• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Retro Gaming Thread

Krathoon

Here is a thread where we can dig up and talk about old games. So feel free to talk about gog games and MS DOS games here.

I bought this game, Schizm II, and the install was weird. I bought it on Amazon and it downloaded the game through the website. It seems to be DRM free.

The Schizm games are similar to later generation Myst games. Like when they started to really use FMV. It seems like the second one was in a 3D engine. It is kind of the odd duck.

For some weird reason, the second one was not on gog. I had to go through Amazon. I guess it was some licensing issue.

The third one looks really good. It was made in 2021. So, you got HD video in it.

There is also this game called Realms of Haunting that I really need to get into. It is this weird occult video game.

So, if you got a weird cult classic video game, feel free to talk about it.

Krathoon

Actually, I just tried out the third game in the Schizm series. It turns out that that one is full 3D. So, only the first game used FMV.

Adeptus

Most fans of the HoMM games are aware of the original King's Bounty as "precursor". But recently I found otherm much less known old game which used very similar mechanics: Hammer of the Gods.

MarkMe2525

This looks like as good of a place as any other to put this. I recently procured an Anbernic RG Nano and man is it fucking awesome. Look at how tiny this fully functional retro handheld is.

qTiLjMI.jpg

This thing is so small that it can live in your pocket. I have some small handhelds (OG Miyoo Mini & Miyoo Mini+), and I still find myself deciding not to bring them with me due to them taking up space in my pockets. That is almost never an issue anymore.

x1RJ66f.jpg

You might say to yourself, "Self, I could not imagine playing on something so small". Well I am here to tell you that you are probably right, but you don't have to imagine because this thing is real and awesome.

Jf0X2RP.jpg

I can easily get a few minutes of pinball or Kirby's Block Ball in while I am waiting on my wife to try on pants. There are a bunch of rpg's and puzzle games that can be played with one hand, I have even played around with some GBA racing games. They feel great due to the Nano's responsive d-pad and precise buttons. It also sports two shoulder buttons that are super clicky and great to fiddle with.

LKnkUmG.jpg

j06yDxa.jpg

bMubr65.jpg

I just wanted to share how much fun I have been having with this thing. I attempted to resize the images and they still turned out looking huge on my laptop, so my bad. One word of note, I have a custom version of Funkey OS installed because the default launcher succckkss.

jcorb

I've been thinking lately, I really want to jump into some Castlevania games. My favorites were probably Symphony and Portait of Ruin (Harmony of Despair for the 360/PS3 was incredible with multiplayer), but feeling like going back to the originals.

I never played the second game, though, and heard it's kind of a nightmare? Anything worth doing to prepare for that in advance?

MarkMe2525

I've been thinking lately, I really want to jump into some Castlevania games. My favorites were probably Symphony and Portait of Ruin (Harmony of Despair for the 360/PS3 was incredible with multiplayer), but feeling like going back to the originals.

I never played the second game, though, and heard it's kind of a nightmare? Anything worth doing to prepare for that in advance?
Which game are you referring to specifically? I have experience with all of the metroidvania style titles that I'm aware of, I may be able to give you some pointers if I have played it.

Edit: I get it, Simon's curse. Sorry I was confused. I haven't played that one, I had also heard it was tough, with obscure actions that must be performed to progress.

Last edited:

jcorb

Which game are you referring to specifically? I have experience with all of the metroidvania style titles that I'm aware of, I may be able to give you some pointers if I have played it.

Edit: I get it, Simon's curse. Sorry I was confused. I haven't played that one, I had also heard it was tough, with obscure actions that must be performed to progress.

I do love some metroidvania games! In fact, I was super impressed with Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night when I played it a year or two back.

Kinda wish there was a game in that kind of style, but with more of a "fun" sort of aesthetic. Something 80's or 90's themed maybe?

In terms of Simon's Quest, if you're able to play hacked ROMs, there's a fairly easy to find new translation that rectifies the game's main issue of misleadingly vague and incoherent English text. Castlevania II is also a proto-open-world Action-RPG, so you may want to take a quick look at a FAQ to understand its quasi-leveling-upgrade system. Otherwise, the game is pretty easy, especially given its pedigree.

MarkMe2525

Playing the Atari 50 collection, Food Fight is a great little game, it’s like something Nintendo would make during the NES days.
I have been eyeballing this. I'm not as much interested in the game's as the extra content. How is that aspect of it specifically?

