• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Pt II |OT| Oh Ellie...I think they should be terrified of you

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Good storytelling, in my opinion, hinges on being able to invoke an emotional response from an audience rather than giving the audience what it wants. Apart from its science-fiction elements, this game is about circumstantial realism, which means that the circumstances that its characters find themselves in aren't always in their control and aren't always what they'd like, such as the loss of a loved one. In this regard, the game is brilliant.

ksdixon

I mean, you can cling religiously to your headcanon, I'm afraid you're still very wrong. The fact that you're convinced Joel was under the impression the cure was pretty much a lie, but at no point ever expressed it to Marlene, like for instance in the carpark of the hospital as a pretty fucking good reason for them not to kill Ellie when Marlene is bargaining with him really shows how your logic falls apart. At no point in the game does Joel hesitate to argue a point, he does it was Tess, he does it with Ellie. Guy is pretty fucking shouty when he's pissed and he's pretty pissed at the Fireflies. The idea that Joel thinks the cure is a fantasy and whe he's got Marlene in front of him saying that he needs to hand over Ellie to die for this cure he doesn't throw that in her face is just dumb.

You're also just ignoring the biggest part of this, and I know you're well aboard the "HUH DUH CUCKMANN BAD" train, but the guy wrote both games. The fact the author sees it as being the same as many others in this thread saying you're wrong really puts you on shaky ground.

I'm tired, but am I misunderstanding you?

Part of the point why people are mad is because in TLOU1 Joel finds diary pages or audio logs in the hospital to say that there were other immune people, they were operated on, and the dipshit fireflies couldn't manufactor a cure from it. Not to mention that the fireflies were getting wiped out by us military and running super low on weapons and food anyway. With no guarantee of a cure, and more historical evidence pointing away from it, it'd be sacrificing Ellie for nothing, so he saved her. Of course he did, that's the logical thing to do even before you start adding-in the losing Sarah factor.

Then TLOU2 comes along and tries to paint Joel as a bad man who regrets his choice. Completely pulls that out of its own ass to rewrite the first game. No thanks, Neil.

Keihart

Part of the point why people are mad is because in TLOU1 Joel finds diary pages or audio logs in the hospital to say that there were other immune people, they were operated on, and the dipshit fireflies couldn't manufactor a cure from it. Not to mention that the fireflies were getting wiped out by us military and running super low on weapons and food anyway. With no guarantee of a cure, and more historical evidence pointing away from it, it'd be sacrificing Ellie for nothing, so he saved her. Of course he did, that's the logical thing to do even before you start adding-in the losing Sarah factor.

Then TLOU2 comes along and tries to paint Joel as a bad man who regrets his choice. Completely pulls that out of its own ass to rewrite the first game. No thanks, Neil.
Even if the cure wasn't possible due to the ineptitude of the Fireflies, the duality of Joel's actions were always hinted at. Joel feels guilt about it until the end and we even have a long walk after Ellie decides that she wants to do it. Because for her, all the killing and her surviving needs to mean something. The ending it's even a punctuation about the fact that both Ellie and Joel know what has been sacrificed, even if not out loud. Joel arguments that, whatever you do and whatever happens, you just have to keep living. That's what Joel learns and tries to transmit Ellie.

Joel might not be a monster in everyone eyes, but Joel it's a monster in his own eyes, he sees himself as a monster.

ksdixon

She’s a healthy girl for sure, very easy on the eyes. Love it.

Difference with vault is it’s used contextually, just like squeezing through tight spaces. Jump is always there, contextual or not.

I’m just finding a need for quick brick/bottle button (or being able to assign Molotovs/grenades/traps to it) far more than I am needing to jump whenever I want. Engagements are always under pressure and wasted time is punished severely. It may seem like throwables are quick to select and use, and they are, but when turning a corner and coming face to face with an unexpected enemy, the extra one to two seconds it takes to select and toss them is enough to take a shot, if not two.

Why are you attempting to throw molly's in such close quarter encounters anyways? In Factions MP that would lead to you setting yourself on fire A LOT.

go into the control settings from the in-game pause menu. Turn on "melee whilst aiming". That will allow you to press melee and quickly throw a punch if you're aiming and run out of bullets, just like TLOU1 did. That's a lot safer for a panicked scramble maneuver, if you ask me.

Note that you will have to remap the aim gun shoulder switch button from square, but that action was R2 (PS4) or R1 (PS3) on TLOU1 anyway.

