• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Great Ace Attorney Personal Hype Thread!

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I know most people in GAF don't care about Ace Attorney series and I know this thread is gonna get buried in no time but Ace Attorney series are my favourite Capcom games of all time
and I have been waiting for Great Ace Attorney to finally get localized here in ages so I decided to make thread celebrating the release of Great Ace Attorney.
8A3OD9l.png

fjvwqI2.jpg

robotnik

Love these games and Shu Takumi is amazing. Pre-order Limited Edition, which contains Ace Attorney trilogy as well. Will replay it first, before starting Great Ace Attorney.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Love these games and Shu Takumi is amazing. Pre-order Limited Edition, which contains Ace Attorney trilogy as well. Will replay it first, before starting Great Ace Attorney.
What makes me excited for Great Ace Attorney is Takumi himself is directed GAA after first Trilogy.

ranmafan

Been wanting to play this game ever since the original Japanese release, and always came very close to buying it in Japanese. But I'm glad I waited. Going to make for a fun game to play next week on the PS5.

Last edited:

Danjin44

But I'm glad I waited. Going to make for a fun game to play next week on the PS5.
I decided to get it on my Switch because it’s type I like to play in my bed before going to sleep.
You could have, you know, added any info
The game already very close to release and any info is on simple google. This is just simple hype thread for people who are excited for the game.

Nico_D

Love love love the first game. 2 and 3 are still sitting in my backlog, because there's just too much stuff to play.

The final case of the third game is mind-blowing. It is just ingenious.

There are other great cases too in those games but that one... damn.

ranmafan

I decided to get it on my Switch because it’s type I like to play in my bed before going to sleep.
I wanted to get it on switch as well but with my joycons all giving me issues I decided to get it on PS this time. I prefer the switch for games like this but this time PS was he best choice for me. I really need to get mine fixed or buy new ones before Super Robot Taisen 30 comes out.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Oh, consider me hyped (to the extent that I can be hyped for a game’s release these days). I played the GAA fan translation a couple years ago and it was very good. I’m eager to see how the game turns out with an official translation - the script is 95% of any AA game, and the fan translation, while very good, wasn’t as wild as what Capcom did with the main series. Nothing can bring back the feel of that first game on the DS, but whoever has even passing interest in the series will find that GAA is very, very good.

Impotaku

Have the box set coming in august as it's been a long time since i played the first 3 on the DS so i thought i have probably forgotten them enough to be able to play through without fully remembering what to do. The other cart i have never played before with the 2 games on so i'm looking forward to going through those. This is one of the few series that i can't play on import as it's just too hard in japanese especially when you are trying to find flaws in the characters testimony it's hard enough in english.

There are still games in the series haven't played like the 2nd Miles Edgeworth game as there was no way i was gonna attempt that in Japanese and Capcom never bothered to release it in english in physical form for the west. Thankfully the japanese switch box set has english on all the games in that one so i'm all set.

Last edited:
Was actually just reading through this interview with Shu Takumi in anticipation of GAA's release. It's from around the time of GAA 2's release and they get into Shu Takumi's inspirations and his feelings on the impact of Ace Attorney, which I really enjoy. The whole thing is a good read but here are some of my favorite bits:

Interviewer: Up until Gyakuten Saiban, mystery games usually starred detectives or police detectives who would solve a case. Why did you decide to have the courtroom feature in your game?

Takumi: To tell you the truth, the motif of the courtroom didn’t even exist at the start. The very first planning concept was that of a “detective game that rewarded the player’s own thinking”. Back then, most mystery games were of the type where you’d not really be solving a mystery yourself, but you’d simply be reading a story, then make a choice out of three, and then see the mystery being solved for you. That is why I wanted to make a game where you’d need to solve the mystery behind the case with your own deductive thinking. That was my starting point. So I started thinking about a game mechanic. “How can I change the passive reading experience of detective games into one where it truly feels like you solve the mystery yourself based on your own reasoning?” From there I arrived at the idea of pointing out the contradictions in utterances of other people, and that was how I first arrived at the idea of an “attorney”.

Seems like Takumi is talking games like Otogirisou or Kamaitachi no Yoru which were dominant in the mid to late 90's.

Interviewer: Most mystery adventure games back then were just about choosing an action out of multiple options, right?

Takumi: Yes. But with that, it doesn’t really feel like you solved the mystery yourself. Also, game consoles have a limited number of buttons. So how could I make an intuitive mechanic for a player to directly input their own deductions? Having them write out their own deductions one letter at a time was troublesome, so what else was there? What I finally arrived at was a mechanic that become the core mechanic of Gyakuten Saiban: confronting the culprit, and presenting evidence to the contradictions in their statements. In Cross-Examination scenes, witnesses usually make about five utterances. Suppose the player has five different pieces of evidence. If you need to prove a contradiction in the witness testimony by presenting a piece of evidence at the precise part, then you’ll have five utterances times five pieces of evidence, so twenty-five options.

