• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Grandia thread

Krathoon

Here is a thread for all things Grandia.
I am currently enjoying an English patched version of Grandia 1 for the Sega Saturn. I also played some Grandia 2 for the Dreamcast.

The Saturn version of Grandia 1 is technically better than the Playstation version. There are more sprites per character, shadows, and more detailed floor textures.
The problem is that it only came out in Japan.

Grandia 2 seems interesting because it has a lady demon. It seems like a darker game.

Grandia 3 is very cliche, but the gameplay is good.

So, let's talk Grandia.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I love Grandia 2 but it's the only game in the series I've played / beat.

I should probably play through the other games at some point...

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I hated Grandia 2s final boss. So easy, so weak, so underwhelming, the awful visual design that's laugh worthy of being the big evil, and the character itself.

Grandia 1 is aces though! Justin is a baller and the whole journey start to finish was special. Loved the final boss there and it was difficult AF.

Oddly enough never played another Grandia. I was always interested in 3 and Xtreme or whatever, but I didn't have a ps2 anymore at the time.

I'd be down for a HD remaster on steam to try them.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I had Grandia II on Dreamcast back when it came out. G2 has some great characters, corny dialogue, and good combat. By the time X came out on PS2 I had moved on. I did play the original with a friend back in high school. I never bothered getting Grandia III. I’ve almost talked myself into getting the port on PSN, but I never do it. I wouldn’t say it’s one of my favorite JRPGs, but it definitely had some interesting combat mechanics. I’ll definitely revisit the original if I can get it on sale. I dabbled with it on the Vita a couple years ago. I forgot how clustered together the towns gets.

Y0ssarian

Banned
I got the HD Collection for Switch but got distracted with other games. Maybe I should give them a shot soon?

Krathoon

In Grandia 1, I have to slay the Orc King in the mines to prove I am an adventurer. Really, it does not seem like a nice thing to do. So much killing in these games.

As fucking corney as Grandia 1 was, it's also endearing and awesome. It has a great Original Soundtrack. The End game is also very easy but somewhat fun. I have a special place for that game. G2 and 3 I am still playing through.

cireza

I never managed to complete 1 as the game is a bit repetitive, especially having to look at all the spells, waiting for the screens before and after battles. It takes too much time...

I was decided to play it again with the translation but the game crashed last time and I lost some progress...

Completed 2 back in the day, it was very solid gameplay wise but the characters weren't that great.

Never played 3.

Last edited:

nush

ford-granada.jpg

1980-Ford-Granada-06-07.jpg

Rat Rage

Grandia 1 is just amazing. Among the Top 5 JRPGs of all time.

Is the english Saturn patch finally 100% complete? last time I checked only the translation of the cutscenes was supposedly missing.

Labadal

I only played the first two Grandia games. Unfortunately, I never got the chance to play the third one or Xtreme.

I like both G1 and G2, but hold the first one in higher regard. I love the sense of adventure the game evokes, plus combat is super fun. There are also many likeable charactets.

The visuals in Grandia II has aged very poorly, but the combat is very solid. I liked exploration and characters a little less than G1, but overall, it was a good game.

It's a shame they decided that Europe weren't worthy of the other two games in the series.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Grandia probably has one of the best soundtracks of the time in my opinion, I actually prefer Iwadare's work in Grandia over Lunar in many cases just because of the breadth it has. I rather liked the story, not in spite of its juvenile tone , but because of it.
The game never takes it self too seriously and the characters just leap out because of it.

Grandia II is BY FAR the best game in the series. It's fun, looks and sounds great, has at least 40 hours of gameplay, and in my opinion, had a satisfactory (and lengthy) story. Plus, it's on the Dreamcast and that is the best version of Grandia II by a landslide. The PS2 version is a pile of dog vomit and the PC version is glitched like crazy.

Grandia III and beyond, I don't even consider them anymore. Let's not talk about it.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Grandia 2 on the dreamcast was superb. IF you like that I would highly suggest playing my favorite RPG ever, Skies of Arcadia Legends. Yes the gamecube version because it's more refined.

bit_blaster

Neo Member
Grandia 1 is one of my favorite JRPGs, however I couldn't get into 2 because I felt it was a bit sluggish and I really hated the main protagonist.

SkylineRKR

Grandia 2 is the best. Personally I liked the MGS voice cast. The game doesn't overstay its welcome and has excellent combat.

Grandia 1 was a bit too kiddy, but I remember it as a bigger game than 2. In fact I played this on the Saturn, you could grab for like 5 bucks and play with a printed guide.

Grandia 3 is one of my regrets. I bought it, and never finished it. I got bored with the huge enemy counts, and the fact they seem to interrupt you constantly. The combat felt broken to me. I was reasonably far into the game. The story was terrible up to that point, the 2 best characters go AWOL for reasons. Its a mess. Graphics were amazing, combat at first felt like GOAT tier to me. I'd like to replay it some day.

I've only played 2, but it's easily one of my favourite games of all time.
It's pretty short (someone above mentioned 40 hours? It's been closer to 25 for me) and super linear (you never even have a choice of which character to put in your party), but the combat system is one of the greatest I've ever seen, and the dialogues were great. Also pretty easy once you get a hang of the system and start abusing shit lol.

A freind bought me the HD Remaster a while ago on Steam, but the framerate was terrible for some reason (24fps, or 48 in "60fps" mode, but neither felt smooth at all, even compared to the original) so I only played it for a couple of hours. screw that, according to Steam that was only 23 minutes...

Last edited:

BlackTron

Grandia 2 on the dreamcast was superb. IF you like that I would highly suggest playing my favorite RPG ever, Skies of Arcadia Legends. Yes the gamecube version because it's more refined.

Interesting that you should say this. I played both back on DC and found Skies of Arcadia too tedious and slow for my tastes. I did manage to make it through the game but it felt like I had lifted a weight off my shoulders and never felt the desire to play it again. When I finished Grandia II, I wished it hadn't ended.

Kokoloko85

Grandia 1&2 are great. 1 is one of my favourites of all time. It was one of the first JRPG’s I played and finished

SkylineRKR

Interesting that you should say this. I played both back on DC and found Skies of Arcadia too tedious and slow for my tastes. I did manage to make it through the game but it felt like I had lifted a weight off my shoulders and never felt the desire to play it again. When I finished Grandia II, I wished it hadn't ended.

Skies has a terrible battle system, but one of the best OST's ever and its story, world building and characters are very good. Grandia 2's battle system blows Skies out of the water but for the rest Skies is better.

I couldn't fathom the GC release because of the music sounding so canned. Its one of the strongest points of this game. The ideal version has the DC music quality and the GC content. Its probably done by modders.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Grandia 2 has the better voice cast but the better game? lol nah. Game bigs up Melfice as this force to be reckoned with and you kill him the first encounter you come across him. Game needed like at least an additional 10 hours of content or so, it doesn't feel rushed but it's way too short.

BlackTron

Skies has a terrible battle system, but one of the best OST's ever and its story, world building and characters are very good. Grandia 2's battle system blows Skies out of the water but for the rest Skies is better.

I couldn't fathom the GC release because of the music sounding so canned. Its one of the strongest points of this game. The ideal version has the DC music quality and the GC content. Its probably done by modders.

Yes, Skies was a better anime than it was a game.

But I bought a game.

Krathoon

I am at the part in Grandia where you have to kill the Orc King in the mine to prove your an adventurer and get the boat pass from the old man.

Krathoon

This reminds me when you have to kill that family of monsters at the start of Chrono Cross. It feels kind of wrong.

Top Bottom