• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The "I suck at dress clothes" thread

Mistake

So, I recently decided to switch my job since it got bought out by a corporation and gave everyone a big pay cut. I've always been fine dressing up normally to go out on a nice evening, but I never had to be super professional about it until today. Usually I did business casual if that makes sense.

Well, now I have an interview set for tomorrow with Volkswagen as an Automotive Service writer, so I have to pick something out. In the notes it specifically said dress attire is business professional. I tried asking every girl I knew, but getting too many conflicting answers didn't help at all, so I figured I'd ask here. First impressions are important, and I'd like to get it right.

This is what I have already, with a black/brown reversible belt
EhJL4Sv.jpg

These are some options I found at the store.
RXwjeac.jpg
it4slxz.jpg
3Hj9k4a.jpg

My two main concerns are color options and if I should go with a suit jacket (it's hot where I live.) This job will pay well and provides training, so I'd like to nail it if possible. I still have time to shop around if there's a specific look you guys have in mind.

I did have some nice dress clothes a long time ago, but they all got lost moving around so much.

Cyberpunkd

Business professional to me sounds like white shirt + tie. Probably darker pants to go with it. Do you have black shoes?

jason10mm

Gold Member
Business professional to me sounds like white shirt + tie. Probably darker pants to go with it. Do you have black shoes?
This^^^^ If its warm you can omit the blazer but for an interview I'd probably wear one anyway. White/off white dress shirt (+/- on the collar buttons) with a navy blue, charcoal, or beige suit/pants. Solid red or blue tie. Belt and shoes are roughly the same color (i.e both black or both brown).

I think the goal here is to look NORMAL. Get a haircut. Shave that morning. Have a firm handshake. Look folks in the eyes for a heartbeat or two. You don't need any red flags, virtue signals, or nonsense like that.

Leave your funky Rick and Morty tie at home, don't wear the electric green pants, remove as many piercings as possible, cover all tats, have naturally colored hair in a conservative cut, and for gods sake wear normal dress shoes, not sneakers, cowboy boots, or vibrams.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
The term "Business Professional" used to mean a conservative style where you are going to go with a Navy or a Charcoal 2 piece suit, a tie, and dress shoes either black or brown depending on the suit and a belt to match the shoes. If you are wearing a watch, have the metal match your belt buckle. What I see you picking out in your pictures looks more business casual to me other than you're including a tie. Maybe it's different depending on the industry and the times now.

If it's not what I said above and you don't need a suit, where you are right now, from the pictures, I would reverse the colors. Navy chinos and a white dress shirt with brown or black dress shoes and then find a sports jacket/blazer to fill out the look.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I used to have links to some really nice men's fashion sites. In fact, didn't we used to have a thread here for that kinda stuff, maybe back before the llama llama drama llama?

ah, here was one: https://www.styleforum.net/forums/classic-menswear.5/ Can be a bit on the fashion edge which isn't where I like to be, but great advice nonetheless if anyone wants to dive down the rabbit hole.

Last edited:

Mistake

No, but I can get some. I usually prefer darker colors actually. But I'm having a hard time between my own taste and what's expected

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
This^^^^ If its warm you can omit the blazer but for an interview I'd probably wear one anyway. White/off white dress shirt (+/- on the collar buttons) with a navy blue, charcoal, or beige suit/pants. Solid red or blue tie. Belt and shoes are roughly the same color (i.e both black or both brown).

I think the goal here is to look NORMAL. Get a haircut. Shave that morning. Have a firm handshake. Look folks in the eyes for a heartbeat or two. You don't need any red flags, virtue signals, or nonsense like that.

Leave your funky Rick and Morty tie at home, don't wear the electric green pants, remove as many piercings as possible, cover all tats, have naturally colored hair in a conservative cut, and for gods sake wear normal dress shoes, not sneakers, cowboy boots, or vibrams.
I love the idea of someone putting in 100% effort and absolutely nailing sartorial elegance from head to ankle but throwing on a pair of Vibram 5 Fingers

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
For interviews (even during covid when I had some online), I always wear a suit and tie. Its better to overdress than underdress.

Darkish suit, light shirt, dark tie, dark shoes. It doesn't have to be pitch black clothes, but a safe colour is dark grey. Dont forget a tie clip. If you dont have one, just find a cheap $10 one.

If you dont have a formal suit and got the interview tomorrow you're probably screwed as pants always need to be tailored. The jacket is almost always fine as long as you find the right fit (Chest size + Regular or Long pending how big and bulky you are). I'm 46R.

