• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The hype around Starfield is massive, and growing.

Ozriel

M$FT
The amusing thing about this ‘no marketing’ discourse is that Baldur’s Gate 3 didn’t even get the huge marketing campaign many are claiming Starfield needs. And yet it’s being held up as a success here.

Larian focused heavily on word of mouth from Early access, YouTube trailers, State of Play showcase and that viral bear video.

Starfield will most likely release with even more marketing under its belt than BG3. starting with a Gamescom feature next week.

Guilty_AI

I have no idea why this is a thread. You guys all need to calm down. I leave for 5 minutes and you're all comparing google searches like sales charts. Go outside or call your mom.
cant-stop-wont-stop-dave-chappelle.gif

Chukhopops

I thought fallout 4 was quite polished compared to skyrim and fo3

So out of 10 planets in a solar system only 1 is habitable, theres also loading times to each planet, sounds amazing
You will know from the scan if a planet has life or not, lifeless planets will mostly be for resource farming or to build a home in a chill place.
I have no doubts about the content of this game, it is a Bethesda game, it's going to have everything and more that you would expect from Bethesda.

However, being a Bethesda game means it will be horribly buggy.

I really hope it's not unplayable on PC at launch but im expecting it to be completely fucked at launch.
Never understood that kind of hyperbole, played Fallout 4 at launch on PC and it was completely fine aside from the occasional vertibird crashing on you and killing you during a cutscene. I don’t even remember any sequence break (which sometimes happened in Morrowind or Oblivion).

If anything the console version was the one with more problems at launch especially performance.

Red5

So out of 10 planets in a solar system only 1 is habitable, theres also loading times to each planet, sounds amazing

Well if you look at it so rigidly then yes but I think it will be more randomized than that. It's fine if you're underwhelmed by it, but I've yet to see a game do what Starfield is doing in term of scope and stellar exploration..

Starfield hype ever since MS bought them is funny.

Like Elden Ring didn’t release last year or something.

And RDR2 really? Already going there?

Marathon had more views in its debut trailer than Starfield.

But sure, it’s the most hyped game ever, by some people.
I mean isn't Skyrim like the most sold AAA after GTA? Yes it released on many platform, but just like many other giant AAA's out there.

Talking about Elden Ring even tho it just released last year i wouldn't be surprised if it already had less concurrent players than 12 years old Skyrim.

Can understand why there's so many people excited for their next game, this said, i remember way more hype for Cyberpunk for example, we'll see how next days go, i think it's appearing in Gamescom right? and there should be some marketing campaign soon i guess

Stuart360

People going on about most of the 1000 planets being barren or just for resources, but you know they could of just not had them in the game right, they could of just had the 10 planets with city's and bases etc. Its extra content and i'm glad they are in the game.

As for hype, i dont really care. I just want a good game that lives up to the likes of Skyrim, Fallout 3, etc.

As for sales, thy will be huge on PC. The game has been the no.1 wishlisted game on Steam for as long as i can remember, and thats with the knowledge that the game is on Gamepass.

Topher

Gold Member
also, act like BG3 just launched perfect, wasn't in early access for 3 years with a 6 year dev cycle and still has 100's of bugs being fixed in patches. BG3 is amazing though, props to them I'm just pointing out the difference in internet discourse around that game.

What about it? No game is perfect, but BG3 has been rock solid for me. Not sure I get the point you are trying to make here And why? This is a Starfield thread.

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
The issue is why it hasn't already. Its a space rpg made by Bethesda that was being hyped even before it was properly announced. This shouldn't be a sleeping hit people were overlooking until release like BG3 or The Witcher 3
It's still a new IP.

Stuart360

What about it? No game is perfect, but BG3 has been rock solid for me. No sure I get the point you are trying to make here And why? This is a Starfield thread.
To be fair, BG3 just has a 'small patch' (devs words) that fixed 200 bugs the other day, 200.
There isnt a single game that releases these days that doesnt have bugs, and more often then not a lot of them.

Ar¢tos

also, act like BG3 just launched perfect, wasn't in early access for 3 years with a 6 year dev cycle and still has 100's of bugs being fixed in patches. BG3 is amazing though, props to them I'm just pointing out the difference in internet discourse around that game.
And Starfield won't have a 5 year+ dev cycle, and 100s of bugs fixed in later patches (if not by modders, because Bethesda can't/won't)?
The only difference is the lack of early access (and Bethesda being bigger and richer than Larian).

