• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The MCU wouldn't have worked without Tony Stark, change my mind

pramod

Banned
Tony (Iron Man) and RDJ has always been the protagonist of the MCU. We see the MCU through his eyes. His journey is basically the main storyline of the MCU. The reason that we are able to accept the existence of Gods of Thunder, aliens, sorcerers, and Spider-men, is because he does. The MCU would not have worked without him, he played the role of hero, narrator, and was its emotional center. Some might argue that Cap was the main character of the MCU but I don't see how, The reason that we can latch on to Tony and as a result the rest of the MCU is that he was a scientific genius. It's as if you make a movie about Einstein who encounters all these fantastic unexplainable things but he makes it believable for us because we trust his intellect. Anyway sorry maybe my rambling don't make much sense. But I guess what I'm trying to say is without Stark and RDJ, the producers of the MCU probably wouldn't have been able to pull off all the things they did.

Sure.

I think they did a perfect job starting with "realistic" stuff, and then expanding to the crazier and crazier things in the Marvel Universe.. but did so in such a slow, methodical way, that it was "believable" the whole time. I never would have thought they could have pulled that off. RDJ/Iron Man was absolutely crucial to establishing the realistic/grounded tone that made all the rest possible.

I agree he's the glue that's held it altogether

He definitely is the spark that ignited all this

I actually view iron Man 1 as in its own universe separate from the mcu

The charisma rdj brings with that character is $$$$$$

they'd still slap his face, mention his name, whatever on anything if they could

They put him in the Spiderman movie

But of course rdj has aged and with that it doesn't work as well but they've milked all they can

Still I can see them bringing him back in some surprise hyped up way to bring in some surprise blockbuster $$$$$$

ExpandKong

Banned
Isn't this common knowledge? It's why RDJ was paid far more than the rest of the cast.

I hadn't heard that but it doesn't surprise me.

Yeah I gotta say RDJ really held things together here for me (and to a lesser extent Chris Evans).

I like Spider-Man just as much as anybody but with Tony gone I'm already tuned out on the MCU in general. Will probably check out Guardians 3 whenever it happens but nothing else on the horizon sounds all that appealing to me, and quite a few people I've talked to IRL are in the same boat. Though my wife wants to watch the Loki series when it comes out. What can I say, she likes greasy weirdos. 🤷‍♂️

I'd be shocked if anyone didn't agree.

More importantly they got the right actor for the part. RDJ was someone who was willing to become an ambassador for the MCU over the course of his time play Tony.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Isn't this common knowledge? It's why RDJ was paid far more than the rest of the cast.

His big pay day was Marvel Studio's fuck up by agreeing to pay him residuals for MCU movies he shows up in. That's where he got all his money. None of the actors after him got that deal.

He actually got paid less than Terrence Howard in Iron Man 1 lol.

I agree he's the glue that's held it altogether

He definitely is the spark that ignited all this

I actually view iron Man 1 as in its own universe separate from the mcu

The charisma rdj brings with that character is $$$$$$

they'd still slap his face, mention his name, whatever on anything if they could

They put him in the Spiderman movie

But of course rdj has aged and with that it doesn't work as well but they've milked all they can

Still I can see them bringing him back in some surprise hyped up way to bring in some surprise blockbuster $$$$$$
Maybe as his daughters AI? It would be a nice come back role for Phase 5.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Iron Man is great, you go back to before the Avengers movies and Iron Man was your chance to see a quality Super Hero film.

Why would anyone change your mind? It's not an unusual or unpopular opinion. It's common sense and what most agree.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
Ben Affleck as Daredevil is the real catalyst. RDJ wishes he had the brilliance to get his wife in the movie with him so that their "amazing chemistry" would shine brightly on the big screen!

S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
I built a time machine and was able to alter the reality we know so that the MCU played out differently.
Tony Stark ain't all that, it turns out.

Or....
Was the 'normal' timeline of events that it was attempted without him and wasn't as successful, so i influenced things to become the reality we are aware of??
🤔🤔

bitbydeath

Ironman and Cap kept the movies grounded, without them that really only leaves Spider-Man to carry everything and I guess to some degree Star-Lord.

The rest are either not human/realistic enough (Dr Strange/Hulk) or are just boring. (Hawkeye).

Gargus

Banned
It's a fictional story so it can be written any number of ways. It just happened to start with iron man. Could just as easily been started with another tent pole character like spiderman, or captain America. All you need is a good writer and some planning and it could work a dozen different ways.

Mato

I find the Iron Man films to be really dull and consider them some of the weakest in the MCU which is already boring as it is. The actor looks ridiculous trying to play the hero considering his stature.

sol_bad

We honestly need a time travel machine to know if this is true. Because the first film released and did so well the MCU was built around him.
But if Captain America or Thor were the first films and did just as well, I'd assume the MCU would have been built around them. Imagining of course that their first films were different to what we actually got.

For me personally, I thought that all of their first films were just OK at the time. It wasn't until Avengers came out that I rewatched them and got into comics again that I started loving the first films.

It doesn't work for me and part of why is because everything feels built around Iron Man, even movies after Endgame like Far From Home are still telling stories that can't exist divorced from Tony Stark. It fits the general theme of the movies being incredibly samey and pedestrian, though.

ExpandKong

Banned
It doesn't work for me and part of why is because everything feels built around Iron Man, even movies after Endgame like Far From Home are still telling stories that can't exist divorced from Tony Stark. It fits the general theme of the movies being incredibly samey and pedestrian, though.

Yeah it’s pretty funny how both of Spider-Man’s MCU villains have just been dudes Tony Stark pissed off.

Top Bottom