Interviewer: It’s not a choice out of three options anymore, but out of twenty-five, so that’s eight times as many.

Takumi: And with that there’s the feeling that you’re truly worked it out yourself, that you made your own reasoning. And I had the feeling at that moment that this may well become a completely new kind of game. At the time, the protagonist was a detective, but I figured that we might try to show that this was a new kind of mystery game, out of fear of not standing out among all those other games. So was there another “professional” in exposing lies besides a detective? And so that’s how we arrived at the defense attorney standing in court. Within the world of mystery fiction exists the courtroom mystery genre, where the defense attorney does their own investigations and stands in court to defend their clients. I was sure there wasn’t a game set in court about a defense attorney yet, so that’s how the project started.

There was a big reason why I decided to have the game set at the end of the nineteenth century. With Gyakuten Saiban 1, 2 and 3, I felt I had used up most of the best parts of mystery fiction. So I started to think about what new things I could come up with for a new series, and that’s when I came up with two key terms: classic mystery and Sherlock Holmes. Holmes was born in the late nineteenth century, became a big hit and with that the detective genre was perfected, or it became enormous popular at the very least. When I was little, Japanese mystery fiction was not as lively as it was now, as authors like Mr. Arisugawa or Mr. Ayatsuji weren’t there yet, so reading mystery fiction back then meant mostly reading classic Western mystery novels from the end of the nineteenth century until the first half of the twentieth century.

Interviewer: Maurice Leblanc’s Lupin series is also from that period, right?

Takumi: Precisely. So I had a large stock of ideas in my mind from late nineteenth century classic mystery. These were all ideas and tricks involving gas lights and omnibuses, ideas that wouldn’t work in the contemporary setting of Gyakuten Saiban, but could only work in the specific time period they originated from. That is why I decided to go with this setting. I also always had the hope of making a Sherlock Holmes game one time, so I figured I might as well use everything for this game. And so I decided to use everything I had to create Dai Gyakuten Saiban (“The Grand Turnabout Trial”).

Makes sense that GAA is the culmination of many ideas Shu has been quietly ruminating on for years, since its so jam packed full of great ideas/great moments.

Interviewer: How did you get hooked on mystery novels?

Takumi: It’s because of the sense of “surprise”. I feel the same about games, but for me, of all the emotions you can get from works of entertainment, the impact a “surprise” has is my favorite. My “first experience” with this feeling of surprise was with reading Edogawa Rampo’s short story Shinri Shiken (The Psychological Test). It’s a story written from the perspective of a college student who is planning a perfect crime, but the whole case is turned around through just a small contradiction. This feeling of seeing how this psychological blind spot, one even the speaker himself didn’t notice, was revealed so brilliantly, that is my original experience. And now I want to create new “surprises”, and I myself am also always on the look for experiences that surprise me. That is probably also what I want from games.

This influence clearly served him well.

Interviewer: And now allow me to go back to the topic of games. Are there any games that left an impression on you when you first played them?

Takumi: I’m from the generation that has seen how games developed since their dawn, so I always thought that “games” had to be something like Breakout or Space Invaders. It was around that time that a PC adventure game was being introduced on television: Mystery House. That left a vivid impression on me. It was a game completely different from what I had known, with only a door on the screen. You’d use the keyboard to input “Open” “Door” and then the door would open. It was such a shock to the things you thought of actually happen on screen. I think that Mystery House was my first experience with a game that genuinely surprised me.

All roads lead back to Roberta Williams. Although this is Japan in the early 80's so Shu's likely talking about (one of) the Japanese knockoff's of Mystery House.
I68ywn7.png
MK6v309.png
lp4F35O.gif

Interviewer: Are there any games from that period that left an impression on you? Doesn’t need to be a Capcom title.

Takumi: I like solving puzzles, so I’d say Myst, or Outer World (Another World/Out of This World) on the Super Famicom. I had always loved 3D and polygon graphics, so I was quite surprised by those graphics on the Super Famicom, and the mysterious world.

Interviewer: Outer World is often mentioned whenever I ask game developers about this.

Takumi: Outer World is a title quite well known among fans. I was told about the game from someone who joined Capcom at the same time, and started playing.

Interviewer: I feel like people looking for edgy titles liked the game.

Takumi: We were all a big fan of it. We’d play in a group, changing controllers whenever someone died (laugh).
This is interesting since the visual style of Ghost Trick always reminded me of Out Of This World.
another-world-screen.png
maxresdefault.jpg

Interviewer: The first Gyakuten Saiban was released in 2001. After that, “Escape the Room” games started to boom on the PC, and now “Real-Life Escape Games” have become popular, and we now even have “Infiltration Games” now. There are other games out there now that take their inspiration from Gyakuten Saiban. How do you feel about that?