But if you got a decent blazer that can work too pending how formal this auto place wants you to be.

Edit: Forgot to say good luck! Hope it turns out!

Last edited:

GHG

Dark suit (matching top and bottom colours), light shirt (white, light blue, light cream), dark tie (darker blues, darker purples, etc), black belt, black shoes. It's that simple.

And as a more general tip, all of this is a lot easier if you're reasonably in shape and it drastically increases your margin for error in terms of what you can get away with while still looking good. So that, and find a reasonably priced tailor for your suits.

Mistake

Dark suit (matching top and bottom colours), light shirt (white, light blue, light cream), dark tie (darker blues, darker purples, etc), black belt, black shoes. It's that simple.

And as a more general tip, all of this is a lot easier if you're reasonably in shape and it drastically increases your margin for error in terms of what you can get away with while still looking good. So that, and find a reasonably priced tailor for your suits.
I'm still a bit thin, but I gained 10lbs in the last month and got tanned. Also my niece said recently I haven't aged in the last 10 years :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
"Business professional" just means a suit. Buy a fitting suit (meaning matching jacket and pants) and a corresponding shirt, shoes and tie.

Remember (and this is important) to pick colors that match your skin tone, complexion and hair color. The biggest snafu is people wearing suits that don't match their complexity, making them look pale or sickly. So for example if you're naturally pale, don't wear very dark suits and plain white shirts because you'll look like a ghoul no matter how hard you try.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Just to clarify: Not a “suit jacket” if they said business, that means a full suit and tie.

For the future, get yourself a well tailored suit. Don’t go cheap. A decent suit will seem eye watering in price ($800+ on sale), but they will last you a lifetime and you’ll stand out at every job interview.

If this is the best job for you, then wishing you the best of luck, and if it’s not this one, may a better opportunity come your way!

NeoGiffer

Well if things go tits up OP you've always got the first part of the thread title to fall back on...

:messenger_open_mouth:

Good luck (y)

Mistake

"Business professional" just means a suit. Buy a fitting suit (meaning matching jacket and pants) and a corresponding shirt, shoes and tie.

Remember (and this is important) to pick colors that match your skin tone, complexion and hair color. The biggest snafu is people wearing suits that don't match their complexity, making them look pale or sickly. So for example if you're naturally pale, don't wear very dark suits and plain white shirts because you'll look like a ghoul no matter how hard you try.
Buying a few nice fitted suits has been a goal of mine actually, but as I said, I didn't start toning out my body until recently, and you can't really tailor up. Maybe I can rent one somewhere if that's what you guys are recommending. I just got somewhat on my feet recently, so this pay cut was kind of a slap in the face. At least I'm still debt free :messenger_peace:

Last edited:

Synless

Dude, go to an express store. Go extra slim one size up any size you are performance dress shirt, black, and some black patterned dress socks (or no show socks) and a fitted jacket. Get yourself some stone colored dress pants from somewhere, skinny fit. Use coupon codes galore. Loafers from either Johnston Murphy/Allen Edmonds. Fuck the tie, you have a decent outfit for relatively cheap outfit that will get you by.

Last edited:

Mistake

Dude, go to an express store. Go extra slim any size you are performance dress shirt, black, and some black patterned dress socks (or no show socks) and a fitted jacket. Get yourself some stone colored dress pants from somewhere, skinny fit. Use coupon codes galore. Loafers from either Johnston Murphy/Allen Edmonds. Fuck the tie, you have a decent outfit for relatively cheap outfit that will get you by.
I don't know of any good coupon sites for express, but I did notice they have 20% off in their app and the place is 20 minutes away. I'll check it out

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Yep, Express is a good choice to get sorted out for an interview without dropping a grand.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Good luck with your interview! I’ve personally had better luck interviewing in lighter tops and darker bottoms. Personally a fan of black pants and black shoes. Then a lighter top like a lighter blue than what you have pictured in your OP. You could even do a white shirt, but me personally I don’t care for them because my nipples stick out too much even with an under shirt lol. Then for a tie, if it’s in the budget, get something with a pattern that closely resembles both colors of your pant and shirt. Don’t think too much about it beyond that, because you want to be comfortable in what you wear, you don’t want to feel uncomfortable during an interview or in the lobby waiting on the interview. Never do anything too outrageous, because that takes focus away from you and your skill set/experience and shifts it to what you are wearing.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Dude, go to an express store. Go extra slim one size up any size you are performance dress shirt, black, and some black patterned dress socks (or no show socks) and a fitted jacket. Get yourself some stone colored dress pants from somewhere, skinny fit. Use coupon codes galore. Loafers from either Johnston Murphy/Allen Edmonds. Fuck the tie, you have a decent outfit for relatively cheap outfit that will get you by.
Great options if OP is a skinnier to mid build guy. The combo of skinny fit pants and extra slim even one size up for a bigger man is absolutely a bad idea, it looks foolish a lot of the time. Some bigger guys can pull it off, but most times it’s messy.

