• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Final Fantasy 14 live-action TV series is "dead" according to its studio's co-founder

Draugoth

Gold Member
DPgun3iz4VmTK8NkXejqWa-970-80.jpg.webp

Source

Now, almost five years after the show's announcement, one of the co-founders of Hivemind has called time on the long-awaited TV show. "Dead," Dinesh Shamdasani responds to a fan who asks what happened to the project. "We took around a fantastic pilot script by Ben Lustig & @jakethornton along with a multi-season plan they built with our showrunners but got rejected across the board."

Would have been interesting to see a prequel of sorts detailing the story that led to the events leading up to the relaunch of the game.

Also, just to throw this in after having just finished up A Plague Tale: Requiem - someone, please make a series out of that. There's so much they could do with that even if it's for a few seasons.

Final Fantasy just isn't somehting people outside of it's fanbase will care about, the movie proved that over 20 years ago, for something like a movie or TV series, you've got to get non-fans on board too for it to be a success.

Doom85

Final Fantasy just isn't somehting people outside of it's fanbase will care about, the movie proved that over 20 years ago, for something like a movie or TV series, you've got to get non-fans on board too for it to be a success.

If you’re talking Spirits Within, even most FF fans don’t like that movie.
If you’re talking Advent Children, it was a sequel to a game and anyone who hadn’t played it would be mostly lost watching the movie.

They’ve yet to make just a straight up adaptation of one of the games which could work, or an original story that still feels like FF (because lord knows Spirits Within didn’t).

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I bet you anything once FFVII Rebirth comes out, they will also try make live action of FFVII…..I guess they are running out of Marvel IP to make movie from.

Last edited:

Madflavor

I'm honestly a bit surprised we still don't have a FFXIV Anime.

Live Action was a horrible idea though. Some things just won't translate well to live action, not to mention the insane amount of required CGI. They can't even manage more grounded fantasy like The Witcher, Ring of Power and Wheel of Time.

Kumomeme

"The size and scale needed to do it right proved too much for anyone to want to risk," before revealing: "Amazon came closest."

"It was a real result of Covid unfortunately. We took it out just as studios began to zip up their purse strings."

well atleast they tried with large budget with indicate they did try to do it 'right'

for those who not aware of FF14 setting is, check out one of their cinematic trailer. imagine what kind of effort need to turn that world into live action adaptation.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

I'm honestly a bit surprised we still don't have a FFXIV Anime.

Live Action was a horrible idea though. Some things just won't translate well to live action, not to mention the insane amount of required CGI. They can't even manage more grounded fantasy like The Witcher, Ring of Power and Wheel of Time.
yeah FFXIV anime should be no brainer. im surpise there is not even one. not to mention how popular 14 at japan is.

what laughable is, even Genshin Impact got anime adaptation by Ufotable LMAO

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Out of all the Final Fantasy worlds to base a story in, an MMO doesn't make a ton of sense from an appeal standpoint. Writing, it's a dream come true, but it's a hard bait for what a lot would consider a really expensive role play in Eorzea dressing.

Killjoy-NL

Out of all the Final Fantasy worlds to base a story in, an MMO doesn't make a ton of sense from an appeal standpoint. Writing, it's a dream come true, but it's a hard bait for what a lot would consider a really expensive role play in Eorzea dressing.
FFXIV easily has one of the best storylines and lore in any FF.

And since it can pretty much be considered a singleplayer MMO, I don't see why any other FF would be more suitable.

I would actually love to see a series covering the storyline up until Bahamut (Up until A Realm Reborn).
But apart from me not even knowing they were working on a live-action tv series, I'm not bothered by this news.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

this is apply if FF14 just another regular MMO out there. but FF14 nature is different than what people would usually expected from a MMO. it is a single player based MMO. heavy story oriented first, MMO content second. it has rich story, characters, worldbuilding and lore.

also even if thats not the case, a story based on an MMO world would be interesting, which is depend on the writer creativity.

Last edited:

Danjin44

this is apply if FF14 just another regular MMO out there. but FF14 nature is different than what people would usually expected from a MMO. it is a single player based MMO. heavy story oriented first, MMO content second. it has rich story, characters, worldbuilding and lore.

also even if thats not the case, a story based on an MMO world would be interesting, which is depend on the writer creativity.
Similar to Shangri-La Frontier?
65da57f59e5c3a3b48cde3bc82170388.jpg

Danjin44

i havent watch this anime yet

but MMO world should has lot of interesting lore and worldbuilding, which is depend on the source material, could be worth exploring.
Its good show and its not like SAO or .hack when they die, they also die in real life.....It just about them playing MMO and challenging themselves and main character is skilled player but his not OP.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

Its good show and its not like SAO or .hack when they die, they also die in real life.....It just about them playing MMO and challenging themselves and main character is skilled player but his not OP.
ok now you get my attention over the anime. honestly i been avoiding lot of isekai or MMO anime out there due to been dissapointed to lot of it and i basically end up tired of it. will looking for it later.

Last edited:
Top Bottom