• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The changes introduced with Season 2 of Diablo 4 are pretty fun but man, that battle pass shit just makes me want to find something else to play

Drizzlehell

Banned
This really bugs me. I know that battle passes only gatekeep the cosmetic stuff that I don't actually need for anything, you really don't have to keep repeating that stuff to me. But I honestly fail to see how is that supposed to make it okay to have these battle passes in the game in the first place.

Do you know what had me coming back to Diablo 3 over and over for so many years every time a new season dropped? A chance to get some cool unique loot and cosmetics that you couldn't get any other way. And you know what was the best thing about that? It only cost me my time - a time that I spent playing the game and getting rewarded for doing so by winning some unique gear sets!

But now, Diablo 4 says "fuck that! You gots to pay us more money, you fiend!"

And if you'll refuse because it's "just cosmetics bro", then you can go ahead and enjoy the experience of speed running the seasonal content by completing a laundry list of chores while Bizzard keeps about 70% of your rewards behind a paywall. So essentially, when compared to Diablo 3, it is 70% more pointless to play these seasons unless you donate some money towards Bobby Kotick's trust fund development of the game. A game that you've already spent a 100 bucks on and it wasn't even that great to begin with because it took a lot of steps back compared to the last game.

Honestly, the only thing that's holding me back from simply flushing this shit down the toilet is that the basic gameplay is just fun. I like playing this game. And it makes it all the more annoying how money-hungry and passionless modern day Activision Blizzard are.

gothmog

Gold Member
This season is much better than the last, but it showering you with endless loot makes me feel like this is desperate effort to save the game.

I'm enjoying the season. I neither notice nor care that I'm missing stuff from the BP. They really need to give you enough currency for the next season BP if you max out a previous BP. I'm about halfway through the BP progression, need to probably spend a few dollars to get the BP, and I still don't feel any urge to buy it.

So I'm not writing it off but the clock is ticking. They really need sets and a feedback system that tells you when your are not on a good path for better loot. That's the real killer here. Once progression slows down the game becomes incredibly boring.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
“….that battle pass shit just makes me want to find something else to play”

do it jewish GIF

This really bugs me. I know that battle passes only gatekeep the cosmetic stuff that I don't actually need for anything, you really don't have to keep repeating that stuff to me. But I honestly fail to see how is that supposed to make it okay to have these battle passes in the game in the first place.

Do you know what had me coming back to Diablo 3 over and over for so many years every time a new season dropped? A chance to get some cool unique loot and cosmetics that you couldn't get any other way. And you know what was the best thing about that? It only cost me my time - a time that I spent playing the game and getting rewarded for doing so by winning some unique gear sets!

But now, Diablo 4 says "fuck that! You gots to pay us more money, you fiend!"

And if you'll refuse because it's "just cosmetics bro", then you can go ahead and enjoy the experience of speed running the seasonal content by completing a laundry list of chores while Bizzard keeps about 70% of your rewards behind a paywall. So essentially, when compared to Diablo 3, it is 70% more pointless to play these seasons unless you donate some money towards Bobby Kotick's trust fund development of the game. A game that you've already spent a 100 bucks on and it wasn't even that great to begin with because it took a lot of steps back compared to the last game.

Honestly, the only thing that's holding me back from simply flushing this shit down the toilet is that the basic gameplay is just fun. I like playing this game. And it makes it all the more annoying how money-hungry and passionless modern day Activision Blizzard are.
You should find something else to play, fuck actiblizz.

MiguelItUp

The monetization is awful. At one point I was one of the many that was like, "It's just cosmetics, whatever." But as time has gone on, it just turned me off more, and more, and more. Because the idea of paying for a full price game that comes with a ton of monetization that is also pretty pricey just feels so incredibly money hungry. I enjoyed D4 enough to play it through, and I figured it's only going to get better with time much like the previous games. However, the monetization stuff is never going to change. It's gross.

I ve abandoned the ship after 3 hours, when it was released this summer and never looked back. Fuck em, they had the chance, to make something out of it, but they blew it like everything else they touch. Upcoming blizzcon will be fubar.

