• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The hype around Starfield is massive, and growing.

Oh......I fully expected to be overwhelmed early on in the game. That's nothing but good news to me.
There's the good way of giving that overwhelming feeling(like finally leaving the vault in Fallout 3 and seeing the open world shown before you), and then there's the White Knight Chronicles way of doing it.

Chukhopops

In only a few hours this thread already has 8 pages and counting of people mostly trying to explain that there is absolutely no hype whatsoever for this game. Are they trying to convince us or themselves at this point?

Confused Thinking GIF by MOODMAN
That’s the best part of this thread honestly, it’s a museum of bad faith. I love it.

Last edited:

Mr.ODST

I 100% believe there hasnt been much of a marketing push for Starfield as they will announce a new Limited Edition Starfield Series X at gamescom.

Also the controller looks unreal should I order one, too bad the headsets are not available :(

fallingdove

Starfield hype is real
The game will sell 10m copies in the first week
I think it will struggle to hit 4M sold in the first month. What kind of idiot is paying $70 for a game that you can play at no additional cost with a $1 GamePass trial or a $17 limited subscription.

I fully expect MS to take the “Over 5 million people have played Starfield this week” route as opposed to discussing sell-through.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I’ll be honest. I didn’t consciously realize this was gonna be a Game Pass game until I booted up my Xbox and saw it there. This whole time I’ve been budgeting to spend $70 on it.

That’s pretty sick.

Fredrik

I think it will struggle to hit 4M sold in the first month. What kind of idiot is paying $70 for a game that you can play at no additional cost with a $1 GamePass trial or a $17 limited subscription.

I fully expect MS to take the “Over 5 million people have played Starfield this week” route as opposed to discussing sell-through.
The kind of ”idiot” who play on PC to avoid 30fps and want the Steam version for unrestricted modding.

But of course they’ll announce player numbers. Forza Horizon 5 has reached 30 million. It’s good PR. Sell-through numbers are dinosaur stats in 2023. They might possibly announce GP subscription numbers if they go up enough to reach some internal milestone.

StereoVsn

I mean its been the no.1 most wishlisted game on Steam for god knows how long now, and thats with the knowledge the game is on Gamepass. Its going to be massive on PC. Cant speak for console because gamepass subs percentage wise are obviously much higher on console than PC.
A lot of folks on PC will get the game through Steam due to much better mod support vs Windows Store. I expect Steam numbers to be Cyberpunk huge.

Xbox - who the heck knows with GamePass.

Pallas

Season 1 School GIF by NBC

Considering I also have gamepass, this is a game I want to physically own, it’s going to be played for so many years after release.

Vox Machina

Banned
A lot of folks on PC will get the game through Steam due to much better mod support vs Windows Store. I expect Steam numbers to be Cyberpunk huge.

Xbox - who the heck knows with GamePass.

Yup, have had Game Pass Ultimate since forever & I'm buying the Premium Edition on Steam for easy peasy mod support.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member

A lot of people still see Bethesda as a PC first developer. And they wouldn’t be wrong. The game will sell insanely on steam.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

A lot of people still see Bethesda as a PC first developer. And they wouldn’t be wrong. The game will sell insanely on steam.

Only the most wishlisted game on Steam for god knows since when, and always a good seller, especially after that 45 mins preview.

I'm not worried a bit about Bethesda RPG on steam. The community has put in so much work throughout the years for Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout, etc. The mods are amazing and it keeps growing.

I will because I don't give a shit about Gamepass, and want it in my Steam library "forever". I hate subscription services and also don't want to keep the subscription going just to keep my game.

Also, can the Gamepass version of the game even be modded in the exact same way and use the same mods..?

Regardless, the game would hold the same value to me as a pirate version if it wasn't in my library so I'm an idiot then I guess 🤷‍♂️

UltimaKilo

Gold Member

The goal is for it to push consoles and Gamepass subscriptions. For Microsoft, gaming has become a service. You're looking at it all wrong.

twilo99

if I was to play this game for years to come, I’d wait until I’m ready to unsubscribe from gamepass before I buy the game.. it will be much cheaper in a year or less.

