• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Continental: From the World of John Wick | Official Teaser

Stitch

Gold Member
The three-part event series will explore the origin behind the iconic hotel-for-assassins centerpiece of the John Wick universe through the eyes and actions of a young Winston Scott, as he’s dragged into the Hell-scape of 1970’s New York City to face a past he thought he’d left behind. Winston charts a deadly course through the hotel’s mysterious underworld in a harrowing attempt to seize the hotel where he will eventually take his future throne.

Peacock in the US, Prime Video in other countries

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I am very hopeful this is good along with the upcoming Ballerina movie. The world and mythos of the John Wick universe is fascinating and this is an excellent opportunity for them to flesh it out even more to where you don't need John Wick himself to be there.

Stitch

Gold Member
Can anyone stay there or just those that are under the Table?
Maybe we will find out in this show, but I guess if a normie walks in they'll say that they're fully booked.
You can't even pay with normal money there, only with weird gold coins.

Little Mac

Gold Member
Season 7 Reaction GIF by The Office

Power Pro

This is gonna be an unpopular opinion, but all the sequels, and stuff like this miss the entire point of why I liked the first John Wick. JW2-4 did nothing much for me beyond (oh yeah, that actions cool), and seeing movies with good action is not really hard. The lore of this world was interesting in the background of the first JW, but the more they explore it, and brought it to the forefront, the less I cared. It became about the world, and less about the characters.

The first JW was so effective to me because it was at it's core a relatable personal story. Simple, but effective. For animal lovers, it was easy to side with John Wick, because anyone who kills a puppy totally deserves to die, so you root for him the whole movie. Plus...I kinda liked the first John Wick because John himself was rarely at a disadvantage. It was like watching a horror movie, where you're rooting for the killer. He was always in the shadows and just murdering everyone who didn't have a chance through a lot of the first movie. Unstoppable to an insane level where no obstacle could stop him. That setup might not have worked well for sequels, but the first movie didn't need sequels. After seeing them, I probably would've been fine without them also, because none of them made me feel anything, while the first one always engaged me on multiple viewings.

BossLackey

Gold Member
This is gonna be an unpopular opinion, but all the sequels, and stuff like this miss the entire point of why I liked the first John Wick. JW2-4 did nothing much for me beyond (oh yeah, that actions cool), and seeing movies with good action is not really hard. The lore of this world was interesting in the background of the first JW, but the more they explore it, and brought it to the forefront, the less I cared. It became about the world, and less about the characters.

The first JW was so effective to me because it was at it's core a relatable personal story. Simple, but effective. For animal lovers, it was easy to side with John Wick, because anyone who kills a puppy totally deserves to die, so you root for him the whole movie. Plus...I kinda liked the first John Wick because John himself was rarely at a disadvantage. It was like watching a horror movie, where you're rooting for the killer. He was always in the shadows and just murdering everyone who didn't have a chance through a lot of the first movie. Unstoppable to an insane level where no obstacle could stop him. That setup might not have worked well for sequels, but the first movie didn't need sequels. After seeing them, I probably would've been fine without them also, because none of them made me feel anything, while the first one always engaged me on multiple viewings.

Could not agree more. Every John Wick movie got worse and worse after the first one. They completely missed the mark when it came to what I loved about the first one and now it's just SO silly.

Punished Miku

Gold Member

100% agree.

SJRB

Gold Member

They quadrupled-down on the nonsense and it cost them the suspension of disbelief.

JW1 at least tries to be grounded in some form of reality where yes, there is some shadow organization with its own rules, but it operates by clear to understand rules and boundaries. It all just makes sense.

The sequels take these goalposts the first movie sets and just move them completely outside the stadium into the realm of ridiculousness. It's impossible to get invested in a story when the narrative itself is constantly changing its rules because.. why care?

Maybe this show will bring it back. It looks very stylish, at least.

Last edited:

kicker

Banned

For real though, I'll definitely check it out, but it'll be too hard to look past what appears to be a cash grab.