Reactions: Isa
Well, since we're on the subject... got any recommendations for what I could play that would make me resent myself for doing so?
Would? Any current actiblizz live service game, but really if you want to feel devalued the world is your oyster in the gaming market.

Wouldn't? Grim Dawn is an exceptional arpg and they are working on another expansion. I kind of think of it as the diablo 3 we never got (though I personally quite liked D3, it was extremely good arcadey fun and you are absolutely right about the season gear being the seasonal breath of fresh air games like that need)

Zathalus

Diablo 3 cosmetics? What cosmetics? The new seasons added very few new sets or pets. Diablo 4 also has new free cosmetics added in seasons, the new mount off the one Uber boss:

Last edited:

Bry0

Yeah most the paid items in the BP are inconsequential but it’s always shoved right in your face whenever checking the seasonal journey tasks. Annoying.

StereoVsn

I fired D4 during this last weekends free play and it just didn’t feel that great from gameplay aspect.

Am I crazy or does D3 feel better to play? I actually don’t mind more colors in the environment either vs very drab stuff for D4.

Tg89

Honestly just play D3 or D2. Both are superior games for different reasons so depending what you're looking for one should scratch the itch. PoE is another great alternative.

D4 just sucks unfortunately. I think at this point, assuming it will get better in any meaningful way is just a bunch of copium - Blizzard is no longer good at making games.

MirageMew2

Have you actually been prompted to pay for a Battle Pass? I used my digital deluxe token on Season 1 and Season 2 still had a free redeem. I’ve yet to “pay” for a Battle Pass in D4.

Kaleinc

Banned
Actiblizz discovered a great reverse ho goldmine.
They fuck you and instead of paying you - you pay them.
Can't deny the work of genius

Drizzlehell

Banned
Would? Any current actiblizz live service game, but really if you want to feel devalued the world is your oyster in the gaming market.

Wouldn't? Grim Dawn is an exceptional arpg and they are working on another expansion. I kind of think of it as the diablo 3 we never got (though I personally quite liked D3, it was extremely good arcadey fun and you are absolutely right about the season gear being the seasonal breath of fresh air games like that need)
Oh I played that. To me it was more of a Titan Quest with a Halloween skin, though. It's a really fun game, I loved both it and Titan Quest back in the day, but it didn't really have any staying power for me once I completed the campaign.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Have you actually been prompted to pay for a Battle Pass? I used my digital deluxe token on Season 1 and Season 2 still had a free redeem. I’ve yet to “pay” for a Battle Pass in D4.
People who say this remind of that game reviewer guy who covered his eyes when he saw some boobies in Yakuza.

"Battle Pass? What Battle Pass? I didn't see nuthin'! See? When I cover my eyes and push a button it all goes away, I don't have to look at it!"

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Honestly just play D3 or D2. Both are superior games for different reasons so depending what you're looking for one should scratch the itch. PoE is another great alternative.

D4 just sucks unfortunately. I think at this point, assuming it will get better in any meaningful way is just a bunch of copium - Blizzard is no longer good at making games.
Yeah, I might just go back to playing D3. They still do seasons for it so might as well enjoy while it lasts because there's no way they're gonna keep it up forever.

I fired D4 during this last weekends free play and it just didn’t feel that great from gameplay aspect.

Am I crazy or does D3 feel better to play? I actually don’t mind more colors in the environment either vs very drab stuff for D4.
I guess I was always one of those players who cared more about the gameplay loop more than the legacy of the first two games. For what it was, I thought that D3 had perfectly fine visual style and it was an overall fun action game with a spooky setting.

MirageMew2

People who say this remind of that game reviewer guy who covered his eyes when he saw some boobies in Yakuza.

"Battle Pass? What Battle Pass? I didn't see nuthin'! See? When I cover my eyes and push a button it all goes away, I don't have to look at it!"

You’re complaining the game is asking for your money and I’m telling you they haven’t even charged for the Battle Pass yet two seasons in.

I don’t even disagree with your premise, BPs should be illegal in $70 games

gothmog

Gold Member
You’re complaining the game is asking for your money and I’m telling you they haven’t even charged for the Battle Pass yet two seasons in.

