• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The hype around Starfield is massive, and growing.

timothet

In the end no other engine offers what this engine is capable of.
That's kinda whole point of having your own engine and could say this about any proprietary game engine. Each engine have its pros and cons.
Recent Bethesda games were not masterpieces in terms of used technology and it's completely fine, but trying to pass Creation Engine as some state-of-art engine with unmatched technologies is just too much.

geary

I have to say - the Starfield defence force is something else. You can’t say a single negative thing or state you aren’t interested in the game without someone jumping down your throat. I’ve been around a long time and the fanboyism around this one is toxic. It’s such a shame.
Are you serious? Last year when GoW was launched people were warned and banned non stop if they criticized the game. If you smoking something, please pass it through....i want that shit too...

MMaRsu

Banned
That's kinda whole point of having your own engine and could say this about any proprietary game engine. Each engine have its pros and cons.
Recent Bethesda games were not masterpieces in terms of used technology and it's completely fine, but trying to pass Creation Engine as some state-of-art engine with unmatched technologies is just too much.
Who said state of the art? I just said it's doing what BGS needs them to do for the games they want to make.

To create an entirely new/different engine is an enormous undertaking. They have done a big upgrade on their engine though.

MMaRsu

Banned
🚨🚨🚨 WARNING! SPOILER FOR SOME, A HANDY TOOL FOR OTHERS!!! 🚨🚨🚨

This is a character build planner assembled from all known information. Very cool interface and you can start thinking how you will spend those hard earned perk points!

Haha no problem in posting the link ofcourse :p. But yeah I haven't looked at all the skills yet either, I just wanna check them out ingame. I don't know all the traits either yet. Im probably gonna be spending awhile in the character creator lol :D

Topher

Gold Member
Are you serious? Last year when GoW was launched people were warned and banned non stop if they criticized the game. If you smoking something, please pass it through....i want that shit too...

What are you talking about? Plenty of folks had legit gripes about GoW that were never banned at all. There is a difference between folks who criticize and those who are just blatantly trolling.

timothet

Who said state of the art? I just said it's doing what BGS needs them to do for the games they want to make.

To create an entirely new/different engine is an enormous undertaking. They have done a big upgrade on their engine though.

It's you who is touting ability to pick every item in the world and item persistence like some unbelievable feat of technological prowess.
What other engine allows you to pick up every item in the game world, put it in your home, go off and do other shit for 80 hours and when you come back all that stuff is still in the same place?

Go on, I'll wait.

There is a reason no other developer tries to do what Bgs Games do. Outer Worlds was a nice try but failed miserably in my eyes.

Last edited:

bbeach123

For some reason I dont like prey that much but if starfield have some kind of mission like prey (lock on a station with horror elements) it would be amazing .

Last edited:

geary

For modding purposes is kind of state-of-art....No other engine offers you the freedom to do whatever you want in the game from modding perspective. That was always their target...do games which are a modding heaven, not games which push the graphical boundaries.

timothet

For modding purposes is kind of state-of-art....No other engine offers you the freedom to do whatever you want in the game from modding perspective. That was always their target...do games which are a modding heaven, not games which push the graphical boundaries.
True, but being moddable is just one aspect of game engine. Aspect, which console users are completely missing(with some limited exceptions).

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I too vote that leaks etc go in the spoiler thread, which I have on ignore. Its not hard to be polite to those who want to enjoy this game and the forum/discussion about it without spoilers.
3 ....
2 ...
1 ..

I'm outta this bitch

main-qimg-3bb6111c5aa8c9bd1e81e296c337512c

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
It's you who is touting ability to pick every item in the world and item persistence like some unbelievable feat of technological prowess.
But it is? Which other games do this?

True, but being moddable is just one aspect of game engine. Aspect, which console users are completely missing(with some limited exceptions).

What are you talking about? Todd has wanted to introduce modding ever since the 360 days, and with Fallout 4 / Skyrim Anniversary you can mod stuff on consoles.

