• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new Mobile Firefox GUI is garbage

Just for the simple things in a web browser. . .quick to open a new tab, change tabs, access bookmarks, access history, and go to commonly visited and recently visited webpages this is garbage. They took all that away to streamline the UI and it is horrible.

Before, to open a new tab you tapped the + icon and then could immediately tap again because the "New Tab" button appeared exactly where the + icon was. Now, you have to shift down to the bottom right corner of the screen to hit another button. I almost always have a PiP YouTube vid playing in that corner that blocks the button, but shifting is idiotic anyway. If something needs two clicks to access, logical GUI says the clicks should be as close as possible to each other.

And then on the new tab you just have tiny icons that are difficult to add and unable to be customized or moved for quick links. Smaller icons means more difficult to use - GUI 101 - and that is especially true on an imprecise interface like touchscreens. Gone are the buttons at the top of the new tab to quickly access bookmarks and history - now those are hidden in the menu.

Speaking of the menu, they left the forward button at the top of the screen took out the back button - now you have to use the physical button on your phone, if you have it. Navigating pages is now done from opposite ends of the device. And for those that do have a back button, they plan to let you hold it to bring up some quick menu later. That won't be fiddly at all, or interfere with other functions I already assigned to that button.

Worst of all, they removed even more ability to use add-ons and lowered access to them by one menu level, and NoScript has been glitchy and has taken 30 sec to show the script list. If they are curating add-ons, why do the ones they presumably wrote the update around not work? And why make me have to go through another menu for my white listing? Stupid.

But at least Master Password is now Primary Password, because all those living slaves were triggered by it.

The one good thing is it now has a built-in dark mode, but even then that appears to be due to removing customizability of a necessary feature on phones to prevent burn-in.

Sigh.

Last edited:
Top Bottom