Last edited:

ksdixon

Even if the cure wasn't possible due to the ineptitude of the Fireflies, the duality of Joel's actions were always hinted at. Joel feels guilt about it until the end and we even have a long walk after Ellie decides that she wants to do it. Because for her, all the killing and her surviving needs to mean something. The ending it's even a punctuation about the fact that both Ellie and Joel know what has been sacrificed, even if not out loud. Joel arguments that, whatever you do and whatever happens, you just have to keep living. That's what Joel learns and tries to transmit Ellie.

Joel might not be a monster in everyone eyes, but Joel it's a monster in his own eyes, he sees himself as a monster.

I don't believe Joel to view himself as a monster in TLOU1 at all. Not until TLOU2 hits, with its attempts to retcon the first game. Ellie, Joel and Tommy all act like different characters in TLOU2 anyway, compared with their TLOU1 counterparts.

Another thing to note about Ellie being up for the surgery... Not once does Ellie have the slightest inclination that 1. The surgery will kill her. 2. There's been other attempts before her. Had the fireflies given her this information and not rushed to prep an unconscious girl into fatal surgery, I'm sure a 14 year old girl would have at least had some 2nd thoughts.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

I didnt get that impression tbh. Tommy even tells Joel is that he would've done the same. Most players sympathize with Joel's actions; the game just acknowledges it was morally ambiguous.

Collin

Banned
This game made some really bold and unique narrative choices. I’m really impressed with its complexity and nuance.

It seems the review bombing seems to be from hearing the leaks and assuming the game has some sjw agenda? To those people, seriously fuck you. I hate extreme leftist shit as much as anyone with a brain but this game does NOT pander to that. It is so much smarter and deeper than that and those elements are seamlessly integrated are are NOT the whole focus of the story, you little autistic cunts. You’re gonna scare game developers back into regressive stories where the big strong dude saves the princess. Do you seriously have no interest in experimenting with narrative format? If narratives never did that, we’d still be watching formulaic little Wizard of Oz clones or fucking whatever you dipshits.

Don’t get me wrong either, I’ll hear someone out if they have genuine well-thought criticism to the story but I’ve searched for it all over the internet for the last few hours and the all criticisms i’ve found sound like they’re written by an 8th grader who never even played it.

(just checked trophies, 1.9% of people have actually beaten the game, yet metacritic has received a record 24,000 user reviews. Yeah, those numbers don’t add up.)

Last edited:
I actually thing the game gets way better in the second half both narratively and gameplay wise - but it also feels slightly manipulative since it’s essentially a version of the first game and it’s arc - even plays similarly

ToadMan

It seems the review bombing seems to be from hearing the leaks and assuming the game has some sjw agenda? To those people, seriously fuck you. I hate extreme leftist shit as much as anyone with a brain but this game does NOT pander to that.

I'm gonna go further than that. As far as I can tell not only is not a game promoting an SJW agenda, I'd say it is specifically advocating the against that agenda.

In this game there are a lot of female characters and non-white males portrayed often in positions of power. And everything is screwed up - the most despicable acts in the game are not done by white men.

The men given character development in this game (i.e. not the generic enemies) - specifically white men - are in fact the "quiet" heroes. They're all stoic, loyal and less about the violence than the various other characters. Those white guys are the voice of reason and moderation.

If anything this to me is jarring. About 2/3rds of the way through the game I'd guess and so far I'm shocked by the fact all the bad shit happening seems be down to non-white males... the lack of white men portrayed in a negative light is the standout thing to me - it's more like anti-SJW propaganda at this stage lol.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
About the ending of the game:

Ellie doesn't kill Abby at the end because upon experiencing flashbacks of Joel, she realizes what Abby's father must have meant to Abby. Joel killed Abby's father, which drove Abby to kill Joel; as much as Ellie misses Joel, she understands why Abby killed him and accepts it.

EDIT:

I haven't reached the ending myself, but I spoiled it for myself last week, LOL.

Last edited:

Keihart

I don't believe Joel to view himself as a monster in TLOU1 at all. Not until TLOU2 hits, with its attempts to retcon the first game. Ellie, Joel and Tommy all act like different characters in TLOU2 anyway, compared with their TLOU1 counterparts.

Another thing to note about Ellie being up for the surgery... Not once does Ellie have the slightest inclination that 1. The surgery will kill her. 2. There's been other attempts before her. Had the fireflies given her this information and not rushed to prep an unconscious girl into fatal surgery, I'm sure a 14 year old girl would have at least had some 2nd thoughts.
maybe you need to play TLoU1 again, the whole final chapter it's about Ellie's and Joel guilt.
Joel since the start expresses that he doesn't see himself as a good guy and has done shit that he is ashamed of several times just to keep living.
Ellie basically tells Joel that she didn't wanted to be saved in the final cut scene when she talks about how she go bit, she was ready to die since then.