Takumi: Ever since the release of Gyakuten Saiban, more games that build on those same mechanics or concepts have been set free upon the adventure game world, and I myself think that’s an honor. To have followers means that I gave birth to something new, something that has strength. I might be a bit cheeky in thinking that I left my footprint somewhere in the corner of the game industry. There is nothing better than that to a game creator.
Shu says he's honored by the games that take inspiration from Ace Attorney, but I wonder how he feels about The Saiban lol.

icBSSZs.png

The only thing more shameless is probably my shameless anticipation of the new GAA collection. Just a few days away, guys!!! Hopefully I can finish Tokyo Twilight Busters before then...

Still waiting for proper discount to buy Trilogy on PSN, never played the series but I like trying different stuff. Btw. that lady in blue dress is hawt, OP.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Pre ordered physical import since Europe only gets digital. Looks great from what I've seen, loved the first three DS games, never played Apollo Justice tho.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Already preordered and fully paid at Gamestop on Switch. One of my best gaming memories was playing the original series on my DS (and then 3DS).

I want the same magic with this.

RNG

I made a JPN Play Store account just to play the fan translation of the first one. Looking forward to the official one.

giphy.gif

GhostOfTsu

Banned
I know most people in GAF don't care about Ace Attorney series and I know this thread is gonna get buried in no time but Ace Attorney series are my favourite Capcom games of all time
and I have been waiting for Great Ace Attorney to finally get localized here in ages so I decided to make thread celebrating the release of Great Ace Attorney.
8A3OD9l.png

fjvwqI2.jpg

Same day as Neo: World ends with you (july 27). Are you getting that too? I'll sell my copy of Skyward Sword HD when I'm done and with the money I'll get Neo. Summer is packed with Scarlet Nexus too (just bought it on PS5 - waiting for shipping) 😅

Impotaku

This is my Physical collection so far, ignore the other random games bundled with them. Have over 400+ DS games now so tracking them down on the shelves to do a group pic is a time consuming job as they are not alphabetically sorted in hiragana lol. These are older pics when i was documenting everything in my collection.
3KrMvom.jpg

Dc8BK3c.jpg

xxNCvBg.jpg

mpdWzrJ.jpg

1Zrd9zk.jpg

lachesis

Actually I am interested in this game and already pre-ordered it a while ago.
That reminds me that I still need to finish Spirit of Justice on my 3DS....
For some reason, I've just dropped and stopped playing that game midway - IIRC, it was some case in the mountain temples et al. (I think I did finish Dual Destinies...)

I played DGS1 back when the fan translation came out a couple of years ago, and my biggest disappointment with it was the low amount of witnesses/suspects for each case. It made it ridiculously easy to deduce who the culprit was in every case just by simple elimination, sometimes before I even finished the first day of investigation.

I hope DGS2 doesn't suffer from that same problem, but I'm quite hyped to play it nonetheless!

Last edited:

Skifi28

I've always been interested in the series, but there's so many of them I don't even know where to begin. Also scared I'm not going to like it in the end as there seems to be little in the way of actual gameplay and it's all about being invested in the characters/cases which seems hit or miss.

Nico_D

I think the who has always been the most obvious part in the games. And personally the least interesting. It is the how and proving it that makes the games.

Nico_D

I've always been interested in the series, but there's so many of them I don't even know where to begin. Also scared I'm not going to like it in the end as there seems to be little in the way of actual gameplay and it's all about being invested in the characters/cases which seems hit or miss.

Start with the first one. And there's actually quite a lot of gameplay. Investigations is like visual novel but with adventure game like clicking - but the court battles are something else.

Never tried them or watched really anything about the series. Will I find interest in it like I find interest in 8+ hour deposition videos?

Danjin44

Never tried them or watched really anything about the series. Will I find interest in it like I find interest in 8+ hour deposition videos?
Maybe watch couple of videos and see if you enjoy the gameplay loop. I personally love characters and humour and love, LOVE the court battles!! Especially some of the witness's exaggerated expression when they caught lying.

And the music!!!

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Maybe watch couple of videos and see if you enjoy the gameplay loop. I personally love characters and humour and love, LOVE the court battles!! Especially some of the witness's exaggerated expression when they caught lying.
Have you played Judgment? There's some pretty good referencing, nods, and straight up quotes from this series. There's also some courtroom style bits as well as segments where you have to gather evidence and provide the correct ones for each situation.

Danjin44

Have you played Judgment? There's some pretty good referencing, nods, and straight up quotes from this series. There's also some courtroom style bits as well as segments where you have to gather evidence and provide the correct ones for each situation.
I might give that game a try but for now I'm stacked with games, I still haven't finished SMTIII and FFVIIR INTERGRADE and I have Great Ace Attorney, No More Heroes III, Tales of Arise, SMT5 and Advance War 1&2 in upcoming months.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'm picking it up day 1 since the series is awesome. I don't know when I will be able to even schedule this in my backlog though. Might be next year at this rate lol. I just started Bravely Default II.

Part 1 of the great ace attoney is ok but man part 2 is awesome with so many twist and turn. One cab clearly tell it is meant to be 1 game but they got to spilt it in 2.

Last edited:
Top Bottom