I don’t even disagree with your premise, BPs should be illegal in $70 games
I just have the regular D4 and I was both charged for S1 and would be charged for S2 if I cared to purchase it.

Saber

Gold Member
Then play something else. Why keeping stuck in something knowing they are forcing your hand? They already got your money so they don't care about you. They just want to suck you dry.

Shodai

Activision doesn't respect your time and their monetization model has made it clear they have no integrity. Why would you support such a company, especially over what is at best a mid-quality game?

Draugoth

Gold Member
I finished Season 2 in 3 days with my character on level 70 after i got the BP for free.

Didnt even bother doing the challenges, too boring.

I finished Season 2 in 3 days with my character on level 70 after i got the BP for free.

Didnt even bother doing the challenges, too boring.
Did you get the deluxe and had a token remaining or how did you get the BP for free? Might have to boot D4 up on my PS5 if they're giving free shit.

Neofire

I agree with you to a certain degree about the battle pass but it doesn't take away from how much i am enjoying season 2.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I’ve got to the part where the angle dude goes into to fight the evil lady and I haven’t touched it since. 🤷‍♂️

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Haven’t played the new Season yet, but from my understanding there’s free new content. Also some of the cosmetics are free, although not as nice as the paid shit.
The season pass thing just doesn’t faze me. For me the challenge is finding the desire to play through all of it again. I never had that issue with Diablo 3, because it was far less bloated.

Last edited:

marquimvfs

Yeah, controls are akward and D4 isn't as fun as D3. If they only made a D3 with better graphics I bet people would complain, but in the end, they would be more satisfied than they are now.

Neolombax

For me, playing Seasons is just something to push me to try out other classes. Its a nice added incentive that they add in some new story bits and new abilities and so on. When I run out of classes to play as, I'd probably stop playing. The loot chase isn't exciting, there is no real chase for endgame for me.

Ozzie666

Sublte but different design philosphy impacting game design and Diablo 4 is suffering for it. Never design a game around a battle pass or micro transactions.

The game needs to be F2P to have this sort of ongoing system in it.

I say this as someone who has paid for battle passes and currently plays multiple GAAS games.

My brain can't rationalize paying $100 CAD for an amazing 40 hour experience, and then an additional $20 for 1/1000 the level of content and experience. It highlights a very obvious lack of value that feels unattractive

If the game was free to play, I'd be 300 hours deep, and approaching my third $20 pass. I think that level of engagement is more important long term than 500 million dollars in the first month.

Boneless

I already quit before the first season hit. The skins in-game suck and they clearly paygate the 'cool' ones so they can suck you dry of your money.

DavidGzz

The seasons have voice acting, cut scenes, a lot of item and balance changes, etc. It isn't a game you pay monthly for so $10 every 3 months if you want to, isn't bad at all. They are supposed to do all of that for the one time fee of owning the game? I mean, they are, but I have no issue throwing some money at them for the work. It's like people want D4 supported the way D3 was "supported". Come on, now.

Last edited:

Fredrik

How much is the battle pass?
If you think you’ll enjoy playing the game and if it’s not too expensive it might be worth it.

This is weird but I count everything in pizza 🍕 🤓 I eat pizza minimum once per week and don’t think much about the cost as long as they’re yummy. Cost me roughly $10 and takes me 30 minutes max to eat one. Makes me think about gaming costs differently if it’s just the cost of a pizza and if it can give me hours of entertainment.

The game needs to be F2P to have this sort of ongoing system in it.

I say this as someone who has paid for battle passes and currently plays multiple GAAS games.

My brain can't rationalize paying $100 CAD for an amazing 40 hour experience, and then an additional $20 for 1/1000 the level of content and experience. It highlights a very obvious lack of value that feels unattractive

If the game was free to play, I'd be 300 hours deep, and approaching my third $20 pass. I think that level of engagement is more important long term than 500 million dollars in the first month.

So then dont spend the additional $20 then? Some of you guys acting like drama queens over a bunch of cosmetics.

Top Bottom