• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Final Boss thread

Hey GAF, figured I'd make a thread on Final Bosses in games! What are some of your favorite final bosses? What are some of your favorite final boss themes? What's your first ever final boss that you've encountered in a video game?

The one that I remember the most (and I think was my first ever final boss in a game) is Sonic 3 and Knuckles, Knuckles vs. now whose popularly known as Mecha Sonic. Nothing short of epic! First, you get grabbed by Egg Robo and can't escape. Then Mecha Sonic comes out of nowhere, with this doomy and gloomy sounding final boss music, and in the nick of time Knuckles was able to escape the Egg Robo's grasp before Mecha Sonic shreds Egg Robo into bits! I was horrified to witness that when I was younger lol. Then phase 1 of the battle starts! When it finishes, you find out that you merely deactivated Mecha Sonic, and then he wakes up and retreats towards the Master Emerald to draw energy for his next phase. This music plays next, which really sets the mood because it literally sounds like revenge in music form. Epic things happen in this second phase, like Mecha Sonic becoming Super, doing really OP attacks against you, etc. So yea Knuckles vs. Mecha Sonic is definitely a highlight of my favorite final boss battles, not only because of the fights themselves and the really great musics that play alongside them, but because of Angel Island in the background, floating there as if it's fate is hanging in the balance while the two duke it out.

mike-tyson-punch-out.JPG

His ruthlessness in the ring is legendary.

Last edited:

DubReno

For me the one that sticks out the most in my memory is Zelda Ocarina of Time. Sure the Ganon fight isn't exactly hard (just roll under his legs, slap tail with hammer, rinse and repeat until you get sword and do it again), but the first time it happened I thought I was done since I already beat him. Boom, breaks out of the rubble of his castle, activates his piece of the triforce and morphs into Ganon and now you are faced with this hulking behemoth without your sword. Left quite the impression on younger me.

And I think the best part about that fight was the music, it has such a different feel from the rest of the game making it really stand out. It did such a great job at conveying the feeling of fear, but having the determination to fight anyways.

Sure it's not the best fight mechanically, but something about it always sticks out in my mind when thinking of final bosses.

Also I forgot to mention how whenever Ganon lands a hit you can hear Zelda gasp in terror. Just a small little touch that adds so much.

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Senator Armstrong - Metal Gear Rising(this one always comes to my mind first when i see a boss thread)
Zeus - God Of War 2
The Boss- MGS 3- Snake Eater
Liquid Snake- MGS 1
Recently i liked Slave Knight Geal - Dark Souls 3(it's like the final boss of Dark Souls trilogy)

Physiocrat

The one that immediately comes to mind in Metal Sonic followed by Dr Robotnik at the end of Sonic 2. It was incredibly hard because you had zero rings for the whole battle.

Fbh

The Final Boss of the Ringed City DLC in Dark Souls 3 (and since it was the final DLC, also the actual final Boss of DS3 in a way) is amazing:

The setting, the challenge, the way it evolves visually and musically as the fight progresses and gets more challenging. It's all so fucking good.

sackings

Vergil 3 (although one could argue Vergil 2 is even better...) in DMC3SE.
Senator Armstrong with that boss OST in the background.
Lord of Cinder for the feels and nostalgia
Gehrman has one of the greatest final boss tracks of all time...

Soodanim

Gold Member
Dark Souls 3 comes to mind, because it comes full circle for the 2nd phase and takes everything back to where it started, signified by the instantly recognisable piano music that lays over the top of the music that has been playing. What a moment.

Kao The Kangaroo

Neo Member
Not a final boss, but my new fav is Moloch from Outriders.
He looks so badass, he's got a great story, and seeing him enter the fight always hypes me up!

KNkn51h.jpg
GsMyFWM.jpg

Top Bottom