• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official NeoGAF "Introduce Yourself" Thread

adamosmaki

Greetings. Makis here from Cyprus. Long time lurker here and finally decided to create an account. Long time pc gamer since the early 90's . Strategy , Fps and WRPGs are my most played games. My favorite games are Witcher series, Civilization series and 90's fps games mainly Blood, Duke Nukem 3d and Unreal/UT 99

s34ab

Banned
tenor.gif

SerpentWave

Neo Member
Hey what is cooking NeoGAF threaders, I am a fighting game junkie and recovering junk tech addict. I often fiddle with things until I break them, mostly said crap devices and other distracting current gen knick knacks. I am a native ATLien and am a proud co-founder of ‘FinalRound’ which is now the oldest fighting game tournament in the world (held here in Atlanta each year). I look forward to asking a lot of questions that the universe cannot generally provide an answer for. Cheers ^_^

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Hello. Been lurking on GAF since ‘07 or so, fond memories of reading NPD threads in college. Got a job working overnights now and it gets a little slow so I figured I’d try to join the conversation.

Hit me up if you want to chat games, comics, or 40k :)

Welcome. Good times back then, yeah. I aimed to post the NPD numbers faster than anywhere else each month. :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Mista

Banned
Hello. Been lurking on GAF since ‘07 or so, fond memories of reading NPD threads in college. Got a job working overnights now and it gets a little slow so I figured I’d try to join the conversation.

Hit me up if you want to chat games, comics, or 40k :)
It always good when a long time lurker decides to join us. Welcome aboard and thank you for joining us :)

udkultimate

Hello guys.

I already completed one month here!!!! However, I still am not allowed to post threads here in this forum.

Anyway, I just would like to invite you all to download and play this small but fun and free Homebrew Game I developed for PS3, XBOX360 and PC, using my modified version of Unreal Engine 3. I have done this game just for improve my skills with Unreal Engine 3. I hope everyone enjoy it:

Cheers!

Hey everyone. I'm a lifelong gamer from New York who's been around on the internet since about 02. I've occasionally thought about joining, but I didn't have a proper (ie school/work) email until college, and by then I wasn't fond of the culture that had formed. Too much walking on eggshells for my taste. Looks like most of that has moved to ERA now though, so I figure nows the time to join.

As for the games I play, I do a little bit of most things. I'm half decent at fighting games with Under Night and SamSho being the 2 I'm focusing on now. My MOBA of choice is Smite. My love of punishingly difficult platformers started with IWBTG. I love RPGs, both turn based and real time, with FF6 and Kingdom Hearts 2 being my two favorites. That said, Fallout has a special place in my heart, with my favorite being Fallout New Vegas, closely followed by Fallout 2. I'm currently playing Catherine Full Body, the two fighting games mentioned above, and Devil May Cry 3. I've been making my way through the series, not moving on until I beat Dante Must Die difficuty on each one.

Last edited:

dolfiend

Neo Member
I was lurking through console speculations during 2012, Microsoft shooting themselves in the foot in 2013, and Project Beast in 2014. Reading through threads was quite the fun time sink as it is now. I had a college account already, but it's better to let it die with the old Neogaf and start anew with GAF 2.0. I respect logic and reason above all else, so when GamerGate happened, I immediately saw this place go full retard with political correctness and moral condemnation to the point of religious zealotry. I left and didn't have any interest coming back. Eventually everyone on the Internet was talking about the drama with Evilore and the inevitable cannibalism that led to ResetEra. I figured this place was a skeleton with no purpose and still ignored it. However, my curiosity led me back two or three months ago since people on Reddit and YouTube comments said it wasn't as unbearable as it used to be. I'm glad it's gotten a little more humble and modest compared to those previous years. Forgive the long rambling, but you won't have to hear from me often.