3uGBTuR.jpg

Why there's Hiragana on my game?
help?

TissueBox

Upon starting the game I was aware of two supposed major spoilers. One of them turned out right. The other, however, was something that I at first went into thinking was for sure going to be just as right.

But then a good three to five opinions I came across said that they knew the leaks and were still deeply surprised -- and that many of the leaks, even, weren't true.

So then I came to the conclusion that it was possible this supposed second spoiler wasn't true -- because it did seem on the nose. It woulda been amazing, and possibly pretentious as hell if it came dead on arrival and with flat execution, but also quite daring. But as I played the game, it seemed more and more clear that that spoiler was probably just a warped truth, just like another more minor one I'd read. That one had also shown up in the game, yes, but not in the exact way the original said spoiler described.

However, as even more time passes on in my 'ol playthrough, it starts to grind on me that this spoiler may not just be true or false, but that it addresses a major component of the game's story's first half, one that is the Big Surprise, or the Climactic Reveal that everything these few hours after the opening has been seemingly leading up to. In which case, if the spoiler is in fact true, and a lot of the narrative is weighing on it, then, well, it's a real bummer because that means all of these already deliberately paced story beats are simply going somewhere that I already, unfortunately, know.

So I'm hoping that the spoiler wasn't true, just to have an element of surprise that justifies all of that very lax rising action, or is true, but isn't the biggest thing up the game's sleeve. Surely, the game must be doing something even more polarizing than that. Idk, we'll burn that bridge when we get to the thing.

In any case, I still love watching Ellie move as we control her. The animations and graphical finesse make the world feel so much more lifelike than near any AAA game out there. It's still outclassed by RDRII, but in a playing-sense, TLOUPII is a very good balance. Though the length it takes Ellie to do some simple tasks like swapping a weapon or applying a health kit is frustrating -- it's about a good 3 seconds max, at times, and that is no accident, sure. But in this case, because we're utilizing an interface to trigger these actions, it just makes it feel like purposely imposed input lag on a menu, for cryin' out loud.

The problem of course is apparent mostly in high-octane shootouts and cat-and-mouse scenarios. During stealth application, it's fiine, just fiine. But when you're trying to just pick a pistol, and you got who knows how many jerkwads shooting at you, it becomes a lifetime when Ellie first has to stand there, tuck the medkit away, rummage for her gun, then pull it out, yadda ya.

In any case, the combat, when pulled off without a hitch, can supply some of the most satisfactorily tense and gritty mudslingin' this gen so far. Quite enjoy running for my life amidst a ricocheting rain of bullets, Bonnie.

Last edited:

What?
Did you play the game or not?

GymWolf

Gold Member
Guys remember to put on max both fov and camera distance from the accessibility options, it is less suffocating that way.

And don't be scared to lose something in the big open area at the begin, the explorable places are less than you think (around 15 between big and small) and you can only lose one weapon or the big weapons second holster, use a guide to find everything if you are that scared but it's very hard to miss these 2 things.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
Part of the point why people are mad is because in TLOU1 Joel finds diary pages or audio logs in the hospital to say that there were other immune people, they were operated on, and the dipshit fireflies couldn't manufactor a cure from it.
No. This is a really strange misunderstanding people have about the game. The surgeon's recording outright says that he's never seen anything like Ellie's case.

April 28th. Marlene was right. The girl's infection is like nothing I've ever seen. The cause of her immunity is uncertain. As we've seen in all past cases, the antigenic titers of the patient's Cordyceps remain high in both the serum and the cerebrospinal fluid. Blood cultures taken from the patient rapidly grow Cordyceps in fungal-media in the lab... however white blood cell lines, including percentages and absolute-counts, are completely normal. There is no elevation of pro-inflammatory cytokines, and an MRI of the brain shows no evidence of fungal-growth in the limbic regions, which would normally accompany the prodrome of aggression in infected patients.

We must find a way to replicate this state under laboratory conditions. We're about to hit a milestone in human history equal to the discovery of penicillin. After years of wandering in circles, we're about to come home, make a difference, and bring the human race back into control of its own destiny. All of our sacrifices and the hundreds of men and women who've bled for this cause, or worse, will not be in vain.
This part: "As we've seen in all past cases, the antigenic titers of the patient's Cordyceps remain high in both the serum and the cerebrospinal fluid." is referring to normal infected because in infected Cordyceps remains high in both the serum and the cerebrospinal fluid! That's literally it, there are no "others", Ellie is the first, 'like nothing he's ever seen'. It's worth pointing out that this recording tells us everything we need to know about Ellie, like the fact she isn't actually immune and why they're willing to kill her.

