• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Rise and Fall of Saints Row

an hour-long video about a car crash? hell, if i wanted to watch something like that i could just look out my window...

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
A long video summed up in a few sentences:

They used to make games that were dumb and fun. Then they tried to make a game that was just dumb and insulting.
I just finished watching it and It sort of felt like despite acknowledging that Volition alienated the established fanbase with the zoomer character power fantasy and releasing a poorly reviewed game in the end they seemed to chalk it up to the industry's desire for growth and consolidation. That's disappointing, because has Volition delivered a game fans of the franchise could relate to Embracer may not have shut them down.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
I just finished watching it and It sort of felt like despite acknowledging that Volition alienated the established fanbase with the zoomer character power fantasy and releasing a poorly reviewed game in the end they seemed to chalk it up to the industry's desire for growth and consolidation. That's disappointing, because has Volition delivered a game fans of the franchise could relate to Embracer may not have shut them down.

Sadly. I didn't expect them to actually discuss the real reasons in depth of why the game failed. Can't touch criticize the ideology too much otherwise they may be cancelled.

Jesb

It had its moment in the sun. I didn’t really think it was a franchise that had the longevity of others. There’s many other dead franchises that deserved a better fait but are no longer around.

Laptop1991

I'm a big fan of Saints Row 2 and 3, i played 4 but the superpowers slightly ruined it for me, but the recent game wasn't good and it's a shame the studio got shut down, all they had to do was make a SR game like 2 and 3 and i think the game would have sold decent numbers and been received well.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
SR2 was a brilliant game. The rest of the series was kinda meh. For all the hate the new game got 3 and 4 weren't exactly masterpieces series was on a downward spiral which reached its natural conclusion

Last edited:

Duchess

Track that played when I first loaded up Saints Row 2:

(I think the music is randomly selected on the title screen..?)

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I don’t need to watch the video, but I do want to say that last Saints Row game is easily in the top three worst game I’ve ever played.

I’m not exaggerating. Saints checks off every possible low note. Unlikable characters, an absurd premise (especially with those characters), bad dialogue, piss poor combat, and mediocre graphics.

Spyxos

It used to be a great series until part 4, after that it wasn't all that interesting anymore.

Is this guy a real human? He sounds like these ai generated voices.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
A long video summed up in a few sentences:

They used to make games that were dumb and fun. Then they tried to make a game that was just dumb and insulting.
I never played SR games.

But my impression (maybe I'm wrong) is that the old SR games were like B-tier GTA kinds of games with more action. If someone didn't like GTA or didn't want to wait years for it, SR fills the gap.

But then they changed it up to a big bright coloured Fortnite party fest action game with obvious political slants to it.

Considering GTA games take forever to come out, they would had sold more copies if they stuck to their original formula, improved each sequel and release a new game every 3 years.

danklord

Gold Member
Agents of Mayhem is what broke the company. After Jaros left it was a passion project by remaining talent and it just wasn't the same. They then over-corrected by trying to reboot Saints Row and here we are.

Top Bottom