• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us' autosave has a glitch. Read if you're playing. [Apparently fixed]

RobbieH

If you don't pick a save slot when you start a new game it says "Auto-save will be disabled until you manually save. Start a new game without saving?"

Yeah, I'm out until they fix this.

pa22word

No, I mean step by step from the beginning, for those of us without the game.
Start a new game. After it auto saves once (it tells you when it last autosaved from the pause menu), quit back to the main menu and start a new game. When it asks you to pick a save slot hit circle. It wi then ask you if you want to plah without autosaves.

AKyemeni

The game uses save slots, and you pick one, but then dont oick one? Then what happens when you choose what game to load?
You are prompted that auto saving has been disabled. Once you are in the game, you can use the manual save to save your game on a slot that you want. Auto saving will be turned off. When you load a game and it asks you to select a file, press O and it will give you the same prompt. You press yes and you continue from your spot without auto saving.

Alej

Banned
You don't have to start two blocks. When the game asks you select a save file, you press O and it'll warn you that autosaving will be disabled. You press yes and the game won't auto save anymore.

I don't understand at all what i have to do to disable autosaving.
When i press start, it's generally autosaving, i wait, then i can save manually. If i do that, i have another screen "autosaving please wait...", then i can choose a file to save. If i press X on it, it save, if i press O it does not save but does not warn me that autosaving is disabled, so...?

(digital version here)

edit: ahhh it's at the moment you load/start the game, okay.

Woah. Game literally arrived ten minutes ago in the post and I was about to put it in the console before spying this thread. Talk about lucky. What I'm gathering is that the latest patch is causing this save bug. Would the best and safest option for now be to unplug my ethernet cable and not download the patch, assuming the patch isn't suppose to be fixing anything critical?

AKyemeni

I don't understand at all what i have to do to disable autosaving.
When i press start, it's generally autosaving, i wait, then i can save manually. If i do that, i have another screen "autosaving please wait...", then i can choose a file to save. If i press X on it, it save, if i press O it does not save but does not warn me that autosaving is disabled, so...?

(digital version here)
You don't do it from the pause menu. You do it from the main menu.

ys45

Maybe it was caused by a patch ? I will start the game with my console offline tonight

If this is the same version as the review copy that was sent a few weeks ago i guess the reviewers would have mentioned this on their review (i think ?)

Elixist

lost 3 hours, on reload though im not having the glitch, been manual saving every hour fingers crossed. good on you for the thread, nobody in the ot seemed to be having the issue.

Woah. Game literally arrived ten minutes ago in the post and I was about to put it in the console before spying this thread. Talk about lucky. What I'm gathering is that the latest patch is causing this save bug. Would the best and safest option for now be to unplug my ethernet cable and not download the patch, assuming the patch isn't suppose to be fixing anything critical?

People without the patch are reporting the save glitch as well.
This sucks, its been hell trying to avoid spoilers for this game.

Sethos

Banned
Post should be arriving any minute, glad I saw this thread. Thanks for the heads-up on how to disable auto-saves AKyemeni!

Jawmuncher

Not good news at all. I bought this for my dad for Father's Day. It's like the only PS3 games he's actually wanted to play. Ill have to just explain and tell him to set to manual save and just save it when he is done playing

lost 3 hours, on reload though im not having the glitch, been manual saving every hour fingers crossed. good on you for the thread, nobody in the ot seemed to be having the issue.

I saw one person complaining in the OT yesterday but figured it was an isolated case. When it happened to me today I figured it wasn't a coincidence so I decided to make a thread since my post would be burried in the OT in no time.
Looks like it's happening to pretty much everyone now. Getting the game early backfired lol.

MaxSanson

Neo Member
I am pre-patch and got this glitch!
This is bad guys, what a bummer because this game is freaking amazing
Its a good question though, how did this get past QA?

This doesn't seem isolated :(

sunnz

FUCK.
I've just gone through like 2 hours worth of the game, went to save and this crap is happening right now.

Guess I will lose the two hours, that is annoying.

syoaran

Sweet, thanks.
I wonder why didn't reviewers botice this bug as it seems to happen to pretty much everyone...

They normally get a pre-release copy which is slightly different from the release version [in most cases, it still has bugs that the team are fixing right up to submission].

People without the patch are reporting the save glitch as well.
This sucks, its been hell trying to avoid spoilers for this game.

Well, shit. Then I guess it doesn't matter if I do download it. Ok, so about turning autosave off and turning off the system if it seems like the autosave is fucking up. When I turn the game back on does that mean the issue will be fixed (Even if temporarily) or will the autosave error still persist no matter how far I get into the story? Short of just marathoning the game tonight or holding off until ND get this sorted out I'm really not sure what would be the best option right now. I'm pumped to play this now and really want to try and get into it as soon as.

cameron

If you load a new game or start a new game, it asks you whether to overwrite something or not. At that point, press o or click no. The game will warn you that autosaving will be disabled.

Guess I'll have to do this. Picking up the game in a few hours.

Man, this glitch is such a nice slap to the face.

U2NUMB

Picking my copy up tonight.. thanks for the warning. Damn seems like something that should have been caught. Hope they patch ASAP for those that do not get this info.

Hanmik

They normally get a pre-release copy which is slightly different from the release version [in most cases, it still has bugs that the team are fixing right up to submission].

it´s the normal game.. just on a promo disc.. it´s sent out once the game goes gold. Promo discs are the exact same as normal copies..

Well, shit. Then I guess it doesn't matter if I do download it. Ok, so about turning autosave off and turning off the system if it seems like the autosave is fucking up. When I turn the game back on does that mean the issue will be fixed (Even if temporarily) or will the autosave error still persist no matter how far I get into the story? Short of just marathoning the game tonight or holding off until ND get this sorted out I'm really not sure what would be the best option right now. I'm pumped to play this now and really want to try and get into it as soon as.

Things should be back to normal after restarting but either disable autosave or keep an eye on it like I said in the OP.

I have the Digital version and I got this :(

Thanks.

Hanmik

From Reddit

Apparently, the game does save even with this bug. I found a site where the people were saying that the time stamps were all screwed up. If you go to "Load Game" instead of "Continue", you'll be able to find and select the correct save point.

please someone try this..? they guys that lost everal hours..? please..?

Alej

Banned
OK guys, if you had the glitch and your copy is digital please raise your hand.

I don't raise my hand, and furthermore i have no way to deactivated autosave right now. Even by the main menu. When i load a game i have to choose a save file, if i don't i'm going back to main menu (seems logical) and if i do i'm directly to the game... So.
Well my GF is playing right now, she doesn't have any problem with autosave, nor me before her.

PaulloDEC

I had this (retail copy). Had to force-close the game, which resulted in a three-beep restart.

Luckily, once I was back in I found I'd only lost a minute or two of play.

Things should be back to normal after restarting but either disable autosave or keep an eye on it like I said in the OP.

Aight. Will download the patch regardless since it sounds like it doesn't fix/break anything further, and disable autosaving immediately. Will definitely make sure to give an update if I run into any issues even with manual saves.

Big thanks for the heads up on this. You'd saved me and hopefully others from some potential frustration.

Top Bottom