You can definitely ask what the Fireflies could have done with the Cordyceps, but that's irrelevant to the moment Joel decided to save Ellie. Again, people are letting 7 years of fan theories tar their view of the games.

Shrap

I've just started the game and I am enjoying it. It looks amazing and plays smoothly. There is a bit of a jarring problem though - the dialogue can get really cringeworthy. A couple of early examples - the "I don't want to talk to that bigot" and "bigot sandwich" lines - they are a condescending way of the game telling you how to feel about a character instead of allowing the character to display it themselves. Oh and the eyeroll inducing "wanna fuck em up?" line Dina delivers before a snowball fight with kids. Really lame edgy line.

I am hoping as things ramp up this goes away. It doesn't match up with the writing or tone of the first game.

Keihart

I've just started the game and I am enjoying it. It looks amazing and plays smoothly. There is a bit of a jarring problem though - the dialogue can get really cringeworthy. A couple of early examples - the "I don't want to talk to that bigot" and "bigot sandwich" lines - they are a condescending way of the game telling you how to feel about a character instead of allowing the character to display it themselves. Oh and the eyeroll inducing "wanna fuck em up?" line Dina delivers before a snowball fight with kids. Really lame edgy line.

I am hoping as things ramp up this goes away. It doesn't match up with the writing or tone of the first game.
I honestly thought that the intention of making Ellie calling it bigot sandwiches and not accepting the apology it's just to show us how much she can hold gripes. We are told basically by the other characters that the mature thing to do it's to let it go since the old man is making a gesture making Ellie look immature. Cringy no doubt tho.

rofif

Banned

Yeah. The way they act in 2 is weird. And they try to make bad guys look good but they are still monsters.... Looks like very forced "everyone is good guy" from their perspective.., which sucks. And the weed had me cringing hard. The big nose is this dumb but Ellie? I don't believe it. They try to make it good guys into monsters which but they still have good reasons... And are clearly good
Edit: I am only 5 hours in.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
lol Druckmann just outright calling people out on their retarded shit:

Yeah, the apparent "self insert" is actually modeled by a real person just like nearly every other character in the game. Who could have foreseen this?! People are fucking dumb.

Shrap

I honestly thought that the intention of making Ellie calling it bigot sandwiches and not accepting the apology it's just to show us how much she can hold gripes. We are told basically by the other characters that the mature thing to do it's to let it go since the old man is making a gesture making Ellie look immature. Cringy no doubt tho.
Yeah, that makes sense and to be fair I think the only cringy dialogue I've heard so far has been from Ellie/Dina which tells me it's more about writers as usual not knowing how to write teenagers/young people without trying too hard.

The rest has been great.

Vroadstar

lol Druckmann just outright calling people out on their retarded shit:

Yeah, the apparent "self insert" is actually modeled by a real person just like nearly every other character in the game. Who could have foreseen this?! People are fucking dumb.

He's the same guy who played Chapo? damn, with the beard and all, did not recognize him.

Geki-D

Banned
He's the same guy who played Chapo? damn, with the beard and all, did not recognize him.
Yeah, it's really odd, he looks really different in Narcos than he does in real life:
HCO3EZDTGJDUJISJY34IZHHVUY.jpg
MV5BMTYwMzg2MDAwOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMjk5ODk4NDE@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,748,1000_AL_.jpg

I think it's because he actually holds his jaw out in the show to have a more round face just to look more like the real Chapo:
Alejandro-Edda.png

Pretty fucking dedicated to the role.

Oh sorry, I posted the wrong image of him IRL, of course I mean:
Neil_Druckmann_SDCC_2015.jpg

:messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: Man, people will believe fucking anything about this game just to hate on this guy, really is amazing.

Last edited:

Strategize

This literally straight up doesn't exist. It's crazy how many people I've heard say that, yet it's a lie. And no, he doesn't regret it, play the fucking game please.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

I have a feeling this one is gonna outstay its welcome. Looting these big areas gets to be a real chore
There's one big area in the game, but not as as big as the "open world" map from Uncharted Lost Legacy. In most levels you mostly explore single buildings encountered along the way and even the ones with some environmental puzzles don't take longer than a few minutes for you to loot them. Personally I didn't find this to be a chore. In fact I enjoyed searching for loot and collectibles.

