• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Kojima Games Thread

Krathoon

I have been messing around with old Kojima games.
I patched Policenauts to the English translation.

Also, playing Snatcher, which is an absurd price now.

I forgot how over the top Snatcher was.

So, lets talk about them nutty Kojima games.
I may add Suda51 games to this thread too.

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
metal gear 90s GIF

The original MGS had a massive impact on me as an 11 year old, and then death stranding a few years ago as a 32 year old, the man makes amazing video games with deep meaningful topics. He’s fecking mental but we wouldn’t have him any other way.

Amiga

Technically the original Solid Snake on the MSX was my 1st encounter with Kojima game but I didn't know English back then. Snatcher was my 1st real experience of Kojima, the story is great. Played a fan translation of Policenauts, but unfortunately the game glitched irrecoverably in the middle.

My order of best Kojima stories:

1 - Death Stranding
2- Snatcher
3- MGS
4- ZoE

Last edited:

.Pennywise

Banned
He has his time on the PS1/PS2 era with the MGS series being great games with really good gameplay and innovations.

Then he derailed so bad into its movie love and their games became an excuse for their movie long cinematics. His last game Death Stranding was a borefest for me. I think PT was something to get Kojima right back on its track but that train is long gone now,

I hope that his new game with Xbox or his Silent Hill or whatever horror game is rumored he's working on is actually a videogame instead of a movie.

Krathoon

Yeah. I think the recent English translation of Policenauts fixed things up. It was supposed to also have some graphical fixes.
It is on RomHacking.net.

Krathoon

I did manage to get the Metal Gear Solid Legacy collection working in the PS3 emulator.
I am not certain if the games are ports or emulated in the collection.

Krathoon

Snatcher for the Sega CD is like $1,300 on eBay.
That is messed up.
I noticed the Sega Saturn copies are around $44. I don't know if there is a translation patch for them.

Krathoon

There is a particular style to a Kojima game. You even see it with Snatcher.
I suspect that he has a group of developers that he normally works with.

Krathoon

The Metal Gear Solid Legacy Collection is definitely worth it. I don't know if it is expensive now. You got all the games except for Metal Gear Solid 1 on two discs.
Meta Gear Solid 1 and the VR Missions was a download.
There was a PC port of Metal Gear Solid 1. I don't know if it was good.

Edit: It sounds like the PC port left out some things. Best to play the Playstation original in an emulator.

Last edited:

Krathoon

This yahoo on Esty charging $55 for a repro manual and case for Snatcher.
Crazy. Just print out the pdf of the manual.

Krathoon

For some reason, my Sega CD emulator was not in 4:3. The game is meant to be in 4:3, dammit! None of this screen stretch crap.

He has his time on the PS1/PS2 era with the MGS series being great games with really good gameplay and innovations.

Then he derailed so bad into its movie love and their games became an excuse for their movie long cinematics. His last game Death Stranding was a borefest for me. I think PT was something to get Kojima right back on its track but that train is long gone now,

I hope that his new game with Xbox or his Silent Hill or whatever horror game is rumored he's working on is actually a videogame instead of a movie.
Kojima does gamey ass games with cutscenes breaking it up.

Death Stranding love or hate it was the most gamey of the lot

KOMANI

KOMANI
Technically the original Solid Snake on the MSX was my 1st encounter with Kojima game but I didn't know English back then. Snatcher was my 1st real experience of Kojima, the story is great. Played a fan translation of Policenauts, but unfortunately the game glitched irrecoverably in the middle.

My order of best Kojima stories:

1 - Death Stranding
2- Snatcher
3- MGS
4- ZoE
ZOE isn't a Kojima story. Neither of them.

Top Bottom