"? Can I fuck.

so many cables piss me off. i dream of a world where USB C is the standard for everything.

my monitor uses DisplayPort because apparently that's the only way for my nvidia GPU + monitor to use g-sync (compatible).

my phone uses USB C to Lightning.
my ipad uses USB C to C
my earphones use USB A to C
my kindle uses USB A to Micro
my XB1 controller has a USB Micro
my dash cam is USB Mini
my external HD uses USB A to B

just start using the same damn cable for everything please!

*Nightwing

DisplayPort
AtvvGLm.jpg

But no cause of the cable, but because I work repair where most employees are young, and have no hand strength to un clip it, but enough arm strength to jerk the cable and break the port

Pagusas

Elden Member
anything round with pins, like old mice, keyboards, display adapters. Luckily you could bend them back most of the time…
AM5V_1_201910221768154426.jpg

Working with all Canon pro equipment in our studio, I can say I F***** HATE how Canon makes all its proprietary plugs round with 12+ pins, and only visual tiny markings you are supposed to line up to push the plug in... oh and if you don't line it up every time you have a high % chance of being some of those tiny pins. Its disgusting to see from a company like Canon, even worst on a$10k+ Camera and 20k+ lens.

Edit: THIS SHIT

1613668871_1557492.jpg

And the worst part? Several ports on the camera have the pins ON THE CAMERA SIDE! Ruin those, and you just ruined a super expensive camera, or are in for a $3k+ repair build at an autherized canon shop

11082542_1630290140541432_4210423090570127427_n.jpg

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Who the fuck ever looked at a cable and thought: "You know what this needs, some fuckin' nylon braiding"?

iu

These things can eat a massive dick.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
SCSI cables suck ass.

n82nMcb.jpg
9yt03q22q0c61.png

Fuck serial cables.
These are pretty similar, but amen. Whomever invented these pieces of shit..... fuck.

The worst thing about these too is you screw them into a printer or table top projector but somehow you can still wobble them a bit. So what happens over time is it get misaligned and the colours dont come out right as the link isnt firm.

At least USBs and HDMIs are true plug and play with firm grips.

Those shitty Mini-B USB ports on the Move controllers with the PSVR, like they couldn't even be bothered to update them to use the same Micro USB cable the Dualshock used to charge, so had to keep another cable laying around. my PSVR setup looks like the flying spaghetti monster.

618b8Xq%2BhXL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Fuck you cable.

Yeah I gotta vote these cables... how fucking hard is it to just use Micro USB? Worst part is they're still heavily used in a lot of A/V and IT applications.

Fuck you, Mini-B.

I realized also that the spacing of the ports (which is a good thing technically) is , so even when you get it right - it feels like it's the wrong way (and you're never plugging the damn things in with the port in view).

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Is it just my USB-c's or my phone port that doesn't latch on very well? I find it kind of frustrating tbh

Fbh

For some reason I find it impossible to plug an HDMI cable without looking. I know where the port it, I know which way the cable has to be facing. But it just doesn't work.

Is it just my USB-c's or my phone port that doesn't latch on very well? I find it kind of frustrating tbh

That's tiny amounts of dust/dirt that start to accumulate on the USB-c port on your phone.
Use compressed air or some thinned down toothpick or something to clean it out. It will seem like there was only a little bit, but the cable will instantly latch on like new again.

Last edited:

Porcile

Still have nightmares of climbing over the back on my Trinitron whenever I had to change out a SCART cable.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
1. Might as well ask this thread: Do newer hdmi cords allow you to do 120hz or more?

2. Furthermore, is it possible to switch the video output internally on a PC? Like if I wanted to run an output today my living room tv and one to my monitor, is that even possible? (Assuming the card has two hdmi slots)

Burnttips

Apples lightning cable is the worst. I've purchased one of those every 3 months until I bought the iPad air 4. Hopefully Apple is done with them from now on.

YCoCg

1. Might as well ask this thread: Do newer hdmi cords allow you to do 120hz or more?
HDMI operated on a bandwidth, 120Hz is just one part, you need to count resolution and bit depth too. HDMI2.1 can handle 4k at 120Hz just fine, meanwhile HDMI2.0 can do 1080p at 120Hz, lower ones could get away with 720p at 120Hz, etc.

2. Furthermore, is it possible to switch the video output internally on a PC? Like if I wanted to run an output today my living room tv and one to my monitor, is that even possible? (Assuming the card has two hdmi slots)
Yes you can do this. I have 4k 60Hz 10bit going to my TV but 1080p 144Hz 8bit going to my monitor.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
HDMI operated on a bandwidth, 120Hz is just one part, you need to count resolution and bit depth too. HDMI2.1 can handle 4k at 120Hz just fine, meanwhile HDMI2.0 can do 1080p at 120Hz, lower ones could get away with 720p at 120Hz, etc.

Yes you can do this. I have 4k 60Hz 10bit going to my TV but 1080p 144Hz 8bit going to my monitor.
Does it output both at the same time or do you have to switch internally?

YCoCg

Does it output both at the same time or do you have to switch internally?
Both at the same, the second output gets classed as another monitor, but you can drag things between screens and they'll auto adjust. For games it's just going into the menu and switching which monitor to use.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Both at the same, the second output gets classed as another monitor, but you can drag things between screens and they'll auto adjust. For games it's just going into the menu and switching which monitor to use.
I’ll have to try it. Will it work the same way between DisplayPort and HDMI?

Top Bottom