Last edited:

Mistake

Pant length definitely seems off, maybe I can fix it with my belt, but here's what I managed. The guy at the shop said everyone is doing black these days, so blue is probably better. I'll get a black set eventually anyway. Brown belt with buckle, though you don't see it much

OUmafLN.jpg
pvJlTC7.jpg

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

Pant length definitely seems off, maybe I can fix it with my belt, but here's what I managed. The guy at the shop said everyone is doing black these days, so blue is probably better. I'll get a black set eventually anyway. Brown belt with buckle, though you don't see it much

OUmafLN.jpg
pvJlTC7.jpg
There's also charts like this one that show different combos with not alot of clothes.

b0ec0d7e303149b008abeddc8d720c1b.jpg

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Re: pants. You have a traditional fit there, more modern styling would be ending the pants right at the shoe with no break so that your socks show while seated. Neither is incorrect.

Looking good, now ace that interview.

jason10mm

Gold Member

OUmafLN.jpg
pvJlTC7.jpg
That is 1000% better than the blue shirt/red tie/kakhi slacks/rough out tan shoes you were originally considering. That would have made you look like a Best Buy employee or something. NOW you look like business. Good luck! Throw in a pocket square for a dash of color if you are feeling frisky :p

Cyberpunkd

OUmafLN.jpg
pvJlTC7.jpg
Blue is the way to go, you are not going to the funeral. Good match on the shoes.

Kudos to whoever fitted your suit, the button isn’t tight. Don’t trigger me and unbutton the suit when you sit down, button it up when you stand up.

Last edited:

Mistake

Blue is the way to go, you are not going to the funeral. Good match on the shoes.

Kudos to whoever fitted your suit, the button isn’t tight. Don’t trigger me and unbutton the suit when you sit down, button it up when you stand up.
The guy said leave one button undone. I suppose I could go either way on it.

So turns out I was the best dressed guy there, and it matched what the hiring manager wore. He talked to me last and complimented me on it, even gave a fist bump. More than half got kicked out in the group interview. The job I applied for sounds like it would be a huge pain, and didn't fully match the description online, but they have an opening on their sales floor and I applied to that instead. Got a round two for tomorrow at 12, I'll have to take the day off work for it. Fingers crossed

Last edited:

Synless

Looking sharp man, good look on that second interview!

When you realize the power your socks can have on your overall look you will be next level.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

So turns out I was the best dressed guy there, and it matched what the hiring manager wore. He talked to me last and complimented me on it, even gave a fist bump. More than half got kicked out in the group interview. The job I applied for sounds like it would be a huge pain, and didn't fully match the description online, but they have an opening on their sales floor and I applied to that instead. Got a round two for tomorrow at 12, I'll have to take the day off work for it. Fingers crossed
Congrats and hope you get it.

I'm no fashion maven, but I always heard leave the bottom button undone no matter how many buttons a suit jacket has. Typically, most people have a two button suit. Occasionally you see three.

Back in like 2000 I needed a new suit and my friend from university worked PT at a suit wholesaler. I went back to the inventory room and a worker there help me pick out a suit for cheap. The style is out of date now googling it, but it was a dark Calvin Klein 4 button suit for $300 CDN they charged me. It retailed for like $700. And I'm not talking 4 buttons being a suit that has 2x2 button layout. it was 4 buttons down the jacket. It was awesome. Anytime I went to wedding everyone thought it was slick as nobody wore 4 button jackets. It also surely looked better back then since I was 30 lbs lighter too! lol.

If I ever need to buy another suit at some point. I might try to find a 4 buttoner. It looked kind of like this. Because there's so many buttons and looks so formal it kind of had a military look to it.

72766ab6978cd997e3c51831e13cc23e.jpg

Mistake

I'm no fashion maven, but I always heard leave the bottom button undone no matter how many buttons a suit jacket has. Typically, most people have a two button suit. Occasionally you see three.