DeaDPo0L84

PC gamepass games typically are missing options from the Steam version, or are not able to be modded as easily so, yea.
Ro4en9G.jpg

DeaDPo0L84

A lot of people still feel that way cause it's true. Bethesda games shine on PC and are honestly some of the best PC centric games to play cause the modding community is both talented and dedicated to each of their franchises.

I'd be willing to bet this game will have a higher player base on PC than Xbox. Non-creative version stay winning.

Last edited:

M.W.

I'm excited as fuck for this, but I'll be done with it by mid September or early October. Too many other games to play as well. Probably just main line it and finish it up in 20 hours.

Fredrik

Season 1 School GIF by NBC

Considering I also have gamepass, this is a game I want to physically own, it’s going to be played for so many years after release.
Yeah similar scenario here, I have a cheap GP Ultimate sub til next year but went with Premium on Steam. Means I’ll have access to all versions at least until 2024 and can do some fun comparisons. I’ll play it where I get the best experience.

At this point the Steam version seems like the safe choice for modding, historically Gamepass modding can come with some extra hurdles. But Bethesda might’ve got MS to loosen up on the protection since they love mods and the modding community, we’ll see.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Yeah similar scenario here, I have a cheap GP Ultimate sub til next year but went with Premium on Steam. Means I’ll have access to all versions at least until 2024 and can do some fun comparisons. I’ll play it where I get the best experience.

At this point the Steam version seems like the safe choice for modding, historically Gamepass modding can come with some extra hurdles. But Bethesda might’ve got MS to loosen up on the protection since they love mods and the modding community, we’ll see.

Wouldn't surprise me if MS has done something to assist mods but it still won't be as good as steam.

I'm playing my vanilla playthrough on xbox app and when the crazy mods hit, like event horizon I'll jump on the pc version.

Saying that, here's hoping the xbox app version allows some decent modding opportunities.

No biggie. The more hype for an Xbox exclusive the more I'll just need downplay and shit on it.

Creating a couple dozen more metacritic accounts. I'll drop the user score to 1.5 even if it kills me

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT

Sea of Thieves sold approx 6 million units on Steam, despite being released there 2 years after the game was on PC Gamepass. PC Gamers overwhelmingly prefer to buy their games on Steam.

What kind of person expects most people to play through a massive, massive game in one month, on a single subscription, anyway?

Most of the folks chiming in to say they’ll play it on a $1 trial sub will still be playing it over Christmas.

You think it’ll only have 5 million players in the first week?
Cracking Up Lol GIF

Forza Horizon 5 had 10 million first week.

Duchess

Has anyone seen any adverts, etc. for this running on TV, etc?

Here in the UK, when Sony launched H:FW and GOW:R they had adverts on TV, on the sides of buses, in Tube stations, etc. a few weeks before the release day.

I've seen nothing about Starfield so far, and that's coming out in just under three weeks.

Maybe MS has stuff ready, but they're leaving it late to promote this game to the wider world.

Fredrik

Wouldn't surprise me if MS has done something to assist mods but it still won't be as good as steam.

I'm playing my vanilla playthrough on xbox app and when the crazy mods hit, like event horizon I'll jump on the pc version.

Saying that, here's hoping the xbox app version allows some decent modding opportunities.
Regarding console Todd said in an interview that there will be mods on Xbox. Probably similar to how it is on Skyrim Special Edition. But I think it’s safe to say that the more advanced modding will be on PC, some have you replacing exe and dll files and there is no way MS will allow that.
Then again, new engine, Bethesda’s open arms attitude toward modding - Who knows?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Regarding console Todd said in an interview that there will be mods on Xbox. Probably similar to how it is on Skyrim Special Edition. But I think it’s safe to say that the more advanced modding will be on PC, some have you replacing exe and dll files and there is no way MS will allow that.
Then again, new engine, Bethesda’s open arms attitude toward modding - Who knows?

Tbh I'm not crazy deep into modding myself, but if a file pops up on the xbox version that says - event horizon mod. I'll be happy.

Fredrik

Forza Horizon 5 had 10 million first week.
Starfield is likely a bigger deal but skipping the Xbox One generation will limit the reach a bit.
But I still think it’ll do crazy numbers.

Did MS include Steam players in their player stats on FH5 btw?

Top Bottom