The last game I can remember that had this type of hype leading up to its release was Red Dead Redemption 2.
It's trending on twitter every day. Forums and social media are all about Starfield, and MS hasn't advertised jack shit for it.

I haven't really been a Bethesda guy, but I am a space guy, so this game is for me, but was the hype like this when the last Elder Scrolls came out?
This is what happens when you can't play Baldur's Gate 3

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
To be fair, BG3 just has a 'small patch' (devs words) that fixed 200 bugs the other day, 200.
There isnt a single game that releases these days that doesnt have bugs, and more often then not a lot of them.
Most of BG3's bugs were not noticeable, rather due to the complexity of the game's systems there are minor issues that get identified by the player base. It's a stable game, possibly the most stable CRPG of substantial scope ever on release day.

Bethesda's games have had serious game-breaking problems throughout, oftentimes ones that aren't ever fixed by the devs and require community-made patches to address,

They are not the same situations at all.

Topher

Gold Member

Like I said, "no game is perfect", but we also have to take into account the size and scope of the game. Let's not pretend the game is notoriously buggy. Simply isn't.

Guilty_AI

It's still a new IP.
It doesn't really mean much when it has a big name behind it, along plenty of blood from other famous IP from said name. Much like Elden Ring.

Not saying the game will flop or anything, i just expected there to be much more talk and hype about it so close to its release.

Stuart360

Like I said, "no game is perfect", but we also have to take into account the size and scope of the game. Let's not pretend the game is notoriously buggy. Simply isn't.
Its not badly buggy but i have seen a couple of streamers have bugs, one where a door wouldnt open after thye had done what they needed to, and they had to abandon the quest. There are quite a few Youtube vids highlighting bugs too. Even CohhCarnage said a lot of poeple informed him that Act 3 is very buiggy, and he was saying he hopes there were some patches done by the time he reached act 3.

And yes like you're saying, i was just trying to say all games have bugs these days at launch.

BrunoCoel

gamers lol...too much hype, not enough hype
hype is in your heart, you nurture it like a seedling, you water it, help it grow untill it blocks out all the sunlight, drags you into the basement and kills you with your own expectations

So beautiful. That's me with VII Rebirth next year.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Its not badly buggy but i have seen a couple of streamers have bugs, one where a door wouldnt open after thye had done what they needed to, and they had to abandon the quest. There are quite a few Youtube vids highlighting bugs too. Even CohhCarnage said a lot of poeple informed him that Act 3 is very buiggy, and he was saying he hopes there were some patches done by the time he reached act 3.

And yes like you're saying, i was just trying to say all games have bugs these days at launch.

Fair enough. I still don't get why it is being brought up in a Starfield thread though. Unless it is just to proactively defend the possibility of bugs in Starfield which is just silly. Starfield is made by Bethesda, owned by a $2 trillion corporation. Bethesda shouldn't be using Larian as a crutch for anything.

Matsuchezz

He is not wrong, I have experienced the hype in my neighborhood with the guy that drives the ice cream truck, he asked me out of nowhere if I had heard about starfield and I said no and then he started to explain to me all about it. Then when I went to a local hamburger place all the people was talking about it and wearing shirts with the games logo, it was incredible. Then I arrived late to a parents meeting at my daughter school and when I asked what was the subject they were discussing at the moment they told me it was about starfield and how this was Bethesda new ip in 25 years and telling me me how they all have preloaded the game and have asked for PTO at work and how they were goiing to send their children in Uber because they wanted to maximize their playtime. And they were asking silly questions like: what their spaceships will be named and such. It was beautiful… the hype is real

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
He is not wrong, I have experienced the hype in my neighborhood with the guy that drives the ice cream truck, he asked me out of nowhere if I had heard about starfield and I said no and then he started to explain to me all about it. Then when I went to a local hamburger place all the people was talking about it and wearing shirts with the games logo, it was incredible. Then I arrived late to a parents meeting at my daughter school and when I asked what was the subject they were discussing at the moment they told me it was about starfield and how this was Bethesda new ip in 25 years and telling me me how they all have preloaded the game and have asked for PTO at work and how they were goiing to send their children in Uber because they wanted to maximize their playtime. And they all asking silly questions like: what their ships will be named and such. It was beautiful… the hype is real

You live on Microsoft's corporate campus or something?

