• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The most American game ever made (by Japanese devs) Metal Wolf Chaos. Pure patriotic insanity for the 4th...and other "american games"

VGEsoterica

There must be something with Japanese fascination with American culture that leads to games like Metal Wolf Chaos or Metal Gear Solid...because some of the most "American" games come straight out of Japan...and they are just wild

But Metal Wolf Chaos beats them all and the funniest part is it shows America in decline dealing with the effects of a fracturing in society...and it takes place only a few years from our current date! It's like the developers KNEW what we had coming...perhaps

and the best part is From Software developed it so its basically Armored Core with way more over the top WWE style patriotism running throughout the entire game....and also a metric crap ton of mechs.

But seriously...nothing is better for gaming on this date than Metal Wolf Chaos...but that got me thinking GAF. What other games just scream in eagle "America" over and over again

I'd say Bioshock...for all the right and wrong reasons!

Spaceman292

Banned
Bunch of attractive teens need to stop demons from committing school shootings
yyYJsjA.jpg

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
There must be something with Japanese fascination with American culture that leads to games like Metal Wolf Chaos or Metal Gear Solid...because some of the most "American" games come straight out of Japan...and they are just wild

But Metal Wolf Chaos beats them all and the funniest part is it shows America in decline dealing with the effects of a fracturing in society...and it takes place only a few years from our current date! It's like the developers KNEW what we had coming...perhaps

and the best part is From Software developed it so its basically Armored Core with way more over the top WWE style patriotism running throughout the entire game....and also a metric crap ton of mechs.

But seriously...nothing is better for gaming on this date than Metal Wolf Chaos...but that got me thinking GAF. What other games just scream in eagle "America" over and over again

Liberty or Death by Koei. I remember this on MS-DS but it was ported SEGA & Nintendo 3rd gen consoles and I believe Koei even pushed certain ports into the 4th gen too.

Maybe not as exciting as those in OP
G4usjVT.jpg

Cw2b4bk.jpg

M2pxqfK.gif

Unknown?

Liberty or Death by Koei. I remember this on MS-DS but it was ported SEGA & Nintendo 3rd gen consoles and I believe Koei even pushed certain ports into the 4th gen too.

G4usjVT.jpg

Cw2b4bk.jpg

M2pxqfK.gif
Close to New Hampshire's state motto! "Live Free or Die!"

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Haven’t seen this one in forever
Koei was certainly allowing it to get ported enough. Had like a 7-year run. But, these were in a large stack of floppies I had for my old Packard Bell back in the day. On a console...these aren't quite the same. Nothing ground breaking but designed by Stieg Hedlund. The actual production by Koei was all in Japan. So, not an entire Japanese concept like OP but they had a large role in producing this too.
Close to New Hampshire's state motto! "Live Free or Die!"
Sounds like it but it's from Patrick Henry's line/book, "Give me liberty, or give me death."

stickkidsam

My fellow Americans; this day we remember the fights our forefathers fought. We remember the dreams they left behind. We give thanks for their sacrifice with big n’ flashy ‘splosions!

So on this most excellent and colorful of days, with your flag billowing in the wind, remind yourself of this:

Don’t be the America that Americans believe themselves to be; be the America that Japan believes Americans are!

Happy 4th everybody!

Just gonna drop this gem here…

VGEsoterica

My fellow Americans; this day we remember the fights our forefathers fought. We remember the dreams they left behind. We give thanks for their sacrifice with big n’ flashy ‘splosions!

So on this most excellent and colorful of days, with your flag billowing in the wind, remind yourself of this:

Don’t be the America that Americans believe themselves to be; be the America that Japan believes Americans are!

Happy 4th everybody!

Just gonna drop this gem here…
Just make sure nobody loses any fingers today. Hand surgeons are gonna have a busy evening

Krathoon

Yes. A remastered version is on Steam. Good old Devolver Digital.

Anyone have a list of classic Devolver games?

Last edited:

Thanks OP I just bought this after finding on sale right now. I only wish that instead of rated T FOR TEEN it was rated A FOR AMERICANS ONLY. Happy fourth, suck it commies!!

As for what other games scream Amurica... I recently played Earth Defense Force 5 on psn and it was hilarious. The motivation of the troops against aliens, with their random yelling and slogans, just pure japanese americana.

Bioshock is more like a critique of Americana though, it uses our culture to make a statement. Not sure I'm a huge fan of Ken Levine!

Last edited:

VGEsoterica

Thanks OP I just bought this after finding on sale right now. I only wish that instead of rated T FOR TEEN it was rated A FOR AMERICANS ONLY. Happy fourth, suck it commies!!

As for what other games scream Amurica... I recently played Earth Defense Force 5 on psn and it was hilarious. The motivation of the troops against aliens, with their random yelling and slogans, just pure japanese americana.

Bioshock is more like a critique of Americana though, it uses our culture to make a statement. Not sure I'm a huge fan of Ken Levine!

“Rated A for Americans” 😂

MrA

Banned
I'd like a Dynasty Warriors spinoff called Freedom Warriors where you play the founding fathers, destroying King George's army.
Fortunately for you the pre manga already
OC-Japanese-American-history-3.jpg

Thats right father George punches tigers in the face

The conduit 2s ending was super awesome too

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

G4usjVT.jpg

Cw2b4bk.jpg
Just for fun, here's what ChatGPT evaluates George Washington to on a 100 point scale in the shoes of a military historian advising a video game:

zsWQrxh.png

_Ex_

It's a great game. I beat the PS4 version not too long ago.
dang-ol-robots.png

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Just for fun, here's what ChatGPT evaluates George Washington to on a 100 point scale in the shoes of a military historian advising a video game:

zsWQrxh.png
Almost like this set Washington up for a sequel tactical RPG. So, he'll probably not be the front runner given that 75 on Tactics. ChatCPT could likely rewrite many things for these older DOS games.

Stop Skeletons From Fighting (fka Happy Video Game Nerd) had another great video on Metal Wolf Chaos:

I also love seeing Japan's portrayals of the USA in gaming, especially in the Metal Gear Solid series (that's my answer for favorite portrayal).

Top Bottom