Back in like 2000 I needed a new suit and my friend from university worked PT at a suit wholesaler. I went back to the inventory room and a worker there help me pick out a suit for cheap. The style is out of date now googling it, but it was a dark Calvin Klein 4 button suit for $300 CDN they charged me. It retailed for like $700. And I'm not talking 4 buttons being a suit that has 2x2 button layout. it was 4 buttons down the jacket. It was awesome. Anytime I went to wedding everyone thought it was slick as nobody wore 4 button jackets. It also surely looked better back then since I was 30 lbs lighter too! lol.

If I ever need to buy another suit at some point. I might try to find a 4 buttoner. It looked kind of like this. Because there's so many buttons and looks so formal it kind of had a military look to it.

Everything ran me about $550, but I probably could have gotten the undershirt, belt and tie cheaper. So knock off about $150. I didn't expect to get an interview so quick, so I didn't have a lot of time

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Congrats! Almost there.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Everything ran me about $550, but I probably could have gotten the undershirt, belt and tie cheaper. So knock off about $150. I didn't expect to get an interview so quick, so I didn't have a lot of time
Did you get the pants tailored asap? Or you went with it off the rack? Typically the waist size will be ok, but the ass part (made baggy) and ends (made overly too long) need to be tailored to fit. At least every pants I've bought.

INC

So, I recently decided to switch my job since it got bought out by a corporation and gave everyone a big pay cut. I've always been fine dressing up normally to go out on a nice evening, but I never had to be super professional about it until today. Usually I did business casual if that makes sense.

Well, now I have an interview set for tomorrow with Volkswagen as an Automotive Service writer, so I have to pick something out. In the notes it specifically said dress attire is business professional. I tried asking every girl I knew, but getting too many conflicting answers didn't help at all, so I figured I'd ask here. First impressions are important, and I'd like to get it right.

This is what I have already, with a black/brown reversible belt
EhJL4Sv.jpg

These are some options I found at the store.
RXwjeac.jpg
it4slxz.jpg
3Hj9k4a.jpg

My two main concerns are color options and if I should go with a suit jacket (it's hot where I live.) This job will pay well and provides training, so I'd like to nail it if possible. I still have time to shop around if there's a specific look you guys have in mind.

I did have some nice dress clothes a long time ago, but they all got lost moving around so much.

Dear God, who's your inspiration, drew Carey

Mistake

Did you get the pants tailored asap? Or you went with it off the rack? Typically the waist size will be ok, but the ass part (made baggy) and ends (made overly too long) need to be tailored to fit. At least every pants I've bought.
I was able to get a close fit after trying a couple on. I don't thinkI could go tighter on the ass actually, they kind of ride when I sit.
Dear God, who's your inspiration, drew Carey
I completely admit I flubbed having the color scheme backwards. Should be lighter up top, darker on bottom. Things went well though. Only problem now is I couldn't get time off from work for the next interview... I wish this place gave more notice

Tams

Update: I got a blue suit, blue tie, and brown dress shoes at express. Just need some dress socks and I'm good. Set me back a bit, but price was good. Will post it later

A dark blue suit and brown shoes (and belt, of course) is just :lollipop_kissing_smiling:. Excellent choice.

Tams

Yes, always leave the bottom button undone. That goes for waistcoats too.

In my more ignorant youth I unpicked a bottom button hole that my tailor had deliberately sewn up. Made an utter mess.

I like more than two buttons too. Four is interesting, but I rather like three. Double vents at the back too.

Locutus

OUmafLN.jpg
Looking sharp!

You are right that the pants are a little long. Would be best if you could get them tailored for future use. In a pinch, you can cuff them inside and put some double sided tape inside the cuff to hold it.

In any event, you did a great job putting this outfit together. Very professional. I hope the interview went well.

Tams

OUmafLN.jpg
pvJlTC7.jpg

Blue is best.

Black is in my honest opinion for black tie dinners/tuxedos or funerals.

Make sure to pull your tie fully up!

And I'd wear those shoes in a little.

Raven117

OUmafLN.jpg
pvJlTC7.jpg
Looking sharp! Sure there are some very small details that can be tailored, but there are only a handful of people that would notice, and they wont be in that interview.

Good work!

Toots

Gold Member
Looking sharp in your blue suit.
Don't worry about your pants you'll be seated for most of the itw.
If you really want to do something, maybe you could add an eggplant in them, but only if the job you're aiming for is in a 80s rock band.

OUmafLN.jpg
pvJlTC7.jpg
Buy a lint roller or a lint remover brush.

Last edited:
Top Bottom