The fact that it's not fully open is due to the fact that console makers don't want you to run unsigned code on your console, so that's not on BGS thats on Sony/MS/Nintendo. But the fact that the games are moddable on console at all is another unique point. Which other console games let you mod them?

Last edited:

Montauk

You should probably shouldn’t react with a tone that suggests Gamebryo is the bestest and most perfect engine ever when somebody suggests that this ancient engine isn’t best suited for this game and what people want out of it.

I was hardly the only person who reacted with a sigh when it was made clear that they were sticking with their rickety old engine.

Last edited:

timothet

But it is? Which other games do this?
The fact that mainly Bethesda does it doesn't automatically make it exceptional technology- wise. It only means that Bethesda prioritises that feature in their games.

What are you talking about? Todd has wanted to introduce modding ever since the 360 days, and with Fallout 4 / Skyrim Anniversary you can mod stuff on consoles.
"True, but being moddable is just one aspect of game engine. Aspect, which console users are completely missing(with some limited exceptions)."

The fact that it's not fully open is due to the fact that console makers don't want you to run unsigned code on your console, so that's not on BGS thats on Sony/MS/Nintendo. But the fact that the games are moddable on console at all is another unique point. Which other console games let you mod them?
Who said it was Bethesda's fault? I for sure didn't. As for other moddable console games, one example is Minecraft.

MMaRsu

Banned
The fact that mainly Bethesda does it doesn't automatically make it exceptional technology- wise. It only means that Bethesda prioritises that feature in their games.

"True, but being moddable is just one aspect of game engine. Aspect, which console users are completely missing(with some limited exceptions)."

Who said it was Bethesda's fault? I for sure didn't. As for other moddable console games, one example is Minecraft.

Ok but I'm not sure what your trying to say or downplay here. The engine is fit for the type of game they want to make.

You should probably shouldn’t react with a tone that suggests Gamebryo is the bestest and most perfect engine ever when somebody suggests that this ancient engine isn’t best suited for this game and what people want out of it.

I was hardly the only person who reacted with a sigh when it was made clear that they were sticking with their rickety old engine.

I assume none of us here are developers so I'm not going to comment much about it. Their engine fits their needs. There is a clear visual upgrade.

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
This will bees a great game but more like Outer Worlds with randermly genereted tiles I will now have nightmares about tiles

timothet

Ok but I'm not sure what your trying to say or downplay here. The engine is fit for the type of game they want to make.

I assume none of us here are developers so I'm not going to comment much about it. Their engine fits their needs. There is a clear visual upgrade.
I'm trying to say that their engine is showing its age and is not fit for this type of a game. We see plenty of technological limitations.
There are bugs and quirks in their games that were apparent in their older games that they don't bother to fix and are relying on community to take care of them. Having ability to pick up every item doesn't magically make it all go away.

Last edited:

Montauk

First of all, I don’t care about no visual upgrade. That’s not what we’re talking about. And it’s obvious. No one is disputing that they’ve done significant work to improve the engine.

What I’m talking about is the limitations of the engine, an engine that is almost 30 years old at its heart and was never designed to make a game like this, on this scale.

Spoiler, terrain outside of New Atlantis:

Are you really gonna claim that the above is really what Bethesda wanted to achieve, rather than something they had to put up with? Do you seriously think that the dev team will find that ideal, what they had hoped to do?

“Thank god Gamebryo is so perfect and you can’t do this thing that our players will expect you can do. Praise be to Gamebryo, the perfect engine for this unbelievably ambitious game”.

If the engine is fit for purpose, why is what’s happening in that video happening?

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
First of all, I don’t care about no visual upgrade. That’s not what we’re talking about. And it’s obvious. No one is disputing that they’ve done significant work to improve the engine.

What I’m talking about is the limitations of the engine, an engine that is almost 30 years old at its heart and was never designed to make a game like this, on this scale.

Post in thread 'The hype around Starfield is massive, and growing.'

Are you sitting here claiming that the above is really what Bethesda wanted to achieve, rather than something they had to put up with? If the engine is fit for purpose, why is what’s happening in that video happening?
Why dont we wait for the reviews to come out, and the game to come out so we can judge it on our own merits?