Last edited:

skneogaf

Some of the graphics in this game are beyond anything I've seen before.

You can really tell the game has been in development for a very long time as the details are outrageous.

I think the trees, plants and green stuff are head and shoulders above any game I've seen.

I wasn't planning on buying a ps5 till god of war 2 comes out but if they announced this is getting an update or a remastered then I'll have to just do I can be blown away by the graphics even more.

Mypmarlo

Banned
When the whole industry is killing it self with woke themes
One man took upon him self to write realistic LGBT women character and u people hating it!
Ellie is Just a sad, violent, disturbing cunt, the way we all know lesbians are.
Thank you Druckman for standing on a side of the truth!

Keihart

When the whole industry is killing it self with woke themes
One man took upon him self to write realistic LGBT women character and u people hating it!
Ellie is Just a sad, violent, disturbing cunt, the way we all know lesbians are.
Thank you Druckman for standing on a side of the truth!
Are you Shadow the hedgehog?

Roufianos

I mean....for women like that in real lofe are they sjw...?

How many women realistically look like that in real life? Maybe a few body builders and that's about it. There's no women even close to that level of henchness in my gym and we have 100s of members.

Imagine how difficult it would be to get that big or maintain in a post apocalyptic world. Has she got a private gym set up somewhere? Is she eating 5 dears a day?

Clearly a pro-trans message and an attempt to blur men and women's physique.

Last edited:
Some of the graphics in this game are beyond anything I've seen before.

You can really tell the game has been in development for a very long time as the details are outrageous.

I think the trees, plants and green stuff are head and shoulders above any game I've seen.

I wasn't planning on buying a ps5 till god of war 2 comes out but if they announced this is getting an update or a remastered then I'll have to just do I can be blown away by the graphics even more.
Yeah that small forest area after the prologue is breathtaking!

JimiNutz

Banned

I was outraged when she gave away her steak sandwich.

I can forgive everything else she does in the game, I'd probably do a lot of the stuff she ends up doing myself if I'm honest, but I'd never give away a perfectly good steak sandwich.

scalman

Seems people just have so many own problems and they bring it to game then its game fault for being this or that. Its youf own problem, game is best from story point or gameplay, stealth is amazing , now i could not play ac stealth style anymore...

evanft

How many women realistically look like that in real life? Maybe a few body builders and that's about it. There's no women even close to that level of henchness in my gym and we have 100s of members.

Imagine how difficult it would be to get that big or maintain in a post apocalyptic world. Has she got a private gym set up somewhere? Is she eating 5 dears a day?

Clearly a pro-trans message and an attempt to blur men and women's physique.

Being able to see people through walls: I sleep

Women with muscles: REAL SHIT

carlosrox

Banned
I play very slow so I'm taking like double or triple the amount of time it does to get anywhere so I'm still way early but man is this way too easy/forgiving so far.

Think I'm putting up the difficulty or the tension and challenge just won't be there.

Playing this on normal when I've done Grounded already in 1 is probably a mistake.

Last edited:

Roufianos

Being able to see people through walls: I sleep

Women with muscles: REAL SHIT

I actually disabled listening mode every time I played the first game. Dumb as hell.

And this isn't just a woman with muscles. By female standards, she's infinately more ripped than someone like Henry Cavill, makes zero sense.

Not a game breaker or anything, just think it's a futile attempt at countering at trying to counter some uncomfortable biological realities for the woke mob.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
I was liking it before, I'm loving it now.

I'll enjoy a grounded play through even more. The actual combat is the most cinematic of any game I've ever played. Everything feels so dynamic and realistic.

Good AI is actually this games best feature (yes I'm sure it trips up occasionally but damn).

Geki-D

Banned
Playing this on normal when I've done Grounded already in 1 is probably a mistake.
Survivor in this is more bearable because you can actually stealth kill all clickers now whereas you needed shivs in the first game. Though the animation is made crazy slow on purpose so you have to think about when you're going to do it. Human enemies are crack shots, though.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
I was liking it before, I'm loving it now.

I'll enjoy a grounded play through even more. The actual combat is the most cinematic of any game I've ever played. Everything feels so dynamic and realistic.

Good AI is actually this games best feature (yes I'm sure it trips up occasionally but damn).

Yeah the combat looks incredibly cinematic and the brilliant animations and sound design really make the combat feel great as well.

I really hope that Factions 2 is coming soon and that the combat looks and feels as good as it does here.

Top Bottom