DaGwaphics

Thats the orig Skyrim. The Special Edition verison (which is the main version everyone plays), has 19k currently ingame.

Impressive numbers for a single player game that old, damn. I had no idea that so many were still playing it. It actually is above Elden Ring on the most played Xbox games list also, though just by a few slots. But considering how well received Elden Ring is, that's not bad at all.

As far as the marketing machine goes, MS could be doing the full court press and I'd probably not even be aware of it. I don't really watch/listen to live TV or Radio that much and streaming apps have a very short list of sponsors in general. If they aren't running a lot of YT ads I'd never know anything about it. My personally hype level is through the roof though, that space game I've always wanted without the excessive mundane activities and forever rebuilding state of that other one.

Last edited:

3liteDragon

I think it’s overblown - it’s trending because every Xbox fanboy won’t let the world forget about it. They need this to be a success, even changing their avatars to a Starfield logo a year before gameplay was shown.
Hyped for the game myself but this is where most of the online hype’s coming from lol.

Guilty_AI

He is not wrong, I have experienced the hype in my neighborhood with the guy that drives the ice cream truck, he asked me out of nowhere if I had heard about starfield and I said no and then he started to explain to me all about it. Then when I went to a local hamburger place all the people was talking about it and wearing shirts with the games logo, it was incredible. Then I arrived late to a parents meeting at my daughter school and when I asked what was the subject they were discussing at the moment they told me it was about starfield and how this was Bethesda new ip in 25 years and telling me me how they all have preloaded the game and have asked for PTO at work and how they were goiing to send their children in Uber because they wanted to maximize their playtime. And they were asking silly questions like: what their spaceships will be named and such. It was beautiful… the hype is real
My newborn niece (from a sister of a friend of a uncle's friend's friend) had starfield shoes on her when she was born.
She spoke her first words right after: "Get out of my head Todd". Very cute baby she is.

Last edited:

Stuart360

All the streamers i watch talk about Staffield all the time, even Starfield links added to their stream titles etc. Poeple usually say these 'influencers' (god i hate that word) are what dictates hype so.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
All the streamers i watch talk about Staffield all the time, even Starfield links added to their stream titles etc. Poeple usually say these 'influencers' (god i hate that word) are what dictates hype so.
I broke down and watched the COD MW3 reveal event yesterday and the group I watched played through it and watched the trailer were acting like it was the greatest thing they ever did in theirs lives.

They way over acted trying to hype that shit up and I assume many of the Starfield people will do it as well, for the right price

Stuart360

I broke down and watched the COD MW3 reveal event yesterday and the group I watched played through it and watched the trailer were acting like it was the greatest thing they ever did in theirs lives.

They way over acted trying to hype that shit up and I assume many of the Starfield people will do it as well, for the right price
So none of the streamers are actually excited, they are all bought?, including CohhCarnage who was having a meltdown over the deep dive, and hasnt shut up about the game for a year. Or DrDisrespect who cant wait for the game, and has talked about his love for Bethesda RPG's many times in the past (could you really imagine MS buying someone like DOC?).

I think many of them are just excited for the game, like they were with BG3.

Matsuchezz

My newborn niece (from a sister of a friend of a uncle's friend's friend) had starfield shoes on her when she was born.
She spoke her first words right after: "Get out of my head Todd". Very cute baby she is.
God bless her. I think I read about it on The newspaper IiRC Todd and Phil were going to give her 1 month of game pass ultimate, and a coupon so she can trade in a Ps5 for a SeriesS console with 1 Gb of storage.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
So none of the streamers are actually excited, they are all bought?, including CohhCarnage who was having a meltdown over the deep dive, and hasnt shut up about the game for a year. Or DrDisrespect who cant wait for the game, and has talked about his love for Bethesda RPG's many times in the past (could you really imagine MS buying someone like DOC?).

I think many of them are just excited for the game, like they were with BG3.
I didn’t mean to imply no one was excited just replying it’s the world we live in today get the influencers on board is todays main marketing it seems

Top Bottom