Fucking lmao hateposting here

I'm trying to say that their engine is showing its age and is not fit for this type of a game. We see plenty of technological limitations.
There are bugs and quirks in their games that were apparent in their older games that they don't bother to fix and are relying on community to take care of them. Having ability to pick up every item doesn't magically make it all go away.

Fine, dont buy it

Goodbye GIF

Last edited:

timothet

Why dont we wait for the reviews to come out, and the game to come out so we can judge it on our own merits?

Fine, dont buy it

Goodbye GIF
Great rebuttal when faced with objective opinions, blame everything on hateposting :messenger_ok:

I'm planning to get it on day 1, but I'm not delusioning myself that it's gonna be the best game ever with no flaws.

Chukhopops

For some reason I dont like prey that much but if starfield have some kind of mission like prey (lock on a station with horror elements) it would be amazing .
I think it will happen as a sidequest, Fallout had tons of horror elements in some vaults and there’s even an Eldritch / old Gods subplot that goes across several games.

Exploring the deep space and finding an abandoned station, spending an hour looking for clues, figuring out what happened to it is the kind of stuff I really look forward to.

Montauk

Fine, dont buy it

Goodbye GIF

I’m not saying this is going to make the game a bad one.

In fact earlier in this thread you can see me arguing against people portraying certain things as disastrous, like the fact that there are barren areas on planets.

Of course we should judge the game when we’re able to, which isn’t now.

But that doesn’t change the problem that I and others are talking about.

Nobody was excited to hear that they were sticking with Gamebryo and for very obvious reasons. Now you’re pretending that actually the engine is perfect and there could not be a better engine made to meet the needs of this very ambitious game.

Will you be hoping that Bethesda use this engine again for Starfield 2 in 2030? Because most of us will understand that they need to move on to an engine custom built for this kind of game.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Still digging trying to find out if I'll be able to use my flight sticks in the game, but so far can't find anything. Will be disappointing if it doesn't. Really adds to the immersion. Hopefully modders will implement it if BGS hasn't.

Hudo

Still digging trying to find out if I'll be able to use my flight sticks in the game, but so far can't find anything. Will be disappointing if it doesn't. Really adds to the immersion. Hopefully modders will implement it if BGS hasn't.
Maybe a Microsoft Thrustmaster will work? Microsoft are the publisher, after all...

timothet

Same. I have t16000m with foot pedals, so It would be great to have that functionality in for some dogfighting in space.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Maybe a Microsoft Thrustmaster will work? Microsoft are the publisher, after all...

Thrustmaster isn't owned by Microsoft. Typically if one flight stick is supported then all will work. Just have to manually set the bindings. I did that with Everspace 2 and worked great.

Hudo

Thrustmaster isn't owned by Microsoft. Typically if one flight stick is supported then all will work. Just have to manually set the bindings. I did that with Everspace 2 and worked great.
Apologies, I seem to have confused Thrustmaster with Sidewinder. I meant the Microsoft Sidewinder series of joysticks/flight sticks.

Topher

Gold Member
Same. I have t16000m with foot pedals, so It would be great to have that functionality in for some dogfighting in space.

I haven't invested in foot pedals yet. Using a HOSAS setup with a Winwing Orion 2 for pitch, yaw, etc. and a Thurstmaster Airbus for throttle, roll. Works great in my other space games.

Apologies, I seem to have confused Thrustmaster with Sidewinder. I meant the Microsoft Sidewinder series of joysticks/flight sticks.

No worries. I had one of those years ago.

DaGwaphics

I think it will happen as a sidequest, Fallout had tons of horror elements in some vaults and there’s even an Eldritch / old Gods subplot that goes across several games.

Exploring the deep space and finding an abandoned station, spending an hour looking for clues, figuring out what happened to it is the kind of stuff I really look forward to.

These are the things that really make the space setting special. It will be so easy for them to add additional content like this after release as well, they can just pop a derelict ship in here or there.

twilo99

It would be a pretty big oversight on their part if they don’t work..

Top Bottom