Last edited:
I have been eyeballing this. I'm not as much interested in the game's as the extra content. How is that aspect of it specifically?

Excellent. There is a lot of extras that really hit home the nostalgia feeling with photos, documents and interviews. Digital Eclipse did a great job.

My only complaint is the Jaguar and Lynx library of games isn’t as substantial as I had hoped.

Well worth the money tho imho

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Excellent. There is a lot of extras that really hit home the nostalgia feeling with photos, documents and interviews. Digital Eclipse did a great job.

My only complaint is the Jaguar and Lynx library of games isn’t as substantial as I had hoped.
Awesome, exactly as I hoped. I bought the contra anniversary collection and was really surprised with all the behind the scenes documentation they had.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The promotional material and commercials they added are a must have if you’ve ever liked that sort of thing. The 50th Anniversary is probably the best collection of materials inside of a game.

I was recently gifted MK Trilogy, Ken Griffey Jr. baseball, and 1080 Snowboarding for N64. I don’t have a working N64, so I was contemplating either hunting down another one or searching to see if there was a retro game station type of equivalent. I also want to get the N64 gamepad. I should be more thankful. My childhood friends send me N64 games because we grew up playing the console together.

MarkMe2525

The promotional material and commercials they added are a must have if you’ve ever liked that sort of thing. The 50th Anniversary is probably the best collection of materials inside of a game.

I was recently gifted MK Trilogy, Ken Griffey Jr. baseball, and 1080 Snowboarding for N64. I don’t have a working N64, so I was contemplating either hunting down another one or searching to see if there was a retro game station type of equivalent. I also want to get the N64 gamepad. I should be more thankful. My childhood friends send me N64 games because we grew up playing the console together.
There was just a N64 console announced from Analogue.

I'm sure it will cost an arm and a leg, but worth looking at nonetheless.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
My gaming habits since the early 2010's in majority shifted toward retro gaming. I'll buy one current gen console if any (in this case a Switch as I'm I have a P.C. if it's for the sake of graphics). Currently enjoying the goofiness of the original Clayfighter SNES release. Seems like there was an attempt to bring back some of these games like Clayfighter in the 5th or 6th gen but never really worked out.

Mitsurux

PSA to any TG-16 owners, check you games plastic sleeves. I recently was going through my collection and noticed that the plastic sleeves are starting to degrade (Getting sticky), and i've stored my games in a pretty much ideal environment. I'm now looking to see if there is any type of aftermaket replacement product available (or something that could be used as such).

Papa_Wisdom

I’ve asked my gf for an Amiga 500 mini for my birthday so fingers crossed I get it. Really want to play some shuffle puck cafe again, Amiga was a massive part of my childhood and hopefully I’ll get to re experience it around this time next month!

I’ve asked my gf for an Amiga 500 mini for my birthday so fingers crossed I get it. Really want to play some shuffle puck cafe again, Amiga was a massive part of my childhood and hopefully I’ll get to re experience it around this time next month!
I had an Amiga 500 but never loved it in the way I did my Mega Drive.

What were some of your favourite Amiga games? I only really play Chaos Engine and Cannon Fodder now. I tried to get into Alien Breed but I didn't like the level design, it felt far too random, if that makes sense?

marcincz

What were some of your favourite Amiga games? I only really play Chaos Engine and Cannon Fodder now. I tried to get into Alien Breed but I didn't like the level design, it felt far too random, if that makes sense?
You should definitely try Moonstone, Sensible Soccer and some Psygnosis titles.

Papa_Wisdom

Sorry for late reply sorry have been away over the weekend.

Thanks the thing it was such a massive part of my childhood but I can’t remember all that many games apart from the usual suspects

Zool, James pond was it, fire and ice, shuffle puck cafe, kings quest series I think, an Indiana Jones type of platformer etc. I’m looking forwards to rediscovering loads of games that I played but have since forgotten about. I know I could use an Amiga emulator etc but I’m so excited to have a dedicated device setup with proper controls to experience them. I can only liken it to playing snatcher emulated on the Xbox where the controls feel a bit all over and then playing it on my mega drive mini where it’s exactly how I remember it.

Krathoon

Ha. Ha. I forgot I made this thread. Good to see that it is still going.

I just found out a way to emulate a Virtual Boy on an Oculus Rift S. Kind of neat.
The emulator is out on Github.

Top Bottom