They cannot convince me they planned out the continental's lore beyond the first wick movie.

bitbydeath

I agree to an extent, but for me, the most memorable scene of the entire series is the knife fight in JW3. SoGood.gif

ahtlas7

It’s not a completely unpopular opinion, you’re just brave enough to voice it.
JW has devolved into a Wyle E. Coyote / Roadrunner level of comedy action. Not much difference than any Jason Statham or recent F&F movie. I don’t understand the necessity to go completely brainless with these action movies.

Yep. I don't know what the obsession is with all that "world building" stuff. It's just outer dressing for the core of the story, to give flavor. Just because it's a hotel instead of an underground base and they use coins and have esoteric code of conduct doesn't change the fact that we've had these secret assassin society tropes since forever. There's nothing particularly unique about it.I think it is because our media landscape has become so homogenous both producers and audiences are one the prowl for ANYTHING different at this point.

The world of John Wick is nothing without Keanu. It only works because of what we know about him as an actor, and how he turns from the quiet, humble man we know into a monster adept with all kinds of guns and judo once the baba yaga is awakened inside him. Then back again to that awkward loner, when he's in between the action. THAT's the draw of the franchise.

Cyberpunkd

Agree on all counts, these things are precisely why JW1 was such a great movie. That feeling that you know John will kill all of them easily, and there is nothing they can do to stop it was great.

Last edited:

BlackTron

I enjoy them all but the first is still BY FAR the best and most memorable. The thing about these JW movies is that, even though the first is far more distinct, the sequels aren't so much worse you can't enjoy the ride. I still think it's a net positive to get these JW movies unlike say, Taken's sequel which I could have gone without being made completely lol.

Maybe this will be a good show in its own right, but it would have to be for completely different strengths than what originally made JW so great. If you showed up for the story about a guy who goes apeshit and kills everyone over his dog, you won't necessarily care about a criminal hotel story in the 70s. Even if it's well-made, it's new territory. Without Keanu, it's connected with nothing but writing. We watch the sequels to see the Dog Avenger kick ass over and over riding on the strength of the first movie's story.

John Bilbo

You are right. The story of the first one including the ending was satisfactory and the story and the never ending struggle of John Wick in the sequels is based on an excuse to milk the success of the first one. It's so frustrating to watch.

Reminds me of The Saw movies and The Last of Us 2.

DKehoe

I like the John Wick films but I don't think that world needs to be mined for every possible spin-off. It's a fun world but they were clearly making it up as they went along and I feel like if you start really building it up then it might become obvious how little sense it makes.

Rockondevil

Anyone given this a go?

I didn’t hate it and it’s probably captured me for the next two episodes.

I’ve always been interested in the lore, so even a little bit more is interesting.

I’m glad it’s a short series and hopefully it only goes up from here.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Anyone given this a go?

I didn’t hate it and it’s probably captured me for the next two episodes.

I’ve always been interested in the lore, so even a little bit more is interesting.

I’m glad it’s a short series and hopefully it only goes up from here.
I wanted to watch it, but it got like a 5 from ign.

Action is so much more satisfying with a good story and compelling motivations behind it. And yes, they’ve given up on that.
I think that's also why Nobody along with the first Taken and Equalizer films were all pretty entertaining, and why the sequels didn't work as well. It's a fun genre, but it probably works best as an isolated story.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
All the best sequels in history seem to be as complex or narrative heavy as their original outings (or lacking in the same ways) As far as worldbuilding goes, the scope expands, but there's always a key inversion over the predecessor, like Arnie being the good guy this time, or there's more aliens than just the one! I feel like a good sequel invests in worldbuilding, but the world is only built enough to give the viewer enough of a playground to explore the ramifications of that one key inversion.

For a sequel to part 1, you only need enough real estate to support two movies.

For a sequel to part 2, you only need enough real estate to support three, and on and on.

Modern Hollywood is still stuck in the old guard mindset of like fifteen years ago where MCU is the holy grail and we need to create a cinematic universe for every IP that ever I'd it's P, to the point where the guy serving at the restaurant in Mrs. Doubtfire now needs a Peacock series.

Top Bottom