I grew up on Japanese games and anime. After finishing Code Geass R2, I pretty much fell out of anime/manga when I realized there was a major shift in the target demographic. Unlike the 80s to early 2000s, everything now has to be about kids or kids in school. Older stuff has kids being protagonists as well, but there was much more variety and options. It's horribly limiting to the creative writing process, and it has stagnated the industry. Adults can still enjoy them, but Japanese kids are the main customers first and foremost while adults are wage slaves sleeping on streets or jumping in front of trains. Long gone are the days of Wolf's Rain, Perfect Blue, Paranoia Agent, and Cowboy Bebop. I checked out My Hero Academia because I heard so much praise, but it's a mediocre disappointment that the writer/artist himself admitted was inspired by the MCU/superhero popularity wave (it's also the reason why it's so popular in the west). You can tell because all the corny character designs look like DC/Marvel rejects from a "create-a-character" contest and the writing quality matches the designs. The narrative has numerous problems, but I won't ramble about it here. However, I will say the song "You Say Run" is high quality under any context. One exception though: I also saw "A Silent Voice" after the KyoAni fire incident, and regret not seeing their products sooner. This movie was amazing, and it showed the great writing that was still possible in Japan but covered up by lolis.

In terms of games, I grew up on Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, and Devil May Cry. They've generally fallen out of favor for different reasons. FF, a B-tier franchise with A-tier production value, is a shadow of its former self with no identity just like the company; there's a reason why they broke the emergency glass and pulled out FFVII Remake nostalgia, which I don't particularly care for. KH has stagnated; the story is a never-ending joke and Utada's main song is nowhere near as memorable and unique as the previous two. I appreciate the great art direction in 3, though; it retained its good looking aesthetic style after a ten plus year hiatus from its previous mainline installment, which is something DMC5 could've learned from, looking at its ugly ass art direction. RE Engine is a highly detailed but ugly engine, and I see people conflate the two too many times on the Internet; graphical fidelity is not the same thing as graphical aesthetic. I absolutely respect the software engineers who created this highly proficient engine. It runs so much better than anything else on the market and has a great amount of setting options, but there are some things Capcom needs to fix. The color palette is too dark, bland, and limiting. It may fit RE games, but I don't think it fits an over the top, anime style action like DMC. DMC1 was the darkest in atmosphere because of its RE roots, but look at how varied the colors are from the marionettes to the frosts and to Dante and the HUD itself. Everything pops. Same goes for photorealism. Face-scanning is now an excuse for developers to take shortcuts. Why spend extra time and money carefully sculpting a beautiful character and environment when you can just copy-paste them into the game? I'd say Ada is an exception to the rule. Being aesthetically pleasing is important because you have to look at the screen 100% of the time. That is why having good looking if not sexy characters is a worthwhile endeavor in fiction. It is not a crime or sin to be entertained in an entertainment medium. It's annoying to look at Nero who looks like he took Ryu's Shin Shoryuken to the chin one too many times. I have problems with gameplay for the latest games in these franchises, but again, I won't ramble in detail since this isn't the place to do so. Just to be clear, I still enjoyed RE2 and DMC5 (they're still better than the Western games that have come out this year) and respect Japanese companies for focusing on gameplay while Western devs flounder for miscellaneous reasons.

My favorite company right now is FromSoft. Their approach to game design is a step in the right direction for the industry while many other companies are chasing the shadow of the other, more established medium out of insecurity. They know how to make a well-rounded product and they don't abuse DLC/microtransactions. However, I will wag my finger at the multiple forced and needless walking areas/tutorials/pop-ups in Sekiro. They slow down the game for no reason like speed bumps on the freeway. There's a lot of things Sekiro can do better, but it's currently my game of the year, and I don't see it being dethroned. It's a great package all around with engaging level design and bosses that increase heart rate while being way more fun to look at than both RE2 and DMC5. Sekiro is a beautiful game in spite of not being as technically competent as the other two. I also respect FromSoft's desire to keep things fresh by making new IPs. Sekiro being a new IP also gives it an edge over RE2 and DMC5, which are very good but disappointing games because they were very safe and unambitious. I feel like both of them could have and should have been much better. It says a lot to me that I just finished playing through Sekiro four times straight to NG+3 to get all achievements (only bother with achievements if I like the game enough to do everything in it) while I've taken a break from DMC5 in the middle of Son of Sparda. I'll come back to RE2/DMC5 eventually because again, I really do like them overall.

Speaking of FromSoft, my avatar is Lewdwig. Bloodborne is my favorite game of this generation and Ludwig is my favorite boss out of FromSoft. People obviously know of the Berserk inspirations including the rape horse. I just thought it was a funny imagery to see Ludwig being perverted like the Berserk horse. It also mirrors my stance to defend the inherently innocuous nature of fiction no matter the content.

Favorite games: RE HD Remaster, Bloodborne, Dark Souls 1, Sekiro, Demon's Souls, DMC1/3, Borderlands 2 (a guilty pleasure with mods that basically fix the game), FFX/VII/VI/IV/IX/Fran's bunny butt, shoutouts to Chrono Trigger, Cross/KH's OST

General stuff, I like RPGs, hack'n'slash, and fighting games generally even though it's been a while since I played one. I had an NES/N64 and grew up on Playstation (PS2 is my favorite console), but the many problems of PS4 and Sony has finally pushed me to play on PC this generation. For PC gaming, I only have a laptop (which is a great compromise between console and PC. Only problem is the price for portability), but I'll probably build a desktop one day. If there's another FromSoft exclusive on future PS systems, then I'll consider it on sale. Otherwise, I enjoy many of the benefits from PC too much like mods. I find it ironic that I'm joining now when PC has its own platform wars. C'est la vie, mon ami.

I'm American and like pizza/hot wings. I'm more of a thinker than a speaker, so I like to lurk on the Internet most of the time. You won't have to worry about me getting in the way. If you're frustrated at how long this post is, then I brought a peace offering: some screenshots and my favorite moment in my first playthrough of Sekiro.

wnNKIRr.png

5mtA2VC.png

xQU5fvG.png

Fo9VucP.png

5sJD4XI.png

p2KbR0K.png

eD9heWD.png

I have more here: imgur.com/a/lNwGcbB

Last edited:
Hey everyone. I used to game a long time ago, stopped gaming when I went to college and just recently got back into gaming. My favorite game series are Valkyria Chronicles and Gears of War

rg937

Neophyte
Bonjourno!

giphy.gif

Hey, I just posted and this is crazy, But here's my profile, so follow me maybe.

I like games, you like games. Happy to be here!

Last edited:

God Enel

Hey what is cooking NeoGAF threaders, I am a fighting game junkie and recovering junk tech addict. I often fiddle with things until I break them, mostly said crap devices and other distracting current gen knick knacks. I am a native ATLien and am a proud co-founder of ‘FinalRound’ which is now the oldest fighting game tournament in the world (held here in Atlanta each year). I look forward to asking a lot of questions that the universe cannot generally provide an answer for. Cheers ^_^

So which fighting game(s) are you playing?

Im not into fighting games that much anymore, back in the days I loved to play tekken 4 on ps2. I was playing it for hours. I wanted to getinto KI but I don’t have that much time to invest into it.
Though I think Killer instinct is the best fighting game of the gen (don’t know how the last season of it was)

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Hi All

Not really new here, I think my original NeoGAF account is from 2006 but was banned when free speech became a luxury only some could afford here. Glad to see things seem to have evolved for the better.

I was a heavy contributor in the MovieGAF community, sad to see most of the posters that made those threads what they were, have migrated to the other site. I love indie, cult, sci fi and horror film.

Dabbled a bit in Opa Ages and other forums but decided to come home at last ;)

My other main interests are: European comics and graphic novels, Japanese video games, and modern boardgames / card games.

Thanks for having me :)

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Hi All

Not really new here, I think my original NeoGAF account is from 2006 but was banned when free speech became a luxury only some could afford here. Glad to see things seem to have evolved for the better.

I was a heavy contributor in the MovieGAF community, sad to see most of the posters that made those threads what they were, have migrated to the other site. I love indie, cult, sci fi and horror film.

My other main interests are: European comics and graphic novels, Japanese video games, and modern boardgames / card games.

Welcome back!

Mista

Banned
Hi All

Welcome back mate. Always good to have the old solid people again :)

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Hi All

Welcome back. Let me know if you'd like to recover your original account, can generally be sorted out.

Top Bottom